Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Johnnyfive » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:51 am

had a guitar loop running through a filter, plugged a dixie into the cutoff cv, but didn't realise that it was set to vco instead of lfo - it created the most amazing sound somewhere between a ring mod and a distortion. i'm aware that, yes, what i "discovered" is nothing more than fm'ing a filter at audio rate, but the real discovery was how good it can sound on non-oscillator sources. as a bonus, if you link a keyboard to the pitch of the vco, you can "play" the filter in really musical ways that fit with the underlying loop.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:50 am

"I assume this refers to using AUX output in tandem w/ the main output? In a number of the models you'll get a complementary waveform/oscillator w/ the same note, a sub, a root note (in chord model), etc."

Not exactly; my main oscillator is part of a Tonestar 2600, which has a drone switch bypassing the ADSR and AR. Plaits is the other oscillator, and I made it drone when I unpatched the gate input.
This is the track:
Listen to Long Range Scan by UncleBastard on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/dbja
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:10 am

Johnnyfive wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:51 am
had a guitar loop running through a filter, plugged a dixie into the cutoff cv, but didn't realise that it was set to vco instead of lfo - it created the most amazing sound somewhere between a ring mod and a distortion. i'm aware that, yes, what i "discovered" is nothing more than fm'ing a filter at audio rate, but the real discovery was how good it can sound on non-oscillator sources. as a bonus, if you link a keyboard to the pitch of the vco, you can "play" the filter in really musical ways that fit with the underlying loop.
Thx for sharing! I'm gonna try that with my Filter 8!

grrrwaaa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grrrwaaa » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Steppy can be clocked REALLY fast, making it a multi-voice complex step waveform generator. Patched into clouds' (microcell here) trig input can make some pretty intense yet regular grain patterns, almost pulsar synthesis.

Also, oscillator into Mimeophon u/pitch deviation can make beautifully fuzzy echo.

It is so nice when audio-rate modulation actually works.
It is so nice when audio-rate modulation actually works

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 am

grrrwaaa wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 pm

This should be someone's signature

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:32 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:17 am
grrrwaaa wrote:

Dying. That's hilarious.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:37 pm

grrrwaaa wrote:
Steppy can be clocked REALLY fast, making it a multi-voice complex step waveform generator.
I am gonna try this to make chords, and/or 4 note sequences, running the the outputs through a sequential switch or similar. with each output set to a different harmonic division. Could be done by activating every step in each pattern and then using pattern edit to set clock division intervals to change octaves. And then harmonics could be done with manually edited patterns that have equidistant steps intervals (like a Euclidean pattern). Ratcheting could be used in interesting ways, basically doing harmonic divisions on the pattern level.

half.cto
Common Wiggler

Post by half.cto » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:14 am

Noise modulate LP filter cut off to get that Lo-fi effect I have been looking for ages!

grrrwaaa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grrrwaaa » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 pm

ATW wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:37 pm
grrrwaaa wrote:
Steppy can be clocked REALLY fast, making it a multi-voice complex step waveform generator.
I am gonna try this to make chords
I don't know if chords will go far as clock in does give up in mid registers, bit as a bass it can work well. Especially feeding a square wave into steppy and steppy into a trigger of clouds + sync of another oscillator I could get some nice pitched pulsar sounds. Then messing with steppy patterns, div, ratchet etc was doing interesting things.

grrrwaaa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grrrwaaa » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Cpaf wrote:

Deal ;)

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Re:

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 pm

infovore wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:05 am
Audio-rate sample/hold heavily attenuated into an FM input for a delightful "fizzle" on top of a sound. I might make a short video about this.
Please do! That sounds really interesting...

And then I realize this post is from 2016.... SO it either has happened (if it did, can someone post a link?) Or the poster determined it wasn't worthwhile and i will probably never show up.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 am

grrrwaaa wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:59 pm
Cpaf wrote:

Deal ;)
:yay:

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am

Just tried sidechain compression and it works so well I cannot believe I haven’t done this before.

