Bastl Knit Rider Upgrading firmware

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:33 pm

far wrote:
Read this a couple of people now. Not sure if I received a different version, but there was no issues swapping sides. Personally I think it's a great idea, frees up the button panel if all the trigger outs are generally going in one direction.
If they're making the bus cable longer now, then I agree completely--it is handy if you want to choose the direction of the cable routing. Being right handed, I have the KR on the far right side of one of my skiffs, but I'd be pissed if I was left-handed and couldn't flip the output panel.

Digitek
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Knit Ryder Expantion problems

Post by Digitek » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Slomen wrote:
Digitek wrote:Im experience some problems with the EX from knit ryder like clock out and reset not working propertly any one experience same problem??
Yes I have! I´ve contacted them but have not had the time to make a video of whats happening. The reset is not working properly and sometimes it skips/jumps a head or something like that..
mm i make videos and arround 20 emails change ic , change cables check all connectors and still not working... just planing to sell it and change for a diferent sequencer...

Digitek
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Knit Ryder Expantion problems

Post by Digitek » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:01 pm

far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:09 am

Starting to use this more and more, but up to this point I've used it as a simple 16 step sequencer then occasionally used or logic for variations after the output. Haven't really dived into it.

My question is about the bars, I just can't figure out what they do. I select a different bar, add steps, it still plays/loops the pattern selected (bar 1). Also, the substeps... I can't seem to make sense of these either. I've selected for experimentation, nothing seems to change at the output. I've rtfm over.

Also very much wanting a song mode.
Apart from that very much love this module for percussion.

Edit. as usual whenever Im stuck on something and I ask a question, I always seem to figure it out straight after. Have to select active steps in each bar first.

Nevertheless, friggin sweet jut added another 48 steps to my sequencer.

Double edit. figured out substeps to, turns out I was in gate mode, for some reason I assumed I was in trigger.

Oh well

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:38 am

far wrote:Starting to use this more and more, but up to this point I've used it as a simple 16 step sequencer then occasionally used or logic for variations after the output. Haven't really dived into it.

My question is about the bars, I just can't figure out what they do. I select a different bar, add steps, it still plays/loops the pattern selected (bar 1). Also, the substeps... I can't seem to make sense of these either. I've selected for experimentation, nothing seems to change at the output. I've rtfm over.

Also very much wanting a song mode.
Apart from that very much love this module for percussion.

Edit. as usual whenever Im stuck on something and I ask a question, I always seem to figure it out straight after. Have to select active steps in each bar first.

Nevertheless, friggin sweet jut added another 48 steps to my sequencer.

Double edit. figured out substeps to, turns out I was in gate mode, for some reason I assumed I was in trigger.

Oh well
Have you tried to rtfm? ;) you need to set active step length for a channel, otherwise you'll only play the first bar.

artofcode
Learning to Wiggle

Knit rider 1.5 firmware

Post by artofcode » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Is there really so little love here for Knit Rider? Nothing about the 1.5 firmware upgrade?
Regardless, can someone post a photo or diagram of the cables connecting the main unit to the separate (for some dumb reason) jack panel?
After replacing the atmega chip, my jack panel leds are all lit (which is wrong) and the KR ain’t doin nothin’. I’m guessing the cables are connected wrong.

TIA.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:38 am

here you go (hard to follow the curly cables, but if you zoom in you can):

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Knit rider 1.5 firmware

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:59 pm

artofcode wrote:Is there really so little love here for Knit Rider? Nothing about the 1.5 firmware upgrade?
It's really good. The option of toggling the Pattern On/Off really changed the way I look at the module. It got me to reread the manual so I can start actually saving patterns and moving between patterns on the fly, muting voices and whatnot.

The random options for Gate length are ok, I guess. Wish those and swing were per-channel, but we can't have everything I guess.

Timing looks tight but I never had problems anyway, so what do I know?
I also caved in and bought the expander as I need that Reset. Right now the invert output is super useful as it kills my notes on my ADDAC222 (it needs a NoteOff gate) which is a nice thing to have when using random Gate lengths. It was god given, but I still wish they had the Reset input on the main module. No complains anyway. Knit Rider is a brilliant module, I love mine.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

whitmo
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Knit rider 1.5 firmware

Post by whitmo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 am

artofcode wrote: After replacing the atmega chip, my jack panel leds are all lit (which is wrong) and the KR ain’t doin nothin’. I’m guessing the cables are connected wrong.

