Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Bartelby » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:16 am

My discovery today is how small things can cause issues. Over the last few weeks I've been having trouble with my o_C. Sometimes it works fine, other times it sends no outputs. But it's been getting progressively worse.
Today I finally got around to remembering to have a lot at it, so I take it out of the rack. As I'm moving it something falls into the bottom of the case, I then notice the little clip on the power header is missing, and the same on the bus end. I swap the cable for a new one and everything works fine.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 pm

I've discovered that DIY electronics is a great way to fend off the pandemic quarantine blues. With projects on my bench, I'm never bored.
We've moved fast, we need love; a part we offer is our only freedom

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 pm
I've discovered that DIY electronics is a great way to fend off the pandemic quarantine blues. With projects on my bench, I'm never bored.
Is DIY the ultimate form of wanking
Or is wanking the ultimate form of DIY ?

:sstorm: :miley: :miley: :miley:
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:53 pm

only if you mess it up.
gentle_attack wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 pm
Is DIY the ultimate form of wanking
Or is wanking the ultimate form of DIY ?

:sstorm: :miley: :miley: :miley:
Last edited by StrangeAttraction on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:00 pm

duplicate

Teusa Rass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Teusa Rass » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:09 pm

that in my dust collecting collection of Casio toy keyboards I have the
CASIO GZ-5 so called midi master keyboard: definitly no musical instrument,
nor a master keyboard,
but it has a DIN MIDI out
and a sliding switch, ranging from C1 to C6.
Alas, the perfect tool for calibrating and tuning my VCOs.
Simply switching between MIDI OUT and internal mode, tuning by ears.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Today I discovered a patch that has the Fragment output on a Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator running Brains in a feedback loop, and some other cross-modulation stuff going on with a couple of uBermudas, and... there's delay happening. Echo and delay. But there's no delay. And I'm just going to yank that sucker apart without documenting it because some things aren't meant to be known. I don't :agonizer: with dark magicks.
:party:

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 am

Today my small discovery was ...

1) pinged filters
Explored the different results of sending a small pulse to a filter which is close to self-oscillation. The pulse can either patched to the filter input or to the filter CV (frequency) - sound is different. It's interesting to use different cutoff frequency and different grades of self-oscillation.

2) using a delay as a polyrhythmic effect
From a sequencer a simple pattern is patched to a delay. The TAP input is also driven by a track of the sequencer, in the way that the delay time is changed along the patterns. With different patterns the delay falling out of rhythm in different manner - so it generates interesting additional (polyrhythmic) patterns. For some more chaos you can add a CV (also from the sequencer) to the TIME CV (if available)...

patch 'n roll

8-)
red

c4mr0n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by c4mr0n » Sun May 03, 2020 12:31 am

I learned something today that was merely a hunch a few days ago......

How amazingly awesome Pittsburgh Modular gear is!!

Sweetwater finally delivered my Double Helix Osc, Primary Osc, and Micro Sequencer. All I can say is wow. The Micro Sequencer is incredibly straightforward compared my Rene V2, almost to the point of me wanting to sell it to replace it for a couple more Micro Sequencers.

I am pretty much amazed at the sounds I'm getting out of the Double Helix. Soooo gritty and nasty, all the may to lush and beautiful. All the features crammed in to this module make me feel dumb for not getting it sooner. I love that it has a LPG/Filter built in. It has pretty much turned me into a Pittsburgh Modular fanboy :help:. To think that I was gonna try and stick with Make Noise :doh:. Modular is such a journey. You think your going to go this way, then you get something new and next thing you know your headed in a totally different direction. So much fun, especially during all this quarantine BS.

I haven't played with the Primary Oscillator that much yet, but I'm sure it will amaze me just as much as the the other two. I love the sound of PGH's blade wave. It sounds sooo nasty going through a Polivoks filter. It gives the filter so much to bite on too.

Once I get a bigger case I'm going to start grabbing up as much Pittsburgh gear as I can get my hands. Their Phase Shifter module is really intriguing me atm. I definently want to pick up their Mod Tools, Dynamic Impulse Filter, and Binary Filter, though the latter seems rather difficult to locate. Their Cascading Delay Network and Mixing Console are also on my list once they release them. I basically want to put together an all PGH case because of how awesome their gear I've checked out so far is. My bank account is gonna be pissed..

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 am

You can get almost any sound from a Phonogene & similar, ... surely from any module that can record and process sound (granular synth, tape simulator,, etc). Very funny !!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed May 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Zorlon Cannon running somewhere in the range of 2 o'clock in red mode, up to about 10 o'lock in orange mode, is nice fodder for something that multiplies its rate -- like Sync3, or 3 Stages clocked LFOs in series at max multiplier rate, or whatever. Rhythm and pitch will be related in the glitchy patterns that result.

