help deciding modulation sources for small system

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sleepyengine
Learning to Wiggle

help deciding modulation sources for small system

Post by sleepyengine » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:10 pm

hello, i'm filling out a make noise skiff as my first rig, and am a little unsure about the direction to take when it comes to modulation.

i already have the maths, dpo, optomix, and three sisters, and am pretty sure that i'd like to pick up a teleharmonic in the future. that leaves me with 24hp that i'd like to use to maximize my modulation capabilities. i've posted two possibilities that i'm thinking of below. another alternative is to swap out the quadra for a malekko ad/lfo. any thoughts?

or

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:22 pm

you could also look at ufade as a compromise between uvca and blinds - if you got an intellijel inverter instead of um you could use ufade like a ringmod too (or just get a umod)

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:24 pm

I'd go with the wogglebug and Maths. Together that's a crazy amount of modulation is relative few HP.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

glitch experiment

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:38 pm

I'd recommend a wogglebug and a mi peaks. Peaks can do an insane number of useful things with Dead Mans Catch.

enj_music
Veteran Wiggler

Post by enj_music » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Why the whopping 48HP dedicated to oscillators? A little overboard in a 3U that's trying to be flexible, imo

sleepyengine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sleepyengine » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:50 pm

enj_music wrote:Why the whopping 48HP dedicated to oscillators? A little overboard in a 3U that's trying to be flexible, imo
i'm bailing on the dixie, which gets it down to 42hp. still a lot, but i like the idea of having two very different voices, and i see expansion beyond this skiff in the future anyways.

i really like the wogglebug, but that would leave the maths as my sole source of envelope generation, is that enough?

mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:11 pm

My go-to modulation source for a small system is hands down the Flame C-3 knob recorder. You get three user definable LFOs in 6hp. You draw your own wave shapes by recording the movements of the knobs.
For the size and functionality it can't be beat.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:46 pm

Ultra random analog and sport modulated would be amazing additions to maths if you want to spend all that hp on modulation. Sport mod in lfo mode gives fm options for your DPO. But as much as I love modulation, you might be better off saving some of that 24 hp for something in addition to another modulator.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:00 am

mhtones wrote:Ultra random analog
I can only second that, I dropped my woggle in favour of an URA and wonder how I could live without this beauty...( My humble opinion of course, some will prefer woggle over URA...)

If you're not in a hurry you can have a look at the almighty, long awaited, never released macro machine omnimod...Some of us still hope to see this coming before man gets to mars... :hail:
Sig !

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:17 am

Cold mac - i have 4 of the the right column patched to the CV ins on Loquelic iteritas and CV into Survey AND fade and the Cold Mac middle pot to sweep through as well and it sounds incredible...amazing module - with all that going on i still have a couple of CV sources from CM available (location, follow, crease) and i can still use it as a 6:1 mixer - all at once
look up!

kirklandish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kirklandish » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 am

My picks for a small system would be Batumi (4 LFOs in 10hp), Peaks (everything in 8 hp, killer LFOs), Nano Rand (lots of random in 4 hp), and/or Quadra (4 function generators in 12 hp).

Maths is also super useful, but I opted to more or less have all its functionality in separate modules (envelopes, attenuverters, slew, logic, etc.). For a system of your size it is a very compelling option.

In my 6U/84 hp system I kept the Batumi, Nano Rand, and Quadra with Expander. I sold Peaks, Function, and Intellijel 2x ADSR. Also Kinks and Links have really extended my modulation capacity, with the logic and mixing functions.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:32 am

sleepyengine, it sounds like you’re open to growing your system long-term (beyond the skiff), so it might behoove you to choose modules you’re likely to keep long-term, as opposed to choosing them simply because they’ll fit into your small case now.

NB: Wogglebug will work specially well with Maths, DPO and Telharmonic, what with the mixing bus on Maths and all the attenuverters Make Noise thoughtfully includes on their modules.

enj_music
Veteran Wiggler

Post by enj_music » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:56 am

Dogma wrote:Cold mac - i have 4 of the the right column patched to the CV ins on Loquelic iteritas and CV into Survey AND fade and the Cold Mac middle pot to sweep through as well and it sounds incredible...amazing module - with all that going on i still have a couple of CV sources from CM available (location, follow, crease) and i can still use it as a 6:1 mixer - all at once
I'm curious as to how you're doing this. If I have 6 audio sources plugged in on the left side, the right side will no longer be related to the knob, but will instead be the transfer functions mapped to the input audio signals.

sleepyengine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sleepyengine » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 pm

thanks for all the input! though now i'm torn between a completely new set of options

vox_barbara
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vox_barbara » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:08 am

enj_music wrote:
Dogma wrote:Cold mac - i have 4 of the the right column patched to the CV ins on Loquelic iteritas and CV into Survey AND fade and the Cold Mac middle pot to sweep through as well and it sounds incredible...amazing module - with all that going on i still have a couple of CV sources from CM available (location, follow, crease) and i can still use it as a 6:1 mixer - all at once
I'm curious as to how you're doing this. If I have 6 audio sources plugged in on the left side, the right side will no longer be related to the knob, but will instead be the transfer functions mapped to the input audio signals.
Bump! I would also like to hear @Dogma 's answer to this question!

omiindustriies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by omiindustriies » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:59 pm

another vote for batumi in your little setup

stripes
Common Wiggler

Post by stripes » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:41 pm

i say batumi as well. especially with the new firmware random waveform mode. batumi will never leave my rack... it's in every patch.

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Batumi would be useful.

Quadra is superb, but the common refrain is true: you'll want the expander as soon as you plug it in.

Pip Slope might be of interest.

MindKind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MindKind » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:07 pm

For a small system my choice would be the ADE-32 octocontroller

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:14 pm

when I had a smallish 150hp suitcase I did found URA + brainseed a very+very lovely pair.
also a soundmachines LS-1 is not bad for a small system (touch-control, LFO, ext.gate sync).
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

esko997
Common Wiggler

Post by esko997 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:51 pm

Maybe consider STO instead of DPO to save space in a smaller system?

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Batumi.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Re: help deciding modulation sources for small system

Post by 1n » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 am

Another undecided soul...

Will someone who's used both Stages and Octocontroller help me decide between these two? I'm 'upgrading' from Noise Reap Loafers, the excellent quad LFO, and I want to control Bitbox Micro and Ornament and Crime and modulate Beads.

I'm more interested in hands-on usability than range of functions - although it's nice to have options.

I tried Pam's New Workout a while back and it wasn't for me.

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 am

1n wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 am
Another undecided soul...
Psssst... this thread is nearly five years old ;)

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 am

Psssst... this thread is nearly five years old ;)
:zombie: better than duplicating subjects though

and Octocontroller is even older :mrgreen:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”