1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by studio460 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:35 pm

For the only spent (I got a second Bitbox on a super-killer Sweetwater deal), I am super f'ing happy with my Bitbox v2 and fxbox as-is. Would it be nice if it did X, Y, or Z? I guess so, but both products as-released are super-products in my book. They both do exactly what I bought them for, and am really, really pleased with both.
ImageImageImageImage

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 am

rayultine wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:04 am
I love how Aaron of 1010music is suddenly surprised on his own forum that people would want to import multisamples into the bitbox, and he has no idea about how to do that easily.
I spent a whole weekend trying to get the wav metadata shit working for velocity multisamples using the wav standard and the fields bitbox claims to support. Finally posted asking for a known working sample using the metadata to examine or wondering if maybe the feature doesn't work.... They assured me it works but could not provide a test wav in the correct format..... How do you know it works without tests???

I gave up. I ended up making slices and using velocity for slice selection but it didn't seem to like the long files and would pop and crackle out so I gave up on those too.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:58 pm

How many sources can the Bitbox and Bitbox Micro record simultaneously? I see 8 mono inputs?

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:58 pm
How many sources can the Bitbox and Bitbox Micro record simultaneously? I see 8 mono inputs?
Bitbox has two inputs and can only record a single stereo or mono sample at a time.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:58 pm
If you are looking to multitrack in the same form factor (albeit, as a stand-alone unit), 1010 Music's Bluebox can record up to 6 stereo or 12 mono tracks (or any combination thereof) simultaneously.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:35 am

I am trying to figure out if I can "mix in" external audio into my bitbox - not via samples but just playing another voice through the bitbox.

Does anyone know?

Niche usecase but I want to pack a couple of modules into a small case and want to figure out if I can do without a mixer!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 am

scragz wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 am
rayultine wrote:
I love how Aaron of 1010music is suddenly surprised on his own forum that people would want to import multisamples into the bitbox, and he has no idea about how to do that easily.
I spent a whole weekend trying to get the wav metadata shit working for velocity multisamples using the wav standard and the fields bitbox claims to support. Finally posted asking for a known working sample using the metadata to examine or wondering if maybe the feature doesn't work.... They assured me it works but could not provide a test wav in the correct format..... How do you know it works without tests???

I gave up. I ended up making slices and using velocity for slice selection but it didn't seem to like the long files and would pop and crackle out so I gave up on those too.
Wouldn't it be possible to create a multisample using the on-board process and then check its metadata?

Crap. I was hoping I'd be able to use Reaper to make multisamples on the computer and import them on the Micro.

Also, anybody else having severe issues with crackling at even medium polyphony? I'm on the latest firmware and have set up limits to polyphony per pad to 8, but I get crackling (the unbearable-freaking-the-LEDs-out kind) even with just two pads at a total if 16 notes possible polyphony.

It could be a multisample issue!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Spacelordmother
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spacelordmother » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 am

enno wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:35 am
I am trying to figure out if I can "mix in" external audio into my bitbox - not via samples but just playing another voice through the bitbox.

Does anyone know?

Niche usecase but I want to pack a couple of modules into a small case and want to figure out if I can do without a mixer!
You can monitor the live inputs on channel 1 and 2, so -- yup!

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 am

Spacelordmother wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 am
enno wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:35 am

Does anyone know?

You can monitor the live inputs on channel 1 and 2, so -- yup!
I tried that but didn’t get it to work - what settings do I need for that? Thanks for your help!!

Spacelordmother
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spacelordmother » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 am

Set your inputs to audio under the tools menu. Then from the recording screen set "REC MON" to ON.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 am
scragz wrote:
rayultine wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to create a multisample using the on-board process and then check its metadata?

