Tiptop Mantis cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by continuum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am

I can't say how deep it would need to be without having the models done. Our MechE is currently busy with other projects right now so it will be a while until we get back to more stands.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am

What´s best practice when using multiple mantis cases? Especially with cross patching between cases? I think of places where ground hum could creep in and how to avoid that. While a monster case sounds tempting, it´s not so tempting for travel :)
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

scarkord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scarkord » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am

a773 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 am
scarkord wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am
Here's how I stack my three Mantis...
How do you keep the top one from falling forwards?
The legs are just in their usual upright position, and stood on two brackets either side of the grey MDF panels.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am
What´s best practice when using multiple mantis cases? Especially with cross patching between cases? I think of places where ground hum could creep in and how to avoid that. While a monster case sounds tempting, it´s not so tempting for travel :)
I asked the same question when I got my second. Never had an issue with hum.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm

I've never had a problem with noise patching between cases and I have 4 including a Mantis
if i remember correctly if they are all powered the same power power strip then patching a cable between the cases forms a common ground - but I might be mistaken and if so I'm sure someone can correct me - as I said never had any problems anyway
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:00 pm

scarkord wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am
The legs are just in their usual upright position, and stood on two brackets either side of the grey MDF panels.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand. Any chance you could post a photo or two??.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am
I'm running 2 Mantis cases and 1 Intellijel Performance Case off a single power strip and i cross-patch between them all the time and haven't gotten hum.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Good news, keeping my fingers crossed it will be the same here ;)
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Anyone power one of these from a battery pack yet?

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am

Chaklack wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm
Anyone power one of these from a battery pack yet?
Yes, check our Mantis support page for more info on battery packs and what to buy:

http://tiptopaudio.com/support/
Look for a power bank that can supply a voltage anywhere between +13V to +15V DC, 13V will be ideal, 15V is also ok if you are not using more than 2000mA total. Look for one that has an output 2.5mm barrel plug with a positive (+) center pin. As for the current capacity, this is based on your system power consumption vs. the power bank power capacity. It is recommended that you contact the power bank maker directly and give them your details such as the total power your system needs (all power rails summed together +12V -12V +5V) and the voltage range +13V to +15V. With these details they will be able to tell you how long you will be able to run your system and if there are any other issues to be aware of. A Tiptop user (Thank you Daniele) has positively recommended the Aceyoon Power Bank 50000 mAh. This model comes with DC output plugs and can deliver 15V, this power bank is available through Ebay and the European Amazon online store. Be careful to set the power bank to 15V or 13V voltage before connecting it to Mantis, as higher voltages will burn Mantis’ power regulation circuit and create excessive heat and smoke, please take caution.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

fredke
Common Wiggler

Post by fredke » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 pm

continuum wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am
Mantis cannot be powered from USB. The second connector on Mantis is for Syncbus but the cables were never made due to lack of demand.
Duely noted.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 pm

I'm looking for a 13v power brick that's a little "beefier" than the included 3amp 13v supplied brick with the Mantis.
....maybe 3.5A or around 4A.
13volts is a difficult brick to find.
Linear power supplies are available, that have a 12v to 15v adjustment.......some high freq supplies too.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:56 pm

Fck-it.... 'm just gonna move the 1010 sampler. It's shallow enough to fit in a shallow 4MS 40hp pod sized skiff.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:07 am

Considering selling my CV Bus case and 2x MN skiffs to be replaced by 2x Mantis cases. Between these 3 cases I'm only provided with 3.8 12v which is kind of low for 416 HP.

One question I'm wondering is, how portable is one of these around the house? Does it feel safe to carry it from room to room occasionally or is the plastic slippery? I.e. should I invest in a bag just to safely take it downstairs to my living room? Right now I have my CV bus case set up to be self contained if needed and take it to the couch more often lately. I'm wondering if I'll be giving this up with the Mantis cases.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:21 am

d_imil wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:07 am
One question I'm wondering is, how portable is one of these around the house? Does it feel safe to carry it from room to room occasionally or is the plastic slippery? I.e. should I invest in a bag just to safely take it downstairs to my living room? Right now I have my CV bus case set up to be self contained if needed and take it to the couch more often lately. I'm wondering if I'll be giving this up with the Mantis cases.
Not a problem on my end. The plastic material is a bit slippery, but it is easy to carry and lightweight/forgiving on the hands (relative to some metal cases). The slightly rounded/smoothed corners on the case makes it feel more portable and less of a risk for scratching/dinging any surfaces.

Also recently picked up a deck saver lid so it’s even easier to confidently move around.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am

Hi everyone.
I am looking forward to buy the Mantis case, does anyone have a quick feedback for me?
My main question is if the modules gets too warm inside a plastic case? Any problems anyone?

