Omnimod - first post updated 19/10/17

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Vcoadsr wrote:The CV input screen is a bit confusing to begin with but like others said you get used to it although Ill be honest the threshold level didn't seem to make any difference to detecting an incoming gate to define the tempo i.e. the gate was always detected.
I think this gate detection bit is super useful if you are using one channel to clock the others. That way not all of your peaks are being used for a trigger and only those at a certain level. It makes for a lot of crazy fun.
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Chickenbone wrote:
Vcoadsr wrote:The CV input screen is a bit confusing to begin with but like others said you get used to it although Ill be honest the threshold level didn't seem to make any difference to detecting an incoming gate to define the tempo i.e. the gate was always detected.
I think this gate detection bit is super useful if you are using one channel to clock the others. That way not all of your peaks are being used for a trigger and only those at a certain level. It makes for a lot of crazy fun.
Just to be clear, there is no gate detection on this thing. In its current form, all the inputs are responding to are triggers or CV via whatever voltage you have told the input to monitor and threshold you have set. It will not preserve gate duration on its own with one channel.

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm

VZvision wrote:
Chickenbone wrote:
Just to be clear, there is no gate detection on this thing. In its current form, all the inputs are responding to are triggers or CV via whatever voltage you have told the input to monitor and threshold you have set. It will not preserve gate duration on its own with one channel.
Ok, thanks I need to play around with the threshold more to understand how it works, a job for tomorrow .... I guess a more thorough manual would alleviate this initial head scratching.

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 pm

VZvision wrote:
jameswalk wrote:
okkoto wrote:i just picked one up from Detroit Modular. seems like they have a good amount left because I'm familiar with their website and it usually lists "limited quantity" with low stock.
Thanks I followed your lead and placed an order. It seems like the manual is a little lacking, so a question to those who have had it for a while now.. what have you discovered that you think should have been documented properly in the manual? Any patch examples?
MANUAL:
The input configuration screen needs some detail about it for sure. Although you can figure it out over time, the lack of documentation on it is frustrating.
Especially true in phase mode, since it has a direct effect on where the Omnimod voltage will travel.

Button combo presses are mentioned nowhere in the manual (ex. Pressing 2,3,4 channel buttons at the same time brings up a little graphic for showing the values of what you're editing).

No documentation on clock timing really (i.e. you have to figure out on your own what a full travel of an channel on trigger mode equals in note values if your sequence and the channel tempo setting are the same). Would have been amazingly helpful to have this laid out in the manual.

Not a lot of clear indication of what the input does in tempo mode. Just says "input above threshold acts a clock for that channel" but this has not been my experience...again a deeper explanation of the input config screen could easily clear this up I'm sure.

USE:
The thing is modulation beast for any CV input, so patch examples are numerous (Tempo synced modulation on folds/filiters/really any CV input, self patching with an external CV source mapping 1 channel's travel in phase mode and other channels being triggered by various thresholds set in the input config from that phase channel, sequencing 1v/oct via stepped voltage into an external quantizer, variable shape synced LFO's from tempo mode, one-shot LFO's from trigger mode (-ve voltage using external offset/invert)

My biggest patch that I've been trying to work out is the ability to pair 2 channels to make a super versatile ADSR so I can sculpt each section's shape. Has proved not easy so far since you need a fair amount of other modules giving cues via gates or triggers as to which section the Omnimod envelope is at currently.

Overall really fun though to mess around with. Two things I'm hoping for:

1. Someone with better coding chops than me can write a "gate mode" for this thing so it will effectively turn into 4 WMD MME's without expanders.

2. Someone with better DIY skills than me can do an expander with CV in's to modulate channels and EOR/EOC gates/triggers

Both, I think, are kind of like hoping to catch a unicorn though :ripbanana:
Really helpful, thanks for this. Hoping others will chime in too.

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Vcoadsr wrote:If I get motivated this weekend I might try and note down things I've learnt here next week as an informal manual ....we'll see.
Please do!

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Vcoadsr wrote:If I get motivated this weekend I might try and note down things I've learnt here next week as an informal manual ....we'll see.
Please do!

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

VZvision wrote:
jameswalk wrote:
okkoto wrote:i just picked one up from Detroit Modular. seems like they have a good amount left because I'm familiar with their website and it usually lists "limited quantity" with low stock.
Thanks I followed your lead and placed an order. It seems like the manual is a little lacking, so a question to those who have had it for a while now.. what have you discovered that you think should have been documented properly in the manual? Any patch examples?
MANUAL:
The input configuration screen needs some detail about it for sure. Although you can figure it out over time, the lack of documentation on it is frustrating.
Especially true in phase mode, since it has a direct effect on where the Omnimod voltage will travel.

