Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO!!!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am

Ypsi Kid wrote:They are up for sale on Erica Synths site now for 25 Euros. I just snagged one.
Does anyone know if these ROM chips are going to make their way to U.S. retailers? The shipping costs for ordering from Erica directly don't justify the purchase of just this chip in my opinion.

Chukah
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chukah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 am

I am planning my first modular build to achieve Wavetable/Reese basses as well as squelchy/liquid/formant/vowely resample food for Ableton to granularize/time-stretch/repitch. Since I will be sequencing it from the Elektron A4 I was going to start by buying one of these and build up from there.

This VCO has sounded the best in the videos I've seen but I've read its limited functionality/wave wise compared to other wavetable osc options. In general from what I have heard from the alternatives like hertz donut/piston honda it seems the Erica synth's osc sounds smoother and less harsh - subtle bitcrushing is a nice feature instead of distortion - I'm not fond of harsh/distorted sounds less its on drums. I aim for my basses and melodies to be that deep/smooth/precise/articulate.

This paired with a PDO from WMD are the two osc I am considering for my build in 1row 104hp intellijell skiff. Wondering if anyone has any food for thought for a modular newcomer interested in the Black Wavetable VCO for the sound I am aiming to achieve.

theotop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theotop » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 am

I definitely need it :D

K_nsk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by K_nsk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello everyone,
Small problem on my BWT, when I flip the switch 4 times it doesn't save the bank anymore when I turn the power off... And it doesn't keep the tuning as well, have to tune it everytime...
I updated the firmware a few months back and it seemed to work fine until now..
I really don't understand and it's quite a pain to have to tune it at every power cycle
If someone can help, would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 am

K_nsk wrote:Hello everyone,
Small problem on my BWT, when I flip the switch 4 times it doesn't save the bank anymore when I turn the power off... And it doesn't keep the tuning as well, have to tune it everytime...
I really don't understand and it's quite a pain to have to tune it at every power cycle
thanks
Funny, I was just searching around because this is seriously irritating me. According to the manual it should preserve tuning if the switch is in the Coarse position, but (a) it doesn't -- I tune it to E5 beforehand, turn it off and it goes back to around 961Hz, halfway between A#5 and B5, and (b) IMO it should keep tuning regardless of the switch position, or at the very least swap the Fine and Coarse; I and I imagine most people get a rough tuning with coarse, then fine tune it, then don't touch the switch again until power off, so it's easy to forget to set it back to coarse before switching the thing off.

Mine does preserve the saved bank, however.

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Has anyone successfully updated their module?
The lack of clear documentation is seriously frustrating.
Can you please provide us with a step by step procedure on updating the module Erika Synths?

whisper
Learning to Wiggle

Limited octave range

Post by whisper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:44 am

Anyone feel limited by the octave range on the Black Wavetable VCO? I'm pretty frustrated by it... I only have stable 4 octaves, compared to my other VCO's: Disting mk4, A-110, Minimod VCO, Dixie II+ which easily tracks 6 octaves...

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:24 pm

thanks
i just started experiencing this problem as well. i put the third rom in a month or so ago not sure if thats why but its a bit annoyin.

Astralerotica
Learning to Wiggle

Help!

Post by Astralerotica » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:08 pm

My Erica black Wavetable just stopped working. It will not power on. All other modules in the rack are fine. I tried swapping the modules power cable and tried different power slots on the power bus board. Could anyone help me with troubleshooting what may be wrong?

xist
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Help!

Post by xist » Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 am

Astralerotica wrote:My Erica black Wavetable just stopped working. It will not power on. All other modules in the rack are fine. I tried swapping the modules power cable and tried different power slots on the power bus board. Could anyone help me with troubleshooting what may be wrong?
I would suggest contacting the company, they are very responsive, at least in my experience.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

neonmercury1 wrote:
thanks
i just started experiencing this problem as well. i put the third rom in a month or so ago not sure if thats why but its a bit annoyin.
Make sure the configurable CV input on the VCO isn't set to bank surf, that will override the bank save mode. As far as tuning if you start up your VCO with the tuning switch in fine position it will default to C4.

