Tiptop Mantis cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by continuum » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:28 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 am
I just dropped a full Mantis case last night from almost 6 ft. in the air.
It bounced :doh:
No cracks in the case :yay:
luckily it didn't hit on the face of the modules though.
Wish they had a lid.
A bag is required to take it out of the house, I have a cardboard bag.
:eek:

Might want to consider the Analog Cases UNISON for Mantis for some increased protection!

https://analogcases.com/products/unison-mantis-case
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm

-SNIP-SNIP
funeralcake wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 am

I bought both of my cases used and I sometimes let them run powered for over an hour. So far, I've not had any issues at all with the cases themselves.
MORE SNIP
An hour? I leave all of these cases on for days. Never had a problem.
I am sometimes concerned that there will be a lightening strike when they are on though.
Has not happened yet.
However, I do have a bunch of MOVs in the power strip.

PS... that Unison case sure is nice.
Probably fit a bunch of pistols too.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 am

Hi there,

Anybody know if a Mantis (with a decksaver cover) fits into the 104 hp Intellijel gig bag? I've heard the Mantis bag is pretty snug when the decksaver in on.

Thanks.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 am
Hi there,

Anybody know if a Mantis (with a decksaver cover) fits into the 104 hp Intellijel gig bag? I've heard the Mantis bag is pretty snug when the decksaver in on.

Thanks.
The current Mantis bag is larger to fit the Decksaver more easily.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:05 pm

continuum wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 pm
Del wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks.
Thanks. Good to know. Other than asking the dealer directly, is there any way to know which bags are the new, bigger ones?

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:10 am

Del wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:05 pm
continuum wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 pm
Del wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks.
Thanks. Good to know. Other than asking the dealer directly, is there any way to know which bags are the new, bigger ones?
The updated bag was released a while ago so that should be the only one in stock. It's the Trans Mantis Express bag and has no graphics:

http://tiptopaudio.com/mantis
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi!
I have a tiptop Mantis case, and I do understand that the power its separated to 3 zones, 3 x 1A each.
I was wondering if is worth separating audio modules (vca, LPG, output module) to their own zone cause sometimes I feel lfos leaking into vcas.
Would it help?
Thanks

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:51 pm

toumpouris wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm
Hi!
I have a tiptop Mantis case, and I do understand that the power its separated to 3 zones, 3 x 1A each.
I was wondering if is worth separating audio modules (vca, LPG, output module) to their own zone cause sometimes I feel lfos leaking into vcas.
Would it help?
Thanks
I've never tested this (nor had the problem, myself) but anecdotally from reading lots of other people's posts on this board, I have seen some folks say that this does potentially help. Most recent one was regarding Intellijel Metropolis. Why not try it out yourself, if you're experiencing issues, and then report back to us with the efficacy? :tu:

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by The_hitcher » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am

trickness wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:33 am
Got my Mantis brackets and installed them, about a 15 minute job. If you've put together anything by Ikea, you can do this easily. Hardest part was flipping the connected cases over with one bracket attached while not allowing them to spread, but I did it myself. Racking modules at the ends of the cases keeps the rails pretty well aligned - finished setup is super study & sano, looks good. Very inexpensive and cool way to get a 12u case with power - only downside it obviously it's no longer portable (although you could revert to two units in about 15 minutes) and the decksaver cover won't fit it. Also wish there was a way to use one power supply instead of 2, but again not a deal breaker. Really love this setup.

so I guess you pulled all your modules out (except 8) when Installing? Was kinda hoping to not have to do that.

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:12 am

I looked at the Mantis brackets, but in the end I went for this slim riser from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 it is a perfect fit for dual Mantises, cheaper & more flexible/portable.
IMG_0898.JPG

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm

What is the usable depth of the Mantis case at either end where the legs fold up?

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:38 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:12 am
I looked at the Mantis brackets, but in the end I went for this slim riser from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 it is a perfect fit for dual Mantises, cheaper & more flexible/portable.IMG_0898.JPG
This looks like an equivalent product, available stateside:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9434

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by funeralcake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm

The_hitcher wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am
so I guess you pulled all your modules out (except 8) when Installing? Was kinda hoping to not have to do that.
I know the instructions stress not doing so, and I'm not encouraging anyone to do this, but I did install mine loaded with modules anyway. The only problem I encountered was that the cases are significantly heavier when loaded up with modules, and I did need someone to help me to carefully flip the cases around in order to install the other bracket.
useless

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:40 am

I also did it mostly loaded. I removed some and took it as an opportunity to reorg a bit. I also did it by myself and would recommend taking the time to empty the cases after the fact. Nothing happened, but I got to thinking about that plastic and the stress on it when maneuvering the cases around and it didn't give me a good feeling. Great to save the extra space on the desk though and it looks great. I've got about a whole 104 empty scattered about the case.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:41 pm

