Omnimod - first post updated 19/10/17

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:25 am

mudlogger wrote:
Daisuk wrote:but the tempo settings on the Omni is all over the place after a while (using it in trigger mode). Anyone else noticed this?
also cross patching on itself like recommended in the manual - multi’ing the output of one channel (tempo mode) to effect the 3 others (in Phase Mode) is very handy.
you are kidding about there being a manual, right???? :bang:

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 am

gnome666 wrote:
mudlogger wrote:
Daisuk wrote:but the tempo settings on the Omni is all over the place after a while (using it in trigger mode). Anyone else noticed this?
also cross patching on itself like recommended in the manual - multi’ing the output of one channel (tempo mode) to effect the 3 others (in Phase Mode) is very handy.
never mind.... found the google docs link..... :bang:

though i'm not sure its any different than not having a manual :confused:

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am

gnome666 wrote: never mind.... found the google docs link..... :bang:

:yay: :yay:

my guess is that the module really needs a fw update to fill up the actual "manual" :doh:

i dont think its possible at the moment to even clear a channel :hmm:

so all the good things aside...there is some room for improvements

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 am

gnome666 wrote:
gnome666 wrote:
mudlogger wrote:
never mind.... found the google docs link..... :bang:

press buttons 2 3 and 4 together - it helps a little to see what you are doing in the draw envelopes mode bit

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 am

wanne wrote:
gnome666 wrote: i dont think its possible at the moment to even clear a channel :hmm:
This is from a few pages back -> If you power on the module holding down the left encoder it will bring you to some testing screens. If you go through the testing screens it will give you an option to delete the previous saved states which only really delete channel one (at least in my experience). After that power off and restart the module as normal and the default state is a sine wave that you can make as slow or fast as you like.

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 am

so what happens then pressing buttons 2,3 and 4 together ?

for my its not working....!?

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 am

wanne wrote:so what happens then pressing buttons 2,3 and 4 together ?

for my its not working....!?
nothing here either...

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Ugh, there's clearly some bad karma around this module. I bought the module from Century Sound Labs last week, and I had it delivered to my colleague's office in Los Angeles. The tracking says that it was "delivered to front desk / reception area" on January 29, but apparently there wasn't any packages that day at all.

Is this normal for USPS? Might there be something wrong with the tracking system and it'd still be on it's way? What do you normally do in the US when stuff like this happens?

Help a European friend out, please! :cry:

tbecker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tbecker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:01 pm

fwheel wrote:Ugh, there's clearly some bad karma around this module. I bought the module from Century Sound Labs last week, and I had it delivered to my colleague's office in Los Angeles. The tracking says that it was "delivered to front desk / reception area" on January 29, but apparently there wasn't any packages that day at all.

Is this normal for USPS? Might there be something wrong with the tracking system and it'd still be on it's way? What do you normally do in the US when stuff like this happens?

In the US, USPS are looking locational functional, meaning they are federally funded but funded based on locational use and need. If you have been following our political issues than you might get a better understanding of why our systems may be failing in certain areas. The tracking system is not very good with USPS in the best of times. What we do, is wait for the mail or go to a post office and talk to really angry mail workers. Mailed modules should be priority and insured to the value with a signature confirmation, but that is up to the shipping party. All I can say is that WMD did a great job of shipping the direct orders via fedex here in the US. I can't speak for the shops that acted as second parties but your issue sounds like it is with the shop. Good luck!

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

tbecker wrote:
fwheel wrote:Ugh, there's clearly some bad karma around this module. I bought the module from Century Sound Labs last week, and I had it delivered to my colleague's office in Los Angeles. The tracking says that it was "delivered to front desk / reception area" on January 29, but apparently there wasn't any packages that day at all.

In the US, USPS are looking locational functional, meaning they are federally funded but funded based on locational use and need. If you have been following our political issues than you might get a better understanding of why our systems may be failing in certain areas. The tracking system is not very good with USPS in the best of times. What we do, is wait for the mail or go to a post office and talk to really angry mail workers. Mailed modules should be priority and insured to the value with a signature confirmation, but that is up to the shipping party. All I can say is that WMD did a great job of shipping the direct orders via fedex here in the US. I can't speak for the shops that acted as second parties but your issue sounds like it is with the shop. Good luck!
Thanks tbecker! UPS works really well over here, and considering the large volume of mail and packages that flows through the US I really imagined that the system would be fail proof... Oh well, let's see what happens.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:05 am

I'd try to track down who was working the front desk when it was delivered. I doubt this has anything to do with the USPS, political rants aside....

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Maybe try just paying for shipping to yourself instead of trying to cheat the system.
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Anyone figure out how to clear a channel?

tbecker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tbecker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 pm

auxren wrote:Anyone figure out how to clear a channel?
I mentioned this in my review / first post of having the unit. Auto saving all the time sucks. It sucks because your workflow is fed everytime you touch the encoder. Why this was a good idea is beyond me, maybe someone else can chime in. Because I have a storagestrip, I just load fresh presets every time I get autosaved on. The issue that you guys are having has nothing to do with clearing, it is the damn auto save!

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 am

I don't know if you can clear a Chanel and I guess it something that could be implemented in firmware.....there's a bunch of stuff that will I'm sure..
same with preset saving (I don't know but I don't see why not)

So are you guys enjoying it after all this time?

