Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Luke2020

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Luke2020 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:49 pm

usually a poem lol

HesterPrynne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HesterPrynne » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm kinda new to modular so this might be a little basic but I discovered today how nice it sounds multing a sequence going into my DPO's 1v/oct and putting it into the frequency cutoff of a filter as well. Wide intervals sound great!

Inspired by this make noise video...

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:35 pm

HesterPrynne wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:01 pm
I'm kinda new to modular so this might be a little basic but I discovered today how nice it sounds multing a sequence going into my DPO's 1v/oct and putting it into the frequency cutoff of a filter as well. Wide intervals sound great!

Inspired by this make noise video...

:sb: :sb: :sb:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:47 pm

pieter wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 am
Small patching discovery of how you can get a lot of melodic variation with just two knobs: Mix two CV sequences (for example in channels 2 and 3 of Maths), and send the result via a quantizer to pitch in of an oscillator. One sequence is mildly varying, while the other has more voltage outliers. The two attenuators (or attenuverters) allow you to change how much voltage of each is going through the quantizer. This will give you control over the melody in a very musical way that is both fairly predictable and varied.
This is great. Thank you.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 am

A nice way of using wavefolders differently:

For Leads I sometimes need a 2nd Osc at a (much) higher frequency to do subtle phasemodulation or filterFM of the main osc or just directly mix it into the sound. Usually I sync the modulator with the mainOSC. But the higher the modOSCs frequency the smaller is the impact of the sync on its waveform (because the modOSCs waveform goes through more cycles before it gets restarted) I got very good results putting a Wavefolder between the sineout of the mainOSC (or the core out of the Jornalogue G3 and the syncinput of the modOSC. Tried it with a clock multiplier but a Wavefolder gives you much more harmonic results. That also gives you a lot of "parameters" (eG Folding level and modOSCs freq) to transform the sound without destroying it harmonically. The output of the Wavefolder is not directly in the sound, its just there to modify the sync behaviour. CVing this behaviour (fold) transforms the sound in a nice way.

Subtle phasemodulation with the Joranalogue G3 is great that way, or FilterFM with a filter (LP or BP)

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:48 pm

What with the evenings now drawing in, I have discovered that, It’s rather relaxing, perhaps even therapeutic, to watch all the blinky lights in a darkened room.

Synthzensis

(I am sober disclaimer)

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Just another rookie wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:48 pm
What with the evenings now drawing in, I have discovered that, It’s rather relaxing, perhaps even therapeutic, to watch all the blinky lights in a darkened room.

Synthzensis

(I am sober disclaimer)
think of the electric bill.

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:56 pm

The light is turned off!
(So is the amp......)

I’m saving one point 21 jigga Watts!

tigersi
Common Wiggler

Post by tigersi » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am

:hihi:
Just another rookie wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:56 pm
The light is turned off!
(So is the amp......)

I’m saving one point 21 jigga Watts!
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.

We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:59 pm

starthief wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:38 am
This webpage about interface design as illustrated on Lego bricks.

It's not PUSH TURN MOVE but it does make some arguments that Eurorack panel designers should be aware of. And I never knew about the flaps/landing gear fiasco on the B-17 :hihi:
This post is a golden find. Thank you for sharing!
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:56 pm

markincork wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:47 pm
pieter wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 am
Small patching discovery of how you can get a lot of melodic variation with just two knobs: Mix two CV sequences (for example in channels 2 and 3 of Maths), and send the result via a quantizer to pitch in of an oscillator. One sequence is mildly varying, while the other has more voltage outliers. The two attenuators (or attenuverters) allow you to change how much voltage of each is going through the quantizer. This will give you control over the melody in a very musical way that is both fairly predictable and varied.
This is great. Thank you.
This is a brilliant tip, thanks!

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:05 am

it occuered to me that my Doepfer A-113 can double as a brilliant source of audio rate oscillators in meaningful musical intervals for Linear and X-fm on my doepfer oscillators. Only annoying thing is i dont have 4 x low pass filters to smooth the square waves out to something closer to sines.... adding Quad ADSR's to the outputs too...damn shame i cant try this out right now...but im sure it will work. at present i can use 2 LFOS and 2 x VCAs.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:07 pm

OK! So shoot me..... I totally neglected the fact that my Intellijel Polaris has FM inputs! What a bonehead! Slow stepped sequencer into Make Noise Telharmonic into Polaris with FM equals instant Halloween dark vibro-drone! Been missing out on this little piece of modular wickedness!

