Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mkasthe
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by mkasthe » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Patching noise in the "In" input of Rings can make some pan flute / wind instrument sounds (still learning how to wiggle so this is probably well known)
Made in Italy and exported to NYC

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:12 pm

Always was a bit confused as to why Pittsburgh Modular's Micro Sequencer didn't seem to recognize external clock control occasionally. I had all the settings correct on the unit...sometimes the external clock worked and sometimes it didn't.

Last week I was doing a ratcheting demo for some students -- taking 4ms Quad Clock distributor into the micro sequencer -- and this problem arose. The Micro Sequencer didn't step through the sequence even as QCD was chugging away.

Suddenly it occurred to me: not enough voltage! Patched the QCD output into a spare VCA, jacked up the pot, patched the output of the VCA into the Micro Sequencer's external clock input -- and bam, no problem. Worked perfectly. Turned the pot down on the VCA to test theory, and just as expected, Micro Sequencer didn't do a thing. Very good learning experience for me and our students.

Now I know the great wisdom: check voltages before thinking module is temperamental!
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:04 am

lauprellim wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:12 pm
Always was a bit confused as to why Pittsburgh Modular's Micro Sequencer didn't seem to recognize external clock control occasionally. I had all the settings correct on the unit...sometimes the external clock worked and sometimes it didn't.

Last week I was doing a ratcheting demo for some students -- taking 4ms Quad Clock distributor into the micro sequencer -- and this problem arose. The Micro Sequencer didn't step through the sequence even as QCD was chugging away.

Suddenly it occurred to me: not enough voltage! Patched the QCD output into a spare VCA, jacked up the pot, patched the output of the VCA into the Micro Sequencer's external clock input -- and bam, no problem. Worked perfectly. Turned the pot down on the VCA to test theory, and just as expected, Micro Sequencer didn't do a thing. Very good learning experience for me and our students.

Now I know the great wisdom: check voltages before thinking module is temperamental!
Today my small discovery was remembering how lucky some students are having classes on subjects like this.

I'm jelly.

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:59 pm

BlinkyLights wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:04 am
Today my small discovery was remembering how lucky some students are having classes on subjects like this.
Thanks! We’re just trying to keep educating our young people so they can have as many advantages as possible when it comes time to apply for jobs out there in the real world.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:06 pm

lauprellim wrote:
...Suddenly it occurred to me: not enough voltage! Patched the QCD output into a spare VCA, jacked up the pot, patched the output of the VCA into the Micro Sequencer's external clock input -- and bam, no problem. Worked perfectly...
many vcas dont amplify - this often wont solve the problem!
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

ToddOMG
Common Wiggler

Post by ToddOMG » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:10 am

That using a an envelope into a S+H module, then running that in sync with a clock to Plaits model input is pure magic.

Inputting the envelope directly into model doesn't behave or 'latch' to the new model in a predictable way every time. Which may or may not be what you're going for...

Underwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underwood » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:11 am

It's fairly easy to unbend the face plate of an expensive module that was damaged during transport. I would habe preferred to not make this discovery but what can you do ...

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 am

lauprellim wrote:

This is actually partially correct. Check the QCD level and you'll notice that it outputs a different level when patched to the MS, compared to when patched to another module. It is a combination of a low input impedance on the MS (there is basically only a diode between the jack and the processor) and an unbuffered clock output jack on the clock source module. The MS drops the level of the incoming signal by a large margin and that's why a lot of clock modules won't work with it. That's a good lesson for your students! :hihi:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am

Today I discovered that I made a (small) mistake.
A few weeks ago I added a cute sequencer to my system. MFB SEQ-02 comes with 6+6 outputs for triggers or/and CVs . Black, smooth, handy. The number of triggers available increased dramatically in my 6u rack. But I have to realize that ever since the improvement I feel obligated to use the sequencer. And whenever I use it my tune is getting flat & boring. What's more the number of minutes I spend with patching is dropping significantly. Joy factor ruined. The desire is disappearing to go to my secret cupboard and to switch on the machine.
So that's it. I think I need to remove the sequencer and stick to the good old LFO + SH/quantizer combo. :despair:

McMij
Learning to Wiggle

Post by McMij » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 am

Noise into PWM on a monosynth bass voice results in a heck of a lot of dirt, but in the best way possible, especially with a nice filter and additional triangle sub oscillator. Oh yeh :twisted:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:48 am

S0210 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am
Today I discovered that I made a (small) mistake.
A few weeks ago I added a cute sequencer to my system. MFB SEQ-02 comes with 6+6 outputs for triggers or/and CVs . Black, smooth, handy. The number of triggers available increased dramatically in my 6u rack. But I have to realize that ever since the improvement I feel obligated to use the sequencer. And whenever I use it my tune is getting flat & boring. What's more the number of minutes I spend with patching is dropping significantly. Joy factor ruined. The desire is disappearing to go to my secret cupboard and to switch on the machine.
So that's it. I think I need to remove the sequencer and stick to the good old LFO + SH/quantizer combo. :despair:
Send the sequencer outs to filter cutoffs, S&H triggers, LFO cv ins, quantizer transpose, etc. Use it for anything but sequencing.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 am
This is actually partially correct. Check the QCD level and you'll notice that it outputs a different level when patched to the MS, compared to when patched to another module. It is a combination of a low input impedance on the MS (there is basically only a diode between the jack and the processor) and an unbuffered clock output jack on the clock source module. The MS drops the level of the incoming signal by a large margin and that's why a lot of clock modules won't work with it. That's a good lesson for your students! :hihi:
This is REALLY useful. Thanks a lot for posting.

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm

S0210 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am
I think I need to remove the sequencer and stick to the good old LFO + SH/quantizer combo. :despair:
What electriccanada said, or combine the seq with the LFO/SH for some magic

everythingcontinues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everythingcontinues » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:09 am

Running just about any of the Viznutcracker, sweet! app outputs from Ornament & Crime into Rings. I'm sure this has been done a zillion times, but it was new to me. Between all the different byte beat equations and their parameters and Rings' different modes, there is an incredibly vast potential of sound. I was modulating a simple AD envelope on the O&C output on the way into Rings to great effect. My next two ideas are to filter the audio going in and play with mixing different equations.

andandand
Learning to Wiggle

Post by andandand » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:01 pm

I just got rings and wow. That’s what I learned today. Wow.

vhansen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vhansen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:31 pm

using quadrax in burst mode at audio rate to modulate phase on my WMD PDO - no vca needed!

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whelm » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:13 pm

I learned that my Music Thing Modular Spring can be used as a crossfader.

I probably should have known that years ago.

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 am

Monsoon (Clouds clone) doesn't need any audio input. I've got it going right now just with a fair bit of reverb and feedback and by modulating the position, size and texture.

I found this accidentally after turning off a session this morning where I had it full wet with "Freeze" engaged, which didn't restore when I powered it back on this afternoon but to my surprise started making noise so I've let it run for a while now.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”