Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
CeilingFanDan
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:33 am

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by CeilingFanDan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:11 pm

CeilingFanDan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:04 pm
Small discovery was sending stepped cv to the size parameter in typhoon Oliverb mode (I’m assuming works for erbe too?) makes drummy sounds.
A straight up gate (like the default from PNW) with even on/off time sounds kind of like a kick and snare.
Crazy
uploaded here:

Lest
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Lest » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:09 am

MI Stages (Qiemem) in quantizer mode limits the offset to a 0-2V range, which is damn good to jam and push a bassline to lead territory. The slider's full range can be used without fearing going too high.

1n
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by 1n » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:30 am

I finished building a usable box o synths after trying modular out for a couple of years: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1489070

Three small cases (and a box of underused modules) reduced to 7U. I don't have much space to work in (about 1 m of desk shared with other tasks) so this is it for now. Plus a powered 4ms Pod 48, with Pressure Points/Brains and Voltage Block.

I probably won't sell these modules. If I want a new sound I'll move modules in/out.

Anyway, my small discovery today is that finishing building a eurorack case is like visiting a favourite city the third or fourth time. I want to wander independently but often end up in tourist spots anyhow. Then I find myself thinking I might as well have bought a ticket for the tourist bus/trail the first time around. There's often a good reason popular attractions are popular.

colb
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by colb » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 am

...I can use the reset input on clock dividers and sequencers as a compositional tool.
So instead of just sending triggers to sync up multiple dividers and sequencers, send long gates from another divider to pause/hold the driven processes.

Much simpler than gating the clock input and separately triggering the reset...

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm

Mystic Circuits Portal is pretty cool for running LFOs through and getting not-quite-random triggers and disrupted shapes.

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by BaloErets » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Today I came to a comfortable realization that for how I work, keeping my modular system "modular" is a better approach than trying to expand my system.

I'm currently at 15u of 104hp, and I've managed to keep that system at the same size for over 2 years now. I have in boxes modules that could fill up another 9u of 104hp, but I really like the ergonomics of my system, and I prefer limiting my options rather than having everything available at once.

I find there are a lot of sweet spots in my system that open to swap modules out between each other.

Example 1; I have 3 areas of 14hp around my system reserved for filters. I have the options of;
- XAOC Belgrad
- Synth Tech 440
- R*S VCFQ
- Toppobrillo Multifilter
- Intellijel Dr. Oct II
- Make Noise MMF

Example 2; The E352 and SWN are the exact same size, they swap between each other regularly. And when I don't need that space for those voices, the 4ms VCAM easily takes it's place.

I'm sure the day will come where I will probably add another 3u to the system permanently, but for now I kind of like looking at my modular system being fully modular.

User avatar
Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Northumbria

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:52 pm

I pressed the N button on Marbles and fed a CV signal into the Spread input.....
here hare here!

hpc
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 am

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by hpc » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 pm

How much louder QPAS gets when you only use a mono output. Bonus volume with VCA cranked past 2 (like a definite distorted crunch instead of the usual passive boost), as well as the negative resonance trick (sending -10v from Maths to the Q input at fully ccw Q and the attenuverter at full cw). It seriously adds some beef to a Morphagene drum sample!

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Michaalhell » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 am

Today my small discovery was a big revelation..

I have this system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1379145

And I love the size of my rack it’s easy to take with me and so on.. my rack as it is now is very beat centric and that’s cool but i realized that there is nothing in my rack that sends me out for exploring rythmn and timbre. My Octatrack is more explorative then my eurorack (as it is now) so my big revelation was... “what’s the point?” If I can do this on my other devices why even go through the pain of eurorack.

So I’ve highlighted my main issues to be my use of synth voices and my sequencer being to menu divey.

So my thinking is that I will focus on one oscillator and have a more old school sequencer with a quantizer and some extra modulation modules to modulate the sequence..

Any tips would be appreciated..

User avatar
pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:34 am
Location: Falls Church, VA
Contact:

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by pmboos » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:27 am

Michaalhell wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 am
Today my small discovery was a big revelation..

I have this system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1379145

And I love the size of my rack it’s easy to take with me and so on.. my rack as it is now is very beat centric and that’s cool but i realized that there is nothing in my rack that sends me out for exploring rythmn and timbre. My Octatrack is more explorative then my eurorack (as it is now) so my big revelation was... “what’s the point?” If I can do this on my other devices why even go through the pain of eurorack.

So I’ve highlighted my main issues to be my use of synth voices and my sequencer being to menu divey.

So my thinking is that I will focus on one oscillator and have a more old school sequencer with a quantizer and some extra modulation modules to modulate the sequence..
What would adding a semi-modular and a simple sequencer (like an SQ-1, though it doesn't have to be that simple) do towards accomplishing this?
Any tips would be appreciated..
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

User avatar
mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by mosorensen » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:34 am

Michaalhell wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 am
Today my small discovery was a big revelation..

I have this system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1379145

And I love the size of my rack it’s easy to take with me and so on.. my rack as it is now is very beat centric and that’s cool but i realized that there is nothing in my rack that sends me out for exploring rythmn and timbre. My Octatrack is more explorative then my eurorack (as it is now) so my big revelation was... “what’s the point?” If I can do this on my other devices why even go through the pain of eurorack.