Button combo presses are mentioned nowhere in the manual (ex. Pressing 2,3,4 channel buttons at the same time brings up a little graphic for showing the values of what you're editing).

No documentation on clock timing really (i.e. you have to figure out on your own what a full travel of an channel on trigger mode equals in note values if your sequence and the channel tempo setting are the same). Would have been amazingly helpful to have this laid out in the manual.

Not a lot of clear indication of what the input does in tempo mode. Just says "input above threshold acts a clock for that channel" but this has not been my experience...again a deeper explanation of the input config screen could easily clear this up I'm sure.

USE:
The thing is modulation beast for any CV input, so patch examples are numerous (Tempo synced modulation on folds/filiters/really any CV input, self patching with an external CV source mapping 1 channel's travel in phase mode and other channels being triggered by various thresholds set in the input config from that phase channel, sequencing 1v/oct via stepped voltage into an external quantizer, variable shape synced LFO's from tempo mode, one-shot LFO's from trigger mode (-ve voltage using external offset/invert)

My biggest patch that I've been trying to work out is the ability to pair 2 channels to make a super versatile ADSR so I can sculpt each section's shape. Has proved not easy so far since you need a fair amount of other modules giving cues via gates or triggers as to which section the Omnimod envelope is at currently.

Overall really fun though to mess around with. Two things I'm hoping for:

1. Someone with better coding chops than me can write a "gate mode" for this thing so it will effectively turn into 4 WMD MME's without expanders.

2. Someone with better DIY skills than me can do an expander with CV in's to modulate channels and EOR/EOC gates/triggers

Both, I think, are kind of like hoping to catch a unicorn though :ripbanana:
Really helpful, thanks for this. Hoping others will chime in too.

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 pm

So I've only had the Omnimod since yesterday but managed to put together a reasonably comprehensive 'informal' manual today (see below) - to be fair although the official manual is scant after using the Omnimod for a couple of hours it is relatively straightforward to figure out how it works.
If any of the below information is wrong or needs updating let me know and I'll edit as needed.

Macromachines Omnimod - Informal manual

Powering on the Omnimod:
The Omnimod will show the ‘Modulation curve design’ page of channel 1 loading the last saved settings for all channels.

Navigation between channels is achieved by pressing the button associated with a channel. Once the channel is selected, pressing the same channel button again manually resets the output CV to the left hand side of the modulation curve (when in TEMPO or TRIGR mode).

Pressing and holding the channel button will take you to the channels ‘Input CV’ setup page.

‘Modulation curve design’ page:

Each channel has 5 ‘edit points’ where each edit point has the following parameters, that are selected using the left encoder to scroll through each edit points parameters before moving to the next edit point:

1. Horizontal position (denoted by two arrows pointing left and right of the cursor point):
This moves the position of the edit point horizontally left and right - in the TEMPO, TRIGR & HERTZ mode this axis represents ‘time’.
Note: If the horizontal positioning of the edit point is moved up to and then beyond an adjacent edit point the adjacent edit points will also be moved automatically.

2. Vertical position (denoted by two arrows pointing above and below the cursor point):
This moves the position of the edit point vertically I.e. from 0 to approx. +9.5V on output where the higher the vertical position the larger the output voltage.

3. Point-to-point line shape (denoted by a small box to the right of the cursor):
This parameter changes the shape of the modulation line between the current and next right edit point. Starting with the parameter fully CCW the modulation line shape changes as follows:
Exponential to linear to Gaussian type curve to a quarter circle to square

4. No. of repeats (denoted by a dotted vertical line at the position go the cursor):
This parameter determines the number of repeats of the current modulation curve to the next edit point. You can select up to 8 repeats using this parameter. As you increase the number of repeats you also can choose whether the additional repeats mirror the original slope direction or an inverted form of this e.g. if the original slope direction is decreasing the repeat can be either decreasing or increasing. This behaviour is selected between the two options as the number of repeats is increased.

5. Repeat behaviour (denoted by a solid white fill of the area below the modulation curve):
This parameter changes the characteristic of the repeat sections where the CCW parameter value has increasing gradients with each repeat to decreasing gradients to equal gradients as you move CW.
Note: this option is not available when the number of repeats is 1 - in this case you will turn the encoder two notches to get the next and final parameter.

