Bastl Knit Rider Upgrading firmware

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

smurf
Common Wiggler

Bastl Knit Rider Upgrading firmware

Post by smurf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:55 am

Hi,
I would like to upgrade the Knit Rider with the latest firmware. I read on another thread (maybe for the grandpa - not sure) - that I'll need this ..

5v version. Has anyone updated their Knit Rider firmware? Is this the right FTDI breakout. Is it obvious how to attach it to the Knit Rider? Any info would be great - I haven't heard from support at bastl - I guess they are recovering from Superbooth ;)

Thanks!
Stephen

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Bastl Knit Rider Upgrading firmware

Post by exper » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:38 am

smurf wrote:Hi,
I would like to upgrade the Knit Rider with the latest firmware. I read on another thread (maybe for the grandpa - not sure) - that I'll need this ..

5v version. Has anyone updated their Knit Rider firmware? Is this the right FTDI breakout. Is it obvious how to attach it to the Knit Rider? Any info would be great - I haven't heard from support at bastl - I guess they are recovering from Superbooth ;)

Thanks!
Stephen
Not that I can help you with the ftdi dongle, but is there info or a link on the knit rider firmware upgrade? I just bought one (which arrives today)...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:16 am

Yep, also a happy Knit Rider owner wondering what the new features would be.
Can't seem to see anything on the site or fb.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:11 am

That looks like the one I have, as well as the one Bastl Instruments sell themselves: http://noise.kitchen/shop/accessories/ftdi-usb-board/

Happy hacking :mrgreen:

smurf
Common Wiggler

Post by smurf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:04 pm

flx wrote:
That looks like the one I have, as well as the one Bastl Instruments sell themselves: http://noise.kitchen/shop/accessories/ftdi-usb-board/

Happy hacking :mrgreen:
Great thanks ! Missed that link to their site.

smurf
Common Wiggler

Post by smurf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Ok the FTDi breakout board has GND at one end and DTR on the other - anyone knows which way up this goes on the module?
Also I found the hex files here...
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/production
Thanks!
Stephen

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 pm

where is the link to the new firmware? Love to see some "fixenup" of the CV trinity too
look up!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 am

smurf wrote:Ok the FTDi breakout board has GND at one end and DTR on the other - anyone knows which way up this goes on the module?
Also I found the hex files here...
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/production
Thanks!
Stephen
If you look at the back of the module, the USB port and the IC on the FTDI are usually facing left. Haven't connected it to my Knit Rider yet though, but on the other modules it was like that. If the FTDI doesn't light up when plugging it into the USB port, then unplug it immediately and turn the FTDI around.

smurf
Common Wiggler

Post by smurf » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Hey flx " the USB port and the IC on the FTDI are usually facing left" - do you mean like this?

Looks like the connection on the Knit Rider faces straight out instead - so just need to know if GND is the bottom connection or top.
Thanks
Stephen

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:43 pm

far wrote:Yep, also a happy Knit Rider owner wondering what the new features would be.
Soooo.....any info on this update?

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Matos wrote:
far wrote:Yep, also a happy Knit Rider owner wondering what the new features would be.
Soooo.....any info on this update?
The only info I could find is on github:
knit rider fix - rhythm collapse when first change pattern or mute
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/pr ... tRider.hex

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 am

smurf wrote:Hey flx " the USB port and the IC on the FTDI are usually facing left" - do you mean like this?
Oh, okay. Didn't know that you had to dismantle the back of the module. It looks like the LEDs on the FTDI adapter are lit though, so that seems like the correct orientation.

smurf
Common Wiggler

Post by smurf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:00 am

Hi,
I got a reply from Bastl re upgrading the firmware ...

"If you connect FTDI in wrong direction, nothing wrong will happen. You will not just upload the SW correctly and FTDI will probably blink with red LED all the time. However I attach you the photo of uploading the firmware on the knit rider unit in correct way."

Hope this helps!

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:57 am

So that github code was from from 4 months ago, and I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if it is already updated...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:03 am

And what does this upgrade do anyway ? :mad:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

smurf
Common Wiggler

Post by smurf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:20 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:And what does this upgrade do anyway ? :mad:
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/pr ... e339aa123c :party:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:22 am

smurf wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:And what does this upgrade do anyway ? :mad:
https://github.com/bastl-instruments/pr ... e339aa123c :party:
"rhythm collapse", sounds like a Harvestman feature to me :hihi:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:30 am

Would love a feature where you could somehow chain patterns together, or make it change patterns by sending it a pulse or something.

Anyone been able to figure out what this rhythm collapse thing does?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:36 am

Daisuk wrote:Would love a feature where you could somehow chain patterns together, or make it change patterns by sending it a pulse or something.

Anyone been able to figure out what this rhythm collapse thing does?
Hej,

I don't think it's a feature mate :razz: I think it means the rhythm collapsed when pattern was changed / muted. What they could do is designate that pattern length A as the "main" one and when that reaches its assigned end position instead of looping everything moves to next preset, so that the module just cycles through presets. Song Mode or something ...

Queequeg
Common Wiggler

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 am

Although I am pleased with the knit rider, I was surprised there was no 'song mode' or similar...seems like a no brainer. Implementation as you describe it seems reasonable.
I also think the expander should be a part of the standard module, but anway...

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:33 am

Queequeg wrote:Although I am pleased with the knit rider, I was surprised there was no 'song mode' or similar...seems like a no brainer. Implementation as you describe it seems reasonable.
I also think the expander should be a part of the standard module, but anway...
Agreed. I'm hoping they consolidate all 3 panels when they make the aluminum variations.

Something else I'd like to see added, is a hold input. Similar to beat jump, but it will hold and loop the current step when gate is high.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:44 am

Bought the Knit Rider by impulse--was going to get a CR, but concerned with the size/cost. Ecstatic with the KR, so far--good interface and very playable. Biggest pain is the tiny and hard to read text on the Bastl panels. The aluminum panels will be worthless (to me) without larger clear labels.

The output side-car panel is puzzling--wonder why they did that? The jacks need their own pcb because of the height difference with the buttons, but why the separate panels--and cables too short to switch sides? The expander only has a couple of functions--should have been part of the main board.

Knit picking aside--this module has improved my percussion sequencing in a major way. This morning I ordered a ladik dual probability skipper and a logic module to introduce some variation and add extra channels to the KR.

Digitek
Learning to Wiggle

Knit Ryder Expantion problems

Post by Digitek » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Im experience some problems with the EX from knit ryder like clock out and reset not working propertly any one experience same problem??

Slomen
Common Wiggler

Re: Knit Ryder Expantion problems

Post by Slomen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Digitek wrote:Im experience some problems with the EX from knit ryder like clock out and reset not working propertly any one experience same problem??
Yes I have! I´ve contacted them but have not had the time to make a video of whats happening. The reset is not working properly and sometimes it skips/jumps a head or something like that..

far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
The output side-car panel is puzzling--wonder why they did that? The jacks need their own pcb because of the height difference with the buttons, but why the separate panels--and cables too short to switch sides? The expander only has a couple of functions--should have been part of the main board.
Read this a couple of people now. Not sure if I received a different version, but there was no issues swapping sides. Personally I think it's a great idea, frees up the button panel if all the trigger outs are generally going in one direction.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”