I love it. Nothing's perfect but for me this is pretty close as it simply sounds fantastic....it's a blast to play with and it just sounds incredible on filter cut offs, filter pinging, resonators........
look up!

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 am

its a great module but it definitely needs some work on the fw imo.

knipfie2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by knipfie2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Have it for a few days now and think I'm with Dogma.
The curves and the combinations with filters, wavestable-oscs and other stuff are just awesome, waited for a module like this for about 7 years :nana:

But as mentioned there are also these downsides like not being able to save presets (besides the default) nor to copy/clear curves which is kind of a bummer. Hope that the firmware will get updated but was reading that something happenend to Nico? Wasn't able to follow the whole thread but hope he's fine and will give us future fw-updates - or at least make it open source....

Besides these flaws it's an AWESOME module, had already a lot of fun with it.

And I noticed that if you don't activate the dividers between two breakpoints then the curve-form that is selectable/tweakable depends on the curveform you've selected with divisions turned on (and probably also choosing a pattern will influence the selectable shape when switching back to no divisions). I just mention it because I tried to built the patch from the manual and wasn't able to get a straight ramp, even with tweaking Bezier- and distortion-options. But after using more dividers, then selecting other patterns/shapes and then switching back to no dividers this gave me the ramp.

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 am

hello,

here a little video of a strange behaviour. channle 3 and 4 have no Startpoint (i dont know the correct name of the point from where you can draw the line/curves)

im missing something? let me pls know that you guys has the same layout on channel 3+4 :confused:

[video][/video]

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am

Are 3 and 4 in hertz mode? If so try changing to one of the other modes. Worked for me with a similar problem on channel 4

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 am

T. Jervell wrote:Are 3 and 4 in hertz mode? If so try changing to one of the other modes. Worked for me with a similar problem on channel 4
THANK YOU SIR :hail:

T. Jervell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by T. Jervell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 am

Happy to hear that it worked :tu:

okkoto
Common Wiggler

Post by okkoto » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

i just picked one up from Detroit Modular. seems like they have a good amount left because I'm familiar with their website and it usually lists "limited quantity" with low stock.

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pm

okkoto wrote:i just picked one up from Detroit Modular. seems like they have a good amount left because I'm familiar with their website and it usually lists "limited quantity" with low stock.
Thanks I followed your lead and placed an order. It seems like the manual is a little lacking, so a question to those who have had it for a while now.. what have you discovered that you think should have been documented properly in the manual? Any patch examples?

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:05 pm

jameswalk wrote:
okkoto wrote:i just picked one up from Detroit Modular. seems like they have a good amount left because I'm familiar with their website and it usually lists "limited quantity" with low stock.
Thanks I followed your lead and placed an order. It seems like the manual is a little lacking, so a question to those who have had it for a while now.. what have you discovered that you think should have been documented properly in the manual? Any patch examples?
MANUAL:
The input configuration screen needs some detail about it for sure. Although you can figure it out over time, the lack of documentation on it is frustrating.
Especially true in phase mode, since it has a direct effect on where the Omnimod voltage will travel.

Button combo presses are mentioned nowhere in the manual (ex. Pressing 2,3,4 channel buttons at the same time brings up a little graphic for showing the values of what you're editing).

No documentation on clock timing really (i.e. you have to figure out on your own what a full travel of an channel on trigger mode equals in note values if your sequence and the channel tempo setting are the same). Would have been amazingly helpful to have this laid out in the manual.

Not a lot of clear indication of what the input does in tempo mode. Just says "input above threshold acts a clock for that channel" but this has not been my experience...again a deeper explanation of the input config screen could easily clear this up I'm sure.

USE:
The thing is modulation beast for any CV input, so patch examples are numerous (Tempo synced modulation on folds/filiters/really any CV input, self patching with an external CV source mapping 1 channel's travel in phase mode and other channels being triggered by various thresholds set in the input config from that phase channel, sequencing 1v/oct via stepped voltage into an external quantizer, variable shape synced LFO's from tempo mode, one-shot LFO's from trigger mode (-ve voltage using external offset/invert)

My biggest patch that I've been trying to work out is the ability to pair 2 channels to make a super versatile ADSR so I can sculpt each section's shape. Has proved not easy so far since you need a fair amount of other modules giving cues via gates or triggers as to which section the Omnimod envelope is at currently.

Overall really fun though to mess around with. Two things I'm hoping for:

1. Someone with better coding chops than me can write a "gate mode" for this thing so it will effectively turn into 4 WMD MME's without expanders.

2. Someone with better DIY skills than me can do an expander with CV in's to modulate channels and EOR/EOC gates/triggers

Both, I think, are kind of like hoping to catch a unicorn though :ripbanana:

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Mine arrived today and I've spent about 2 hours playing with it - to begin with I really struggled but over the 2 hours I figured out, with the limited aid of the manual, most of the functions.

The CV input screen is a bit confusing to begin with but like others said you get used to it although Ill be honest the threshold level didn't seem to make any difference to detecting an incoming gate to define the tempo i.e. the gate was always detected.

Clearing a channels settings doesn't seem possible but I found that once you figured out how to modify each stage it wasn't a massive problem, more an irritation.

If I get motivated this weekend I might try and note down things I've learnt here next week as an informal manual ....we'll see.

With all the above said it really is an amazing CV modulation source - I don't think there's anything else that comes close to it in eurorack that creates such complex modulations with relative ease - even after only 2 hours I would recommend it if you can get hold of one.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”