1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

shanebroderick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shanebroderick » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Okay, I guess I am confused by this part...
"Play up to 16 simultaneous samples from internal memory or up to 4 samples directly from microSD."

If I want to play 16 simultaneous samples from internal memory... what is my storage limitation?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:01 pm

shanebroderick wrote:Okay, I guess I am confused by this part...
"Play up to 16 simultaneous samples from internal memory or up to 4 samples directly from microSD."

If I want to play 16 simultaneous samples from internal memory... what is my storage limitation?
64MB, so plenty.

I have 25+ drum samples in my Sonic Potions LXR... the max size of all samples is 490kb...

you will not trigger 16 drum voices at the exact same time either, that's the limitation i guess, that if you want 16 voice polyphony it would need to be loaded from its RAM, as i take it. But i don't know, i've not run into any limitations with it as a drum machine. My current setup is 16 drum sounds, some very long (crashes and cymbals).

DruidTek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DruidTek » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:58 am

The "streaming 4 samples from the micro SD card" quote refers to playback of very long samples, i.e. if they're an hour long, you can only stream four of them at once. If you're using short drum hits you can load .wav files with up to 127 one-shots in them into the Slicer, effectively giving you many hundreds of samples per preset. Running 8 cells with 64 one-shots in them (512) seems to be about the limit of the processor, in my experience.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:53 am

DruidTek wrote: i.e. if they're an hour long, you can only stream four of them at once.
is this true this way also for stereo samples ?
if so, would it mean the bitbox would qualifie for 8 mono streams at the same time ?
the 64MB would qualifie for something like 5,5minutes stereo IIRC, right ?

DruidTek wrote:......effectively giving you many hundreds of samples per preset. Running 8 cells with 64 one-shots in them (512) seems to be about the limit of the processor, in my experience.
how are "You" sequenzing such "slice-chained" Drums ?
are you going by midi or CV ?
In case, does it feel good sequenzing the slices by CVs ?
what number of slices feels best "for You", per cell ?

i have a bitbox. Not dived so far in any of these two scenarios.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

shanebroderick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shanebroderick » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:10 am

kall wrote:It's come up in this thread before, but it was the key for me to enjoying bitbox so I thought it was worth repeating:

Use 48 kHz samples!!!

Apparently using 44.1 kHz puts more strain on Bitbox, but it also seems to introduce ringing artifacts even at base pitch.

I have also found that if I get a lot of ringing artifacts when repitching, resampling the file to 96 kHz or even 192 kHz really helps. Not sure how big the processor strain is, but at 192 kHz I have zero ringing over a wide pitch range for a file that was really bad at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.

The bit depth doesn't seem to make a difference.

Has the firmware addressed this issue? or 24 bit / 44.1 khz samples just dont work with this module?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:14 am

Samplerate doesn't seem to matter with mine.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:26 am

shanebroderick wrote: Has the firmware addressed this issue? or 24 bit / 44.1 khz samples just dont work with this module?
you should not use 44.1 since that will affect latency because Bitbox has to do an internal conversion to 48KHz.

I can play them just fine though..
Funky40 wrote: In case, does it feel good sequenzing the slices by CVs ?
I slice them with the incoming trigger, no need for CV. Works great. It can trig them either in a linear path, random or backwards.. Random is great if you want a more organic sound, e.g to have a sample with the "same" bassdrums, just slight changes in them (for example pitch, volume, attack or cutoff, perhaps some has distortion etc etc).

Palme
Learning to Wiggle

Pitching

Post by Palme » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 am

Hi,

I want to ask some questions before i buy one, sorry if they have been asked before:
What i want to do is to record some textured pads, like a selfosscilating reverb, etc. and then play it polyphonically with a midi keyboard, with per-voice envelopes.

How well does it handle this pitching? does it resample it, like i have heard the rossum assimil8or does?
how many octaves down from the original sample will to still sound good?
is what i am talking about possible at all?