6. No. of steps (denoted by a cross symbol at the cursor point):
This parameter changes the number of steps used to traverse from the current edit point to the next right edit point - it has the effect of creating a sub-sampled version of the line between the two edit points much like the modulation curve passing through a sample & hold function where the trigger time is evenly split between the two edit points.

Note:
- Edit point 1 (left most edit point): It’s horizontal location is fixed and therefore doesn’t have the ‘horizontal position’ parameter available
- Edit point 5 (right most edit point): This edit point only has available the ‘vertical position’ parameter available.

‘Input CV’ page:

The ‘Input CV’ page allows the incoming CV for each channel to be windowed, inverted, smoothed and create an internal trigger based on a user defined threshold.

To access the ‘input CV’ page either press and hold down the channel button or press the left encoder on the current focussed channel.

The ‘Input CV’ page has two main sections:

Narrow column on the left hand side (approx. 25% of the screen):
- This shows the incoming CV, as a solid filled waveform within the input range of +/- 9.5V, prior to any windowing by the upper and lower windowing limits.

Wider window on the right hand side (approx. 75% of the screen):
- This shows the incoming CV after the windowing determined by the Upper and lower window limit parameters.

This page has 5 parameters that are selected using the left encoder and the parameter values modified by the right encoder.

Starting with the left most (fully CCW) parameter:

1. Upper window limit (denoted by an arrow pointing up against a line on the left hand side of the screen):
Changing this parameter in conjunction with the lower window limit allows the user to window the incoming CV so that it can modulate the full internal range of the Omnimod. E.g. if the incoming CV has a voltage range of 0-5V then the upper and lower window limit can be set so that the 0-5V of the incoming CV equates to the internal range of 0-1. This makes most sense when in PHASE mode where using these limits lets you scan the entire horizontal axis using the incoming CV - of course modifying these limits interactively in PHASE mode will allow specific parts of the modulation curve to be output.

2. Lower window limit (denoted by an arrow pointing down against a line on the left hand side of the screen):
See above. One interesting trick is that if the upper and lower window limits are flipped I.e. the upper limit is below the lower limit and vice versa then the incoming CV is inverted!!

3. Trigger threshold level (denoted by a line with two arrows pointed towards each other in the right hand side of the screen):
This sets the threshold level so that when the incoming CV, post upper/lower window limiting, goes above this level an internal trigger is created. This internal trigger is required for the TEMPO & TRIGR modes. When an internal trigger is created the ‘Input CV’ page will flash white which is a useful visual indication to know a trigger was made.

4. Rise slew amount (denoted by an up pointing arrow and a double digit number to the right of this):
Increasing this value from 00 to 09 adds more slew to the rising edge of the incoming CV.

5. Fall slew amount (denoted by a down pointing arrow and a double digit number to the right of this):
Increasing this value from 00 to 09 adds more slew to the falling edge of the incoming CV. Both the Rise and Fall slew amount applies smoothing to the incoming CV.

Omnimnod modes:

There are four modes to choose from for each channel - to change the mode of a particular channel press down on the right encoder when in the ‘Modulation curve design’ page. A text header will appear with the following information:

BPM XXX / YY MODE

Where:

XXX sets the BPM for the channel
YY is the clock division of the selected BPM
MODE selects the mode type TEMPO, PHASE, TRIGR & HERTZ.

The three parameters are selected using the left encoder and the right encoder changes the parameter values.

TEMPO mode:

With no external input CV the timing of the output modulation curve is determined by the BPM and clock division values set per channel and is free running.

With an external gate or trigger input into the respective channel, with the appropriate upper/lower window limit and trigger threshold level set, this mode will calculate the input BPM value and sync to this incoming clock. You can see what the calculated BPM is of the incoming clock on the mode selection header. The channels BPM is being constantly calculated when receiving an input signal and therefore tracks varying BPM changes.

If the incoming clock signal is removed the BPM up to that point is maintained.

Changing the clock division when receiving an external clock will result as expected and the calculated BPM will also change. e.g. if the incoming BPM is 120 BPM and the channel clock division is 1 then the calculated BPM is 120. If the clock division is set to 2 then the resulting calculated BPM displayed will become 60.

PHASE mode:

This mode requires the input of an external CV to output the modulation curve.

In this mode the input CV addresses a specific location on the horizontal axis of the modulation curve. The easiest way to understand this mode is to input a rising 0-5V sawtooth LFO into the desired channel, then in the ‘Input CV’ page (by pressing the left encoder) set the upper & lower window limits to cover the range of the incoming CV. You will then observe, in the ‘modulation curve design’ page, the cursor scan through from left to right outputting the designed modulation curve.
Changing these upper and lower window limits will change which part of the total modulation curve is output and depending on the shape of the incoming CV can also play the modulation curve in reverse too.
In this mode the trigger threshold level doesn’t do anything.

