Today my small discovery was...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Today my small discovery was...

Post by Aaronautical001 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 am
Well, not a small discovery, really, more like a massive one.

Harmonic Series.

How I have managed to skirt around the harmonic series all these years, in terms of sound design, both amazes and disappoints me.
Can you say more about this please? Yesterday I was reading a piece on the art of production with the artist rrose where this was mentioned also. I have a strong suspicion I’m missing a lot of key concepts from Just Friends. Not to mention I only found out that Just Friends is a famous jazz piece :doh:

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Wed May 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Aaronautical001 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm
synkrotron wrote:

Harmonic Series.

How I have managed to skirt around the harmonic series all these years, in terms of sound design, both amazes and disappoints me.
Can you say more about this please? Yesterday I was reading a piece on the art of production with the artist rrose where this was mentioned also. I have a strong suspicion I’m missing a lot of key concepts from Just Friends. Not to mention I only found out that Just Friends is a famous jazz piece :doh:
this is all you need to know about harmonic series:

also, my discovery - youtube has dark mode!

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:21 pm
Aaronautical001 wrote:
synkrotron wrote:

Harmonic Series.

this is all you need to know about harmonic series:

also, my discovery - youtube has dark mode!
Bloody hell, I love that track and didn’t know anything about a link to the harmonic series! Even found a link to how to patch it on the RYO website. I have much to learn! Thanks for opening my mind :tu:

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Wed May 20, 2020 5:25 pm

the day i learned how to make that patch was wheni9 still owned a _big_ blue bugrand system and sat and played with it for so many hrs straight - fond memories so many years later... : )

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 21, 2020 4:45 am

Aaronautical001 wrote:
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply... It was my 60th yesterday and didn't have much time :mrgreen:

I started this topic on the Harmonic Series in the Synthesis Techniques forum. There is some interesting stuff over there already, I think:-

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=231985

cheers

andy

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm

synkrotron wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:45 am
Aaronautical001 wrote:
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply... It was my 60th yesterday and didn't have much time :mrgreen:

I started this topic on the Harmonic Series in the Synthesis Techniques forum. There is some interesting stuff over there already, I think:-

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=231985

cheers

andy
Happy birthday! Thanks for the link :tu:

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Aaronautical001 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm
Happy birthday!
Thank you :mrgreen:
Thanks for the link :tu:
You're welcome. I hope you find something useful there :)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 pm

Two crossfaders with 3 audio-rate signals, combined differently, in stereo into a reverb make nice drone fodder. (e.g. signal A and B crossfed by signal C on the left, signal B and C crossfed by signal A on the right.)

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Sun May 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Very in hindsight quite obvious, but hadn’t thought about it before: Using a Tetrapad chord output and split it over the A-155 inputs, then use clock and reset after 4 steps to make an Arp over a chord.

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 pm

You can "create" a 4 step sequencer with a clock divider and a double attenuverter+mixer, patched my falistri and 321 and created a primitive step sequencer like that today. Big limitations but it was fun to try
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Polyterative wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 pm
You can "create" a 4 step sequencer with a clock divider and a double attenuverter+mixer, patched my falistri and 321 and created a primitive step sequencer like that today. Big limitations but it was fun to try
Next try four square wave LFOs into a mixer as a sequencer
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Placid Mouse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Placid Mouse » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:26 pm

I need two WMD Sl3kt switches so I can manually flip between pre-programmed midi pitch and gate sequences and those from my metropolis in order to route the sequences to three separate voices.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:28 am

electricanada wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm
Polyterative wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 pm
Next try four square wave LFOs into a mixer as a sequencer
If you have a Batumi you can even relate the frequencies of the LFO in nice rhythmic intervals (although it may be more fun to let them run free).

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Angle Grinder is a great choice for a delay feedback loop filter.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:04 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm
why do you think that is? does its unique distortion lead to interesting limiting effects on the signal as the feedback builds up or what?