Rafi
Common Wiggler

Post by Rafi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:12 am

attacca

Great tip for the VCO tuning to c4 with the switch in the fine position. Don't recall seeing this in the manual? :hmm:

globalwm
Common Wiggler

Post by globalwm » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am

Here's a PDF that combines the Cheat Sheet Image (from Erica Synths) and the text from ULTRAsomething:

https://docdro.id/gtjx8Hz

Suitable for uploading to iBooks or other doc collection tools you may use.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 pm

How does the Erica Synth Black Wavetable compare to the Synthesis Technology E350 in terms of pure sound, modulation possibilities and sound palette?! Which would you rate us more versatile and which of the two is liked better in general?

Rafi
Common Wiggler

Post by Rafi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:00 am

I have both the e352 (the e350’s reincarnation) and black wavetable vco. I wouldn’t part ways with either of them. Sound wise they have their own character. Modulation wise the e350 has the ability to morph through the X, Y and Z axis which sounds awesome. As far as which is more versatile its hard to say since they both offer their unique flavor of sounds and morphing. Just step on the GAS and get both. e352 > e350 without question plus the new firmware offers a musical detune that is breathtaking. So thats the long-winded way of saying both are great!

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:04 am

thanks for your opinion.
morphing thru X,Y and Z sounds like a big selling point to me.
I am sold.. I also like the E350 better in terms of optics

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Limited octave range

Post by deke » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Dumb question. I see "ROM 3" all over the web, but the "3" suggests to me that there is a 1 and 2. Is there?

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:32 pm

deke wrote:Dumb question. I see "ROM 3" all over the web, but the "3" suggests to me that there is a 1 and 2. Is there?
ROM’s 1&2 are the ROM’s already in the Erica
here hare here!

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:27 am

Bignorthumbrian wrote:
deke wrote:Dumb question. I see "ROM 3" all over the web, but the "3" suggests to me that there is a 1 and 2. Is there?
ROM’s 1&2 are the ROM’s already in the Erica
Ah, so my dumb question was verified as being dumb. I now have one on order from Perfect Circuit. Thanks!

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Digging the new ROM chip.

franktropez
Common Wiggler

Post by franktropez » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Does anyone know what the orientation of the pico programmer should be? I wanna update my buggy vco but can't find anything on which way the programmer should be connected (except for someone asking the same question but getting no answer :p). I don't want to damage the module. Mailed erica some time ago but they're being kinda slow to answer and I wanna do the friggin update.

Edit:
Erica synths just got back to me. In case anyone else is wondering; it does not matter which way you connect the drum programmer to the vco, it's reverse polarity protected and there is no risk of damaging the module.

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:04 am

scrunday wrote:
Ypsi Kid wrote:They are up for sale on Erica Synths site now for 25 Euros. I just snagged one.
Does anyone know if these ROM chips are going to make their way to U.S. retailers? The shipping costs for ordering from Erica directly don't justify the purchase of just this chip in my opinion.
Meh, I ordered one a while back and shipped to Australia. Didn’t seem too bad.

I think people in the US are spoilt from being able to buy things onshore with free shipping. Pretty much every modular purchase I’ve ever made has required an extra $40US on top for shipping.

hfsurfer
1-Post Wiggler

Re:

Post by hfsurfer » Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 am

Anyone have any patch tips or uses for the original organ waves? I just can't imagine myself plugging up a keyboard and playing "Alleluia" or other church classics. :hihi:
[/quote]

A few years late, but might be useful to someone like myself doing a google search. https://soundcloud.com/david-rogers-278 ... ounty-fair Using the stock organ wave..

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO!!!

Post by helix » Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 am

Try through heaps of reverb and slowly morph some parameters. Lush! (i dont have one but have done similar things with other wavetables)

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO!!!

Post by daphnid » Fri May 22, 2020 2:41 am

Does anyone know where I can download the wavetables for this baby?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”