Tiptop Mantis cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by Faastwalker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:20 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:32 pm
Faastwalker wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:53 pm
I thought they were white. But when mine arrived (bought new) it was more greyish! It’s fine but a bit concerning to think it might discolour over time :confused:
Um, just so you know... a white case would discolor just as bad as grey over time, if not worse.
Why?! In a smokers home you mean? Or over an extraordinarily long period of time?! I’ve got white plastic items have had for years and they’ve never discoloured. A kettle for example. Had that for ages and it’s as white as snow. Some other cheaper things, such as a white lamp I bought from IKEA, turned yellow after a while. Depends entirely on the quality of the material. The Mantis shouldn’t discolour as some people have described. It’s not a cheap product.

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 am

Faastwalker wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:20 am
Why?! In a smokers home you mean? Or over an extraordinarily long period of time?! I’ve got white plastic items have had for years and they’ve never discoloured. A kettle for example. Had that for ages and it’s as white as snow. Some other cheaper things, such as a white lamp I bought from IKEA, turned yellow after a while. Depends entirely on the quality of the material. The Mantis shouldn’t discolour as some people have described. It’s not a cheap product.
UV exposure. Is that not what you were worried about with your comment about grey plastics? The discussion was referencing Super Nintendos -- UV light is why their shells yellow with age. Regarding white plastic, LEGO is very high quality ABS and white bricks discolor (turn yellow) from UV exposure. It takes less time than you would think. Put a white Lego set in your windowsill and leave it for a few months. You'll see what I mean. :hihi:

Point is, your comment seemed to imply that only grey plastics discolor from UV and white would be immune. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

Synthetica
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthetica » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Countcowden wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:51 pm
I went from having both mine sitting vertically to the bracket solution to save desk space - it’s taken a period of adjustment but now I don’t notice and I actually like having them that way.

Probably best to lay it flat and see how you like it for a period as those things tend to be a lot about your personal preference.
I bought two Mantis cases and the brackets and to me it's the ideal layout !

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:56 pm

I would like to know if the 3 zone topology of the mantis means, that what I plug into the CV and Gate bus in one zone will not be connected to the other 2 zones.

I can´t find it on the website or the pdf.

Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

Post by Faastwalker » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 am
Point is, your comment seemed to imply that only grey plastics discolor from UV and white would be immune. Sorry if I misinterpreted that.
Yes you did. Apology accepted ;)

Synthetica
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthetica » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:56 pm
I would like to know if the 3 zone topology of the mantis means, that what I plug into the CV and Gate bus in one zone will not be connected to the other 2 zones.

Yes you are correct. The PS board supply is divided 3 ways, Ports on the left, Ports on the right near the top and ports the length of the board on the bottom. The are labeled A,B, and C. Most cables from modules in the top rows or bottom rows can reach A and C or B and C, if you wish to bus modules together in different rows.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:14 am

LunaticSound wrote:

In the support section under Mantis: http://tiptopaudio.com/support/

On the center of the bus board are printed white arrows indicating the three sections. Each section provides up to 1000mA on its +12V rail and is independent from the other sections. On the left side are LEDs, one for each section, indicating the power status.

The top row has two sections, A and B:
Section A – Upper left side +12V 1000mA
Section B – Upper right side +12V 1000mA
Section C – The lower socket row +12V 1000mA
The -12V and +5V are shared with all three zones.
Only the +12V is separated into the 3 zones and the other busses (-12V, +5, CV, Gate) are shared.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am

continuum wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:14 am
LunaticSound wrote:

On the center of the bus board are printed white arrows indicating the three sections. Each section provides up to 1000mA on its +12V rail and is independent from the other sections. On the left side are LEDs, one for each section, indicating the power status.

Only the +12V is separated into the 3 zones and the other busses (-12V, +5, CV, Gate) are shared.
Are you sure? I tried to connect via CV bus and it seems, the signal does not get from A to C.

Synthetica
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthetica » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:25 am

continuum wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:14 am
LunaticSound wrote:

Oh you are correct per support, I missed the shared CV, Gate bus part. I have mine separated by bus for shared CV, Gate. Haven't tried it across different bus's.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am
Are you sure? I tried to connect via CV bus and it seems, the signal does not get from A to C.
I had a look to confirm and you are correct: A/B are connected and C is separate. I think that was done so you could have different sets of devices that use the CV/Gate in the same case (CV/Gate, CV Bus, etc).
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:14 pm

continuum wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 am
LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am
I had a look to confirm and you are correct: A/B are connected and C is separate. I think that was done so you could have different sets of devices that use the CV/Gate in the same case (CV/Gate, CV Bus, etc).
Yes, I like it that way! Thank for double checking.

globalwm
Common Wiggler

Post by globalwm » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 pm

scarkord wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am

Here's how I stack my three Mantis...

So, I really like how this was done by @scarkord!

