Pittsburgh Modular KB1 Does not Arp to External Clock

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

boe_dye
Learning to Wiggle

Pittsburgh Modular KB1 Does not Arp to External Clock

Post by boe_dye » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 am

So I just received my KB-1, plugged it in and started going to town. Everything seemed to work pretty well, the unit was clean, no visible damage, and all in all functioned exactly as it should.

Except the external clock function...

I like to clock everything from my drum machine via an MST/Synthrotek Midi/CV convereter into a Make Noise Tempi. Very powerful setup and incredibly flexible.

However, when I try to clock my KB-1 from ANYTHING external, the arp doesn't function at all. I've tried clocking from my Stillson Hammer MK2, I've tried clocking from all the channels from the Tempi, I've tried clocking from my MIDI/CV converter to no avail. These modules all work happily with one another, but nothing seems to register with the external clock-in of my KB-1.

Except... I did manage to clock it with the square modulation source from my Atlantis. So it is capable of clocking from an external source, so long as that source is a modulation source it seems.

While this is nice and all, it would be preferable to clock it from the Make Noise Tempi as I did spend a good deal of money to have a dedicated clock source that clocks multiple channels. As I said, the KB1 clocks from an external modulation source, but not at all from a dedicated clock source.

And yes, all these other modules play nicely together...

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this module to clock and arp from an external clock source? The documentation says it's supposed to, but I can't seem to figure out how!

Thanks!

Outtatune
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Outtatune » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:28 pm

I'm using Octatrack>Yarns[Clock Out]>KB1 and it rocks my world. Anything you want me to try to help? Have you got clock set to external and your divisions set correctly on the KB1?

Pitts is pretty helpful if you drop them a line too.
"9U is the new guitar pedal"
Current Main Rig

boe_dye
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boe_dye » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:02 pm

As far as I can tell I do! Edit + Clock = Double Blink, set the clock to divide by 0, so it should at the least trigger on every 1/4 note pulse from source!

I even did a factory reset, but got no results. The internal clock functions work perfectly, but the external clock functions only work when triggered by a modulation source.

Ratchetman19
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ratchetman19 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 am

I'm having a similar issue...ever find a solution anybody?

boe_dye
Learning to Wiggle

Sorta

Post by boe_dye » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:25 pm

I actually don’t own the module anymore (I wound up getting an external controller). However Pittsburgh suggested that the gate signals from other modules just weren’t strong enough to trigger their module. They suggested to amplify the signal using either a buffered mult or a VCA. I do recall it working properly going through a VCA. Great module, too — Pittsburgh Modular makes some of the finest out there! Only problem is they can’t comment on other brand modules (and rightfully so), and while it is typically true that CV is pretty standard, sometimes you’ll come across manufacturers who do things just a little bit differently that have unexpected results. There is a video of Mark Verbos talking about such things.

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Yup, I ran into this. The KB-1 is picky as to what kind of triggers / gate signals it reads at the clock in. If I take the clock out of my Wogglebug, it doesn't register. If I send that to something else, like a Rotating Clock Divider, it will take those clock outputs. Attenuators can help, too.

Also, it can't read very fast clock signals. The little arduino board in there just can't keep up.

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Try some square LFOs to make sure it functions at all. Contact PGH they are very helpful. I clock mine from a midi 3 or a Time Runner but thoses are both PGH modules. Its a great controller, I have 2.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Pittsburgh Modular KB1 Does not Arp to External Clock

Post by okiikahuna » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:00 pm

I have to admit, I was a bit baffled when I got my KB1 and read in the manual about setting it to divide the clock by zero. I don't think this is even possible. You can't divide anything by zero. It would require finding a number that when multiplied by zero does not equal zero. Good luck with that. Of course, I doubt that is really your problem. Just enjoy being a smart-ass sometimes. But Its fun to idley speculate that perhaps setting the program to divide by zero might cause a program error in the unit. But I rather doubt this is really the problem.Just wasting everybodiy's time, really.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 pm

In an effort to be a bit moreconstructive than my last post, I tried to clock the KB1 to several clock sources with mixed results. It wouldn't sync to a Doepfer A-154 or Pamela's New Workout. But I could clock it with a Plan B Model 15's square wave, so long as it was way down in its subsonic range. Seems like this is not a sequencer that can be clocked at fast or audio rates.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Correction on my last post, where I said I couldn't get the KB1 to sync to clock from A-154. I tried it again today and it worked perfectly right away. Great fun to setup a little rhythm on the A-155 gate sequencer. and then set the KB1 to Arp mode with random gates and random trigger bursts.The random gates occur randomly, but in time with the incoming clock Not sure why it didn't work before. I haven't managed to replicate the problem, but I'll keep trying until I figure it out. So here I am spending my time struggling to replicate past failures. What a senseless waste of human potential.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”