Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO!!!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm having an issue with the wavetable that I am hoping someone else has seen. Maybe it's the normal behavior of the module, but if it is, it is kind of frustrating. If I am on a particular wave algorithm and proceed to hold down the bank button to change the activity of the CV In , once I choose, when I return to the wavetable, it is on a different and completely random wave algorithm. So I have to go back and find what specific wave I was on.

Has anyone had this issue? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere on the forum

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 am

kenosis wrote:I'm having an issue with the wavetable that I am hoping someone else has seen. Maybe it's the normal behavior of the module, but if it is, it is kind of frustrating. If I am on a particular wave algorithm and proceed to hold down the bank button to change the activity of the CV In , once I choose, when I return to the wavetable, it is on a different and completely random wave algorithm. So I have to go back and find what specific wave I was on.

Has anyone had this issue? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere on the forum
Turn down the CV input attenuator before changing modes. What's happening? As you cycle through the CV modes, you will pass through the bank select mode... which changes the bank you're using. If the CV is either removed or null... the bank won't change, and you won't loose the current setting.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks so much. Makes perfect sense.

schege
Common Wiggler

Post by schege » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 am

Hello, did enyone tried this:
"You can activate suboscillator PHASE LOCK. This will eliminate slight drifting of suboscillator phase that emulates lightly detuned analogue VCO. To do so push and hold BANK SELECT button for 10” till all bank select LEDs will blink once. To deactivate phase lock, push and hold BANK SELECT button for 10” till all bank select LEDs will blink three times."

I tried this but, when Phase Lock is, on the Oscillator goes crazy and sounds horrible.

I like the osc very much but this pseudo vintage drifting between Out and SubOut goes on my nerves with the time.

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

Ypsi Kid wrote:It looks like my module has stopped tracking 1v/o now. So I'd really like to update the firmware to see if I can get this working again. Argh, frustrated as I live this module!

The upgrader app see that the programmer is connected via USB, but not detecting the module what-so-ever and I've tried the only 2 ways the programmer fits onto the back of the module. Wonder if this some how had something to do with the 1v/o not responding?

Hoping for some help - cheers.
Just as an update to this in case anyone is running into the same issues (module is not detected with the pico programmer app, but the pico programmer is recognized and losing the ability to track 1v/oct). Seems my module just does not want to get into firmware upgrade mode, so I'll likely either have to try another tool (ST-Link v2) or send the module back to Erica Synths. I will be trying to calibrate the module using Control Forge (hoping control forge can output a +5v and +1v steady voltage), so hopefully I can get the unit tracking again.

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am

Another quick update. Calibrated the VCO using the O&C reference app and now it seems to be tracking fine! Just need to figure out why the device won't detect through the pico programmer.

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 am

soundslikejoe wrote:
Rafi wrote:My unit seems to have Bitcrush CV on LED 1 and FM CY on LED 3... It does have Bank surf CV on LED 2 and VCA CV on LED 4 as shown in the manual...

Anyone else?

LOVE this thing by the way! :headbang:
Mine has the same.... Bitcrush CV on LED 1 and FM CV on LED 3.
Mine too. Is this a bug that should be addressed via the firmware flash? I just want my unit to work the way it is designed to.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:43 am

Could be that the manual was just a misprint. I think there are firmware updates available.... maybe someone who has flashed can confirm if this changes to match the manual or remains the same order of CV function.

Either way... a minor kerfuffel. Doesn't degrade function.

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Fri May 05, 2017 7:58 am

Has there been any word on when more of these will be available in the US?

Grimulkan
Common Wiggler

Post by Grimulkan » Fri May 05, 2017 10:06 am

savethisrocketship wrote:Has there been any word on when more of these will be available in the US?
Shawn @ AH still has them in stock.
http://www.analoguehaven.com/ericasynth ... vetablevco

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Mon May 15, 2017 7:37 am

schege wrote:Hello, did enyone tried this:
"You can activate suboscillator PHASE LOCK. This will eliminate slight drifting of suboscillator phase that emulates lightly detuned analogue VCO. To do so push and hold BANK SELECT button for 10” till all bank select LEDs will blink once. To deactivate phase lock, push and hold BANK SELECT button for 10” till all bank select LEDs will blink three times."

I tried this but, when Phase Lock is, on the Oscillator goes crazy and sounds horrible.

