Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am
I forgot how portable eurorack is. I brought my Mantis case into the living room and attached a beefy portable speaker and been having a BLAST jamming on my couch or next to the fireplace. It’s been such a revelation. No need to tear apart my studio or lug heavy gear around.
Be me, I have a Rackbrute 6U which is quite portable, but I'm always using pedals, controllers, recorders, and so I have multiple power chords everywhere... Ok, fixable, I could do without them... But I don't have a fireplace, which might be the biggest issue here.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am
This is total n00b shit, but I only got into modular back in the spring and my rack has yet to leave my office/studio. I work in my office all damn day during Covid, so spending evenings making music in that same room gets depressing.

I forgot how portable eurorack is. I brought my Mantis case into the living room and attached a beefy portable speaker and been having a BLAST jamming on my couch or next to the fireplace. It’s been such a revelation. No need to tear apart my studio or lug heavy gear around.

And just picked up a Tesseract Tukra (all-in-one drums), so now I cam do an entire jam from a single case. Sooooo fucking liberating.
That’s exactly what I’ve done too, but with a performance case. Couldn’t bare spending even more time in my office with my synths, however good they are.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:10 pm
That’s exactly what I’ve done too, but with a performance case. Couldn’t bare spending even more time in my office with my synths, however good they are.
That's awesome. Which case you using? And what you using for speakers?

I eventually need to figure out a better speaker solution for this setup. My living room has a nice Sonos surround sound system, but I'm assuming doing anything over wireless would result in annoying lag. My Sonos soundbar only has an optical in - I guess I could buy a little converter and plug into that.

My other idea was to buy one (or two if I'm missing stereo) of those big $400 JBL boomboxes - then I can be super mobile on the fly. Or maybe move by Yamaha monitors into the living room and buy some nicer monitors for my office/studio.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Lockdown has been very bad for my speakers, one of my greater lost with the pandemic (I can’t complain too much!). I have a pair of fantastic Hedd monitors that are getting dusty and cobwebby, but since my OH is home all the time, headphones are the only way I can listen to my music without driving her crazy.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:12 pm

...that happiness is having full parts bins so that I can build whatever I want and not have to order anything. All it takes is dropping a thousand dollars or so at Digikey and Small Bear.
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun.

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:52 am

I want all hex screws

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am

I came across the realization that Make Noise Pressure Points can work as a square/stepped VCO by clocking Brains at audio rate and sending pitch changes to adjust the frequency of the clocking source. This really only works well if it's being clocked by an analog source with an easily adjustable frequency, like Function or Maths. In addition, if you have Maths or two Functions (or comparable), you can run the output of the Pressure Points through the other to slew the signal, creating a gnarly pulse width modulation effect as you adjust the rise or fall.

While typing this, I just realized how this could be taken even further as Pressure Points has 3 outputs that would all be relative to each other since they're all running at the same clock rate. For example if only two knobs are set to fully clockwise on output 1, then setting only a single knob to fully clockwise on output 2 should give you a higher octave of output 1, and depending on which knobs are fully clockwise out of the four, you can set the outputs to be out of phase or out of sync with each other in increments of 25%. With the right modules, you could fade in and out or crossfade between each output while modulating the slew mentioned above to make it even more dynamic.

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:07 pm

The smallest of Micro-Mark's pipe and tube tweezer set is perfect for holding M3 screws as you mount modules. I have developed very nasty tremors over the last few months, and my attempts to inset screws has resulted in them flying all across the room. Curvy tweezers help a bit, but these are foolproof.
tweezers.jpg
tweezers.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Much aggravation avoided for $19.95.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Old IDE hard drives sometimes have extra jumpers lurking under the hood. Saved a few cents!
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:27 pm

I've been trying to think of a way to way to convert triggers to gates without necessarily buying a converter module.

Did a bit more research on the Turing Machine (I want to convert its Pulses outs to gates instead of triggers), and it turns out that if you send an LFO in as a clock source, it will send out a gate from Pulses when it goes high until the time it resets, I guess, instead of a binary trigger? Is this accurate?

I had been using a 4ms QCD with tempo tapped in as the clock for the TM. But it seems if I use the clock to ping the LFO on the 4ms QPLFO, and use this to clock the TM instead, I SHOULD be able to derive a gate from it. In theory. I just am not sure the QPLFO has a square wave/pulse output as one of its options, and if not, if any of the other wave shapes it does have can be used to clock the TM.

So I DID learn something today...clocking the TM to derive gates instead of triggers, but not sure if it will work with the LFOs I have available to me.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 am

My small discovery was Maths can be patched up as a compressor. Very interesting putting all sorts through it hearing the effects from nothing much, a bit shit, so so to very cool. My big discovery was the world of compression itself. Lots to explore. Heres the vid that sent me in this direction.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:23 am

Peng33 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:27 pm
I've been trying to think of a way to way to convert triggers to gates without necessarily buying a converter module.