It's particularly awesome with Mimeophon. Zone 0, repeats fully CW, rate fully CCW, color and Halo to taste. One Zorlon output into the clock input, others optionally into Flip, u, Zone.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 am

Small patching discovery of how you can get a lot of melodic variation with just two knobs: Mix two CV sequences (for example in channels 2 and 3 of Maths), and send the result via a quantizer to pitch in of an oscillator. One sequence is mildly varying, while the other has more voltage outliers. The two attenuators (or attenuverters) allow you to change how much voltage of each is going through the quantizer. This will give you control over the melody in a very musical way that is both fairly predictable and varied.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri May 08, 2020 3:02 pm

Today I learned once again to turn on the PSU every time I bolt a module into a case and check the PSU.
So, I re-did a rack today.
Pittsburgh EP-360 with 53 modules, mostly drum and triggering stuff.
I got it totally together and only then plugged it in.
I could see the PSU folding back, so oh no a short.
I knew I had to pull the modules one at a time until the case worked.
I pulled out the first module, Grids, and it worked.
First module !!
It was touching the aluminum side rails and shorting to ground
The rack in question
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Fri May 08, 2020 4:22 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:02 pm
It was touching the aluminum side rails and shorting to ground
The rack in question
how is this happening? I'm not really getting the electrical engineering here haha
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Oh, I ran ground wires to the metal rack frame and the PSU.
Then this goes to a spotwelder quick connect on the outside of the case so I can ground several cases together.
I'm not sure that this made much difference but at least the cases are grounded together very well, even before any patch cables.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Fri May 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Today (these last few months) my (large) discovery was... building your own case is a much bigger and much more expensive endeavor than one might anticipate.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 pm

A different sort of discovery: the realization that Zorlon Cannon pulls in patch cables toward itself like a black hole. There are 10 outputs plus the two clock and two CV inputs and the seed trigger, and I rarely have less than 7 cables plugged in...

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 pm

I have become very dependent on my oscilloscope. I often imagine something entirely different is happening than what my oscilloscope shows me. Listening is still the most important thing, but visualization is also pretty important.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 am

making wavetable WAV files from scratch

DeepDarkSpace
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DeepDarkSpace » Sat May 09, 2020 3:49 pm

I have been looking for a clock module for a couple weeks and narrowed it down to a couple modules. I was doing some patching into my Mordax Data, and discovered that it has four clocks with clock division, multiplication and offset. I got so used to using the Data for a couple of applications that I overlooked the clocking feature. I am quite happy with how it works and saved myself some money and rack space.

pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros » Sun May 17, 2020 12:06 am

My impatience only further delays gratification.

Was working on a kit build, encountered a less-than-abundantly-clear silkscreen and assembly doc. Decided to quickly check polarity of a 3mm LED for proper orientation by sticking it, resistorless, on a 9V battery within reach. Poof. Lesson learned, replacement LED (and many spares) ordered. Build to resume ... later :doh:

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 am

By happy accident in the last rerack, I have a Ripples to the left of Timo-Yusynth Steiner Parker filter. Since Ripples has 4 outs and the Steiner Parker has 3 ins with mixing, I've found that 3 short cables makes an insanely good sound, as long as the Res on the steiner isn't too high. Lots of control.

I've also got a G-storm 2xADSR giving me env and rev env for the res on each filter. I've got v/oct tracking going into each as well.

I built 2 ripples early on hoping to get some hot filter into filter action, but they never work well together. With the mixing on Steiner Parker though, it really clicks.

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Post by unclebastard » Sun May 17, 2020 2:53 pm

KittenVillage wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 am
By happy accident in the last rerack, I have a Ripples to the left of Timo-Yusynth Steiner Parker filter. Since Ripples has 4 outs and the Steiner Parker has 3 ins with mixing, I've found that 3 short cables makes an insanely good sound, as long as the Res on the steiner isn't too high. Lots of control.

I've also got a G-storm 2xADSR giving me env and rev env for the res on each filter. I've got v/oct tracking going into each as well.

I built 2 ripples early on hoping to get some hot filter into filter action, but they never work well together. With the mixing on Steiner Parker though, it really clicks.

That makes me wonder what I could hear if I patched three of the Ripples outs into Maths 1/2/3, something from the Octocontroller into 4 and took the Sum out to my output...*strokes chin*
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 am

Well, not a small discovery, really, more like a massive one.

Harmonic Series.

How I have managed to skirt around the harmonic series all these years, in terms of sound design, both amazes and disappoints me.

lowpassfilter24
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by lowpassfilter24 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Futuresound wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:03 pm
Today my small discovery was that I thought I was really into microtonal, until I got a quantizer.
I know that I'm 4 years late to the party...but this is funny as hell :hihi: :hihi:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”