O|D ER-301: Sound Computer (Temporarily Unavailable)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Re: O|D ER-301: Sound Computer (Temporarily Unavailable)

Post by SavageMessiah » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:39 pm

Thedoge wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:11 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Brian has said that the CPU upgrade will be something you can do with an existing module. Also, it's absurd making your buying decisions based on the idle speculations of uninformed randos on an internet forum.
anyway why pay 1200-1500 for one used (and buy a new CPU later +cost) if in a few months an improved version for a 900 budget is going to be released?

I mean I have a lot of modules to have fun with, I can wait a bit more for one
Waiting because used prices are too high makes sense. I've just noticed a trend on this forum where someone will be avoiding buying a module because somebody who knows nothing about the manufacturer's plans thought they heard a bird whispering behind their toilet that there was going to be a mk2 or something.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:48 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:39 pm
heard a bird whispering
....still waiting for the expander to be announced *grayhairemoji*
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:07 pm

:love:

TME
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TME » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm

desolationjones wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:07 pm
:love:
Codename: thoon. Love it!

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:58 am

I'm nowhere near smart enough for the code side of the 301 (like I literally don't know what the screenshot above is/means) but is it possible that this would allow for an offline visual editor of sorts?

I came from a nord modular background and it was such an immediate and inspiring platform to be able to just drag boxes about and connect bits up (even when not connected directly to the synth) that I just don't get with the 301.

Don't get me wrong, I think the interface is great for the format but for some reason it just doesn't inspire me to think about and experiment with patch architecture in the same way as a bunch of connected blocks (or actual modules and cables).

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 am

erstlaub wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:58 am
I'm nowhere near smart enough for the code side of the 301 (like I literally don't know what the screenshot above is/means) but is it possible that this would allow for an offline visual editor of sorts?

I came from a nord modular background and it was such an immediate and inspiring platform to be able to just drag boxes about and connect bits up (even when not connected directly to the synth) that I just don't get with the 301.

Don't get me wrong, I think the interface is great for the format but for some reason it just doesn't inspire me to think about and experiment with patch architecture in the same way as a bunch of connected blocks (or actual modules and cables).
I can sympathize with both points - have you considered pure data on the bela salt module? It is basically connecting blocks on a computer and loading them up to the module.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm

erstlaub wrote:

You know there ar so many smart generous people on the ER-301 forum sharing their custom units that you don't really need to make any of your own, other than stitching chains of them together. I don't really use it a modular inside a modular, I mainly use it a sampler with powerful mangling possibilities.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:37 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm
erstlaub wrote:

You know there ar so many smart generous people on the ER-301 forum sharing their custom units that you don't really need to make any of your own, other than stitching chains of them together. I don't really use it a modular inside a modular, I mainly use it a sampler with powerful mangling possibilities.
Yeah, it's rare that I'm using my ER-301 and it doesn't involve varispeed player, manual loops, manual grains, dub/feedback looper, etc.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:30 pm

The emulator looks amazing. I've actually mothballed my 301 for the most part and often consider selling it (if only to get it into the hands of someone who will use it more and appreciate it more), but developments like this make me glad that I've held onto it.

Thedoge
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thedoge » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:39 pm
Thedoge wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:11 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 pm
Brian has said that the CPU upgrade will be something you can do with an existing module. Also, it's absurd making your buying decisions based on the idle speculations of uninformed randos on an internet forum.
anyway why pay 1200-1500 for one used (and buy a new CPU later +cost) if in a few months an improved version for a 900 budget is going to be released?

I mean I have a lot of modules to have fun with, I can wait a bit more for one
Waiting because used prices are too high makes sense. I've just noticed a trend on this forum where someone will be avoiding buying a module because somebody who knows nothing about the manufacturer's plans thought they heard a bird whispering behind their toilet that there was going to be a mk2 or something.
that's the point, I would be happy to pay for one now but not at any price mostly if there is a possibility that OD is going to reopen their shop than a rumor about a better CPU itself

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am

I am guessing that Brian from OD is regretting that he ever mentioned the CPU upgrade concept. He really just said in an offhand way in a forum thread that the CPU was on a separate daughtercard and the design didn't depend on it, and somehow people interpreted that to mean he was intending to build an upgrade card. AFAICT there has never been any promise or even unequivocal statement of intent to make it, more like "yeah, it's possible, maybe after firmware 1.0 ships I will start to think about it".

