Omnimod - first post updated 19/10/17

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

hahaonlyserious
Common Wiggler

Post by hahaonlyserious » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 pm

nangu wrote:Sure you could. Buying a Malekko Varigate 4+ would give you access to 16 presets, and buying a Varigate 8+ would give you access to all 64 presets. And you'd end up with a really fun sequencer as a bonus.. 8-)
The only reason that's not *more* tempting is my desire for a second Omnimod. That, and I fear an avalanche of subsequent sequencers taking up 168hp and loosing a year to sequencer fetish :eek: vs. the particular grails that I am seeking.

However, if this thing speaks a protocol that allows presets to be set and recalled I should be exploring that directly --- is there actually a formal spec for this stuff? So far my search-fu yields a lot of high level stuff, but nothing definitive on a nuts and bolts level. Likely I'm missing something in terms of er... terminology. (I've been searching for information on CTRLSEL and Select Bus...)

This document looked promising, but I doubt all of this is happening over MIDI on the power bus... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YhP ... CP-qw/edit -- though if this is the case I can see where a large meta module could do some interesting soft routing. Maybe that's the behemoth in the photo.

Apparently presets in this medium don't matter much to me, but the idea of being able to sequence presets has me willing to get my hands dirty.

Thought I had my head wrapped around everything in Eurorack, but apparently the rabbit hole goes a bit deeper....
snoıɹǝsʎʃuoɐɥɐɥ

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:30 am

hahaonlyserious wrote:...if this thing speaks a protocol that allows presets to be set and recalled I should be exploring that directly --- is there actually a formal spec for this stuff?

(Snip)

This document looked promising, but I doubt all of this is happening over MIDI on the power bus... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YhP ... CP-qw/edit -- though if this is the case I can see where a large meta module could do some interesting soft routing. Maybe that's the behemoth in the photo.
Yep, it's MIDI over the power bus. I hadn't seen the doc that you found, but it certainly appears to be the droids we're looking for.

I half-remembered that the prototype Storage Strip V2 that I saw did something extra beyond just program changes, but couldn't remember exactly what. I was probably thinking of the Morph and Mutate features that are mentioned in that doc. Nice find!
Last edited by nangu on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 am

Section956 wrote:I snapped this photo at Knobcon 2016.
Wow- that's interesting! I was there, but neither Nico nor this skiff were at the booth any of the times that I went by. There was another skiff there (Nico posted pics of that one on his Facebook) so I just goofed around with Omnimod for awhile.

I'm not sure that any of this stuff is what I had seen a couple of years earlier. The thing with a screen might not have been quite this big, and the thing to the left of it kinda looks like it could be a Storage Strip variant that runs on incoming triggers. 8 patches plus bank up/down, mutate up/down, and then two outputs. Looks awesome- thanks for the pic!!

hahaonlyserious
Common Wiggler

Post by hahaonlyserious » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:19 pm

nangu wrote: Yep, it's MIDI over the power bus. I hadn't seen the doc that you found, but it certainly appears to be the droids we're looking for.

I half-remembered that the prototype Storage Strip V2 that I saw did something extra beyond just program changes, but couldn't remember exactly what. I was probably thinking of the Morph and Mutate features that are mentioned in that doc. Nice find!
I am pleasantly shocked, and really dig the notion of the spline-quantized-etch-a-sketch feel of the Omnimod UI applied to transitions of presets using a similar mechanisms in higher dimensions (cubes with presets at corners, interpolation between them). Seems like it would be damn fun to play.
snoıɹǝsʎʃuoɐɥɐɥ

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Anyone come up with a reliable way to preserve gate length and essentially make a really complex ADSR?

Have been playing around with one channel on trigger do the AD and another on phase doing the SR, but still can't get it completely dialled in (biggest problem has been dialing in the input on the phase channel so the voltage output on that channel doesn't interfere with the ATTACK or DECAY portions on the triggered channel). Have tried slew limiting, latched logic, and quantized gate delays which have gotten me closer but to no avail.

Impetus was thinking perhaps I could make 2 WMD MME ADSR's with the four channels of the Omnimod.

Any ideas welcome :tu:

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 am

Hei.
Anyone is able to draw just a simple sine wave lfo?

