Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

_cyberAnalog_
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by _cyberAnalog_ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Today was my small discovery:
My two new modules Befaco Rampage and AJH Sonic XV, even quickly patched under a minute just for testing, can create a nice soundscape.
To be more precise:
1) I was a little surprised at how versatile Rampage can be, despite simple patches.
2) With Sonic XV it seems to be possible to keep resonance well under control.
(The oscillator, the good old Ataraxic Iteritas, is not in the frame.)

gogmagog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gogmagog » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Creating a feedback patch with the Strakal Brulu makes it sensitive to your body's capacitance when you mult the output to an unpatched cable.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm

LFOs + MultiChannel Mixers --> Oscillator's Pitch = Random Sequences (adjust the mix, change the notes).

Also some reverbs are way, way better than other reverbs.

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:07 pm

saw wave chords into waveshapers....

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:21 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm
LFOs + MultiChannel Mixers --> Oscillator's Pitch = Random Sequences (adjust the mix, change the notes).
This + sending a periodic reset to the LFO(s) to create a loop.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

Jopy
Common Wiggler

Post by Jopy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 pm

That it's ridiculous to feel obligated to use every single module in the case for every single patch.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:47 pm

You get what you pay for :sb:

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:04 pm

I had a bag of 10 long patch cables that I accidentally bought when I was desperate for short cables. Now I need long cables and forgot they were in my closet until last night. A winner is me!

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Jopy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 pm
That it's ridiculous to feel obligated to use every single module in the case for every single patch.
Dying at this....

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:37 pm

That it’s really fun to use a CV sequencer into an envelope follower’s gate output and try to get interesting rhythm out of it.

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm

I now have more modules than I have rack space for and I keep building more. The therapeutic value of the building process greatly exceeds the actual need for new gear. Have I discovered a NEW kind of GAS? :hmm:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:04 pm

Phitar wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm
I now have more modules than I have rack space for and I keep building more. The therapeutic value of the building process greatly exceeds the actual need for new gear. Have I discovered a NEW kind of GAS? :hmm:
No, it’s quite a common form. I’ve had it for 60 years. It’s more insidious than the other kind because it strikes hardest in the middle of music projects. (This would be so much better if I had another scale and offset.)
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:30 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:04 pm
Phitar wrote:
No, it’s quite a common form. I’ve had it for 60 years. It’s more insidious than the other kind because it strikes hardest in the middle of music projects. (This would be so much better if I had another scale and offset.)
Ok. I have officially been triggered. Pretty sure I have a problem, guess it will always just kinda "be there" huh?

Maybe its just something you get used to and learn how to push aside, I dont know. Its like everytime you figure things out and give yourself a chance to get nitty and gritty, an "new" problem arises that needs a "solution". What gives guys? Maybe I should just eat some psilocybin...

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm

^ just write music :P

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:55 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm
^ just write music :P
Its funny, the answers to some of the most existential questions in life are so stupid simple. What does it mean to be alive: to love. What career to chose: something that you love. Why are some people addicted to substances? Because they love them, because a part of their own love was never reciprocated. How do you make music from your heart? Well.... just write music right? Ugh i wish it was as easily done as it is said. It feels as though there is always something deep inside that can and should be displayed/explained through music, but accomplishing that portrayal is always at least somewhat an act of taming demons.

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am

^ i've been catching myself recently whenever i say "i need X so i can do Y" - and remember some CLASSIC AS HELL music - was done by technically extremely limited means. Over the last year i have acquired more instruments (electronic and otherwise) than i've ever had - and while it has inspired me and enriched my musical life, it hasnt made me more productive. It's just made me realise how much more i want to learn, and how much i dont know.

So whenever i catch myself thinking about equipment as a means to a productive end - i just stop - and think about the kind of music i want to be making, and actually make it - on the days my creative energy/fire is strong :-)

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:54 am

Found a good solution for all these little black tall trimmer pots. More than hundred in my modular system. These little pots are useful to limit the size of modules but are not always easy to master with big fingers. 18 colors and pleasant touch, these new knobs have made my day.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/tall-trimmer-toppers/

I'm a buyer, not a seller, and I like clever solutions.

knobism coloratur - 003.jpg

plytheman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plytheman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:10 am

Probably pretty obvious for a lot of folks who play with Rings but it just occurred to me that splitting the same signal into Brightness, Dampening, and V/Oct is great. Each note imparts its own tonal quality but does so regularly so it sounds more cohesive than a bunch of unrelated/random signals going into the inputs.

Rings was the module that made me drool over Euro some years ago and I was super excited to finally get it maybe six months back. Since then I've had fun screwing around with it but have had a harder time than expected to get what I wanted out of it. Figuring stuff out like the above, and loosely following Mylar Melodie's recent patch on combining square LFOs into a quantizer, has gotten some pretty pleasant sounds going! I still feel like I'm under-utilizing it by mostly sticking with the internal exciter but hey, sometimes you just gotta be basic.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:56 pm

Analog Shift registers to manipulate delay speed on a multichannel delay. Had a lot of fun with the 4ms DLD as 2 independent delay lines hard panned left and right and both set to the same division. Using a shift register to change the delay division/multiplication was really cool to have the delay change it's div/mult to the tempo for the left source, and know that on the next shift I would get that same exact same delay on the independant right source while a new shift happen on the left (which on next shift would be applied to the right again).
Fun times!!

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:19 pm

BaloErets - that is a totally great idea! If one has the Verbos RS, one could think of its quad ASR as a dual switch or switched S&H.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:05 am

That is a great idea. I've done something similar with my DLD only using two identical LFOs with one phase shifted. Wondering how I can accomplish something similar without a shift register...mult the mod source to a sample and hold and trigger it at the last possible time before the "shift" maybe.

PabloSrNaranja
Common Wiggler

Post by PabloSrNaranja » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:26 am

Phitar wrote:
I feel the same! Really enjoy building

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:58 am

PabloSrNaranja wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:26 am
Phitar wrote:
I feel the same! Really enjoy building
building cases and power supplies is also enjoyable!
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:10 pm

The fact that guitars have six (sometimes more!) strings mean they’re CONSTANTLY inclined towards six note chords (!) That is amazing.

Also, the structure of the frets leaves them much more inclined towards semi tone whatevers.

Yeah, both of these really are new discoveries 😂 Two days on guitar, <1 year on keys 😂

grrrwaaa
Common Wiggler

Post by grrrwaaa » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:10 pm
The fact that guitars have six (sometimes more!) strings mean they’re CONSTANTLY inclined towards six note chords (!) That is amazing.

Also, the structure of the frets leaves them much more inclined towards semi tone whatevers.

Yeah, both of these really are new discoveries 😂 Two days on guitar, <1 year on keys 😂
It struck me many years ago what a lovely constraint a set of 4 or 6 tuned base notes plus a handful (in the literal sense) of closely related offsets makes. I'm still sometimes sort of surprised this isn't made more use of in electronic spaces.

I guess in analog modular you can tune a few oscillators to GCEA or whatever wets your noodles, and use close cluster of precision voltages as v/Oct inputs to them. Perhaps the old trick of gates into mixers for the fret fingerwork, perhaps through a rotating switch for different fingerings. Perhaps another sequenced pitch offset added to them all for wristwork. Then a completely different sequence to pick/strum/etc the voices.

Maybe it would sound awful, maybe not. Maybe a bit of thought could take this in a direction that retains the fun without necessarily trying to be like a stringed instrument.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”