I love my ER-301, it's an anchor of my system and an amazing piece of design and engineering. But it has limits like everything else, and living within the limits that there are today is part of owning any gear.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm

bgribble wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am
I am guessing that Brian from OD is regretting that he ever mentioned the CPU upgrade concept. He really just said in an offhand way in a forum thread that the CPU was on a separate daughtercard and the design didn't depend on it, and somehow people interpreted that to mean he was intending to build an upgrade card. AFAICT there has never been any promise or even unequivocal statement of intent to make it, more like "yeah, it's possible, maybe after firmware 1.0 ships I will start to think about it".

I love my ER-301, it's an anchor of my system and an amazing piece of design and engineering. But it has limits like everything else, and living within the limits that there are today is part of owning any gear.
I think he was more firm about it than that but I don't recall exactly. It's already super capable so :despair:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:16 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm
bgribble wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am

I think he was more firm about it than that but I don't recall exactly. It's already super capable so :despair:
He was more firm, but then backed away a little when the thread in which he mentioned it got quite bizarre with people complaining about planned obsolescence and having other odd arguments. He said he would revisit the issue once he got to a stable V1.0 version.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Ah, figures.

vasculator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 pm

like others have said, it's already super capable. i personally wouldn't care if the CPU is never able to be upgraded. i use it mostly for sample mangling/granular, sine waves, FM units made by Joe (in the Accents framework), and other things over the past 4 years. it's incredible just as a cv controlled sampler/sample playback module, let alone all the other things it can do. CPU limit has never been a problem for me personally, but i do tend to kind of use it "simply" i guess. the effects aren't incredibly DSP intense or "rich", but there are ways to patch around that w/ other modules of course. the delays are a lot of fun and sound good.
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm

Someone's selling one for $4000 up my way. Toxic individual.

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:49 am

The big one dropped today: https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com/t/v ... -mods/5246

-Firmware is now open-source.
-Package system for user contributions.
-SDK for developing units.
-ER-301 emulator with audio out for Linux.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:05 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm
Not really. If someone actually pays that, I would wish him well with his €4k.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:54 pm

minimalist wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:05 pm
Nutritional Zero wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm
Not really. If someone actually pays that, I would wish him well with his €4k.
It's in funny canadian dollars (saw the 4000$ ad too this morning on my local listings). Toxic individual pretty much describes it.

Mr. Wiggles

Post by Mr. Wiggles » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Is there something offensive in the ad other than the price?

I'd never pay $4000 for an ER-301, CAD or USD, but if someone's willing to pay that much, then I say more power to whoever's selling it, so long as they're not a jerk about it. No one's under any obligation to resell at MSRP.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:11 pm

This is so cool I’m unsure what to do with myself - Paul stretch (as an expample) , norns crossovers, ect
The cpu upgrade is def happening and has been planned for
It means we can make our oupwn expanders that do cv out...no need to rely on Brian....
look up!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:28 pm

I've been wanting one of these since I read about it on Muffs when I first joined. A few questions:

1. What was the original MSRP?
2. Why are these such unobtainium?
3. I gather the units were built-to-order, but that has been suspended. Will production start up ever again?

Since I mainly like sampler/buffer stuff, especially time-stretching (e.g., 0.01x-speed), the ER-301 was the holy grail. I was planning on getting a Synthesis Technology E520 since it also goes down to 0.01x-speed (and has an eight-minute stereo-buffer), but since its focus isn't as a sampler, I passed. I guess I'll just wait for the Mordax GXN, which I'm guessing is the next best thing to a 301.
Last edited by studio460 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 pm

studio460 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:28 pm
I've been wanting one of these since I read about it on Muffs when I first joined. A few questions:

1. What was the original MSRP?
2. Why are these such unobtainium?
3. I gather the units were built-to-order, but that has been suspended. Will production start up ever again?

Since I mainly like sampler/buffer stuff, especially time-stretching (e.g., 0.01x-speed), the ER-301 was the holy grail. I was planning on getting a Synthesis Technology E520 since it also goes down to 0.01x-speed, but since its focus isn't as a sampler, I passed. I guess I'll just wait for the Mordax GXN.
1. 900 usd
2. He stopped shipping international during the pandemic
3. Yes.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! How do you think it compares to the coming Mordax GXN?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 pm

studio460 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm
Thanks for the quick reply! How do you think it compares to the coming Mordax GXN?
They are not really the same. The E-301 does much more, has a lot more I/O and is designed so custom units can be shared. http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index ... Essentials

There is also the Percussa SSP https://www.percussa.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”