I have two mantis, full. I'm thinking buying another one (or even two lol) or switch to an one and only bigger case. Anyone was in the same position? What did you do?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:41 pm
I have two mantis, full. I'm thinking buying another one (or even two lol) or switch to an one and only bigger case. Anyone was in the same position? What did you do?
I went DIY with a bigger case. Then bought more stuff and ended up bringing the Mantises back out to create separate instruments. Fun x3 :goo:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:41 pm

I have 3 Mantis, two racked together with the TipTop bracket, one standalone. Have a Needham on the way as I ran out of space again. Keeping one case so I can do a portable rig, will sell the other two. IMHO, Mantis is the greatest value and one of the best products in all of Euro.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:07 pm

I ran out of room in my second Mantis pretty quickly, though last night, I decided to really look at what I had in it and pulled a few modules to put them into my Niftycase for a more purely noise-oriented/experimental portable rack. I also still have a couple of Happy Endings that are almost totally unpopulated.

That said, If I had any space left in my already cramped room, I would absolutely consider 1-2 more Mantis cases. As things are now, I don't even have enough rack space to mount both of my HE's at the moment, so buying another case isn't going to happen until it becomes absolutely necessary, or I can figure out a way to re-think my whole bedroom studio nook to accommodate everything I already have.

Tangentially-related thought: Tiptop should really consider a rectangular case designed to mount on the wall. Or maybe a 3u case to extend a mantis to 9u by joining to the front end with another set of brackets. I'd buy all of these things.

OMG, and a 1u extension that screws into the top, and can be angled to accommodate both bracketed and non-bracketed cases. :spin:
useless

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Ahha! Since I bought them new, I will lost some money if I have to sell them to buy a bigger case. I'd prefer buying more modules lol.

Think I will stick to mantis cases, I do agree it's great value. And I DO agree some 'skiff' and/or other additional/auxiliar cases would be amazing to complete this product.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:44 pm

Can someone who understands this case and PSUs help me? It's well known that the +12V rail has 3A, split 1A per zone (Top Left, Top Right, Bottom).

But what is not clear anywhere, is does the -12V rail follow the same design? Meaning, it is 1.1A split to 366mA per section? So if you have more than that -12V on any given section, you could be looking at damage/problems?

Or if not, why not?

I just had what I think may be a power-related issue with 2 Bastl Popcorns on the bottom row, connected in dual mode. So first, I am granting that it could be a Popcorn software/hardware glitch that caused this problem... But I had everything working fine for 3+ hours and suddenly the Master module sequence went all wonky and then shut off completely. I thought the module must have died. :eek: Turned mantis off and back on, and all was "fine", (though the sequence was lost because I had turned a bunch of knobs in panic :bang:). But everything seemed to power on okay.

Anyway, I just re-did my modular in 3 separate "racks" on modular grid, one for each section, since Modulargrid has no way of knowing where you plugged in which modules, just the total power draw of everything combined (and most would say isn't guaranteed to be accurate even if it could).

But assuming a 10% margin of error on the power draw, of all my sections, the only only one that could possibly be a problem is my bottom row, where both Popcorns are, because it's at 358 mA -12V.

1.1A split 3 ways would be 366 ma, so technically under the limit, but as stated above Modgrid may not be accurate. So, is this my problem?

And why would it work fine for 3+ hours and then short? Is power draw not constant? A module could draw less than the maximum for an indeterminate amount of time and then spike high enough to short out? Really trying to figure out whether I have a simple wiring issue or a deeper problem. :despair:

Any help is appreciated.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:47 pm

The -12V is not split into zones on Mantis. You can find this info and more under Mantis support:

http://tiptopaudio.com/support/
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:35 pm

continuum wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:47 pm
The -12V is not split into zones on Mantis. You can find this info and more under Mantis support:

Thank you, Continuum. I appreciate the help. My current specs on modular grid are 610 mA -12V so even with a 30% margin of error I should still be safely under the 1.1 A limit. I suppose it was likely some kind of firmware glitch on the Popcorn... Hopefully it does not happen again.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm

very cool been looking at a mantis case for adding a few larger modules including a good complex sequencer, mixer and FX unit to spice up my setups.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:12 am

I'm pretty sure that the Mantis has more than enough power for my needs but can anyone tell me where the "zones" on the Mantis are? The documentation says:

+12V@3A with split zone topology (1A per zone, 3 zone total)

It's not clear to me from looking at it where the divisions are.

Another question I had — permit me to ask it here: is there anything to be worried about with a salad of cables under the modules? There's not an excess of heat under the modules, is there?

Thanks.

flipper16
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flipper16 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 am

Del wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:12 am
I'm pretty sure that the Mantis has more than enough power for my needs but can anyone tell me where the "zones" on the Mantis are? The documentation says:

+12V@3A with split zone topology (1A per zone, 3 zone total)

It's not clear to me from looking at it where the divisions are.

Thanks.
Courtesy of continuum a few posts back...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”