It was the classic of having the oscillator volume drop when a kick drum hits. Mesmerising... takes two channels of Quadratt though (at least the way I’m doing it) so considering an A-142-2 for the ‘ducking’ input.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Today my small discovery was that the ER-101 and 102 can use scala files!!!! This is a major gamechanger for me and I am already down a rabbit hole of new microtonal music! I curated about 70 scales including every scale the ableton push 2 offers, along with a bunch of chord structures, and of course a bunch of crazy microtonal scales. I was messing around a little with 15tet and it is very cool!

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am
Just tried sidechain compression and it works so well I cannot believe I haven’t done this before.

It was the classic of having the oscillator volume drop when a kick drum hits. Mesmerising... takes two channels of Quadratt though (at least the way I’m doing it) so considering an A-142-2 for the ‘ducking’ input.
Consider the WMD MSCL, lovely little thing...

troux
Learning to Wiggle

Post by troux » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 pm

@spilthyfred I wanna hear some microtonal tunes, been working on that myself this year, so please share!

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 pm

spilthyfred wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm
Raindeer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am

Consider the WMD MSCL, lovely little thing...
Thanks. Stereo too - will check it out for sure.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:45 pm

That it’s a good idea to put clock modules in an outboard controller skiff case, if all the modules in it really need / benefit from being clocked 🤦‍♂️

DAB25369-A929-471B-BEB1-EE09C9B4189F.jpeg

Relatedly, there’s no point trying to clock Rene with a triangle LFO, even if you run it really really fast and scale it and offset it LOADS.

I do get that these are crap discoveries, as this thread’s discoveries go.

OH HANG ON I can LFO the swoops and output their square waves as clocks. Fucks me for envelopes, I think, but THAT COULD WOEK. Bit crap tho. May just rejig.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:45 pm
That it’s a good idea to put clock modules in an outboard controller skiff case, if all the modules in it really need / benefit from being clocked 🤦‍♂️

DAB25369-A929-471B-BEB1-EE09C9B4189F.jpeg

Relatedly, there’s no point trying to clock Rene with a triangle LFO, even if you run it really really fast and scale it and offset it LOADS.

I do get that these are crap discoveries, as this thread’s discoveries go.

OH HANG ON I can LFO the swoops and output their square waves as clocks. Fucks me for envelopes, I think, but THAT COULD WOEK. Bit crap tho. May just rejig.
After an age of tinkering this turns out to be total bollocks. I’d deactivated the rene’s x clock input in the function settings somehow, and so have spent a good hour and a half switching cases, switching god only knows what else, poking it, switching clocks, blah blah blah. With it finally sorted, yeah. Turns out I’ve wasted half an evening’s wiggling time through good old glorious ignorance 😂 The rnd pulse and random pulses are far better obvious options for the steps tho. Work lahvly.

muffdiver
Common Wiggler

Post by muffdiver » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:02 am

Making a text file with the posts that you find interesting or of utility from this thread is super useful.

When you find an a post of interest on this thread that you like, look at what else that person has posted.
---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,

---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`

yhf
Common Wiggler

Post by yhf » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:15 am

Ripples makes a great kickdrum (and an even better tom).

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:53 am

muffdiver wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:02 am
Making a text file with the posts that you find interesting or of utility from this thread is super useful.

When you find an a post of interest on this thread that you like, look at what else that person has posted.
This ^^^

Started the same when I went through this thread the first time a few months back :goo:

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 pm

That I can use maths as a clock divider ! It’s the simple things that make all the difference.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:17 pm

yhf wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:15 am
It sure does — I'll send two separate envelopes to Ripples, one to the Gain input for decay, and a 2nd to its Freq input to dial in some thump.

yhf
Common Wiggler

Post by yhf » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm

ATW wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:17 pm
yhf wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:15 am
It sure does — I'll send two separate envelopes to Ripples, one to the Gain input for decay, and a 2nd to its Freq input to dial in some thump.
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Especially like the ones at 1:11, 1:30 and 1:40.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”