Rossum Control Forge and Satellite

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

l e b e r
Veteran Wiggler

Post by l e b e r » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 am

borris_yeltzun wrote:wish

1. Custom user Shapes + shape editor

2. A Generative mode ( more practical randomization based on user variables)
-similar to the vince clarke imaginator module or nord G2 modular randomise

users should be able to select which shapes they want to randomize with, and remove unwanted ones, likewise with clock step lengths, voltage range and quantised notes.
[scale of quantised notes should be changable]
users should be able to randomize multiple steps@ once; this would be good if you already like the start of a sequence but not the rest- one step @ a time is a pain in the ass.
+ any bar length - the imaginator was 1 bar... thats it.
YES and YES!!!!

I would love these features... 100%

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been here for a while. (Muff's post notification doesn't seem to be very reliable these days.)

Honestly, we've been heavily into working on new stuff for a while, so Control Forge has been on the back burner, but we'll be coming back around to it, at which point we'll be reviewing the various feature requests here (and elsewhere). So thanks for those. (But as always, no promises.) In the meantime, I'll make a point of checking in more regularly, if you have any questions.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm

boom blip wrote:Anyone have issues with their buttons sticking on the control forge? I got one second hand and noticed one button would occasionally stick, but wasn't really bad enough to worry about, stuck it in storage and now playing it again half of the bottom row of buttons sticks sometimes on mine.
We've seen a few instances of buttons sticking as a result of subtle burrs on the back side edge of the button holes. If you feel confident removing the knobs and jacks and taking the panel off, try using a file (or really, any sharp edged metal object) to smooth the inside edge of the hole. That should solve the problem.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Hey, I just realize that I can use the Control Forge to monitor the CV signals!

since I don't have any oscilloscope, that's valuable!

Would it be feasible to incorporate a dedicated view? e.g. a mode to display the levels in full-screen, maybe even drawing the actual shape over time?

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 pm

paranormind wrote:Hey, I just realize that I can use the Control Forge to monitor the CV signals!

since I don't have any oscilloscope, that's valuable!

Would it be feasible to incorporate a dedicated view? e.g. a mode to display the levels in full-screen, maybe even drawing the actual shape over time?
I want this too
I AM THAT I AM

SotoX3
Learning to Wiggle

Sequencer to Sequencer

Post by SotoX3 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am

I would like sync up with the "sequencer" that runs my drums the NE Numeric Repetitor. My clock is the 4ms QCD so I sort of have a problem with using tempo mode with CF since I don't have the ability to dial in a bpm with the qcd.

If I want to do is make a simple 4 on the floor beat I find that more difficult. How are you all getting your other sequencers to play with the CF?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequencer to Sequencer

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

SotoX3 wrote:I would like sync up with the "sequencer" that runs my drums the NE Numeric Repetitor. My clock is the 4ms QCD so I sort of have a problem with using tempo mode with CF since I don't have the ability to dial in a bpm with the qcd.

If I want to do is make a simple 4 on the floor beat I find that more difficult. How are you all getting your other sequencers to play with the CF?
Not sure you have any recourse other than sending a reset (“hard sync”) to Control Forge. Control Forge lives in its own world.

obmuc
Learning to Wiggle

velocity CV for a single stage?

Post by obmuc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Have read the manual and this thread, and I *think* I know the answer, but want to confirm: is it correct that there's no way to take a CV from the CV1 or CV2 input and apply it to a single stage's time or level?

My first thought - creating a simple AR envelope - was that i'd take a velocity CV and apply it to a 'release' stage's time... but it seems CV1 and CV2 aren't usable that way? They're really more for pass through or logic comparison?

There's other ways to do this, I know: can jump to a longer stage based on input velocity, for example. And of course there's the time scale CV - though that affects all stages.

Just hoping i'm doing something dumb :hmm:

Great module, btw.