Did a bit more research on the Turing Machine (I want to convert its Pulses outs to gates instead of triggers), and it turns out that if you send an LFO in as a clock source, it will send out a gate from Pulses when it goes high until the time it resets, I guess, instead of a binary trigger? Is this accurate?

I had been using a 4ms QCD with tempo tapped in as the clock for the TM. But it seems if I use the clock to ping the LFO on the 4ms QPLFO, and use this to clock the TM instead, I SHOULD be able to derive a gate from it. In theory. I just am not sure the QPLFO has a square wave/pulse output as one of its options, and if not, if any of the other wave shapes it does have can be used to clock the TM.

So I DID learn something today...clocking the TM to derive gates instead of triggers, but not sure if it will work with the LFOs I have available to me.
That's right, the TM outptus the clock pulse length. You can feed it an LFO that has cv control oover PWM. Clock a step sequencer alongside the TM, and let its output modulate the duty cycle.

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:24 am

It’s New Filter Day, and I just discovered how fun VC over resonance is. Why is this not more common?

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:42 am

the shed is too cold to sit and solder in

poorness
Ultra Wiggler

Post by poorness » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:48 am

After using Eurorack for 5 years or so, I recently realized I have major Buchla envy (and always have). Part of me wants to sell my entire Eurorack system and buy an Easel Command. Another part of me simply wants both. :despair:
I am member #22,363

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:47 am

1n wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:52 am
I want all hex screws
I am in the process of switching out all my screws with short, black, hex. Obviously, this deceptively simple task expanded and spilled into rearranging the main rack, and that turned into making a 105HP synth of a smaller case that I can play with my kickass Casio MIDI guitar, so now I have modules everywhere and the cat is banned from Outer Space (this name for my music room makes sense in Norwegian).
The guitar synth has so far not become completely awesome, but it WILL have my new Dave Smith Curtis Filter. Yum.
Also, 105HP is very little. 22HP lost to Row Power, MIDI input, and audio output, Maths is wider than I remembered, there are TOUGH CHOICES to be made with limited space.

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 am

Hovmod wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:47 am

I am in the process of switching out all my screws with short, black, hex.
I'm glad it's not just me :tu:

These choices make more and better sounds possible.

I'm trying to reduce to three small cases: 1x84hp (utilities/FX), Palette case (playable modules) and Pod48 (controls). I'm shuffling towards a single Intellijel 7U/84, plus the Pod... slowly, because I like the process :)

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Today I realized that I could use Mutable Rings + and envelope follower to make a voltage controlled decay envelope. I had already learned this trick with low pass gates and pingable filters in combination with an envelope follower but it hadn't occurred to me to use rings in this way. I mostly use rings in feedback patching or as an audio processor but this gives be a reason to use the strum input even when I don't want "that" Rings sound.

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:42 pm

I used my oscillator as a LFO , at about 200 bpm. I sent that waveform to a resonant filter with another output from the oscillator as a modulation for the resonance. I sent a sub harmonic output from the same oscillator into the sequencer as a clock source. I sent the sequencer output to the 1v/oct in on the filter. Now I had a tuned snappy filter ping that was always in sync. That was fed to a karplus strong algorithm on the Happy Nerding FX Aid with the delay tracking the same sequence as the filter.
Oh that was good. Always musical and in tune, yet super tweakable. Yum.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:43 am

I learned today that using Subdivisions output on the Folder Processor (Tip Top) instead of the normal folder oitput is crazy intersting. Using this output and tweaking the knobs is soo cool. I am getting the fattest bass sounds I ever heard in my studio.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:51 am

smoo wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:43 am
I learned today that using Subdivisions output on the Folder Processor (Tip Top) instead of the normal folder oitput is crazy intersting. Using this output and tweaking the knobs is soo cool. I am getting the fattest bass sounds I ever heard in my studio.
Yeah, I use these and tweak them as I record live so I can have different "voices" enter the mix. My only issue with using this output is the "sweet spot" on the inject knob is very small, and sometimes both sides of the sweet spot sounds like harsh distortion/noise.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 pm

I found out that the moog grandmother works as a midi to cv module

BaggerMcGuirk
Common Wiggler

Post by BaggerMcGuirk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:31 pm

I learned that quantizers and S&H modules are very nearly the same thing. It broke my brain a little.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm

BaggerMcGuirk wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:31 pm
I learned that quantizers and S&H modules are very nearly the same thing. It broke my brain a little.
How so?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

BaggerMcGuirk
Common Wiggler

Post by BaggerMcGuirk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm
BaggerMcGuirk wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:31 pm
How so?
I guess I never quite realized that both S&H and quantizers take a cv sample and hold it in place. Quantizers just take the extra step of adjusting the voltage to a pre-defined grid. I was watching the Voltage Control Lab video about Quantermain on Ornament and Crime, and it talked about how turning off the grid made it a S&H module, and it was a little light bulb moment for me.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”