TRIGR mode:

This mode only outputs the modulation curve when it receives an internal trigger determined by the ’trigger threshold level’ on the ‘Input CV’ page.
The modulation curve plays through from left to right after receiving an internal trigger. If another trigger is detected before the current play of the modulation curve completes the play back is retriggered. The BPM & division parameters for the channel set the speed of the modulation curve play back.

HERTZ mode:

This mode turns the Omnimod into an oscillator where the waveform can be essentially drawn in the ‘modulation curve design’ page. The input CV in this mode modulates the pitch of the oscillator.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Fuck me, that's a good effort Phil! :yay:

tomtomtron
Common Wiggler

Post by tomtomtron » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Mr. VCOADSR - big up :hail:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm

@Vcoadsr - thanks for that. it should be quoted on every new page :)

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks Guys!

Hopefully a good starting point for new users - still bewildered the manufacturer couldn't have attempted something ...... if you want a job doing .... :hihi:

I couldn't seem to get that 3 button (2,3 & 4) hold to work that displays the coordinates?!

jameswalk
Common Wiggler

Post by jameswalk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:11 pm

That’s Brilliant! Greatly appreciated

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah Thank you, i was still having some trouble wrapping my head around the windowing and this helped clear that up.

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:33 pm

A Hurculean effort. :sb:
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 am

So the only two things I can't seem to find how to do are:

1. 64 storable, recallable, sequence-able, and randomize-able presets

2. switchable 0 10v or -5 /+5 range on outputs.

So if anyone has found how to do these please shout!

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 am

Vcoadsr wrote:So the only two things I can't seem to find how to do are:

hmm...wheres this nico guy ??
shouldnt he answer this questions to us :despair:
can we say macro machines support suxxs somehow :evil:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

wanne wrote:
Vcoadsr wrote:So the only two things I can't seem to find how to do are:

hmm...wheres this nico guy ??
shouldnt he answer this questions to us :despair:
can we say macro machines support suxxs somehow :evil:
lol. you should read the whole thread to realize the futility of your questions

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm

ignatius wrote:
lol. you should read the whole thread to realize the futility of your questions
LOL!! I haven't read all 64 pages but got the feeling that might be the case... oh well it's still a great and unique module!!

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:52 am

i know it was big drama and took over 2 years to get the module out with
that kind of delay and we should be happy that it happend at all.

but what now ?`
pls explain to me...is there any hope for support or fw updates ?

and yes,its still a great and unique module !!

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks VCOADSR your notes really got me on track.

A couple hours in and I’m getting more use to the workflow. I’m a big fan of the varigate 8 and it really unlocks the omnimod as you can store and recall 100 patches and settings and also sequence through them using varigate song mode.

You could wait a million years for nico to make more storage strips, if you like the omnimod and want basic patch storage get a varigate 4+ in the meantime.

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Southfork wrote:Thanks VCOADSR your notes really got me on track.

A couple hours in and I’m getting more use to the workflow. I’m a big fan of the varigate 8 and it really unlocks the omnimod as you can store and recall 100 patches and settings and also sequence through them using varigate song mode.

You could wait a million years for nico to make more storage strips, if you like the omnimod and want basic patch storage get a varigate 4+ in the meantime.
Thanks glad it was of some help!

Can you explain a bit more how the varigate 4+ is used to store and recall settings on the omnimod please?

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 pm

You can CV presets with Storage Strip.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Vcoadsr wrote:

Thanks glad it was of some help!

Can you explain a bit more how the varigate 4+ is used to store and recall settings on the omnimod please?
I actually don’t have a 4+ but looking through the manual it looks like it has a stripped down version of the 8+ features. Simply set the jumper on the back to cv master and when you save a varigate 4+ state it will also send the command to the omnimod. Doesn’t look like it has a song mode so you can’t sequence through them but you’ll get access to 4 banks of 4 save states and recall. It also has a clock master jumper but this doesn’t seem to transmit to the omnimod on the v8+

More modules than people realise utilise the select bus, make noise tempi, everything by mungo, gatestorm

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 pm

MATSmile wrote:

You can CV presets with Storage Strip.
I had a storage strip. No cv but you can use a trigger to sequence in different directions and random. It won’t change banks though so you can only sequence through 4 settings. The v8+ is more powerful than that.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”