Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by cptnal » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Cold Mac's usefulness is inversely proportional to the number of modules it shares a rack with.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Planar2 makes it possible to record a custom modulation and in scrub mode have it playback via an external audio rate signal (to CV1 in) in various ways (forward/reverse us a triangle wave, forward in cycle is a ramp wave so on) to be sounded as a custom, overwritable waveform (wavetable? - if re-recorded fast enough via external trigger in). Custom waveform oscillator by joystick, oh my!

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:40 pm

cptnal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Cold Mac's usefulness is inversely proportional to the number of modules it shares a rack with.
How comes? Whats the point of Cold Mac with just one more module?
WTB: ARC ANN

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:47 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:40 pm
cptnal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:31 pm
How comes? Whats the point of Cold Mac with just one more module?
Within reason. :hihi:

It didn't get a lot of use in my big rack. I moved it to my Mantis, where I used it now and again. It's now in my 84hp play case and I'm using it in everything. :sb:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:50 pm

TIL Shelves will self-oscillate if you patch one of its bandpass outputs (with relatively high Q) to the input. From there you can shape it with the other bands, add in another resonant peak, etc.

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Desktop CNC milling is a thing! (Of course it is.)

This knowledge may prove to be expensive.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Creating a library of seamless ‘tape loops’ to use with Wav player modules.

Twisted Wave sample editor for Mac OS has a ‘Loop Crossfade’ function that easily makes seamless loops out of whatever audio is selected. (Time saving tip: Command + E to export directly to a Wav without having to create a new file.)

I’ll then make the ‘tape loops’ from stuff recorded off the modular and field recordings, beds of noise from nature, pads out of instrument tails, chords, etc. These are loaded onto SD cards for wav players like the TipTop one and Disting. TipTop One is particularly well suited for simple looping like this, it can be triggered with a button press and loop forever.

DigitalCrickets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DigitalCrickets » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 pm

I agree with other posts - this topic should be a sticky!
Can we make this a thing?
May the electrons always flow in your favor, and may the voltages remain under your control!
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1348470
https://digitalcrickets.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/digitalcrickets

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Feedbacking through a phaser, delay, fixed filterbank, compressor and controlling it with Planar 2 is hours of fun.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Just Friends as a wave modifier/bit crusher sounding thingie. :sb:

Patching oscillators (I really like wavetable oscillators) at audio rate into Trigger ins on Just Friends (in sound mode) outputs all kinds of interesting bit crushed like sounds (note: not actually bit crushing, but its the best I can think of to describe)
- Ramp acts like a low pass filter of sorts. Probably just rounding off the edges. (brightest with Ramp knob fully CW or CCW. Can also CV).
- Try adjusting Time too. :tu:
- You get different kinds of textures switching between transient, sustain and cycle modes.
- Haven't tried the RUN stuff yet so not sure what that will do.
- Definitely not what JF is for, but what the hell, it's modular.
FS (US): Chronoblob v1, Dynamix, Triple Bipolar VCA
FT (US): Phonogene 372 for Tyme Sefari mk2
WTB (US): Zorlon Cannon mk2

paoling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by paoling » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Few recent things:
1) any clock/trigger can be a very good drum kick with the right amount of slew. Add waveshaping in the middle for grit.
2) Trying to reproduce Mangrove "melody folding glitch" (I don't know if there's a better name for it), I discovered that if you take a CV sequence -> wavefold -> attenuate -> quantize you can have a palette of permutations of the sequence by varying its wavefolding. I usually love to derive melodies from other melodies and this method works really well.
3) Sometimes I watch videos of modules that I already have just to discover new features and by watching a Divkid video on Marbles I've discovere that the rate tracks 1v/oct and that it works wonderfully at audio rates. You can have a triple "morphing" harmonic oscillator by varying the various parameters and the Xs with steps way CCW. T and X needs to be locket at 12 o clock. Then the parameters get a new life: Jitter is a kind of waveshaper, left bias changes the harmonic ratio, length changes the spread between the voices, steps morphs the waveform to be more gritty, spread acts like a level control (maybe for using an envelope on it?).

