O|D ER-301: Sound Computer (Available Now!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Just for reference, how much cpu does the "harmonic oscillator" take up on the ER-301?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Not sure, I rarely checked CPU usage since I didn't have a problem with it :)

I sold mine a while back since I found my actual priorities were a bit different than I had planned for. I'd still say it was an excellent module and I learned a bit from implementing various things in it.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:15 pm

what about the i2c connection? is the process of connecting and mapping the 16n controller to it? I bought one a while ago on the chance that I might grab an ER-301 eventually

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 pm

ZargZorg wrote:what about the i2c connection? is the process of connecting and mapping the 16n controller to it? I bought one a while ago on the chance that I might grab an ER-301 eventually
There's a whole thread on this over at the OD Discussion Forum, lots of good info!

Here it is!
doomlove.

My Eurorack

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:05 pm

ZargZorg wrote:what about the i2c connection? is the process of connecting and mapping the 16n controller to it? I bought one a while ago on the chance that I might grab an ER-301 eventually
totally works with the 16n by the way...

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Remember that original er301 demo before it was released that sold all of us early adopters? I been thinking about that video and what originally drew me to the er301, back to the basics, simple audio scrubbing. It can do so much it’s easy to forget about this. So much fun, and sounds great on the 301. Two instances of it running here. What you see is the vocal track but I also have a piano sample track scrubbing as well on channel two!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:38 pm

brandonlogic wrote:Remember that original er301 demo before it was released that sold all of us early adopters? I been thinking about that video and what originally drew me to the er301, back to the basics, simple audio scrubbing. It can do so much it’s easy to forget about this. So much fun, and sounds great on the 301. Two instances of it running here. What you see is the vocal track but I also have a piano sample track scrubbing as well on channel two!
This remains my main use for the module.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:10 am

brandonlogic wrote:Remember that original er301 demo before it was released that sold all of us early adopters? I been thinking about that video and what originally drew me to the er301, back to the basics, simple audio scrubbing. It can do so much it’s easy to forget about this. So much fun, and sounds great on the 301. Two instances of it running here. What you see is the vocal track but I also have a piano sample track scrubbing as well on channel two!
Niiice! :yay:
It can do a lot of interesting things, but I agree, audio scrubbing is probably one of the things it does best.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 am

somehow i thought that the presets i made and samples i uploaded would be kept after the firmware update (as i remember it was like this when updating to jasmine?) - but now i lost everything when was booting v0.4 'fennel'. it's not a big deal as i see this like another chance to build better patches and to learn the machine more but i want to share the advice from the od-wiki:
Warning! There is a possibility that quicksaves and presets made with newer firmware versions are not backwards compatible. So to be safe you should make a copy of your ER-301/sc directory before switching firmware.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:30 am

slumberjack wrote:somehow i thought that the presets i made and samples i uploaded would be kept after the firmware update (as i remember it was like this when updating to jasmine?) - but now i lost everything when was booting v0.4 'fennel'. it's not a big deal as i see this like another chance to build better patches and to learn the machine more but i want to share the advice from the od-wiki:
Warning! There is a possibility that quicksaves and presets made with newer firmware versions are not backwards compatible. So to be safe you should make a copy of your ER-301/sc directory before switching firmware.
You didn't lose anything. Your old preset files are still on your SD card where you saved them. If you downgrade the firmware, you will see them again.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:45 pm

akrylik wrote:
slumberjack wrote:somehow i thought that the presets i made and samples i uploaded would be kept after the firmware update (as i remember it was like this when updating to jasmine?) - but now i lost everything when was booting v0.4 'fennel'. it's not a big deal as i see this like another chance to build better patches and to learn the machine more but i want to share the advice from the od-wiki:
You didn't lose anything. Your old preset files are still on your SD card where you saved them. If you downgrade the firmware, you will see them again.
oh thanks. maybe there is one patch i liked a lot and don't know how to replicate it.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: O|D ER-301: Sound Computer (Available Now!)

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:27 am

Here's a short explaination + jam of how I use the ER-301 in this mini system. I find it very inspiring to lay the basis of track while I'm away from my main system. I wanted to do it from scratch at first but it would probably have ended up being quite boring. Also, first try at recording my voice so I hope it isn't too cringey.

small taster :

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Nice sounds here !

