Erica Synths Graphic VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm

suthnear wrote:
azrrik wrote:I updated to the 0.19 firmware in hopes that it would fix the tuning problem. It does not.
Don't know what the 0.19 update did. The tuning thing is clearly a bug and the manual indicates that you should be able to offset this. Hopefully this function is added in the forthcoming firmware update.

More worryingly, the main encoder click function failed entirely on mine. This rendered the module totally useless as anything other than a sine wave generator (both waves start as sines; the default state of the FX processor is off). Erica have been great about sorting it out, but it has given me pause about modules that start in a default state and then require clicking on encoders to do anything useful...
I'm waiting to see if this tuning and tracking deficit will be fixed in the next update.

My unit also suffered from the right encoder click function not working but I figured that the knob was resting too low on the underlying potentiometer stem causing the knob skirt to touch the module's front face-plate thus preventing the required downward travel for the switching action. This was easily cured by simply taking the knob off and inserting a small circular piece of 0.5 mm plastic sheet into the top of the removed knob before refitting. This sort of stuff shouldn't be happening.

Bit surprised by this, my first Erica Synths module, as I thought they had a quality act reputation.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Thu May 09, 2019 7:27 am

It's Superbooth!

Any news of the update? Was hoping for some :cloud:

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu May 09, 2019 10:35 am

joskery wrote:It's Superbooth!

Any news of the update? Was hoping for some :cloud:
They said an announcement is coming, at SB or right after.

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Fri May 10, 2019 6:45 pm

It was supposed to be in February but i guess its coming.
We are also getting a PC Editor for user WaveTables. Love it.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Sat May 11, 2019 2:24 am

Btw, has anyone noticed on their unit that when using the A-B wavetable mode, for some reason the rightmost modulation input cannot be fully attenuated using the associated knob? It works in other modes, crazy.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Sat May 11, 2019 10:20 am

Not noticed this one specifically. But the module has a few oddities when it comes to parameter ranges so it wouldn't surprise me.

I got the replacement from Erica. Very glad to have it back (although I was hoping it might have new firmware :) ). While there might be a few bugs it remains an amazing and inspirational module.

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 pm

suthnear wrote:Not noticed this one specifically. But the module has a few oddities when it comes to parameter ranges so it wouldn't surprise me.
fx amount and fx knobs make no sense on my module. if i se fx amount as amount/scale/width and fx as rate, it doesn't behave in that way at all. i tried the other way around as well as different default stages like 7o clock and 12.
at full range the rate sometimes gives AM-like behaviour and sometimes Nothing like it's at zero :hmm:
also internal clocked lfo are either hyper fast or slipstream fast

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat May 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Superbooth news on the Graphic VCO. Specific update info starts at 3:30:
[video][/video]

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 pm

vantablack wrote:
suthnear wrote:Not noticed this one specifically. But the module has a few oddities when it comes to parameter ranges so it wouldn't surprise me.
fx amount and fx knobs make no sense on my module. if i se fx amount as amount/scale/width and fx as rate, it doesn't behave in that way at all. i tried the other way around as well as different default stages like 7o clock and 12.
at full range the rate sometimes gives AM-like behaviour and sometimes Nothing like it's at zero :hmm:
also internal clocked lfo are either hyper fast or slipstream fast
You sound fairly confused. "If i se fx amount as amount/scale/width and fx as rate, it doesn't behave in that" doesn't really make sense to me. You set the effect type with the top left encoder. And then use the right encoder to set various parameters for the effect. The FX amount pot then controls the amount of the effect. Some go from minimum at full anti-clockwise to maximum at full clockwise, while others are maximum at each end, with minimum in the middle. The FX pot controls a parameter for the effect.

e.g. if you turn the left encoder, the first effect is FM. Use the right encoder to change MOD to OSC. If you now turn the FX pot, you will see that it changes the frequency parameter. If you turn on sync, frequency will become a multiplier and you can select integer multiples to set up harmonically related carrier:modulator relationships.

Does this help?

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Sat May 11, 2019 6:57 pm

suthnear wrote: You sound fairly confused. "If i se fx amount as amount/scale/width and fx as rate, it doesn't behave in that" doesn't really make sense to me. You set the effect type with the top left encoder. And then use the right encoder to set various parameters for the effect. The FX amount pot then controls the amount of the effect. Some go from minimum at full anti-clockwise to maximum at full clockwise, while others are maximum at each end, with minimum in the middle. The FX pot controls a parameter for the effect.

e.g. if you turn the left encoder, the first effect is FM. Use the right encoder to change MOD to OSC. If you now turn the FX pot, you will see that it changes the frequency parameter. If you turn on sync, frequency will become a multiplier and you can select integer multiples to set up harmonically related carrier:modulator relationships.

Does this help?
Were/am i mistaken in how i thought fx amount worked? My interpretation were/is that left encoder is used when setting up fx type on left side and how to modulate it on the right side. When done and out in scope mode i thought that fx knob or cv in controlled the frequency rate, and fx amount knob and cv controlled depth of the effect.

Ah yes. I simply didn't realise that it is multiplier :doh: as obvious as on analog four. I still don't get why some fx are zero at cw, some at 12 and what not. Feels like a hastle when using cv modulation to remember which fx starts at 12 or cw/5v instead of using linear 0-5, ccw to cw if the knobs are attenuators.

Yes and i am still confused, yes you are helping

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Sun May 12, 2019 2:43 pm

With the internal OSC or IN as the modulator, increasing FX AMT always increases the depth for each effect. That is to say, regardless of what FX is set to, FX AMT always goes from minimum to maximum.

