Tiptop Mantis cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tiptop Mantis cases

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am

continuum wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am
Mantis cannot be powered from USB. The second connector on Mantis is for Syncbus but the cables were never made due to lack of demand.
Can the same bus be used for the Select Bus protocol? It's the same pin-out, no?

Also, any chance you're planning for another bracket design that would accommodate three cases? A few photos so far seem to showcase it could be done. The angles allow it. I'd definitely consider a third Mantis if that becomes an option.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am
continuum wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am
Mantis cannot be powered from USB. The second connector on Mantis is for Syncbus but the cables were never made due to lack of demand.
Can the same bus be used for the Select Bus protocol? It's the same pin-out, no?
Not sure about Select Bus, but the cables for connecting the cases are expensive to make and there are no plans to produce them.
Also, any chance you're planning for another bracket design that would accommodate three cases? A few photos so far seem to showcase it could be done. The angles allow it. I'd definitely consider a third Mantis if that becomes an option.
Three high might be a stretch since the rear legs for supporting three Mantis would be pretty deep and would require a lot of space.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 am

continuum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 am
Not sure about Select Bus, but the cables for connecting the cases are expensive to make and there are no plans to produce them.
If there's any chance that it works with Select Bus then it's worth the investigation, as it's a common protocol and it would be a good selling point for the cases and the cables. But if the R&D for the cables and the end-cost is too high, maybe it's not worth the effort to begin with. Very understandable.
Three high might be a stretch since the rear legs for supporting three Mantis would be pretty deep and would require a lot of space.
Humor me if you will, what would be the depth? It doesn't seem like something that wouldn't be worth it in a studio situation. My 2 cents, of course, but looking at the photos so far I do believe it would be a viable solution and it would support the sales of more cases!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am

I can't say how deep it would need to be without having the models done. Our MechE is currently busy with other projects right now so it will be a while until we get back to more stands.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am

What´s best practice when using multiple mantis cases? Especially with cross patching between cases? I think of places where ground hum could creep in and how to avoid that. While a monster case sounds tempting, it´s not so tempting for travel :)
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

scarkord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scarkord » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am

a773 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 am
scarkord wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 am
Here's how I stack my three Mantis...
How do you keep the top one from falling forwards?
The legs are just in their usual upright position, and stood on two brackets either side of the grey MDF panels.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am
What´s best practice when using multiple mantis cases? Especially with cross patching between cases? I think of places where ground hum could creep in and how to avoid that. While a monster case sounds tempting, it´s not so tempting for travel :)
I asked the same question when I got my second. Never had an issue with hum.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm

I've never had a problem with noise patching between cases and I have 4 including a Mantis
if i remember correctly if they are all powered the same power power strip then patching a cable between the cases forms a common ground - but I might be mistaken and if so I'm sure someone can correct me - as I said never had any problems anyway
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:00 pm

scarkord wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 am
The legs are just in their usual upright position, and stood on two brackets either side of the grey MDF panels.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand. Any chance you could post a photo or two??.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am
I'm running 2 Mantis cases and 1 Intellijel Performance Case off a single power strip and i cross-patch between them all the time and haven't gotten hum.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Good news, keeping my fingers crossed it will be the same here ;)
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Anyone power one of these from a battery pack yet?

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am

Chaklack wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm
Anyone power one of these from a battery pack yet?
Yes, check our Mantis support page for more info on battery packs and what to buy:

http://tiptopaudio.com/support/
Look for a power bank that can supply a voltage anywhere between +13V to +15V DC, 13V will be ideal, 15V is also ok if you are not using more than 2000mA total. Look for one that has an output 2.5mm barrel plug with a positive (+) center pin. As for the current capacity, this is based on your system power consumption vs. the power bank power capacity. It is recommended that you contact the power bank maker directly and give them your details such as the total power your system needs (all power rails summed together +12V -12V +5V) and the voltage range +13V to +15V. With these details they will be able to tell you how long you will be able to run your system and if there are any other issues to be aware of. A Tiptop user (Thank you Daniele) has positively recommended the Aceyoon Power Bank 50000 mAh. This model comes with DC output plugs and can deliver 15V, this power bank is available through Ebay and the European Amazon online store. Be careful to set the power bank to 15V or 13V voltage before connecting it to Mantis, as higher voltages will burn Mantis’ power regulation circuit and create excessive heat and smoke, please take caution.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”