I like the osc very much but this pseudo vintage drifting between Out and SubOut goes on my nerves with the time.
This happened to me once and I needed to cycle power to get it back to normal. However, it hasn't happened again and phase lock works fine for me. One thing I do try to do is release the button as soon as all four LEDs flash

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon May 15, 2017 8:25 am

Anyone heard news about additional rom chips?

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Tue May 16, 2017 11:04 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Anyone heard news about additional rom chips?
Seconded! First dedicated wavetable for me and I love it. Esssential to so many of my patches. Love the variable cv controls, bit reduction is such a nice feature. Sub outs are so very useful, especially through filters. Now just more roms! Almost feel greedy asking but one of my favorite modules ever. Thanks Erica!

K_nsk
Learning to Wiggle

update procedure

Post by K_nsk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Can someone explain in detail the upgrade procedure please?
For example do I need to power on the module before or after having connected the pico updater?
And what direction should I plug the updater into the module?
Please help it has not work until now it starts to get very frustrating....

sansnom
Common Wiggler

Re: update procedure

Post by sansnom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:11 pm

K_nsk wrote:Can someone explain in detail the upgrade procedure please?
For example do I need to power on the module before or after having connected the pico updater?
And what direction should I plug the updater into the module?
Please help it has not work until now it starts to get very frustrating....
Does anyone actually have a link to the updated firmware?

One would think that with such a destructive and widespread bug the firmware update would be easily available/there would be more info from the manufacturer about it.

I bought mine over a month ago and have replaced it already. The 2nd one is in "the shop" with no word.

So frustrating because it's a great module otherwise.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:02 pm

i´m interested.

how old can the module be that it does NOT require an update ?
( shipped to shops after ? )

i´d really like to avoid that situation
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm

I emailed Erica about a week ago asking about the new roms. They said it will be very soon. I've never updated my firmware and have had zero issues. I really enjoy this module and use it almost everyday.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Nightly Closures wrote:I emailed Erica about a week ago asking about the new roms. They said it will be very soon. I've never updated my firmware and have had zero issues. I really enjoy this module and use it almost everyday.
:nana:

I've been getting antsy waiting for more ROMS. I love the module in general, but many of the factory wavetables just don't fit my sound. Others are heaven. More would be greatly appreciated!

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Recently picked up one of these bad boys and i'm mightily impressed indeed. Its less deep than most other wavetable offerings in Euro (having only 1 scan CV input and not being able to be FM'd etc). But the sound......jebus that more than makes up for it. Thing sounds so damn alive! Like some kind of beautiful illegitimate bastard offspring of the best things from E350 and Piston Honda (i.e. smooth as fuck but somehow with grit!).

The Black Wavetable provides the lead disco-ish kraut-ish lead line in this track (comes in at 2.30 and then hits harder at 3.30). I'm sequencing through 4 different banks using a mini 4-step sequencer, then also scanning the tables with clocked LFOs. You just don't have to process this thing at all to get it really bouncing in the speakers (though in this track it is running through a KOMA SVF-201 for added timbral variation).

The phase shifting between the sub and main outs is also a stroke of genius.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/335715177" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Lack of FM is a deal breaker for me
*phnert*

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:43 pm

^ Sorry I should be more specific in my words: There is an assignable CV input in addition to the wavetable scan CV input. This additional input can be assigned, giving VC over either bit crush, amplitude, bank select or frequency modulation. However, I don't think it can do audio-rate FM (which is probably what you meant anyway?). Just wanted to be clear!

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Raven_Martin wrote:However, I don't think it can do audio-rate FM (which is probably what you meant anyway?). Just wanted to be clear!
Why do you say it can't do audio rate FM? I seem to remember using it for that very thing...
Pighood wrote:Lack of FM is a deal breaker for me
Do you mean "lack of dedicated FM input" because the module can do FM.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:17 pm

^Apologies, just thought i'd read it in a thread back when the module came out

Grimulkan
Common Wiggler

Post by Grimulkan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:However, I don't think it can do audio-rate FM (which is probably what you meant anyway?). Just wanted to be clear!
Why do you say it can't do audio rate FM? I seem to remember using it for that very thing...
One can clearly modulate it with a very very fast LFO. So whatever the CV sampling rate is, it definitely seems to at least dip into audio rate territory. However, it doesn't sound like what I'd expect for FM-like sounds, so maybe the maximum rate is still capped.

What would be really cool is linear FM or PM like the E350.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Here's a nice price one on clearance:

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/cat ... egory/162/

Love mine by the way. Just getting into the various modulation menus and whatnot. This is as complex as I like. Great for what it does. Not what it doesn't.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Return to “Eurorack Modules”