Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jjterbeek
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by jjterbeek » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:03 pm

building complete drumkit with 2 channels Voltage Block and 2HP Play with 8 drum samples... nice!

BluYote
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BluYote » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Filter modules with the LP/BP/HP on different jack outputs is a fun way to give stereo width to a mono voice! Just patch two of them to L and R channels and then LFO the cutoff :sb:

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Patched a slow simple drum rhythm and added a gentle piano loop. Then played along on a polysynth.

A lovely break from exploring crazy modulation. Hardly a full song but fun anyway. :cloud:

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:19 pm

I love Behringer

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Imitating an FM Aid with a mixer and the Sine lookup module in Bitwig Grid, with the primary oscillator of Hertz Donut mk2 as the main input and the modulation osc through a VCA as the modulation input, leads to a nifty impression of old-school Yamaha OPL chip FM. Totally different flavor than just using the Donut's internal FM.

I think I'm gonna have to pick up a real FM Aid again and see how it compares :doh:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Divinital wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:19 pm
I love Behringer
That’s for the Confessions thread, not the discoveries thread.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Putting multiple triggers from MN tempi into a passive summing mixer (zlob) and then feeding the output into a channel of a function generator will create great semi random trigger patterns as the voltage sometimes is high enough to trip the generator and sometimes not. Just adjust levels for different variations.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:59 am

I worked out that you can mute triggers with a gate using an XOR and an AND: send the trigger and gate signals into the XOR so the output is either the trigger or the gate but not both. Then send the original trigger and the XOR out into the AND to ensure that it is the trigger and not the gate that exits the AND gate.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 am

These logic combinations drive me crazy. I love them. :yay:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:32 am

electricanada wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:05 pm
Divinital wrote:
I love Behringer
Seems to me like they just discovered they love Behringer

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:53 am

cackland wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:32 am
electricanada wrote:
Divinital wrote:
I love Behringer
Seems to me like they were shown the door for Behringer-related trolling already before your post ;) and let's leave it at that.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:25 pm

Arneb wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:53 am
cackland wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:32 am
electricanada wrote:
Divinital wrote:
I love Behringer
Seems to me like they were shown the door for Behringer-related trolling already before your post ;) and let's leave it at that.
Yes ma’am!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 pm

TIL that Mutable Instruments Saraswati logo stickers shouldn't be placed on car windows because it takes a lot of work with a paint scraper to remove them. Much more so than yellow IME stickers.

Also, Skritti Politti's "Perfect Way" (or the superior Miles Davis cover) can be mashed up with Yoshi's theme from Super Mario World.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:18 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 pm
TIL that Mutable Instruments Saraswati logo stickers shouldn't be placed on car windows because it takes a lot of work with a paint scraper to remove them. Much more so than yellow IME stickers.
Yikes, I always wonder if I should throw that sticker on my office window. Signs point to no

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:46 pm

Mimeophon with skew (that's important), a relatively slow zone like magenta, clock out into Marbles, set to multiply the clock rate.

One of the Marbles x outputs to VCO pitch, VCO output through a VCA, Marbles t2 triggering a fast decay envelope, output through Mimeophon with some repeats and Halo to taste.

Alternately, use a faster zone and have Marbles divide; you might be able to get away with a "reverse" envelope (medium-fast attack and near instant decay).

For more chaos, have Marbles also modulate the delay time or zone. Or have the envelope modulate delay time if you just want it to go nuts.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:02 pm
If you CV a crossfader with a pulse wave, then use two other waveforms from the same VCO as the A and B inputs to the crossfader, then adjusting the pulse width is like sliding a window across the two waveforms, one reflected and one transmitted.
that's cool. thanks.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:51 am

Fast, random gates (eg from Arbhar's gate output) into a short, snappy envelope makes for a lovely modulation source for a sequential switch which can then be shuttled around various different parameters elsewhere in the patch for a rhythmic but unpredictable source of modulation.

roolbg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by roolbg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:45 am

Using the sum from the A-143-4 gives an interesting modulation source if theres a mix of vco and lfo being used above

Martebar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Martebar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56 am

That you can plug a trig sequencer into Marbles' t Clock inputs, I always though you could only use steady clocks.
A whole new world of melodies opened up.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Sine bass is not head on my TV set. Distortion (in daw) with filter after will help to bring it out a bit, but I ended up redoing the thing with a bass patch with more overtones.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Small one, but was kinda fun.

I needed a battery tester to check some AAAs for my kid’s robot. I hooked a patch cable to a DC offset, and then to the battery and then to an oscillator. I was able to check all my batteries and tell which ones were the dead ones that my kid mixed into the box. Was also a fun science experiment for him.

Told my wife, she was happy to finally see a practical use for my eurorack after all this time.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:02 pm

cg_funk wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 pm
Told my wife, she was happy to finally see a practical use for my eurorack after all this time.
Lol! However, I don't think I understood how that "battery tester" patch worked.

Dave.ID
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dave.ID » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:54 pm

It wasn't today, more a gradual thing and to most people here it's probably fairly obvious but I think the coolest thing I keep discovering is uses for envelopes. When coming from regular synths, you tend to have 1-2 envelopes for the VCA and filter and automatically assume that's their use in eurorack but there are so many cool ways to use them in a patch. I've recently used them to:
  • Patching a clocked short envelope (in time with the kick) through an offset inverter to give a solid 10V where the envelope dips the voltage then patching it into the VCA with audio going through to give a faux sidechain effect. Who needs a dedicated compressor module.
  • Patching a heavily attenuated envelope into the FM of an oscillator to make a sequenced pitch bend, it can be tricky to get the bend to be in tune but it sounds cool.
  • When FMing one oscillator with another, I put the oscillator through a VCA then into the FM slot of another Oscillator, then a short envelope into the VCA cv to get cool percussive sounds.

All of a sudden I can't get enough of envelopes. If I had infinite envelopes/clock divided triggers/attenuators then I'd slightly modulate every cv input in a voice into a crazy rhythmic voice but that would be many more modules than I have.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Dave.ID wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:54 pm
It wasn't today, more a gradual thing and to most people here it's probably fairly obvious but I think the coolest thing I keep discovering is uses for envelopes. When coming from regular synths, you tend to have 1-2 envelopes for the VCA and filter and automatically assume that's their use in eurorack but there are so many cool ways to use them in a patch. I've recently used them to:
  • Patching a clocked short envelope (in time with the kick) through an offset inverter to give a solid 10V where the envelope dips the voltage then patching it into the VCA with audio going through to give a faux sidechain effect. Who needs a dedicated compressor module.
  • Patching a heavily attenuated envelope into the FM of an oscillator to make a sequenced pitch bend, it can be tricky to get the bend to be in tune but it sounds cool.
  • When FMing one oscillator with another, I put the oscillator through a VCA then into the FM slot of another Oscillator, then a short envelope into the VCA cv to get cool percussive sounds.

All of a sudden I can't get enough of envelopes. If I had infinite envelopes/clock divided triggers/attenuators then I'd slightly modulate every cv input in a voice into a crazy rhythmic voice but that would be many more modules than I have.
Run an envelope into a quantizer to make arpeggios.
Last edited by electricanada on Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

SunPulse
Common Wiggler

Post by SunPulse » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Patching a gate through a slew limiter gives you an AR envelope
Instagram: sunpulse.ay

Return to “Eurorack Modules”