Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:31 pm

grrrwaaa wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:38 pm
It struck me many years ago what a lovely constraint a set of 4 or 6 tuned base notes plus a handful (in the literal sense) of closely related offsets makes. I'm still sometimes sort of surprised this isn't made more use of in electronic spaces.
I kind of do this with drones, patching a DC offset to them through a switch so I can transpose them. I don't really set it up like guitar strings though, and often have multiple oscillators on the same pitch (or at octaves) because it's more about timbral shift than pitches.

ModLifeCrisis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ModLifeCrisis » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:47 am

I've only just come across this thread. I need to go through it for the nuggets of gold. I have made three discoveries this week. 1) I've learned how to use the SQ-1 to both play a sequence and transpose it; 2) I've learned how to make the SQ-1 swing and 3) I've discovered what the Model input on Plaits does (late to the party for that one I know, but I'd never bothered to read the manual...) I made a little video about my discoveries and put them in a separate post - hope it is okay to post a link to the video here too.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am

I got a MIDI playable sampler and I still don't care about electronic drums, sampled or otherwise. I'll use percussion for light and shade, and noise perc is nice. But synth drums < interesting.

You're sitting listening to sounds on Youtube or Bandcamp, and they drop a beat in - like they've been holding themselves back from improving the soundscape by adding thud and tish. Those drums? It's the sound of headless satire, a 40-year-old running joke, that everyone seems to repeat but they forgot why.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 pm

1n wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am
I got a MIDI playable sampler and I still don't care about electronic drums, sampled or otherwise. I'll use percussion for light and shade, and noise perc is nice. But synth drums < interesting.

You're sitting listening to sounds on Youtube or Bandcamp, and they drop a beat in - like they've been holding themselves back from improving the soundscape by adding thud and tish. Those drums? It's the sound of headless satire, a 40-year-old running joke, that everyone seems to repeat but they forgot why.
I'm with you and not with you at the same time. I personally love synthesized drums with a passion, but not if your just playing the same 808/909 samples or machines. There's nothing I hate more than a 909 open hat on a "modern" techno track. But heads act like it's sacrilege to hate on a 909. That shit is McDonald's to me and holding electronic music back IMO. Get some creativity already. Honestly I hate sampled acoustic drums over otherwise synthesized music even more. It sounds corny to me and doesn't gel in the mix very well unless some other "natural" sounds are there to balance. Similar to putting all that work I to sound design just to tarnish it with thud, it's like your using these primitive synth sounds and distracting with samples containing a thousand times more sonic depth - even if it's just a conga over your 16 voice monster polyphonic whatever - our brains know it's shit.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:08 am

Lokua wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 pm
our brains know it's shit.
yup, acoustic drum samples and regarding mixes as durational troughs to be filled - both make me sad

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:53 am

Lokua wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 pm
There's nothing I hate more than a 909 open hat on a "modern" techno track. But heads act like it's sacrilege to hate on a 909.
It's neither a discovery I made today nor a small one. But the reasons why I don't like most techno tracks are:
1. The 909 open hihat
2. The 909 kick drum

They sound like involuntary satire to me.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:26 pm

So probably most of you know of the idea of feeding multiple gate channels into a mixer to create sequences based on a mix of those gates, when they trigger and the voltage range they are hitting. Mixing these signals together create variations of sequences.

Didn't hit me until tonight to take advantage that each channel of Pamela's New Workout has both a level amount an offset value and a phase %. So easy to set up these kinds of sequences, and then having the Rskip and Euclidean Rhytm built in, mixing multiple channels of Pams into a mixer or a Sequential Switch is a very powerful true modular Sequencer!
Tonight the magic happened with 4 channels of Pams going into the4 inputs of the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix. Channels 1 and 2 of the SSM going into separate quantizers and fed my oscillators for pitch. Was so easy to dial in the attenuation/offset/phase for each Pam Channel. A great module for this kind of sequencing!!

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:12 am

The trick with random is LOADS of rests.

DirkB
Common Wiggler

Post by DirkB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 am

what's the point of having level, offset, etc. on trigger/gates coming from PAM's into a sequential switch? I don't see the use of these for gate /trigger sequencing or do you use those parameters for CV (pitch) sequencing only?

banedox
Common Wiggler

Post by banedox » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 am

I need more than just my trait

Katherine Alicia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Katherine Alicia » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:04 am

the Behringer System 55 modules will fit eurorack, so I CAN have my 914 module afterall :D
*Peace, Love, Unity, Respect*
https://www.youtube.com/KatherineAlicia

DirkB
Common Wiggler

Post by DirkB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 am

BaloErets wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:26 pm
So probably most of you know of the idea of feeding multiple gate channels into a mixer to create sequences based on a mix of those gates, when they trigger and the voltage range they are hitting. Mixing these signals together create variations of sequences.

