Tiptop Mantis vs. Blue Lantern case

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

narf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by narf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:24 am

Hello!

I'm having a little bit of trouble deciding which case to buy for my first modular. :doh: :help:

Mantis ($335)
pros: looks cool, multiple angles, enough for my current needs, cheaper, new (retail), 104hp
cons: only 6u, plastic?

Blue lantern ($390)
pros: metallic finish--better?, 9u, not much more expensive than the mantis
cons: only one way to set the case down, used, only 84hp

As of now I think 6u will be enough because I already have a phenol with all the bread-n-butter components, but from what I've read here it's mostly a better idea to get a larger case.

Might be buying tomorrow so I'd appreciate feedback now :banana: :nana:

Here are some pix:

Blue Lantern 9u

TipTop Mantis

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 pm

Plastic is less of a CON than you think actually, and I would trust the Tip Top power specs well before anything Blue Lantern. Also you should consider what will fit better with your desk and workflow. I wouldn't intended to travel with either system though the BL has a handle the Mantis looks more manageable under an arm.

narf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by narf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Looks like its going to be a tiptop

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:24 am

I have the Blue lantern case in 6U and I love it, the mantis is sweet too, I couldn't advise either way they are both nice cases..

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:25 am

Robscorch wrote:Plastic is less of a CON than you think actually, and I would trust the Tip Top power specs well before anything Blue Lantern. Also you should consider what will fit better with your desk and workflow. I wouldn't intended to travel with either system though the BL has a handle the Mantis looks more manageable under an arm.
nothing wrong with Blue lantern power supply, mine has been banging on perfectly, full case or a couple of modules, never had a moments problem with it..

IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler

Post by IntervoxOptima » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:24 am

from what I've read here it's mostly a better idea to get a larger case.
That depends on how deeply you want fall down the rabbit hole I guess 8-)

I only have an 84hp 7u Synthrotek case and it's been a costly endeavor, but well worth it. I initially bought a Buchla Music Easel to avoid the slippery slope of Eurorack but that didn't pan out too well in the end haha!

Either way you choose welcome to the world of Eurorack and may you find your voice (voices) quickly!

david_r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by david_r » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:28 am

Vote for Mantis here. Wish it was around when I started out.

IntervoxOptima
Common Wiggler

Post by IntervoxOptima » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:30 am

Truth be told I also added a 54hp lunchbox and a 104hp skiff, so bigger may be better depending on your needs. I've already considered another 7u Synthrotek case and have one sorted out on Modular Grid. Aaagh my bank account is a slave to the modular world :moneyburn: :moneyburn:

david_r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by david_r » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:37 am

IntervoxOptima wrote:Truth be told I also added a 54hp lunchbox and a 104hp skiff, so bigger may be better depending on your needs. I've already considered another 7u Synthrotek case and have one sorted out on Modular Grid. Aaagh my bank account is a slave to the modular world :moneyburn: :moneyburn:
I love the water proof Synthrotek cases. A bit on the expensive side considering the other options available but worth the $$ in my opinion. I have 3 of the 7U 84 HP and 1 of the 104 HP. Super solid and easy to travel with.

narf
Learning to Wiggle

update

Post by narf » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Just a quick update: I went with the mantis--everyone recommended it. Once seeing the blue lantern in person, however, it did feel very sturdy and the aluminum material was rock solid. I think the main thing was that I didn't like the aesthetics of it and also that people seemed to be more trustworthy of the tip-top electronic components (power supply).

It's bee less than a week and I already have my first two modules :) two more will be on their way later this week, purchased from members here!

thanks for the feedback

technomania
Common Wiggler

6u

Post by technomania » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:37 pm

That 6u will fill up quick!

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: update

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:57 pm

narf wrote:Just a quick update: I went with the mantis--everyone recommended it. Once seeing the blue lantern in person, however, it did feel very sturdy and the aluminum material was rock solid. I think the main thing was that I didn't like the aesthetics of it and also that people seemed to be more trustworthy of the tip-top electronic components (power supply).

It's bee less than a week and I already have my first two modules :) two more will be on their way later this week, purchased from members here!

thanks for the feedback
that power supply stuff is pure bulldust, who starts these silly rumors ffs..??