I'll have to patch it daily until after Oct 31 just to drive the wife nuttso! :twisted:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

Unit: E
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:24 pm

MvK wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:24 pm
my small discovery today was probably nothing new for some. I was trying to make cymbals with basic analog modules and thought the ring modulation was a way to get some nice complex harmonic dependencies. Of course using two oscs ringmodulating each other is way too "simple" so the first thing I did was replace one osc with noise. That got me more into the cymbal territory but sounded crap. The low frequencies of the noise seemed to destroy the thing. And the lack of a 2nd "tone" was avoiding the generation of the complex (dis)harmonies. So I used a Hipass filter on the noise at around 6 kHz and that was much better. But only when I increased the resonance on the hi pass to nearly selfoscillation really convincing cymbals appeared. The results got even better when I used a VCA instead of a ringmodulator cutting the negative portions of the modulator. The result goes into a lowpass filter CVed by an AR envelope and slighly distorted.

now don't tell me that that is the established way to do it because I found it out all by myself and learned more than I would have by reading a book about it :-) :-)

Suggestions of refinement and other ways to do it would be greatly appreciated.
Quoting just to remember this. I need to read this a few times in front of my rack just to burn it into my brain. I feel I need to remember this patching because it will come up.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm

...that Stockhausen's "Licht" cycle is pretty freakin' awesome. It's really more jazz than classical, and it's turned me into a real fan. The dude was bonkers, but also a genius.
Composting the drones will ensure the survival of the elite.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Kawouddd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:18 pm

dkbax wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:21 am
A Eurorack system is never finished no matter how hard you try to convince yourself.
I got a 9U 126hp unable to imagine how I’d fill it. Then realised my old 6U 84hp could become a drum machine. I’ve now got both of them filled, my 104hp skiff case has become a controller housing and I’m looking at what needs to move into my 84hp skiff when the next units arrive 🤦‍♂️ And I obvs need more VCAs now too 🤦‍♂️

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm
...that Stockhausen's "Licht" cycle is pretty freakin' awesome. It's really more jazz than classical, and it's turned me into a real fan. The dude was bonkers, but also a genius.
Helikopter-Streichquartett (English: Helicopter String Quartet) is one of Karlheinz Stockhausen's best-known pieces, and one of the most complex to perform. It involves a string quartet, four helicopters with pilots, as well as audio and video equipment and technicians. It was first performed and recorded in 1995. Although performable as a self-sufficient piece, it also forms the third scene of the opera Mittwoch aus Licht ("Wednesday from Light").

confirmed madman - when i learnt of this Helikopter-Streichquartett i was pretty floored haha.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 am

Running 2 outputs of Mimetic Digitalis through Compare 2 is a great way of producing all sorts of rhythms. I took all of the outputs of compare 2 but the nots and used them to open various envelopes+VCAs, LPGs, etc. All of those were fed with various outputs from Cs-L, sometimes through filters or other processing. And the other two outputs from Mimetic Digitalis went to the pitch inputs of Cs-L. I spent quite a while just hitting the shred combo on MD and listening to the goofy stuff that was produced.

oliodnb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oliodnb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am

starthief wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:38 am
This webpage about interface design as illustrated on Lego bricks.

It's not PUSH TURN MOVE but it does make some arguments that Eurorack panel designers should be aware of. And I never knew about the flaps/landing gear fiasco on the B-17 :hihi:
That's beautiful, thanks for sharing!

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:15 pm

I just discovered that touching the bare ends of patch cables plugged into the various outputs of my Benjolin module with one hand while touching the bare ends of patch cables plugged into my mixer with the other hand makes cool noises. And now I want to build a small module of patch points wired to contact points just to exploit this in a more controlled and expressive manner.
useless

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:32 pm

A little like this? (Though not quite the same idea.)

https://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/teleplexer

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:30 am

Changing the context, today I discovered that MTM Magnetophone and Mikrophonie are interesting modules also in video synthesis.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:18 am

funeralcake wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:15 pm
I just discovered that touching the bare ends of patch cables plugged into the various outputs of my Benjolin module with one hand while touching the bare ends of patch cables plugged into my mixer with the other hand makes cool noises. And now I want to build a small module of patch points wired to contact points just to exploit this in a more controlled and expressive manner.
These may be of interest if you aren't already familiar with them: https://www.landscape.fm/allflesh

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:04 am

^Oh, yeah. I've seen these before but had forgotten about them!
useless

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:45 pm

That literally every millennial trance track EVER is essentially filtered arps with a bit of reverb.

(I know, I know, *really* chuffing obvious, but I’m really not musical. I just accidentally recreated every millennial trance track ever whilst having an astounding time with a Frap Fumana. And was both happy and horrified).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”