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:58 am

tomtomtron wrote:Hei.
Anyone is able to draw just a simple sine wave lfo?
If you power on the module holding down the left encoder it will bring you to some testing screens. If you go through the testing screens it will give you an option to delete the previous saved states which only really delete channel one (at least in my experience). After that power off and restart the module as normal and the default state is a sine wave that you can make as slow or fast as you like.
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:58 am

Heres my first excursions - a long story short - its ace
fwiw - i got the wrong cable also.

revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:57 pm

mudlogger wrote:Heres my first excursions - a long story short - its ace
fwiw - i got the wrong cable also.

fantastic demos 8-)

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 am

short Q.
will it save the current status on all 4 ch.when you power off ?

fwiw - i got the wrong cable also
me to :cry:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 am

wanne wrote:short Q.
will it save the current status on all 4 ch.when you power off
Yes! :nana:

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:28 pm

is or will it be possible to copy between ch. ??

this is so fkn freaky :deadbanana:

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm

somebody finally deleted a channel? :hmm:

so many questions - no answer

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm

tomtomtron wrote:somebody finally deleted a channel? :hmm:

i would say there is big need for a bigger manual :hail: :yay: :help:

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:43 pm

wanne wrote:
tomtomtron wrote:somebody finally deleted a channel? :hmm:

i would say there is big need for a bigger manual :hail: :yay: :help:
DEFINITELY!

please WMD or MicroMachines do this for us

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Any news on EU retailers planning to stock this?

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:33 pm

I scored a Varigate 8 in a trade today, and hooked it up on the same bus board as Omni. Preset saving and switching seems to be working quite well, but the tempo settings on the Omni is all over the place after a while (using it in trigger mode). Anyone else noticed this? The BPM settings keep changing when you change presets on the V8.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:41 pm

jameswalk wrote:Any news on EU retailers planning to stock this?
schneider's had them up for preorder for a long long time..

i think the whole first run is sold out.. no idea if there will be another run.

a while back Nico said he had around 20 of them available after some refunds and unsold modules.. but i'm guessing they've all been sold by now.. perhaps that was the bunch that was up on reverb for a while?

again.. no one really has any info there unless WMD chimes in about another run.

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

ignatius wrote:
jameswalk wrote:Any news on EU retailers planning to stock this?
schneider's had them up for preorder for a long long time..

i think the whole first run is sold out.. no idea if there will be another run.

a while back Nico said he had around 20 of them available after some refunds and unsold modules.. but i'm guessing they've all been sold by now.. perhaps that was the bunch that was up on reverb for a while?

again.. no one really has any info there unless WMD chimes in about another run.
i dropped schneiders a mail at the first january week 2018
the got 10 pieces -8 are reserved for preorders - i grabbed one of the other 2 (didnt except beeing so lucky to get one) and i think the last one is also gone

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Shame. If anyone's interested in a sale, I'm your man.

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 pm

double post
Last edited by jameswalk on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Daisuk wrote:but the tempo settings on the Omni is all over the place after a while (using it in trigger mode). Anyone else noticed this?
i believe input above threshold works as a clock for that channel in tempo mode - maybe it still makes the calculation in trigger mode?

i’m loving audio rate in hertz mode especially with a mangrove - adjusting the vca and waveshape. Very Mk1 Harvestman sounding.

pressing buttons 2, 3 and 4 together was the biggest help for me - showing what everything means should be the default setting.

bi-polar lfo’s for scanning the envelope pendulum style i like to.

also cross patching on itself like recommended in the manual - multi’ing the output of one channel (tempo mode) to effect the 3 others (in Phase Mode) is very handy.

its ace with a delay - especially with the DLD

i upped one instagram clip to youtube

[video][/video]

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Looks superb mudlogger!

Hope another run happens soon

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 pm

lud wrote:Looks superb mudlogger!

Hope another run happens soon
you can get hold of them in the states and on reverb.
Detroit Modular have been very good shipping stuff to me in Thailand.

http://www.detroitmodular.com/macro-mac ... nimod.html

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 am

It's sold out now on Reverb, I think I was one of the last ones to grab it... I had it delivered to my colleague's office in LA in order to avoid the customs but at the moment it seems that the package is nowhere to be seen... :eek:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”