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Wed May 29, 2019 7:37 pm

quick question—what are the units of time the control forge is reverting to by default? 0.0001 s is 1/10th of a millisecond—so does that mean that we can define segment lengths down to 1/10th of a ms? nanoseconds are 1-e6 seconds so it's not nano... just kinda throwing me off when i glance at the length of a segment in fractions of a second and see .3334s —the fact that I see 4 numbers behind the decimal point at a glance throws me off to think it's 3334ms when — it's really 333.4 ms... right?

I'm aware that segment times can be entirely relative—just trying to wrap my head around this (seemingly basic) issue.

borris_yeltzun
Common Wiggler

Post by borris_yeltzun » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm

@Marco Alpert it's been 6 months since you last posted here talking about a potential update and it's been 2 years since your last update. :deadbanana:

is anything in the works ?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 am

i think they're all on holiday, coming up with ideas for new modules

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:45 am

I would not get my hopes up for an update ever, maybe just accept and enjoy the module as it is, sure I would love an update too tho :sad:

phenomenabureau
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phenomenabureau » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 pm

a word beyond the pure functions of the forge: interacting with this module can be the nicest thing. it's a struggle to gain its trust and respect, but that trust feels so luscious....
~~swirls away~~

richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:37 am

Looks like all the development is with the Assimil8or v2 at the moment hope the devs get to the forge next!

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 am

richie wrote:Looks like all the development is with the Assimil8or v2 at the moment hope the devs get to the forge next!
V2 ? Or software development for V1?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am

software update for Assimil8or

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Hey guys I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly pipe the update file into my Control Forge. I was using my laptop but it just says unexpected end on the CF.

What did you guys use to send the file?

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Bogus wrote:Hey guys I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly pipe the update file into my Control Forge. I was using my laptop but it just says unexpected end on the CF.

What did you guys use to send the file?
Hello. The one time I tried it, the update just worked. I used my old MacBook Pro as the player. Probably I played the file with Quicktime.

In case you didn't already, read the "Hints for Playing Back WAV Files" section in the Control Forge manual.

seuil974
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seuil974 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:47 am

is anyone selling a control forge on the forum ?
thx in advance

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by kxx303 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:11 am

richie wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:37 am
Looks like all the development is with the Assimil8or v2 at the moment hope the devs get to the forge next!
Assimil8or 2.0 is out now. Who knows maybe it is CF’s turn to get new features soon?
BC / MG / IG / YT

Misk
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Control Forge and Satellite

Post by Misk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 am

ive been experimenting with control forge a lot and I came up with something kinda unique—

one of the trigger options is "Any Jump", which means that it'll only send out a trigger SPECIFICALLY ON A JUMP. If you combine that trigger out option with a free running sequence and specify only steps 2,4,6 and 8 to jump "always at end" (and then have them jump to the next step) but then define steps 1,3,5 and 7 to "Never" jump mode, then you're able to send out triggers on a per-step basis in that given sequence.

Since cf sends the trigger out on an actual jump as opposed to after the jump, you have to define your "always at end" jump to the step before you want the trigger to fire.

it's late and i'm neck deep in blinkin lights but this was a revelation to me and just thought i'd share!

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

just wonder: used as vco, how fast can it go?

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:33 pm

johannes wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm
just wonder: used as vco, how fast can it go?
That I found in the manual, no spec is given. In chapter 16, "Audio Rate Contours", it says

"Since Control Forge will operate well into the audio frequency range, it can be used as a wavetable audio source."

To me that seems pretty fast. :)

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:12 pm

i had a string of presets looped with every step set to 0 time except for two steps set to .0001 s — everything at 0V except for the two steps (out of approximately 56—7 looping patterns i think). The output frequency was def faster than the LEDs could keep up, but it was way beyond nyquist.

I was trying to test how many "0 time" steps you could jump through before there was even a slightly audible delay (for science)—it's a lot.. so rest assured you can cram at least 32 steps of conditional jump functions between each audible step, but sometimes at higher clock freqs they won't always evaluate properly.

Speaking of this thread... anyone at Rossum hear any news about any firmware updates?

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:47 am

thanks for the replies.

how do you enjoy the progrmamming of an complex envelope on the cf within the proecss of music making?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”