Crap. I was hoping I'd be able to use Reaper to make multisamples on the computer and import them on the Micro.
PP - Aaron has clearly specified the necessary metadata and formatting. It just can't be manually or automatically done in a DAW like Reaper. You have to bounce to an audio editing software like Audacity or Sound Forge. Blehhh

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 am

Spacelordmother wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 am
Set your inputs to audio under the tools menu. Then from the recording screen set "REC MON" to ON.
Hero - thanks!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:17 pm

rayultine wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am
scragz wrote:
rayultine wrote:

PP - Aaron has clearly specified the necessary metadata and formatting. It just can't be manually or automatically done in a DAW like Reaper. You have to bounce to an audio editing software like Audacity or Sound Forge. Blehhh
Scripting it on Reaper would habe been too easy! Any link to the requirements? I'll try Audacity, thankfully it's the other audio software in my computer.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:29 pm

rayultine wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am
scragz wrote:
rayultine wrote:

Pretty sure the way it works on bitbox created multisamples is with XML files in the presets. I only have OG Bitbox so I can't look at what the created multisamples are to copy off that. I tried hitting New Multi -> Rec and it just crashes the whole OS.

They clearly specified the metadata but I made samples in the correct format and it doesn't seem like bitbox reads the velocity values for single note velocity multisamples even though it says it should.

Those inst chunks are pretty obscure parts of the spec and when they are used it's usually for splitting up the notes, not velocity.

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Bitbox mk1, latest firmware here. Having some trouble trying to figure out how to record loops in sync with a clock from Pamela's New Workout. My recordings don't loop beautifully like in the video demo. They aren't cut to the right length (say, 2 bars).

Here's how I have it set up:
- PNW is sending a steady gate at x16 to Bitbox clock input.
- Bitbox recording to one of the slots. Length: 2 bars, Rec Quant: 1 bar (I've tried 1/2, 1/4 etc).
- Hit record, it does its counting and stops recording. The loop is there, but it's something like 20% longer than 2 bars and doesn't loop nicely.

No doubt this is user error. What am I doing wrong? Wrong clock? Wrong settings?

Thanks in advance.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:06 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm
If you are looking to multitrack in the same form factor (albeit, as a stand-alone unit), 1010 Music's Bluebox can record up to 6 stereo or 12 mono tracks (or any combination thereof) simultaneously.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm going for. A shame the Bluebox isn't eurorack.

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Here's a follow up to my previous investigation...

After a bit of head scratching I've managed to get it all working. I am now able to record perfect loops which are in sync with each other.

What's changed:
- Pamela's New Workout set to PPQN: 04
- PNW set to output a gate at x1 (instead of x16)
- New FAT32 formatted 32GB microSD SanDisk card (before I had a 128GB Samsung card, exFAT)

I can now record 2 bars, quantized to 1 bar. Sync is great.

Perhaps this will be useful to someone else unable to sync to analog clock.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:17 pm

Anyone that owns a Micro wish they had the MK2 instead? Vice versa? Trying to decide between the two and it is hard.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am

I'm on the MK2.
For me the main "pro" is the large screen, very nice to navigate, particularly when chopping up samples
On the other hand, I rarely use more than 8 samples for playback. So in that respect I could have saved some money and HP and gone with the micro.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:57 am

My BB Micro runs pretty hot. It eats power, which probably accounts for the heat. It seems like heat is distributing throughout the case, which is probably what you'd want to happen. Has anyone experienced overheating?

Other than wondering about this - I'm new to digital modules - I love it. Easy to record and playback and fits in perfectly.

tuttle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tuttle » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm

I read that lowering the screen brightness reduces power consumption. I did that with mine when I got it and it doesn't get excessively hot. I'd be interested to know if it makes a difference.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:58 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm
I read that lowering the screen brightness reduces power consumption. I did that with mine when I got it and it doesn't get excessively hot. I'd be interested to know if it makes a difference.
Thanks! I'll try that. I just moved it from a Palette case to a 4MS pod and it seems not to run as hot in there.

I'd have preferred a Blackbox, but if I had a spare £500 I'd probably live somewhere more comfortable... :hihi:

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:18 am

rayultine wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:36 am
The mk2 and mikro have been out since April 2020, and there's absolutely no "here's the workflow for accomplishing x" on the site or forum.
This is one of the things that frustrated me about BB Mk2, that and the fact that there is no MIDI out pushed me to possibly sell it. I am multi-sampling with Disting EX and going to be using an Assimil8or for sampling duties soon (plus wavetable synthesis). I love the concept of Bitbox/Synthbox though. I wish Mk 2 could be more like Blackbox (MIDI out, built in sequencer, etc), but I can understand them not wanting to cannibalize their product line.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”