Cheers

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 am

that depends on your modules and how you have them configured. you can leave space in there for modules to breathe

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 am

d_imil wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:07 am
Considering selling my CV Bus case and 2x MN skiffs to be replaced by 2x Mantis cases. Between these 3 cases I'm only provided with 3.8 12v which is kind of low for 416 HP.

I just dropped a full Mantis case last night from almost 6 ft. in the air.
It bounced :doh:
No cracks in the case :yay:
luckily it didn't hit on the face of the modules though.
Wish they had a lid.
A bag is required to take it out of the house, I have a cardboard bag.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Steven Banks wannabe.......
I am an under the influencer

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am

theres a decksaver for mantis

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:41 am

shize312 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am
Hi everyone.
I am looking forward to buy the Mantis case, does anyone have a quick feedback for me?
My main question is if the modules gets too warm inside a plastic case? Any problems anyone?

Cheers
The two mantis's I have do become warm, I don't have any area open for ventilation, but not too warm. Haven't seen any issues so far. I love the design, feels sturdy and well thought out, highly recommended.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:24 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:41 am
shize312 wrote:
Hi everyone.

Cheers
The two mantis's I have do become warm, I don't have any area open for ventilation, but not too warm. Haven't seen any issues so far. I love the design, feels sturdy and well thought out, highly recommended.
Thank you very much for all the feedback. I've just ordered it and now can't wait!

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 am

shize312 wrote:
Hi everyone.

Cheers
I came to second all of this. Though I can feel the warmth radiating through the panels of modules placed over the upper-right corner, it's never created any problems. I bought both of my cases used and I sometimes let them run powered for over an hour. So far, I've not had any issues at all with the cases themselves. One of them even arrived with all the big power supply capacitors bent upwards, but I was able to simply bend them back down by hand over their designated outlines and had no problems as a result.
----------
That said, I'd like to know if there's anything particularly unsafe/lifespan-shortening (for the cases or the supply) about switching them on from the same switchable power strip, as opposed to turning on my power strip, then toggling the Mantis cases on individually. I have mine both plugged into the front outputs of a Pyle PCO860 rack mount power supply. I've powered my Mackie mixer and 1Spot from the power supply this way for years with no troubles (the mixer only because the switch is a bit difficult to reach), but I'd like some opinions all the same. Powering from the strip would be purely a matter of convenience, so I can live without it.

I do have several things connected which either power on automatically by design, or which I keep toggled to the on position out of convenience: Mackie mixer, Visual Sound 1Spot, Walrus Audio Phoenix (and pedals + plus whatever is plugged into the aux. power of the Phoenix. Usually an Alesis Ineko), Alesis Akira, plus whatever is always passively drawing current in standby mode when plugged into a power supply (Sony MD recorder, for instance).
useless

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:27 am

funeralcake wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 am

That said, I'd like to know if there's anything particularly unsafe/lifespan-shortening (for the cases or the supply) about switching them on from the same switchable power strip, as opposed to turning on my power strip, then toggling the Mantis cases on individually. I have mine both plugged into the front outputs of a Pyle PCO860 rack mount power supply. I've powered my Mackie mixer and 1Spot from the power supply this way for years with no troubles (the mixer only because the switch is a bit difficult to reach), but I'd like some opinions all the same. Powering from the strip would be purely a matter of convenience, so I can live without it.
As long as you are not exceeding the power limit of the rack mount supply or the circuit breaker of the outlet there will be no difference in using the Mantis switch or an external one. In some cases you may need to delay switching on certain things like power amps if the power on current draw exceeds the circuit capacity or causes significant over/under voltage. Some larger power conditioners even have timers for this purpose.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:09 am

funeralcake wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 am
shize312 wrote:
Hi everyone.

Cheers
I came to second all of this. Though I can feel the warmth radiating through the panels of modules placed over the upper-right corner, it's never created any problems. I bought both of my cases used and I sometimes let them run powered for over an hour. So far, I've not had any issues at all with the cases themselves. One of them even arrived with all the big power supply capacitors bent upwards, but I was able to simply bend them back down by hand over their designated outlines and had no problems as a result.
----------

I do have several things connected which either power on automatically by design, or which I keep toggled to the on position out of convenience: Mackie mixer, Visual Sound 1Spot, Walrus Audio Phoenix (and pedals + plus whatever is plugged into the aux. power of the Phoenix. Usually an Alesis Ineko), Alesis Akira, plus whatever is always passively drawing current in standby mode when plugged into a power supply (Sony MD recorder, for instance).
In my experience it's absolutely fine switching them on at the wall. I used to have mine arranged so that the power switch on one was inaccessible. Not a Mantis, but I still power on my current rack from the wall and no issues. Of course, I've just jinxed myself now... :deadbanana:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:56 am

Cheers. I suspected as much, but it's reassuring to have it confirmed by someone who more fully comprehends this sort of thing.
useless

Return to “Eurorack Modules”