Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by pieter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:36 am

noisewreck wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm
jingo wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:12 pm
that soldering smd is even more fun than tht :)...
Yes! I find it easier and less fiddly too!
I wonder what you mean by "fiddly" here. I've done both smd and tht with a soldering iron, and while I agree that smd is not that hard, it most definitely requires pointy pincers, not sneezing in the general direction of the unsoldered components, carefully placing tiny blobs of solder on tiny pads, avoiding solder bridges, and trying not to launch smd parts across the room as you pry them from the reel. So fairly fiddly, I would say. :hihi:

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:50 am

pieter wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:36 am
noisewreck wrote:
jingo wrote:
I wonder what you mean by "fiddly" here. I've done both smd and tht with a soldering iron, and while I agree that smd is not that hard, it most definitely requires pointy pincers, not sneezing in the general direction of the unsoldered components, carefully placing tiny blobs of solder on tiny pads, avoiding solder bridges, and trying not to launch smd parts across the room as you pry them from the reel. So fairly fiddly, I would say. :hihi:
With tht you gotta bend pins, stick them through holes, bend the pins in hopes that the parts will stay put when you flip the pcb over to solder, then ya gotta maneuver around those pins, trying to make sure you’re touching the pin and the pad with the iron...

Then, when dealing with ICs, you somehow got to hold them in place while turning the pcb over... so you begin devising ways, like blue tape, etc. so they don’t fall out...

So yeah. It’s fiddly.
Last edited by noisewreck on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:51 am

Hit quote instead of edit

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:03 pm

noisewreck wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:50 am
pieter wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:36 am
noisewreck wrote:
jingo wrote:
With tht you gotta bend pins, stick them through holes, bend the pins in hopes that the parts will stay put when you flip the pcb over to solder, then ya gotta maneuver around those pins, trying to make sure you’re touching the pin and the pad with the iron...

Then, when dealing with ICs, you somehow got to hold them in place while turning the pcb over... so you begin devising ways, like blue tape, etc. so they don’t fall out...

So yeah. It’s fiddly.
Yeah, I get it. But isn't that why they go through the THT parts in order of height?

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:24 pm

value of a matrix mixer....im referring to Instruo Lion but there are quite a few options now and it has really changed my process for the better

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:22 pm

CVilization mode 4 (quad panner) as a method for phase modulation using a quadrature oscillator.

Route four 90-degree phase offset outputs to CVilization's 4 inputs, in order, with default panning. Set up equal CV control over panning for all four inputs. Patch another oscillator to CV A input (CVz can handle audio rates well enough to work).

If you only have sine/cos outputs (e.g. on the A-110-4) you can patch them to inputs 1 and 2, then mult through a voltage inverter to create 180 and 270 degree versions for inputs 3 and 4. I found it doesn't work as well for me as VCFQ or Angle Grinder though.

I'm sure this would also work with Joranalogue Morph 4, or a Doepfer Morphing Controller and a quad VCA mixer. I don't think Frames could do it since it doesn't handle audio rate CV input, if I recall correctly.

(This was inspired by Blades, since smoothly crossfading between low/band/highpass (0, 90, 180 degrees) has a similar effect.)

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:19 pm

That I love Eric Schlappi and I want to move to Oregon and have his babies.

Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:22 am

Today I used the Turing Machine as an oscillator. A pulse into the clock works as 1V/Oct if the pulse is coming from a standard oscilator, and the output creates interesting timbres. I filtered it down with a nice filter for extra timbral shaping.

But what makes it special is turning the probability control. If you go counter-clockwise the TM is an octave lower than fully clockwise, and somewhere around 9-10pm and 2-3pm you have slowly (but not continuously) changing patterns. At 12 'o clock it is very noisy, which is a neat effect as a transition between the two octaves, or in its own right. Pushing it slightly off 12 'o clock creates broken pitched tones. Very cool.

ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ETP » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Volca Modular, Bastl Drum Kastle, Rings and Clouds are best friends now :guinness:

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm

that amazon delivers the same order false three times in a row when you definitely ordered the right article... first world problem though!

Ashley Pomeroy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ashley Pomeroy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Today I discovered that if you ask Tindie to remind you when the following Korg Volca Modular MIDI interface is back in stock:
https://www.tindie.com/products/yethiel ... a-modular/

You need to dive in quickly otherwise the only thing left will be PCBs! I have a cable that merges CV/Gate into a format the Volca can use but it would be nice to drive it from a standard MIDI interface.