I started out in modular with a Mantis and added a second one about a year later (when they were on sale for $50 off with a EB coupon.) Over the last year, I have been contemplating a single, larger (monster) case and after exploring various options and not deciding, I ended up adding a couple of Doepfer LC cases (6U and 9U) as a temp solution for additional modules acquired. Powering a large case comes with its challenges also.

Over the past several months, I have been reading muff's on various options for my case dilemma. Undecided. I also kept checking in on this thread.

Recently, I realized that expanding my modular on the wall I was using was not the best option since it was on the other side of the room and of my computer, various rack synths, rack effects, interface, patchbay and MIDI hub. I found that I was trying to recreate something on another wall across the room - which was getting rather tight. So, after realizing that the best action was to relocate to the wall adjacent to my 42U rack, my monster case idea may not be the best route. Also note, the width of my shelves is smaller on this wall and is only 4 feet wide.

Was does look attractive now is racking my Mantis cases (2) with the factory bracket (already ordered) and possibly adding another two Mantis cases (with a bracket) right next to it for a 2x2 Mantis configuration for dual 12U racks. This would be wider than a Doepfer monster case (168hp vs. 208hp) and make use of my existing investment in 2 Mantis cases by just adding a $39 bracket. I can put the Doepfer LC cases on a shelf above these for now.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Reading about new Mantis colors coming this year is also appealing.

ps. The K&M Heli 2 guitar stands work great on these Mantis cases and I was using two, side-by-side for a long time. The angle was great and it allowed room for items/gear in front of them. The Doepfer LC cases don't sit in these as well.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:44 am

I’m really enjoying a 2x2 mantis setup as you speak about. I’d say go for it!
068EB9E0-668C-4929-974D-CB5B8CFB20E4.jpeg

globalwm
Common Wiggler

Post by globalwm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 pm

a773 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:44 am
I’m really enjoying a 2x2 mantis setup as you speak about. I’d say go for it!
Ahh, YES! This is where I'm headed. I'm trying one of the TT Brackets this weekend and if that "fits" well, I will plan to get two more cases and another bracket.

Thank you for the picture!

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm

You're most welcome!

NB i did my own foldable stands in plywood, wanted something that would allow me to just grab any mantis without having to unscrew anything...
Last edited by a773 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:35 pm

Yeh your setup is really nice (I think I've probably already expressed that before :-D ). Out of curiosity, do you have photos of what the plywood stands look like?
:: bandcamp ::
:: web ::
:: youtube ::
:: twitter ::

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 pm

A video says more than a thousand pix :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8inlm8otm8i8h ... d.mp4?dl=0

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm

ah... nice :-) thanks!

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm

You're welcome!

globalwm
Common Wiggler

Post by globalwm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:05 pm

Thanks again for the video. Really nice!

I'm going to try the more vertical nature of the TT brackets first to see if that works for my area. Unfortunately, I don't appear to have the depth you have on your table - my shelving system (Elfa Shelving System) has only 20" depth shelves at the base. I only need 18" for the TT bracket solution.

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:47 pm

My setup is currently rather vertical as I have it on a wire shelf that is next to my desk. One thing to keep in mind -- the downside is that if you are wanting to for some reason document tracks/setups/performance via video, a more horizontal setup is clearly more friendly to a typical landscape aspect ratio video, unless you are going to get into multi-camera shots. (I only have my phone camera, so it is painful...and all encompassing shots are too far away)

Several of (all?) a773's videos are multi-cam (but my favorite shots are the top-down shots of all the modules); however, that being said, with the 2x2 grid, you can get a really nice shot of all the racks without wasted pixels on the sides.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

I was thinking about buying the mantis brackets but is it stable enough to be moved around ?
Did someone tried to place the bracketed cases in some kind of padded flightcase for transport ?
I would really like to transport the cases allready patched :/
Cheers !

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Genox wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm
I was thinking about buying the mantis brackets but is it stable enough to be moved around ?
Did someone tried to place the bracketed cases in some kind of padded flightcase for transport ?
Cheers !
You can’t fold the cases when they are connected by the brackets and it’s in an L shape that would be pretty awkward to transport.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 am

trickness wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:00 pm
You can’t fold the cases when they are connected by the brackets and it’s in an L shape that would be pretty awkward to transport.
Yes I'm aware of that, I was thinking about buying a big box flightcase for it like touring flights.

Sync
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sync » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Genox wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm
Cheers !
It seems pretty stable to me-- the brackets are fairly thick and extend backwards to provide an additional contact point with the surface its on. Not to say it's bulletproof, but I carry it around as a unit and don't get the feel that it's "flimsy".

I've rigged up a stand for it using Ultimate keyboard stand parts so that it's mostly sitting on aluminum tube crossbars, and I've been really happy with how it's turned out.
--

Sync

Return to “Eurorack Modules”