Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

aphantomvaper
Common Wiggler

Post by aphantomvaper » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am

Today I learned that if I patch the rise or fall from Rampage into the hold for Noise Reap Sequencer there is a wonderful slow ramp down to step hold, then a slow ramp up to full clock speed as the Rampage cycles.

This is post 50 for me, diving into members only! :nana:
The only thing that stays the same is change

akrenaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akrenaut » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Today my small discovery was: #1 Taking audio rate signals to CV inputs. Typically you think of CV going in instead of audio rate signals. (other than FM modulation) Interesting results.

#2 Running CV modulation to an audio input, something like an effects processor opens a lot of doors. Mangling CV through delay, or bit crushing, it and then sending it back out for modulation duties. You always think of an effects module for processing audio rate, but it can be quite interesting what it can do for manipulating CV as well.

red-tin-dave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by red-tin-dave » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Today my small discovery was: the CV 0 on my Bela Pepper module stopped working and I managed to work round it by editing the Pure Data tape echo patch - first time ever grappling with Pure data - but now tape speed is controlled by CV 7 which wasn't being used.
Next step - making my own Pure Data patches! (maybe)
(oh and fixing the CV 0 potentiometer)

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:13 am

Today I (accidentally) discovered that you can *combine* the internal clock + the external clock signal on Euclidean Circles to syncopate steps or create uneven step patterns

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Last night I was looking at my "accusonics" spring reverb tank.
Today I read this.

Spring Reverb was invented for use in Hammond Organs in the 1930s and went on sale in the 1940s.
The first compact reverb effect was created by a division of the Hammond Organ Company which became known as Accusonics
Wow

Foghorn

EDIT: size=14

Plus, Sweetwater Sound in the US has an article called "What is spring reverb" about reverb history.
Hope they don't mind my linking it here.
reverb article
Last edited by Foghorn on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Live-patching clocks and trigs with buffered multiples is fun; with passive multiples, not so much ...
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Self feedback on audio samples through filters. Bonkers

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:17 am

how to actually get marbles to do what i wanted rather than staring blankly at the manual and going... uhhhh....

[making it play a melody via cv and rhythmic gate outs but to repeat for a while with variations then move along to a whole new one adinfinitum]

and also, got oldskool z8k with no jumpers for 0 -- 5V instead of 0 - 10V? just turn the knobs halfway!

edit: oh, and if you unplug power cables when reconfiguring case, dont forget to plug mixer back in - it still semi-worked passively, but i couldnt figure what was wrong for 20mins...
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 am

Rings into Via Scanner, with some envelope modulation on another axis, is a universe of cool digital noise. Or two Rings into Scanner.

And also the logic outputs of Scanner are good for exciting DSM03 Feedback...
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:35 am

Today I learned how to use temps utile to create enforced syncopation by using different phase settings for each trigger output. This means I can trigger kicks, snares, notes, envelopes, etc from temps randomly or otherwise and nothing will trigger simultaneously as long as everything is synced to channel 1 in global settings. 8-)

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03 am

If you have a trigger sequencer with multiple outputs but doesn't have a "song mode" like Bastl Knit Rider, you could use 2 or more channels with a switch/sequential switch to CV control pattern "changes"

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by BaloErets » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:26 pm

Perhaps obvious, but something we take for granted; Making music is a blessing, and your ends to your means should never be something you have to defend, or explain in defence.

A couple of days ago I had a great melodic patch going but part of what was driving the fluctuations of pitch information was hitting higher notes than I didn't want to address. I sent it through a channel of the wonderful 4ms SISM, and was able to finetune that modulation within the range I wanted to address.

This weekend I purchased a Novation SL MkIII, and had my circuit mono station jamming out with my modular, with a bunch of VSTi's... One of the VSTi's I was using was having the exact same problem as above. It was hitting some higher notes I didn't want to address. This was the amazing Arturia SEM emulation.

At first I was thinking if only this was CV that I was using, I could just attenuate it and adjust the bias and get it within the range I needed. But in the end it's just as easy to use midi tools to apply midi processing that either works as a midi compressor or even processing that works in the exact same manner as CV attenuverting and adjusting bias.

So my discovery today is that knowing your tools and exploring what they are capable of is one of the necessities to breaking out of your barriers.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:54 pm

I can use my old SH-101 as a controller keyboard. That hole labelled "CV Out" actually gives out 1V/Octave, the cunning little devil. :doh:

mosorensen
Common Wiggler

Post by mosorensen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:26 pm

This is squarely in the "small discovery" category: I had a gate that I needed to monitor and an unused Warps in the rack. I plugged the gate into "algo" on Warps, and then I had the largest, roundest, brightest knob lighting up whenever the gate went high.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:02 pm

If you CV a crossfader with a pulse wave, then use two other waveforms from the same VCO as the A and B inputs to the crossfader, then adjusting the pulse width is like sliding a window across the two waveforms, one reflected and one transmitted.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:24 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:02 pm
If you CV a crossfader with a pulse wave, then use two other waveforms from the same VCO as the A and B inputs to the crossfader, then adjusting the pulse width is like sliding a window across the two waveforms, one reflected and one transmitted.
trippy

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 am

When patching Plaits into my KB37 ( triggering the gate and pitch from stack cables ), I found that if I first patched my Tonestar 2600 into Maths as a slew limiter, I could play duophonically, because the signal from the Tonestar was being delayed long enough to allow Plaits to trigger first. As a control, I patched the Tonestar straight to the output--monophony with two oscs, as expected.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Today my small discovery was that it really sucks to run out of VCAs :cry:
What was that thing that somebody said?

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:12 pm

MI Stages: Feeback the CV delay mode (red) can act as a CV looper/recorder

jnduffie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jnduffie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Pelang wrote:
Pelang -- can you provide a bit more detail on how you do this? It sounds fascinating, but I don't quite understand what you're doing or how it works.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm

jnduffie wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:00 pm
Pelang wrote:
Pelang -- can you provide a bit more detail on how you do this? It sounds fascinating, but I don't quite understand what you're doing or how it works.
Yes, please. How long a CV loop can you get? Can you reset it?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:33 am

- Two oscillators into L and R inputs of a crosspanner (like Cold Mac)
- A third oscillator into the crossfade CV input

What I'm using right now is Hertz Donut mk2 primary for the left, and Kermit for the right. Kermit is in PLL mode and is trying to track the Donut's modulator square output, but it's not perfect. Donut's in follow mode with the modulator tuned down 1 octave, and I've got some FM dialed in.

It is generally mono compatible -- not perfectly so across all bands at all times, but at worst it only partially cancels out. Not having the three oscillators perfectly synced helps keep it from getting "stuck" in a bad phase relationship.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:58 am

electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm
jnduffie wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:00 pm
Pelang wrote:
Yes, please. How long a CV loop can you get? Can you reset it?
sure, its very simple: one channel in stage set on red. plug a stackable between CVin and its output. Put the knob on max and the move the slider. The delay feedback creates a loop. Max CV recording is max delay time...so around 5-6 sec.

Works as well when patching two delays: delay 1 output to delay 2 CV input / delay 2 output to delay 1 CV input.

Reset by unplugging the loop or put an attenuator in between....havent tried that but should work as slowly fading out over time...

pelang
Common Wiggler

Post by pelang » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am

or put an attenuator in between....havent tried that but should work as slowly fading out over time...

It works...very nice.

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:44 am

Monitoring the output of an analog VCO being FMed by a bass guitar quick ass !

Added some Ring Mod of the clean bass guitar sound by that same VCO = even better !

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

Return to “Eurorack Modules”