TIA.
Having the same issue. anyone have any ideas what might be the fix?

dontItYourself
Learning to Wiggle

Re: KnitRider Firmware 1.5

Post by dontItYourself » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:00 am

I’m also having the same issue after updating the atmega chip. All the trigger jacks light up, and the KR is completely unresponsive. I’ve tried different TriggerJack panel connections none of em work... something wrong with the chip? Or something wrong with the connections? Or is my unit just busted?

Edit: I put the old chip back as a sanity check and yup everything worked as it should.... I ordered the v1.5 chip from Bastl in mid-Jan. So either something is wrong with that set of chips. Or I’m somehow putting it in wrong...

Does anyone know if there’s any additional set up after changing out the chips?

Perhaps the old SD card is causing some issues? Some how?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 am

I didn't swap a chip on mine, just updated the firmware and it worked. No issues. Maybe contact Bastl about this?

dontItYourself
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dontItYourself » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 am

Yeah I tried again without the SD card — same outcome... So I’ll probably do that, everything’s kinda pointing at the chip being faulty. Sure there’s the chance I’m putting the new chip in wrong every time... but I’m not betting on that.

Queequeg
Common Wiggler

me too

Post by Queequeg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm getting the same issue with my newly installed chip, FWIW. Sent off a note to Bastl, but from what I'm reading here I won't hold my breath.

Queequeg
Common Wiggler

Post by Queequeg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I didn't swap a chip on mine, just updated the firmware and it worked. No issues. Maybe contact Bastl about this?
And just checking, exactly what firmware you are using? I mean, where exactly did you find it?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:51 pm

I think it's on their github page.

dontItYourself
Learning to Wiggle

Re: me too (Solution)

Post by dontItYourself » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Queequeg wrote:I'm getting the same issue with my newly installed chip, FWIW. Sent off a note to Bastl, but from what I'm reading here I won't hold my breath.
I emailed BASTLE last weekend and they responded really quickly saying they’d send me a new one. I opted out and asked for a refund (they gave a refund for the chip, and the $$$ shipping to the US).

I bought a v1.5 ATMEGA chip stateside for $5 from: (ctrl-mod v1.5 chip).

I installed it a couple days ago. And it worked immediately. Plus it got here in like 2-3days, regular shipping costs, and i bought abuncha cheap washers. :mrgreen:

If anyone’s having trouble with their v1.5 chip, I'd snag it from ctrl-mod.

Also if you’re based outta NYC (Brooklyn especially) you could just go to the shop and pick it up there.

Queequeg
Common Wiggler

Post by Queequeg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Hmm. I actually purchased mine from CTRL originally. Sounds like there was a bad batch.
I guess buying a new one is still cheaper and easier cuz I don't have an FTDI board lying around, and I anyway I don't see it on BASTL's github page- maybe I'm blind.

dontItYourself
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dontItYourself » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Queequeg wrote:Hmm. I actually purchased mine from CTRL originally. Sounds like there was a bad batch...
I could send you my from BASTL version? Maybe it’ll magically work for you?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 am

https://github.com/bastl-instruments/production

The knit 1.5 hex is part of their master branch.

Queequeg
Common Wiggler

Post by Queequeg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:https://github.com/bastl-instruments/production

The knit 1.5 hex is part of their master branch.
Ugh, I'm sorry. I see it.
Thanks DIY, I'll probably just tack a new chip onto my next order with CTRL.

Queequeg
Common Wiggler

Post by Queequeg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm

I mentioned this problem to the folks at CTRL and they immediately responded, said there had been an issue with chips from that time period and would send me a new one. 8-)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 am

They're great! Super responsive and kind.

inaroom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by inaroom » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

hello, i have a knit rider and i was was wondering about the upgrade procedure cause i can´t seem to do it. does the module have to be powered and then connect the ftdi to usb? i use xloader and it keep saying uploading, on the ftdi there´s a red led always on (for power i guess) and a small red led blinking like every 7 or 10 seconds, when i upload the led on the knit go down for a second then come up again..any help?

inaroom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by inaroom » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:15 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:They're great! Super responsive and kind.
how did you update you knit firmware? is there a bootloader mode or such? or do i just connect the ftdi, power up the module and flash?
modular performances

https://fanlink.to/sector

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by rayultine » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:45 am

matttech wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:38 am
here you go (hard to follow the curly cables, but if you zoom in you can):

My god, I think I have the OG bus cables that are tiny. I can't switch the output panel side. Does anyone know where I could buy longer cables?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”