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:19 pm

... that while i've had certain modules "flipped" upside down in my rack for months now (to move jacks -vs- pots, etc), I will never, *ever* remember that mounting them upside down doesn't somehow magically invert all the pot directions as well and thus will spend the first few seconds of patching being very confused as to why all the pots are working 'backwards'.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:30 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:04 pm
starthief wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm
why do you think that is? does its unique distortion lead to interesting limiting effects on the signal as the feedback builds up or what?
Yep! The distortion can get noisy but doesn't feel like it goes too far out of bounds, at least in the patch I was using it in.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:38 am

AbundantChoice wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:19 pm
... that while i've had certain modules "flipped" upside down in my rack for months now (to move jacks -vs- pots, etc), I will never, *ever* remember that mounting them upside down doesn't somehow magically invert all the pot directions as well and thus will spend the first few seconds of patching being very confused as to why all the pots are working 'backwards'.
What? The pots work the same way as before, as long as you place the knobs correctly. Is that what you're saying?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:23 am

AbundantChoice wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:19 pm
🤔

clockwise is still clockwise

paoling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by paoling » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:20 am

A telephone pickup coil into Ears makes for an incredible drone when you go around scouting through your modular system. A few digital modules with a screen (like Maze) can be a source of little melodies. This, with the Rossum Panharmonium can provide a nice melody that can be tuned with the rest of your modular patch.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:38 am
What? The pots work the same way as before, as long as you place the knobs correctly. Is that what you're saying?
They still rotate the same way, obviously, but "positionally" or for a particular setting the L/R is flipped from the more usual "left is low, right is high" mentality. So like if you had a pot that rotated clockwise from 7:00 to 5:00 to go from low-to-high, if you flip your module upside down, low is now on the "right" side of the pot and high is on the "left." So the pot set at, say, 9:00, is quite 'low' for a right-side-up module and quite 'high' for an upside-down module. You'd still rotate clockwise to raise the pot, but visually your reference points for the initial setting are flipped, and especially for pots that travel through an arc, it can be mentally counterintuitive to go from, say 3PM to 9PM "around the bottom" instead of going from 9PM to 3PM "over the top" (even though they're both clockwise moves) and have that be an increase. Maybe it's just the way i'm visually wired.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 am
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:38 am
They still rotate the same way, obviously, but "positionally" or for a particular setting the L/R is flipped from the more usual "left is low, right is high" mentality. So like if you had a pot that rotated clockwise from 7:00 to 5:00 to go from low-to-high, if you flip your module upside down, low is now on the "right" side of the pot and high is on the "left." So the pot set at, say, 9:00, is quite 'low' for a right-side-up module and quite 'high' for an upside-down module. You'd still rotate clockwise to raise the pot, but visually your reference points for the initial setting are flipped, and especially for pots that travel through an arc, it can be mentally counterintuitive to go from, say 3PM to 9PM "around the bottom" instead of going from 9PM to 3PM "over the top" (even though they're both clockwise moves) and have that be an increase. Maybe it's just the way i'm visually wired.
Yeah, but you can just take the pot off and put it back on in the "correct" position. I beleive this is what Paranormal Patroller was getting at.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Exactly. In most occasions you can reapply the knob so that it points at 12, and then 7 to 5 will, once again, be min to max.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:26 pm
Exactly. In most occasions you can reapply the knob so that it points at 12, and then 7 to 5 will, once again, be min to max.
Hahahahaha... of course! You'd think I would have thought of that; i've even swapped out pots on a few modules. I have no idea why it never occurred to me to just adjust the pot. Well, I know what i'm doing after dinner tonight.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:46 pm

For people with a bit more electronic knowledge, this is likely an obvious thing, but:
Today I discovered that it does indeed matter what way I go through a passive attenuator. I was sure that input and output are swappable, and to some extent they are. Only, the curve of the potmeter is all wrong, if you go the wrong way.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”