1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by Funky40 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:28 pm

when i set here pads to "toggle" and for example "Trim" a sample,
will the trigger/toggle setting be reverted to "trigger".
also if i´d change the pads mode.

maybe do you deal with a similar problem ? just the other way around
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Fri May 29, 2020 5:03 am

Thinking of swapping out my squid Salmple for a bitbox. Can someone confirm that I can have a large file (3 minutes or something) with slices to make a bunch of loops on a single cell? And how is the sound quality?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:03 am
Can someone confirm that I can have a large file (3 minutes or something) with slices to make a bunch of loops on a single cell? And how is the sound quality?
Confirmed. And the sound quality is good. You have some usual latency, and setting up the loops to adress them with slices will take a bit of time.

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Fri May 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Here is a short example of the new Granular mode for the old Bitbox, the new granular implementation
is pretty good imo. I actually know a bit about granular, having designed a granular synth in the past, interestingly.

Nothing fancy, just the typical dronish granular sound (my guitar with hvy distortion), processed through the Magneto. A good reverb is
a huge part of the granular thing as it often sounds naked without it. Some more modulation and actual
control of the grain envelope's attack and release would be beneficial to an otherwise great implementation.

Last edited by pekbro on Sat May 30, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:51 pm

i never used the slice mode, but would like to play with sample chains in my BB,

now: do i have to make my sliced files all by hand in the bitbox ? ( which is not what i´d gonna go to do, i fear)
or can i load some upfront prepared samples ?
in that case: would i just have to add some markers in my audio editor ? ( hope, i´m not asking it the second time ? )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri May 29, 2020 10:11 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:51 pm
i never used the slice mode, but would like to play with sample chains in my BB,

now: do i have to make my sliced files all by hand in the bitbox ? ( which is not what i´d gonna go to do, i fear)
or can i load some upfront prepared samples ?
in that case: would i just have to add some markers in my audio editor ? ( hope, i´m not asking it the second time ? )
the auto slicing on the bitbox is not especially accurate, you might get 1-2 ms latency (maybe more) on top of the latency of the module itself. you can zoom in and change the slices by hand though, but it takes more time than with a mouse i'd think.

So yeah load up in your audio editor, zoom in on every slice as much as you can, you will not be accurate unless you do. Then add the marker (M in soundforge, not sure about other programs).

I often add a bit of fade out and sometimes very, very slight fade in, depending on if im slicing a loop or if i'm just adding a bunch of files i want to be able to access from my Voltage Block. remember that the last slice will need a marker at the end, otherwise it will not play.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:11 pm
So yeah load up in your audio editor,
ok, i will give it a try

.....hate it to sit down on the editor doing this things.
so a little push is very welcome ;)

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:28 am

need help:

so i begun to incorporate my bitbox into my modular setup ( as inititially planned) by recordings loops from my modular.
But the recorded samples are VERY low in vloume ?
First i have to crank the Volume on the sample page to +12db.....plus boosting it afterwards with a doepfer gainstage/booster.

Is this normal ?

i record from an aux send of my mixer, so i have quite good control with how much Gain i´m feeding the Bitbox.
But i have to leave a bit of a headroom to avoid cliping ( anyway since the visual feedback of the in-Gain is less "telling" then wished )

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun May 31, 2020 12:54 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:28 am

Is this normal ?
I‘d say yes. Every time I use my bitbox I also have issues with the volume being too low. It’s probably the quietest module in my whole collection. And yes, it‘s fully digital and without headroom, so you need to play safe. And amplify.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:06 pm

dbeats wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:54 pm
I‘d say yes.
ok, Thank you.
i´ll see how i come around this.

i had once a Compressor set up to work for my aux sends.
Guess i have to put again a comp into my aux 1+2 which go to my modular.
Its anyway a good idea to do so, finally ;)
At least this will help to use the given bandwith of the bitbox better

( so i suspect the Blackbox has the same oboard level setup ? )

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 am

I never use my Bitbox for sampling, i don't see the point if you also have a DAW + if you also want to edit the loop afterwards in an editor, just more cumbersome to deal with bitbox then your computer.

Most likely you will get better sound quality if you just record the .wav like normal with the DAW.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 am
I never use my Bitbox for sampling, i don't see the point if you also have a DAW
I see your point ;) but some folks want to keep the computer out.
and some *anyway* when doing the modular thing ;)

i started btw. yesterday doing with the BB what i had in mind when i purchased it:
grabbing loops from the modular in "xy Bar lenghts" beeing in sync with the system.