With POT as the modulation source, it's a bit less obvious:
FM, RM - since these effects depends on one oscillator modulating another, the pot can't do much (since you can't turn the pot quickly or smoothly enough backwards and forwards to simulate an oscillator). If you know how the effect works then what the pot is doing sort of makes sense, but it is not terribly useful.
PHDIST, FOLD, WRAP - the pot causes the chosen wave to be phase distorted, wave folded or wave wrapped positively or negatively, with the middle of the range being no effect (i.e. the unaffected wave). I often prefer using POT for these effects since you can dial in a very specific level of the effect. It will definitely help you figure out what PHDIST is if you don't know this effect
CRUSH, DRIVE just increases the amount of the effect. These are the ones you would expect to work best with POT. CRUSH is a rather weak effect considering how good the same effect sounds on Erica's black wavetable VCO. Also, it sounds much more like sample rate reduction than bit crushing. Both these effects work better in the lower registers and with waves that have more harmonics in them

hth

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am

Richard deHove wrote:Superbooth news on the Graphic VCO. Specific update info starts at 3:30:
[video][/video]
This looks great. I wish we had some timeline for the update, as I’ll probably take it out of my case if it’s some ways off, still... not a fan of the current state of the OS, but eager to dive in because it sounds great.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu May 23, 2019 7:26 am

Updated it to 0.20. Fine tune works fine, but what I've noticed is that normal tuning doesn't always go fully to the claimed note eg. it would say D# but it is really 50 cents off. I would then have to go to fine tune to make sure it's at 0 cents, which is a little fiddly. Tracking is fine, even calibrated it a few times to make sure.

Is there any way to make the tuning pot act as a general coarse tuning pot?

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am

I really wish that the knobs did not become attenuators. That is my only pet peeve currently. Anyway to disable that function so I can use my own attenuators and get full range of modulation?

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am

Shledge wrote:Updated it to 0.20. Fine tune works fine, but what I've noticed is that normal tuning doesn't always go fully to the claimed note eg. it would say D# but it is really 50 cents off. I would then have to go to fine tune to make sure it's at 0 cents, which is a little fiddly. Tracking is fine, even calibrated it a few times to make sure.

Is there any way to make the tuning pot act as a general coarse tuning pot?
So the update is out? Percussion mode and all?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Seems like it, but I haven't tried all of the functionality.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Thu May 23, 2019 4:55 pm

There is now a calibration function (set with a 1v and 5v reference voltage), but it still doesn't seem possible to fine tune the module. Even with quantisation off, the tune knob steps in semi tones. What's really odd is that the left encoder doesn't do anything in this mode. It would be great if you could use it as fine tune here.

The sub oscillator waves now at least are correct, but they're still not phase aligned with the main waveform and drift subtly, even with detune set to 0. Mix is still the wrong way around: the sub oscillator signal is at 0, not 100.

Drum mode doesn't make any sound for me. But the manual hasn't been updated so maybe I am just doing something wrong.

Oh, and quantise doesn't seem to work very well at all. It gets stuck on notes even though you can see the incoming voltage changing on the calibration page. I have never really used it so I don't know if this is a regression.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Thu May 23, 2019 7:32 pm

:bang: oh how I hope this is not the actual release... I mean, I can’t even sell this thing with a good conscience, the way things are.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri May 24, 2019 2:19 am

Fine tune works by holding the left encoder and moving the right encoder.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 am

Shledge wrote:Fine tune works by holding the left encoder and moving the right encoder.
Not for me it doesn't. Also, I have to recalibrate every time I turn on. This is not good...

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Fri May 24, 2019 12:59 pm

suthnear wrote:The sub oscillator waves now at least are correct, but they're still not phase aligned with the main waveform and drift subtly, even with detune set to 0. Mix is still the wrong way around: the sub oscillator signal is at 0, not 100.
Sub only mix is at 0 and both at 100? Is using only sub out with both signals mixed useable now? Morph didn't work with smooth setting before if output through sub out, I need to free a vca input :/

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat May 25, 2019 3:59 pm

suthnear wrote:
Shledge wrote:Fine tune works by holding the left encoder and moving the right encoder.
Not for me it doesn't. Also, I have to recalibrate every time I turn on. This is not good...
Sorry, hold the right encoder and the turn the left to fine tune. It will tune as expected.

I haven't had to recalibrate.

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Sat May 25, 2019 10:21 pm

So by reading this, i should not even update. Scary!
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun May 26, 2019 4:22 am

Is it possible to go back to the previous firmware *if* the update is not working for whatever reason?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sun May 26, 2019 4:40 am

Used it extensively yesterday on 0.20, my impressions:

- Coarse tuning does work as expected when quantisation is off, just that it still shows the notes so it may throw off people. The other problem is that the tuning is too coarse, meaning dialling it in with that alone is difficult. This confused me into thinking it was trying to tune to semitones, but wasn't always achieving it.
- Fine tuning works well, but it's not immediately obvious on how to access it. Hold right encoder and turn left.
- Sub level is still reversed.
- Haven't had to recalibrate anything, it's pretty much spot on in that aspect for me.
- Drum mode is a little confusing, but it does work. I just need more time with it. Documentation hasn't been released to explain it yet.
- Quantising works fine for me.
- I wish they gave unipolar CV ranges for the likes of morph - at the moment I set it to -/+2.5v and offset if I want to use unipolar LFOs.

Overall, apart from the above small issues, I would say it's still an improvement over the last firmware.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”