Since building a eurorack system I have a renewed respect for my Volca Modular but I can't think of a way to integrate it with my system. It's a shame it doesn't have a CV output or simple separate CV/Gate inputs.

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 pm

Ashley Pomeroy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm
Today I discovered that if you ask Tindie to remind you when the following Korg Volca Modular MIDI interface is back in stock:

You need to dive in quickly otherwise the only thing left will be PCBs! I have a cable that merges CV/Gate into a format the Volca can use but it would be nice to drive it from a standard MIDI interface.

Since building a eurorack system I have a renewed respect for my Volca Modular but I can't think of a way to integrate it with my system. It's a shame it doesn't have a CV output or simple separate CV/Gate inputs.
That's a cool gadget. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:52 am

WarpHead wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:19 pm
Another contender has entered the ring

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 am

Still learning the Intellijel Rubicon 1: Patching two Pressure Points CV to the Index and Symmetry inputs (and *something* to the TZFM, obv) makes it possible to instantly jump between sounds so dramatically different that I had to check more than once if Rubicon was the only sound source. Right now I have a clean triangle on pad 1, a gnarly (is that still a word?) lead on 2, bells on 3 and what I can only describe as a missile attack on 4. TZ modulator is a Richter Noisering, and a PP output to this as well multiplies opportunities for craziness. I am so impressed with the Rubicon!

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:25 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:52 am
WarpHead wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:19 pm
Another contender has entered the ring
I am willing to throw down! :slapfight: :lol:
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:12 pm

*This one was a belated rtfm, but i learnt how to fucking patch my modular to get soft sync hard sync, and discovering how awesome both sounded.

*major discovery was looking at a scope...i had no idea that having the output volume on my Doepfer Wave Multiplier was the reason i wasnt seeing/hearing any proper folding! God bless oscilloscopes - i feel like im singing it's praises ever 10 minutes :P

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:15 pm

Mult pitch to the decay CV of plucky leads everything.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Ashley Pomeroy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Looks like it's just a standard midi jack with the optoisolator and resistors. You should just build it yourself. Order the pcb and buy the $5.00 worth of parts.....

Back to topic.... I discovered that light blue Davies clone knobs look awesome on black modules.
IMG_0500.JPG
Rotate didn't work... Rotate it in your mind.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:54 pm

you can plug power pins directly into 10-pin headers on a flying bus - saves a little bit of space in a 62hp Palette Case

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Over the past 2-3 days, I have been fiddling with creating the "ultimate" generative musique concrete patch. Listening, letting it run for hours, turning knobs, re-patching parts, trying to make new patchings work with a dwindling supply of cables. Trying to get it to a point where it produces interesting, consistently inconsistent results without having to touch anything, to create a living, breathing, effluviating Cronenbergian organism.

All this time, I've made do with a single dual VCA. I never understood the need for them in my normal patching. Now I finally understand the meme:
:vcas:

I need more VCA's. I need a seq. switch. I need more random sources... I need to find a way to work one of my spare Benjolins back into my main case so I have two of them in there again... I'm also back around to thinking I might benefit from a second Voltage Block. I've got a patch full of randomly randomized randomization, and I still want more. I'm out of inputs/outputs, and all but totally out of patch cables.
useless

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:07 am

The "CLKN" wave on Braids sounds exactly like a warning-buzzer, right out of the box! All I did was a square-wave LFO into my mixer's level CV-input—voila! Instant warning-buzzer!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 pm

... that the through-hole version of the DG333 quad SPDT analog switch has gone obsolete, and it getting very scarce and expensive. This sucks for me, because it is an integral part of my 5U and Serge Quad Function Generator (which uses 3 of them) and Korgasmatron II (which uses 2). There are alternatives, but they are also either more expensive or not as convenient.
Power spent passion bespoils our soul receiver
Surely we know.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:12 am

lightbulb moment ... velcro'ing a 1U row on top of my main 6U/84 hp case, with power from that case ...

not the very brightest of lightbulbs, but you know

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:36 pm

That my CS-L makes for a wicked drum module

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am

This is total n00b shit, but I only got into modular back in the spring and my rack has yet to leave my office/studio. I work in my office all damn day during Covid, so spending evenings making music in that same room gets depressing.

I forgot how portable eurorack is. I brought my Mantis case into the living room and attached a beefy portable speaker and been having a BLAST jamming on my couch or next to the fireplace. It’s been such a revelation. No need to tear apart my studio or lug heavy gear around.

And just picked up a Tesseract Tukra (all-in-one drums), so now I cam do an entire jam from a single case. Sooooo fucking liberating.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”