Tiptop Mantis cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
MutantLabs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:35 am
Location: Germany

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by MutantLabs » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 am

To those with brackets: If you push a module (like when pluggin in a patchcable) on the top Mantis, will the whole thing bend or move backwards? How stable is it?

User avatar
bin7me
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:48 am

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by bin7me » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:57 am

MutantLabs wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 am
To those with brackets: If you push a module (like when pluggin in a patchcable) on the top Mantis, will the whole thing bend or move backwards? How stable is it?
It's incredibly stable and both cases feel like a single unit, patch cables won't move it at all and I have to push with my whole arm to get it to move, as the rubber sliders provide good grip on my desk. (It won't tilt, as the brackets protrude quite a bit in the back)

User avatar
solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: yall jis a figment

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by solipsvs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 am

same with my brackets

variablewaveshape
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by variablewaveshape » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:00 pm

MutantLabs wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 am
To those with brackets: If you push a module (like when pluggin in a patchcable) on the top Mantis, will the whole thing bend or move backwards? How stable is it?
the brackets are rock solid, nothing ever feels like its wiggling around

User avatar
MutantLabs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:35 am
Location: Germany

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by MutantLabs » Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks for the reassurance that the stacked cases will be stable.

User avatar
fredke
Common Wiggler
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by fredke » Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 am

I have a Mantis.

Pros:
- super stable, super solid
- very ergonomic, with 2 positions: horizontal or at an angle
- a power rail with MANY connectors
- 2 power possibilities: USB or regular wall wart.

Cons:
- receded rail: you'll need longish screws.
- no protecting cover for transporting a patched patch, and
- the optional bag is very tight, making it impossible not to turn knobs when sliding the mantis in or taking it out
[EDIT: apparently there is a new soft case, that opens like a suitcase, and seems to solve these last two points]
- some shallow zones, where thick modules become problematic

User avatar
solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: yall jis a figment

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by solipsvs » Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm

fredke wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 am
- no protecting cover for transporting a patched patch
they also have their very own decksaver design for sale over at decksaver.com i think it is
Last edited by solipsvs on Wed May 06, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: yall jis a figment

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by solipsvs » Wed May 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Image

Image
Last edited by solipsvs on Wed May 06, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fredke
Common Wiggler
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by fredke » Wed May 06, 2020 6:04 pm

solipsvs wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm
fredke wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 am
- no protecting cover for transporting a patched patch
they also have their very own decksaver design for sale over at decksaver.com i think it is
Yeah ok. I didn't know. This would actually get it protected more than my other racks, which I never close (except for moving them). From the website, we don't know whether it will keep shut with cables pushing from the inside, but if it does then it's actually a great product.

User avatar
solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: yall jis a figment

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by solipsvs » Wed May 06, 2020 8:30 pm

lil bit o duck tape’ll git er done!

User avatar
drowld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by drowld » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 am

Owners of 2 mantis how do you stack them ? I don't really like the kinda permanent stack brackets they are selling so looking for alternatives

blakeq
Common Wiggler
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by blakeq » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:45 am

You could try a laptop stand.

User avatar
Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Germany

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 am

https://www.thomann.de/de/km_heli_2_black_acoustic.htm

Acoustic guitar stand. Should be easily available at every music shop near you.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

User avatar
virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by virtualpt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:24 pm

drowld wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 am
Owners of 2 mantis how do you stack them ? I don't really like the kinda permanent stack brackets they are selling so looking for alternatives
I bought one of these https://duronic.com/products/duronic-mo ... 6cm-x-24cm (they seem to be sold out now, but there must be others with similar measurements). It is the perfect size & gives me the same sort of layout I'd get by using the brackets, but with the flexibility to move each individual rack (plus it's a lot cheaper than the brackets). The Mantis sits solidly on the stand & I have had no issues with it at all.

Matt_L
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am
Location: Maryland, US
Contact:

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by Matt_L » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:54 pm

What modules have folks been struggling to fit in their Tiptop Mantis cases? I've yet to come across a module that is too deep, but I'm struggling right now to fit the Befaco Hexpander in -- the Hexpander has a unique two-tiered PCB layout which seems too big for the case. Might have to try to file down the board?

Image

edit: Was able to fit it in the bottom row with some elbow grease. Still a very tight fit

bago
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Cologne

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by bago » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:36 pm

Most of my newer WMD modules are hard to fit due to there big PCBs. The newest one (crater) doesn‘t fit at all in any spot or position. I also tried to file down the top and bottom of the PCB, but it still won’t fit.