So I’ve highlighted my main issues to be my use of synth voices and my sequencer being to menu divey.

So my thinking is that I will focus on one oscillator and have a more old school sequencer with a quantizer and some extra modulation modules to modulate the sequence..

Any tips would be appreciated..
I am not familiar with all the modules in your rack, but from what I know, I think it looks fine. First, the NerdSeq is definitely "menu divey", but after putting in the work to figure it out, I have found it to be incredibly rewarding. I wouldn't replace it.

I would explore three things:

1) Use slow'ish LFOs from Stages to change timbre, i.e., into the Timbre and Morph inputs in Plaits, along with the various inputs on Three Sisters (especially FM) and other filters you have. This changes Timbre out of sync with the main beat, as the LFOs drift in and out of phase with the beat.

When modulating filters, make sure that the audio into the filter has enough harmonic content to make the modulation sound "interesting".

2) Use some Modulation tracks on NerdSeq for stepped modulation in sync with the main beat. This works similarly to Voltage Block. In one of NerdSeqs tracks fill in 4 or 8 random values in the mod column, and keep those values repeating quickly (mark them and use the random function in the Nerd menu until you get something that works). This works great for synced modulation, and you should try this into the same inputs as above, but this may also work especially well in Plait's Model input

3) Create a rhythm on NerdSeq, say a Euclidean Rhythm, and send it through Integra Funkitus, while slowly modulating the CV In on the IF (e.g., with an unsync'ed slow LFO from Stages). This way the rhythm will "fade" in and out. (This may require some fine tuning, because I have found that IF's CV in has a fairly small "sweet spot" and outside this it either basically drops all triggers or lets all of them through)

I hope this helps.

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Michaalhell » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:06 pm

mosorensen wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:34 am
Michaalhell wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 am
Today my small discovery was a big revelation..

I have this system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1379145

And I love the size of my rack it’s easy to take with me and so on.. my rack as it is now is very beat centric and that’s cool but i realized that there is nothing in my rack that sends me out for exploring rythmn and timbre. My Octatrack is more explorative then my eurorack (as it is now) so my big revelation was... “what’s the point?” If I can do this on my other devices why even go through the pain of eurorack.

So I’ve highlighted my main issues to be my use of synth voices and my sequencer being to menu divey.

So my thinking is that I will focus on one oscillator and have a more old school sequencer with a quantizer and some extra modulation modules to modulate the sequence..

Any tips would be appreciated..
I am not familiar with all the modules in your rack, but from what I know, I think it looks fine. First, the NerdSeq is definitely "menu divey", but after putting in the work to figure it out, I have found it to be incredibly rewarding. I wouldn't replace it.

I would explore three things:

1) Use slow'ish LFOs from Stages to change timbre, i.e., into the Timbre and Morph inputs in Plaits, along with the various inputs on Three Sisters (especially FM) and other filters you have. This changes Timbre out of sync with the main beat, as the LFOs drift in and out of phase with the beat.

When modulating filters, make sure that the audio into the filter has enough harmonic content to make the modulation sound "interesting".

2) Use some Modulation tracks on NerdSeq for stepped modulation in sync with the main beat. This works similarly to Voltage Block. In one of NerdSeqs tracks fill in 4 or 8 random values in the mod column, and keep those values repeating quickly (mark them and use the random function in the Nerd menu until you get something that works). This works great for synced modulation, and you should try this into the same inputs as above, but this may also work especially well in Plait's Model input

3) Create a rhythm on NerdSeq, say a Euclidean Rhythm, and send it through Integra Funkitus, while slowly modulating the CV In on the IF (e.g., with an unsync'ed slow LFO from Stages). This way the rhythm will "fade" in and out. (This may require some fine tuning, because I have found that IF's CV in has a fairly small "sweet spot" and outside this it either basically drops all triggers or lets all of them through)

I hope this helps.
Thanks for comment. I am actually really hesitant to sell it. I’m thinking that maybe I will put it in a small pod case, cause I do think it’s seriously brilliant, but it kinda sucks to always have to set up a sequence instead of just going at it.

I will definetly try those tips!

User avatar
neumedi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by neumedi » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Feeding various Zadar cycling envelopes into Mimeophon's Rate and Micro-rate CV inputs.

Basic sound from BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 1 or 2, with Repeats up high, some of the crazier Zadar envelopes into Micro-rate gave some pretty crazy dual pitch bagpipe like variations.

Or, start similarly with BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 3, 4, 5, with Repeats in the middle, some smoother Zadar envelopes into Rate gives endless polyrhythm goodness. Even better with turning ping pong on.

1n
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by 1n » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:33 pm

After trying out Micro Ornament and Crime over the past couple of weeks, it's pretty much a clean sweep on my not responding well to any multi-function modules.

And I'm still looking for the functions of, or an actual, Antimatter Brain Seed... 4hp genius.

User avatar
Electro Something
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Electro Something » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 pm

neumedi wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Feeding various Zadar cycling envelopes into Mimeophon's Rate and Micro-rate CV inputs.