Long alert:
you can grab loops from your patch quickly on the fly. works like a charm.
It would never be the same "for me" doing same in the DAW !
i would do it then "all better", ....begins with: taking long passages, ........which i had to cut afterwards,
....which often leads to the problem that i don´t know where the upbeat (the 1) is.
respectivly do i often accidentally change the position in the loop where i cut ....../ this all ends up so quickly in just beeing work and feeling like work........ but not like "music making".

the Bitbox is perfect to go all on the fly. At least now, since it was updated.
Things to note:
(again:) the BB starts now in its last state, same project !
we got a reset on the beatcount when hitting "start" again on your clock master.
the renaming dialog allows for a undestructive "backspace" ( VERY important to me!!)

so i can quickly grab a set of allready "cut to Bar" samples, even name and rename them, and use them on the fly.
plus there are several uses (in a modular) where one just would want to grab " a loop" *on the quick* for further experiments........( the BB suits perfectly for that task)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:39 am

I can see how it could be fun to use it on the fly (i'll give that a shot..). Like i said, i mean if you're intending to edit the loop in the computer anyways, then it seems a bit unnecessary to sample with it, but since you aren't i understand.

keef321
Common Wiggler

Post by keef321 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 am
I never use my Bitbox for sampling, i don't see the point if you also have a DAW
I see your point ;) but some folks want to keep the computer out.
and some *anyway* when doing the modular thing ;)

i started btw. yesterday doing with the BB what i had in mind when i purchased it:
grabbing loops from the modular in "xy Bar lenghts" beeing in sync with the system.

Long alert:
It would never be the same "for me" doing same in the DAW !
i would do it then "all better", ....begins with: taking long passages, ........which i had to cut afterwards,
....which often leads to the problem that i don´t know where the upbeat (the 1) is.
respectivly do i often accidentally change the position in the loop where i cut ....../ this all ends up so quickly in just beeing work and feeling like work........ but not like "music making".

the Bitbox is perfect to go all on the fly. At least now, since it was updated.
Things to note:
(again:) the BB starts now in its last state, same project !
we got a reset on the beatcount when hitting "start" again on your clock master.
the renaming dialog allows for a undestructive "backspace" ( VERY important to me!!)

so i can quickly grab a set of allready "cut to Bar" samples, even name and rename them, and use them on the fly.
plus there are several uses (in a modular) where one just would want to grab " a loop" *on the quick* for further experiments........( the BB suits perfectly for that task)
Hi Funky40,

To clarify, are you saying that the BB is NOT good for grabbing loops from the modular in 'xy bar lengths' being in sync with the system?

I am planning on buying either the Bitbox or the BBMicro so that I can grab loops (providing a clock in to keep in sync), and play them back in sync.

Keith

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:27 pm

keef321 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:16 pm
Hi Funky40,
To clarify, are you saying that the BB is NOT good for grabbing loops from the modular in 'xy bar lengths' being in sync with the system?
read this:
Funky40 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 am

BB is perfect for this.
but i can´t comment how precise it is ( if there is a short latency etc. )

i made tests yesterday and had the original sequenze (loop) from my modular running, going to my mixing desk,
AND the recorded loop from the BB, and could switch the chanells on the desk and all was sounding good. (edited)
....without pressing "play" at any time.
just doing pre-settings, then hit record. nothing more

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:27 pm
BB is perfect for this.
but i can´t comment how precise it is ( if there is a short latency etc. )
From my experience, bitbox has about 8ms of latency monitoring the output/recording versus the input signal which is ok but not great. When you play back a loop it is usually another 4ms off per loop repeat, except if you quantize to an external or internal clock, in that case there is practically no offset, and you can repeat the loop literally forever.

keef321
Common Wiggler

Post by keef321 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks Funky40 and dbeats. I will quantize with a clock, so sounds like all is good :-)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Had the bitbox for a long time but i've vever tried quantizing it with a clock i believe (hmm maybe when i first got it, can't remember)..

How does that work again? Does it work in Slice mode or is it for some other mode?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:14 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Had the bitbox for a long time but i've vever tried quantizing it with a clock i believe (hmm maybe when i first got it, can't remember)..

How does that work again? Does it work in Slice mode or is it for some other mode?
Quantizing can happen during recording (if recorded in bitbox) and during playback (only in clip mode). So you probably never used it for your way of utilizing bitbox. Firing One-Shot samples in Sample Mode or Slice Mode doesn't need quantizing, IMO.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 am

dbeats wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:14 am

Quantizing can happen during recording (if recorded in bitbox) and during playback (only in clip mode). So you probably never used it for your way of utilizing bitbox. Firing One-Shot samples in Sample Mode or Slice Mode doesn't need quantizing, IMO.
Ok, good to know. Thanks!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”