Nofrenchtests
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nofrenchtests » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Fiddlestickz wrote:
narf wrote:Just a quick update: I went with the mantis--everyone recommended it. Once seeing the blue lantern in person, however, it did feel very sturdy and the aluminum material was rock solid. I think the main thing was that I didn't like the aesthetics of it and also that people seemed to be more trustworthy of the tip-top electronic components (power supply).

thanks for the feedback
Because, unlike some other instances, Blue Lantern was run out of here for using openly available (but not open source) schematics and modifying them to create his own circuits. Ever since, it has been hard for them to get a foothold in the euro game on here. Power supplies are also a touchy subject here, and I believe with good reason - if you haven't done all of the tests that people here require to put faith in your products, if you can't show evidence of it, people are going to be distrustful. Tiptop has a long history of solid power supplies, Blue Lantern? I didn't even know they did full cases+supplies.

jpkelley123
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jpkelley123 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:51 am

Excited for my Mantis case!

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Fiddlestickz wrote:

thanks for the feedback
Ya........ I have a 6u BLM case. It's good. It's annoying when people make shit up.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:16 pm

To be fair I don't think they were necessarily criticizing blue lantern in particular. For power needs I would trust tiptop before many many other manufacturers in eurorack.

Made In Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Made In Machines » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:30 am

I quite like the mantis design and the price but I'm really not sure about plastic. I kind of expect better when paying over £300 for a case but i know eurorack cases are expensive. What kind of plastic is it? Is it tough and thick or quite brittle and thin? Does it bend in places? Would it crack f you dropped or is it more like a tough suitcase type of plastic?

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 am

Made In Machines wrote:I quite like the mantis design and the price but I'm really not sure about plastic. I kind of expect better when paying over £300 for a case but i know eurorack cases are expensive. What kind of plastic is it? Is it tough and thick or quite brittle and thin? Does it bend in places? Would it crack f you dropped or is it more like a tough suitcase type of plastic?
Plenty thick / solid feeling. Feels really sturdy but not heavy.

Dropping... That's hard to say, but it's definitely solid. Not much will stand up to dropping besides a flight case, and even then it depends on the drop.

(I'd be more worried about the modules themselves in a drop...)

Made In Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Made In Machines » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks. It's between that and the Doepfer Low cost 6u VE for me. I was thinking of going for a nice solid oak or walnut by synthracks uk but it's going to end up costing double so I don't know

Jehos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jehos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Made In Machines wrote:Thanks. It's between that and the Doepfer Low cost 6u VE for me. I was thinking of going for a nice solid oak or walnut by synthracks uk but it's going to end up costing double so I don't know
Mantis looks better, is cheaper, and is probably harder to damage by banging it into something. Plus the 45 degree angle is awesome.

I'm probably buying a second one very soon.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:00 pm

What you might want to consider in this scenario is power. The Mantis is overpowered IMO unless your throwing some Metasonix modules in there. That's a good thing! Consider what you want to put in your rack and make a mock up on modular grid. If the blue lantern rack has the power you need for your planned modules then go with it. On the other hand you're almost definitely not going to run into power shortages with the Mantis. The Mantis has enough power to supply another 84hp in most scenarios.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

skeller047
Common Wiggler

Post by skeller047 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 am

Dragonaut wrote:What you might want to consider in this scenario is power. The Mantis is overpowered IMO unless your throwing some Metasonix modules in there. That's a good thing! Consider what you want to put in your rack and make a mock up on modular grid. If the blue lantern rack has the power you need for your planned modules then go with it. On the other hand you're almost definitely not going to run into power shortages with the Mantis. The Mantis has enough power to supply another 84hp in most scenarios.
I don't think the Mantis is overpowered... ADEQUATELY powered, absolutely, but when planning the layout for mine I noted that the bottom row was light on -12V power. I had to make sure to plug some of the bottom row modules into the top two zones. I put a lot of 4HP and 6HP modules in mine, so that may be part of the issue, but planning where you plug things is a must.

norde
Common Wiggler

Post by norde » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Mantis due to design reasons...

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 pm

skeller047 wrote:
Dragonaut wrote:What you might want to consider in this scenario is power. The Mantis is overpowered IMO unless your throwing some Metasonix modules in there. That's a good thing! Consider what you want to put in your rack and make a mock up on modular grid. If the blue lantern rack has the power you need for your planned modules then go with it. On the other hand you're almost definitely not going to run into power shortages with the Mantis. The Mantis has enough power to supply another 84hp in most scenarios.
I don't think the Mantis is overpowered... ADEQUATELY powered, absolutely, but when planning the layout for mine I noted that the bottom row was light on -12V power. I had to make sure to plug some of the bottom row modules into the top two zones. I put a lot of 4HP and 6HP modules in mine, so that may be part of the issue, but planning where you plug things is a must.
Yeah, perhaps I was being a little over zealous. Leaves a lot on the -12 rail for me.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”