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm

I bought multiples of several modules.
Braids, I love it and I thought it would not be available after Plaits came out.
And Mysteron, I heard that it was to be discontinued and NLA.
And one or two more that I really like, like BIA and of course Dixie IIs and Pittsburgh Waveforms oscillators.
Today I found out that I have 3 Mysterons.
2 Telharmonics, 2 X 2HP Arps and 2 X 2HP Bursts.
4 Pico DSPs, 3 Pico RNDS and 3 Pico Drums (V1)
2 X 2HP randoms (V1)
They are all V1s
3 A-151s and damn, 6 cases.
Must be time to get rid of some of this.
I just don't know what happened.
However, I do not want to sell them. I seem to keep everything
Look for my upcoming F/S thread :hmm:
Last edited by Foghorn on Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm
I bought multiples of several modules.
Braids, I love it and I thought it would not be available after Plaits came out.
And Mysteron, I heard that it was to be discontinued and NLA.
And one or two more that I really like, like BIA and of course Dixie IIs and Pittsburgh Waveforms oscillators.
Today I found out that I have 3 Mysterons.
2 Telharmonics, 2 X 2HP Arps and 2 X 2HP Bursts.
4 Pico DSPs, 3 Pico RNDS and 3 Pico Drums (V1)
2 X 2HP randoms (V1)
They are all V1s
3 A-151s and damn, 6 cases.
Must be time to get rid of some of this.
I just don't know what happened.
I'll gladly take a Mysteron off your hands, for the right price. ;)

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 pm

That the roland system 500 modules have been discontinued.

ch3oh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ch3oh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 pm

You can play separate notes into the comb resonator section of Rainmaker and have them sustained and layered one on top of the other. The trick is to set the comb length long enough (I've set mine to 3 seconds) and feedback just shy of self-oscillation. Set the number of taps and distribution to taste, I had a good time with uniform random distribution. The tap filter controls how sounds decay over time. There seems to be some clever mixing of the incoming signal with feedback happening as it will sustain the resulting chordal textures for quite a long time, but, when you play something new into it, the existing sounds will eventually decay to make a room for new sounds.

I've just recorded a shoegaze masterpiece :sb:

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:14 am

That the attenuverters on Plaits do more than that. If you have a trig coming into trig CV turning them applies the LPG envelope to Timbre or Morph opening new tone controls. Also the FM attenuverter is a glide control. Had not known either thing & it is a delight to now know.

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 am

Cpaf wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:14 pm
Planar2 makes it possible to record a custom modulation and in scrub mode have it playback via an external audio rate signal (to CV1 in) in various ways (forward/reverse us a triangle wave, forward in cycle is a ramp wave so on) to be sounded as a custom, overwritable waveform (wavetable? - if re-recorded fast enough via external trigger in). Custom waveform oscillator by joystick, oh my!
No one commented on this. So what you are saying is that it becomes a digital oscillator? And the waveform is what you recorded with the joystick? Can you explain the patch a little bit better? Sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

rank30
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rank30 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:17 am

Tenderosa wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:14 am
That the attenuverters on Plaits do more than that. If you have a trig coming into trig CV turning them applies the LPG envelope to Timbre or Morph opening new tone controls. Also the FM attenuverter is a glide control. Had not known either thing & it is a delight to now know.
Nice touch, I’ll try that.
:eek:

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 pm

feelingthin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 am
Cpaf wrote:
No one commented on this. So what you are saying is that it becomes a digital oscillator? And the waveform is what you recorded with the joystick? Can you explain the patch a little bit better? Sounds like a great idea. Thanks!
Yeah I'm pretty blown away by it! The idea is actually from one of the intellijel yt-videos on Planar2 - they only mention it as a side not but it really works! It needs that external audio rate wave to scrub/play the recorded waveform that you make. But yeah it works as a very gritty digital oscillator! And you can decide how the waveform/recording is played back by choosing different external waves to play it, as ramp up is forward and ramp down plays it backward. A ramp up wave thus repeats forwards but a sine plays it in a logarithmic way!