Didn't hit me until tonight to take advantage that each channel of Pamela's New Workout has both a level amount an offset value and a phase %. So easy to set up these kinds of sequences, and then having the Rskip and Euclidean Rhytm built in, mixing multiple channels of Pams into a mixer or a Sequential Switch is a very powerful true modular Sequencer!
Tonight the magic happened with 4 channels of Pams going into the4 inputs of the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix. Channels 1 and 2 of the SSM going into separate quantizers and fed my oscillators for pitch. Was so easy to dial in the attenuation/offset/phase for each Pam Channel. A great module for this kind of sequencing!!
what's the point of having level, offset, etc. on trigger/gates coming from PAM's into a sequential switch? I don't see the use of these for gate /trigger sequencing or do you use those parameters for CV (pitch) sequencing only?

twigathy
Common Wiggler

Post by twigathy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 am

Today I discovered that a Wavetable LFO + Quantizer is a pretty fun pairing... The patches here included a bunch of DIY modules + the Sonic Potions Penrose quantizer.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1306996
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1146663

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 pm

My small discovery today is that I bought an ornament and crime with hemisphere and have no idea WTF I'm doing.

Well, not totally true... I've been testing out the logic app.

Now I've read something about a "library of Turing Machines" and I'm totally dumbfounded.

sensien
Common Wiggler

Post by sensien » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:18 pm

... or do you use those parameters for CV (pitch) sequencing only?
[/quote]

Yes you can build sequencers like that.
Here is an ancient potato cam vid I made to demo this to a friend years ago..

DirkB
Common Wiggler

Post by DirkB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:46 pm

sensien wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:18 pm
... or do you use those parameters for CV (pitch) sequencing only?
Yes you can build sequencers like that.
Here is an ancient potato cam vid I made to demo this to a friend years ago..

[/quote]

I see now, thanks

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:19 am

DirkB wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 am
BaloErets wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Yes they are being used for pitch as I mentioned in my original post (bold and underlined to highlight the mention).

Jopy
Common Wiggler

Post by Jopy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm

...the amazingness that is the Hexinverter Jupiter Storm. I got it on a whim partially because I've been thinking about something for randomization like a Wogglebug, and partially because the JS was available at Midwest Modular, and partially because I was buying somehting else that looked lonely in the shopping cart (none of these constitute great reasoning, I know).

I've used ring modulators and semi-controlled randomization a lot before in the digital domain, so I had a clear sense of how the Jupiter Storm would be useful for both CV and audio purposes. But the second I hooked it up, it was breathing and moving all over the place well beyond what I expected. A lot of the demos focus on how wonderfully complex and noisy it can get, but the JS also adds amazing organic texture and expressivity as a percussive voice when patched into an LPG or through filter and then into a VCA.

The problem that arises is that when fate richly rewards an impulse purchase like this, I suspect I'm not going to learn an important lesson about the value of self-control.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 am

Jopy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
...the amazingness that is the Hexinverter Jupiter Storm. I got it on a whim partially because I've been thinking about something for randomization like a Wogglebug, and partially because the JS was available at Midwest Modular, and partially because I was buying somehting else that looked lonely in the shopping cart (none of these constitute great reasoning, I know).

I've used ring modulators and semi-controlled randomization a lot before in the digital domain, so I had a clear sense of how the Jupiter Storm would be useful for both CV and audio purposes. But the second I hooked it up, it was breathing and moving all over the place well beyond what I expected. A lot of the demos focus on how wonderfully complex and noisy it can get, but the JS also adds amazing organic texture and expressivity as a percussive voice when patched into an LPG or through filter and then into a VCA.

The problem that arises is that when fate richly rewards an impulse purchase like this, I suspect I'm not going to learn an important lesson about the value of self-control.
Well said! Now I'm curious. Do you have any examples to share??
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Jopy
Common Wiggler

Post by Jopy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 am
Jopy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
...the amazingness that is the Hexinverter Jupiter Storm...A lot of the demos focus on how wonderfully complex and noisy it can get, but the JS also adds amazing organic texture and expressivity as a percussive voice when patched into an LPG or through filter and then into a VCA.
Well said! Now I'm curious. Do you have any examples to share??
Here ya go! I put a longer explanation in Soundcloud. I figured the demo would be showing transformation of the most often heard Jupiter I output (the noisy one) can easily be the raw material for a more mellow sound. The rhythmic output of VIII and XI were especially interesting for me when paired with a more steady pulse, creates a sort of rubato-over-clocked combination that I like.

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:09 pm

I can resynchronise a long free running clock gate/square LFO to any trigger by sending both to an S&H. I know it sounds obvious, but I’ve only been using S&H to sample modulations and v/Oct CVs until now :doh:

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:46 pm

A couple simple sequential switch type tricks: Creating 64 step pitch sequences with Mimetic Digitalis by patching the 4 outputs to a sequential switch that is triggered every four bars. Patch this to a quantizer for related pitches.

Using Shifty in a similar manner as a sequential switch with ‘empty’ outputs, to add rests between hockets, change the cadence/time signature, etc.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:21 am

Getting my monitors off the desktop sounds way better.
I put them on a pair of monitor stands.
Less bass resonances and much clearer, more open sound.
Highly recommended :tu:
(only tangentially eurorack related, but it was today's small discovery)

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:22 am

Music Thing Control modulating Panharmonium handling aux duties on a mix of smooshed field recordings - it's a lot of fun.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:00 am

I really appreciate shrouded and 'countersunk' / 'embedded' power headers. Bare headers seem like a 10c afterthought on the rear of a 500$ module.

ALM - Mutable Instruments - Rossum :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”