Erbe-Verb: Can't find comparable reverb, why so unique?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

gonner
Common Wiggler

Post by gonner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:18 am

Im loving the Erbe. Maybe it's because my ears have been exhausted by all the beautiful plugins or maybe its all the cvin'. Who cares Erbe Verb Rules.

Andrew108
Common Wiggler

Post by Andrew108 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:13 am

Thought I would reply here with some observations. I've been putting the Erbe Verb through it's paces and really like it so far. The modulation opportunities of this reverb are unique and it makes it more of a sound shaper than a straight out and out replication of sound in spaces. O.k but here is my main observation:
You always always need two reverbs. One is never enough. The reason being is that it is impossible to get for example smoothed out tails and strong initial modulation. I use the Erbe Verb in conjunction with the dark reverb on my Octatrack. The mix amount of dark reverb is really low but I find that it opens up the Erbe Verb just enough to make it perfect.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:58 am

wellurban wrote: I don't really get an overly metallic impression from my EV, unless I'm using a small size parameter for that deliberate effect, in which case the crazy flanging effects and trashcan sounds are really distinctive. One of the tricks that I find useful for creating a more "organic" (for want of a better word) lushness to the reverb tail is to extrapolate the patch described in the manual that patches the CV back into the decay time. That's great for getting super-long tails that hang on the edge of self-oscillation, but if you mult that CV and patch it with various amounts of attenuversion and slew back into several CV inputs, you can get even more movement. Patching into Tilt gives lovely flutters and swells, while patching into Depth can get you tails that drift in and out of shimmer mode. Patching into Size gets crazy unless you attenuate very heavily, but if you manage to get a subtle enough setting and combine it with the other CV feedback loops, you can get some really complex evolving reverb tails that sound wonderfully lush and unique to my ears.

Then if you're up for it, try patching the CV into size and predelay simultaneously. Feed in a drum loop and you've got Autechre and Venetian Snares having a bar brawl in your rack :deadbanana:
great patch ideas! thanks!!

RLK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RLK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Erbe Verbe also works nicely for physical modeling.
Barely audio rate signals VCA'd with envelopes into most of the parameters with the size set fairly small can get some neat drum head or stringed instrument soundboard/chamber emulations.

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 pm

thelizard wrote:My students really love this book:

It's great because it covers math and DSP in a really gentle manner. It's a pretty solid starting point.

The Audio Programming Book is also excellent, but a bit more intense:

The DVD that comes with it is particularly great.

If you have a *very* strong math foundation, the Julius O. Smith books are free and among the four best: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

I recommend those three resources more than the usual academic DSP books (Lyons, Prolakis, Oppenheimer, etc.) because they focus *only* on audio, especially in a musical context.

Also, I personally have used the DAFX book a lot in my research:

If you like Max/MSP, I also really recommend the Electronic Music and Sound Design series. They simultaneously teach Max skills, electronic music history, and DSP:
Thanks, this is really great info. I've bookmarked this page so I can come back to these suggestions.

machetemirage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by machetemirage » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 pm

This thread inspired me to reapproach my EV, and I patched as a delay using the R out as feedback into a mixer.

Sound is Plaits harmonic osc through 3sisters, Marbles sequences and hits the reverse on the EV

https://soundcloud.com/charles-lee-472087900/erbecho

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Erbe-Verb: Can't find comparable reverb, why so unique?

Post by inoshi » Sat May 02, 2020 7:47 am

are there other reverbs with similar amounts of CV control over params?
Love the erbe-verb.

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Sat May 02, 2020 8:39 am

Not to my knowledge, which is a bit unfortunate... the only thing preventing me from buying it is the fact that it's mono in, which wouldn't suit my personal situation. That being said, the Desmodus Versio announced by Noise Engineering a few months ago has very interesting potential CV-wise. I just wasn't too pleased with the audio demos I've heard so far, but it's too early to tell.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sat May 02, 2020 8:51 am

tvparcable wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:39 am
That being said, the Desmodus Versio announced by Noise Engineering a few months ago has very interesting potential CV-wise. I just wasn't too pleased with the audio demos I've heard so far, but it's too early to tell.
interesting... wasn't aware of this... it seems a little too noisy for my tastes but i'll keep it on the radar.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 pm

There's also the qu-bit aurora that will be coming out soon(-ish)

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:06 am

I have a grip of low/mid range 80s and 90s rack verbs (Ensoniq/Roland/Alesis/Boss/Yamaha) and yes many of them do sound metallic (and very techno/early Warp) but not in the way that the Erbe Verb does. The Erbe Verb is capable of taking a trigger click and turning it into the sound of someone banging a giant metal can that's constantly deforming in shape. It self oscillates! You can use it effectively and creatively in any part of the signal chain. You can use it to send chaotic modulation to other modules. It can make things sound like they are getting sucked out of a room. It can sound like someone scraping a cymbal or make any number of electro-acoustic type sounds.

It's basically a deconstructed reverb that's become something more than a reverb. Kind of the way the Serge Resonant EQ is something other than what you'd typically think of as an EQ, and more of a playable instrument in it's own right. But it definitely has a distinct sound and I could see someone getting tired of it or not finding it useful for their music. I tend to record long tweaking sessions with it and cut small samples out of it to use as weird percussion or textural one-shots. I almost never use it as an end of chain reverb the way I do with my rack effects.

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by muleskinner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:02 am

stephend wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:48 pm
but i have yet to see the empress reverb brought up. so many different ways to use it and sounds better than both in my opinion.
I am hanging on for the Zoia Euro version for exactly this reason. It contains a number of the key Empress algorithms plus a boatload of other fx.

I also use a Boss RV1000 (90s rackmount) that cost me about £30 on ebay and sounds great!
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:26 am

Lately i've been breathing new life into my Erbe Verb by patching envelopes to the absorb and using it to patch gated reverbs with the mix input. I also have a springray and often combine the two to get a better reverb sound... I'd still like to get a less metallic more sensible reverb someday for good measure. Maybe a Strymon Big Sky.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:03 am

vrfats wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:26 am
Lately i've been breathing new life into my Erbe Verb by patching envelopes to the absorb and using it to patch gated reverbs with the mix input. I also have a springray and often combine the two to get a better reverb sound... I'd still like to get a less metallic more sensible reverb someday for good measure. Maybe a Strymon Big Sky.
Yes, the Erbe Verb loves envelopes! And is excellent going into a second reverb. I've been doing this thing lately where I'm basically pinging the Erbe Verb and have a bunch of tight generative clock triggered envelopes going into various CVs and sending that into a heavily modulated Boss RV-500 (sleeper reverb pedal) and if I can get a nice beat going with it I can amuse myself for like an hour, and could probably amuse a patient crowd for at least 5 minutes :waah:

If you want metallic reverb sounds the RV-500 is great for that (has Roland SRV modelling among other tricks), as well as lush Strymon type stuff. The way the presets are configured they're clearly meant for guitar, in terms of EQ and mix level, but once you start programming it it's an insanely flexible reverb for synth work. Each patch has 8 lfos you can assign to pretty much anything, including modulating the reverb algorithm. It's not as immediately playable as the Erbe Verb but infinitely more flexible and even has an expression input that responds to CV.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”