Here’s a patch made with the ER-301 as the main sound source and effect. Additional voice is coming from Just Friends + Clouds and there’s also some Mimeophon :)

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm

So it came to pass that the 301 got its 0.5 release, which allows you to use some ~20–30% more CPU power before buffer underruns occur (depending on the firmware variant). This is nice.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:52 pm

the perfect er301 expander, i just got it working now!
just proof it works:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Here's a little example of how the er301 can be used for granular, similar to Clouds and Morphagene (x3!). In this patch i have a looper buffer feeding three manual grain units.
Each grain unit has individual control for level, pitch, grain length and trigger speed. Then also have a shared common control for position, these could all be cv controllable as well, by simply plugging cv into the sweet sixteen (passing the cv to the 301 via i2c, the faders become cv in attenuators for that input). Check out the vid, first you hear the incoming signal (rings) then I bring in the three manual grain units one at a time. basic patch, just showing what can be done.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:36 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:15 pm
Here's a little example of how the er301 can be used for granular, similar to Clouds and Morphagene (x3!). In this patch i have a looper buffer feeding three manual grain units.
Each grain unit has individual control for level, pitch, grain length and trigger speed. Then also have a shared common control for position, these could all be cv controllable as well, by simply plugging cv into the sweet sixteen (passing the cv to the 301 via i2c, the faders become cv in attenuators for that input). Check out the vid, first you hear the incoming signal (rings) then I bring in the three manual grain units one at a time. basic patch, just showing what can be done.

Sweet! :party: gonna try to patch that up myself later.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Cool vids, brandonlogic.

I'm glad you included a bit of external modulation being converted, since I've been skeptical that it would work well. It seems to work well enough with a couple of channels, though I do still wonder how it would fare with more channels or closer-to-audio-rate signals.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:57 am

miminashi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 pm
Cool vids, brandonlogic.

I'm glad you included a bit of external modulation being converted, since I've been skeptical that it would work well. It seems to work well enough with a couple of channels, though I do still wonder how it would fare with more channels or closer-to-audio-rate signals.

I can tell you that its not suited for audio rate signals. once you get to 20hz you hear artifacts. Its best used for envelopes, lfos, stepped volts, gates and triggers, which is perfectly OK with me. there's sill plenty of inputs on the 301 itself that can handle audio rates just fine.
Its mostly a tactical controller, which is essential for the er301, giving it a playable interface. i look at it's cv inputs as a really nice bonus.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:00 pm

I put together a new mini system with once again the 301 as the brain : looper, delay, FX, filters. A mini Ableton Live. I love using it in this context.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:59 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:00 pm
I put together a new mini system with once again the 301 as the brain : looper, delay, FX, filters. A mini Ableton Live. I love using it in this context.
Cool!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:45 am

Thanks @dubonaire !

I was suprised with the filters they sound pretty good !

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm

By any chance would anyone know of a video which shows how to replace a panel of an ER-301?

Sorry if this may have been asked before but just couldn’t any links or thread on the topic. I have one on the way but have struggled to decide on the panel as they are all amazing.
Would be keen to see how hard it is to swap if I wanted to.

jmax313
Common Wiggler

Post by jmax313 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 pm

otnemem wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm
By any chance would anyone know of a video which shows how to replace a panel of an ER-301?

Sorry if this may have been asked before but just couldn’t any links or thread on the topic. I have one on the way but have struggled to decide on the panel as they are all amazing.
Would be keen to see how hard it is to swap if I wanted to.
Yes: http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index ... and_Repair

It's not difficult. I've had success with tongue pliers for the nuts (I duct taped their edges to avoid scratches). You'll need a wrench (or tongue plier works) and allen key for the rotary knob, that's easy to remove. You need to be very very careful with the screen though, if any piece of debris gets in their you will have a scratched screen - take it from my dumb experience.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. I had actually found that link but was hoping to stumble upon a video of some sorts. I’m ok with DIY but by far not a veteran - don’t want to screw up in the first week!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”