Basic sound from BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 1 or 2, with Repeats up high, some of the crazier Zadar envelopes into Micro-rate gave some pretty crazy dual pitch bagpipe like variations.

Or, start similarly with BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 3, 4, 5, with Repeats in the middle, some smoother Zadar envelopes into Rate gives endless polyrhythm goodness. Even better with turning ping pong on.
ohhhhhh I need to try this.

Which input is the "micro rate"? The Rate's attenuator? And how slow or fast are those Zadar envelopes you're sending?

Cpaf
Common Wiggler
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Cpaf » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 pm
neumedi wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Feeding various Zadar cycling envelopes into Mimeophon's Rate and Micro-rate CV inputs.

Basic sound from BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 1 or 2, with Repeats up high, some of the crazier Zadar envelopes into Micro-rate gave some pretty crazy dual pitch bagpipe like variations.

Or, start similarly with BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 3, 4, 5, with Repeats in the middle, some smoother Zadar envelopes into Rate gives endless polyrhythm goodness. Even better with turning ping pong on.
ohhhhhh I need to try this.

Which input is the "micro rate"? The Rate's attenuator? And how slow or fast are those Zadar envelopes you're sending?
uRate is the one beneath the rate input jack :)

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: London

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:34 pm

This is fairly obvious so might have been done already. Apologies.
I found that you can get a very convincing delay effect by triggering a medium-fast heavily-attenuated cycling Maths envelope into the Exp CV input of an Osc (Verbos CO), and then putting the resulting audio into the audio input of DPLPG and that initial muted trig into DPLPG's CV input. I'm sure any LPG, Osc and Exp Envelope will work for this.
This works particularly well for kickdrum/bass-like frequencies.
you can also make the patch more complex...e.g. for techno like bass with the kick, you can patch two different envelopes, the first one non-cycling for the initial kick and the second one cycling for the rumble/bass part. Then mix the two envelopes (Sum out of Maths) into the CV input on your Osc. And away you go! Thanks

User avatar
neumedi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by neumedi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm
Electro Something wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 pm
neumedi wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Feeding various Zadar cycling envelopes into Mimeophon's Rate and Micro-rate CV inputs.

Basic sound from BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 1 or 2, with Repeats up high, some of the crazier Zadar envelopes into Micro-rate gave some pretty crazy dual pitch bagpipe like variations.

Or, start similarly with BIA into Mimeophon... Zone 3, 4, 5, with Repeats in the middle, some smoother Zadar envelopes into Rate gives endless polyrhythm goodness. Even better with turning ping pong on.
ohhhhhh I need to try this.

Which input is the "micro rate"? The Rate's attenuator? And how slow or fast are those Zadar envelopes you're sending?
uRate is the one beneath the rate input jack :)
Yep, the jack marked with the u (micro) sign.

For the other question, the Zadar envelopes were somewhere around 8 to 10 seconds for each cycle.

1n
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by 1n » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:22 am

Check you're using a data cable to connect with Teensy Loader.

User avatar
nexgen23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by nexgen23 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:43 pm

During some experimentation to see what would happen (half the fun right), I discovered that if you send 5v out on a single step of Voltage Block and use it as a trigger, you cannot expect to have another 5v trigger on the subsequent step, because the voltage is held constant between the steps, this should probably be obvious, but it took me trying it to wrap my head around it :)

User avatar
nexgen23
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by nexgen23 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:52 pm

1n wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:33 pm
After trying out Micro Ornament and Crime over the past couple of weeks, it's pretty much a clean sweep on my not responding well to any multi-function modules.

And I'm still looking for the functions of, or an actual, Antimatter Brain Seed... 4hp genius.
Have you tried Hemisphere Suite (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki) out? I have to o_C's and neither of them have the stock firmware (me and it do not get along well). Hemisphere is so easy to use!It has a CV Recorder (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-Hemisphere ... V-Recorder) though it is not stepped recording. Since you already have the o_C, may as well give it a try and see how you like it :)

colb
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by colb » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:59 pm

My small discovery?

That Clouds is rather good!

I bought a used monsoon in the beads update frenzy to give it a shot, knowing that at the price, even if I just use it as a delay or reverb, it would be worth it. Always resisted it in the past because most of the demos I've heard are unappealing to my ears.

1n
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am
Location: UK

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by 1n » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:08 pm

1n wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:22 am
Check you're using a data cable to connect with Teensy Loader.
Now I found the data cable, I have a working Ornament and Crime loaded with Hemisphere.

Second small discovery of today... Hemisphere is remarkable. Visual, immediate, easy to patch, fits in with everything.

User avatar
blungo2
wiggly wiggler
Posts: 1510
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: the high cold desert
Contact:

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by blungo2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm

It's not my discovery, but I think it bears repeating that Mimeophon makes a really interesting sounding oscillator.

User avatar
electricfence
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by electricfence » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:44 am

This week I realized that patching a gate into the CV input of a voltage-controlled crossfader makes it a voltage-controlled switch. It's kind of obvious, but I had never thought of it that way before I put a Doepfer A-134-2 into a small case and needed to "stretch" its functionality.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”