User avatar
a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 am
Location: Copenhagen/Denmark
Contact:

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by a773 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:57 am

Nano rand won’t fit, rails press on the side of the button, making it stick. Found an ok position at some point, but at the current location it won’t fit at all...

User avatar
scarkord
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 pm
Location: Purley, UK

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by scarkord » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am

drowld wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 am
Owners of 2 mantis how do you stack them ? I don't really like the kinda permanent stack brackets they are selling so looking for alternatives
Here's how I stack my three Mantis...

Image

User avatar
Agawell
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 am

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by Agawell » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:30 am

for people having issues trying to fit modules into the rack - did you try loosening the rails a little bit and wiggling them a bit? - slight rotation

the only modules I have ever had issues with are ones that are too deep (don't fit at all) and a malekko invmix - where the panel is 0.1mm (or something) too high - but will fit with a bit of wiggling
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

User avatar
3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1128
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ottawa Ontario

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by 3hands » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:47 am

Matt_L wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:54 pm
What modules have folks been struggling to fit in their Tiptop Mantis cases? I've yet to come across a module that is too deep, but I'm struggling right now to fit the Befaco Hexpander in -- the Hexpander has a unique two-tiered PCB layout which seems too big for the case. Might have to try to file down the board?

Image

edit: Was able to fit it in the bottom row with some elbow grease. Still a very tight fit

Things I own that won’t fit in my Mantis...

Living Memory VCO (It’s a monster)
4MS Rotating Clock Divider (Randomly deep PCB and Finn for coming off the back which adds an additional 2mm or so.)

And that’s it!! Haha!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

TheNthMan
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 pm

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by TheNthMan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 am

fredke wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 am
I have a Mantis.

Pros:
- super stable, super solid
- very ergonomic, with 2 positions: horizontal or at an angle
- a power rail with MANY connectors
- 2 power possibilities: USB or regular wall wart.

Cons:
- receded rail: you'll need longish screws.
- no protecting cover for transporting a patched patch, and
- the optional bag is very tight, making it impossible not to turn knobs when sliding the mantis in or taking it out
[EDIT: apparently there is a new soft case, that opens like a suitcase, and seems to solve these last two points]
- some shallow zones, where thick modules become problematic
How do you power the Mantis with USB? Is it a separate USB B adapter to 15v barrel adapter? I would love to power a Mantis case directly with USB C or similar.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by continuum » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am

TheNthMan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 am
fredke wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:49 am
I have a Mantis.

Pros:
- super stable, super solid
- very ergonomic, with 2 positions: horizontal or at an angle
- a power rail with MANY connectors
- 2 power possibilities: USB or regular wall wart.

Cons:
- receded rail: you'll need longish screws.
- no protecting cover for transporting a patched patch, and
- the optional bag is very tight, making it impossible not to turn knobs when sliding the mantis in or taking it out
[EDIT: apparently there is a new soft case, that opens like a suitcase, and seems to solve these last two points]
- some shallow zones, where thick modules become problematic
How do you power the Mantis with USB? Is it a separate USB B adapter to 15v barrel adapter? I would love to power a Mantis case directly with USB C or similar.
Mantis cannot be powered from USB. The second connector on Mantis is for Syncbus but the cables were never made due to lack of demand.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

User avatar
TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:50 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by TheRosskonian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:08 am

a773 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:57 am
Nano rand won’t fit, rails press on the side of the button, making it stick. Found an ok position at some point, but at the current location it won’t fit at all...
You have to file the button down on the side that rubs again the rails. I did it a while ago, do not remember the details, but I don't believe I even had to take the module apart to do this. Once you do this, the button should work with no friction on the rails.

User avatar
a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 am
Location: Copenhagen/Denmark
Contact:

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by a773 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 am

scarkord wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am
Here's how I stack my three Mantis...

Image
How do you keep the top one from falling forwards?

User avatar
WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:35 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by WMDevices » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm

bago wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:36 pm
Most of my newer WMD modules are hard to fit due to there big PCBs. The newest one (crater) doesn‘t fit at all in any spot or position. I also tried to file down the top and bottom of the PCB, but it still won’t fit.
You should be able to loosen the mantis rails from the side, and that will get them spaced out a bit more.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”