And the possibilities of crossfading between different waves and have the output be the external wave that plays the recorded waveform is some serious feedback-based waveshaping!

Probably would make more sense to make a video to show it!

feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 pm
feelingthin wrote:
Cpaf wrote:
Yeah I'm pretty blown away by it! The idea is actually from one of the intellijel yt-videos on Planar2 - they only mention it as a side not but it really works! It needs that external audio rate wave to scrub/play the recorded waveform that you make. But yeah it works as a very gritty digital oscillator! And you can decide how the waveform/recording is played back by choosing different external waves to play it, as ramp up is forward and ramp down plays it backward. A ramp up wave thus repeats forwards but a sine plays it in a logarithmic way!

And the possibilities of crossfading between different waves and have the output be the external wave that plays the recorded waveform is some serious feedback-based waveshaping!

I'm going to try this tonight. I have a Planar 2 and haven't used it much, but I like using things in ways outside of their normal use. Do you remember which video it was from?

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:33 am

feelingthin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 pm
Cpaf wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 pm
feelingthin wrote:
Cpaf wrote:

I'm going to try this tonight. I have a Planar 2 and haven't used it much, but I like using things in ways outside of their normal use. Do you remember which video it was from?
I'm all about hands on live control so Planar2 is fast becoming a stable here, and it is just extremely versatile - I always find it brings something cool to the table. I think the important thing about it long-term/everyday-wise is to be okay with using it for smaller things too like a simple two-voice crossfade, recording gates to ping a filter so on - cause it does take a more conscious effort to do the "power" moves like using the cv1+2 to rotate and add to a recording and get all the outputs something to move without it being to much/less. Also remember the possibilities of how a recording can go to just the abcd or xy while simultaneously moving the joystick to modulate or crossfade something else. It really is a powerful and versatile, immediate module - admittedly I'm in the honeymoon phase so I guess this sentiment could change, I just don't think it will :p

The video really doesn't tell you or show you something that isn't in my post unfortunately! They don't show the patch or have it sound, they just casually spend like 20 seconds mentioning it.

But yeah, take an audio rate to CV1 in scrub mode, record a motion, and take e.g. Mix out to your vca. If you want more motion then modulate the wave (e.g. wavefold it with an lfo) before hand you take it to cv1, or add another wave to cv2.

license
Learning to Wiggle

Post by license » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 am

pelang wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:58 am
electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm
jnduffie wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:00 pm
Pelang wrote:
MI Stages: Feeback the CV delay mode (red) can act as a CV looper/recorder
Pelang -- can you provide a bit more detail on how you do this? It sounds fascinating, but I don't quite understand what you're doing or how it works.
Yes, please. How long a CV loop can you get? Can you reset it?
sure, its very simple: one channel in stage set on red. plug a stackable between CVin and its output. Put the knob on max and the move the slider. The delay feedback creates a loop. Max CV recording is max delay time...so around 5-6 sec.

Works as well when patching two delays: delay 1 output to delay 2 CV input / delay 2 output to delay 1 CV input.

Reset by unplugging the loop or put an attenuator in between....havent tried that but should work as slowly fading out over time...
I just realized this last night and then found this post. Have you found that the loop reduces in amplitude every repeat? Mine is doing this, kind of like a tape/BBD delay, but it could be because I'm using a Stages clone and the components are likely under-spec'd.

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Yesterday I made a "omnichord" patch in my small rack with tete/tetrapad (combo mode : fader & voltage banks), plaits (chords mode), disting (quantizer A6), quadrax (vco & envelope) and VCAs of course.
Super fun !

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Unpatching the gate cable from Plaits allowed me to make a two oscillator drone patch for a recording.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm

unclebastard wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 pm
Unpatching the gate cable from Plaits allowed me to make a two oscillator drone patch for a recording.
I assume this refers to using AUX output in tandem w/ the main output? In a number of the models you'll get a complementary waveform/oscillator w/ the same note, a sub, a root note (in chord model), etc.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”