Thanks

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:18 am

It will act like any other sampler, so it's not going to resample.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:47 am

Morning Y'all!

i just bought myself a bitbox and now while waiting for it im preparing samples and wanted to ask following:

i want to use drum loops that i mainly create myself in Ableton

is it faster/more convenient to put all of my loops onto the SD card and use them from there

or is it faster/ more easy to record all loops with the sync record function into the bitbox?

where do i have to slice more? and how ''accurate'' do the samples have to be cut? i am afraid of clicks and pops

oh and what are the requirements for the SD card? i want to use a fast 64 GB card at least.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am

Dennis wrote:is it faster/more convenient to put all of my loops onto the SD card and use them from there

or is it faster/ more easy to record all loops with the sync record function into the bitbox?

where do i have to slice more? and how ''accurate'' do the samples have to be cut? i am afraid of clicks and pops

oh and what are the requirements for the SD card? i want to use a fast 64 GB card at least.
Yes, it’s super easy cutting perfect loops in an audio editor then moving them to folders on the SD card. I recommend doing it this way.

The slicer built into the Bitbox works quite well and automatically detects zero-crossing points for click free slices.

I use a 32 GB fast card with no issues. I’m not sure if there is a size limit.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Verbos Delay Showcase

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:21 pm

thanks mritenburg for the answer! im so excited for some refreshing percussion elements :love:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Am I going mad or did a previous version of the firmware come with samples??
If so, can anyone direct me as to where to find them?

I've tried the latest 2.5 version and there doesn't seem to be anything (matrix.bin is only 286KB hinting at no samples)
*EdIT*

I found the folder in earlier firmware..

*EDIT*
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:42 am

Multi Grooves wrote:Am I going mad or did a previous version of the firmware come with samples??
If so, can anyone direct me as to where to find them?

I've tried the latest 2.5 version and there doesn't seem to be anything (matrix.bin is only 286KB hinting at no samples)
*EdIT*

I found the folder in earlier firmware..

*EDIT*
FYI: It's included in the "official release" version, which is still 2.1.3

-Cheers

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Anyone have problems with clicks or pops when triggering new samples? The problem comes and goes and I'm having trouble isolating it. I could record an example.

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Always kinda wondered why sample/bit rate aren't options? Seems like a very minimal and usable common effect for samplers
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:56 pm

burnn_out! wrote:Always kinda wondered why sample/bit rate aren't options? Seems like a very minimal and usable common effect for samplers
everything like that introduces latency. if i remember correctly even the compressor (which is turned on by default) does introduce slight latency too.. i'm not sure that's why its not in, but it could be a reason perhaps.
mattcolville wrote:Anyone have problems with clicks or pops when triggering new samples? The problem comes and goes and I'm having trouble isolating it. I could record an example.
DC Offset probably. pops and clicks is completely natural for samples if they are not cut correctly. I always fix sound packs i've downloaded manually in SoundForge, even professional samples you purchase can be very sloppily made and require edits, either they have long latency or they have DC offset.

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:10 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
mattcolville wrote:Anyone have problems with clicks or pops when triggering new samples? The problem comes and goes and I'm having trouble isolating it. I could record an example.
DC Offset probably. pops and clicks is completely natural for samples if they are not cut correctly. I always fix sound packs i've downloaded manually in SoundForge, even professional samples you purchase can be very sloppily made and require edits, either they have long latency or they have DC offset.
Ahhh, I suspect you are right! Thanks!

keef321
Common Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by keef321 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm currently weighing up options on a sampler, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the following with the bitbox?

Basically, my setup is an 8 channel sequencer (eloquencer) and I want to send channels out for kick, snare, hi-hats, ride, cymbal, bassline, melody and random sample and say one spare. The bassline and melody are not be sample based, but as you can see I will quickly use all 8 channels.

So lets say in my music I want to keep things interesting, I want to change the 'ride' sample' for another 'ride' sample in a different cell, in fact 4 variations. I am looking at using a 2HP route which is a voltage controlled gate switch. The signal present (in this case the gate from my sequencer) will be sent to one of of four outputs of the 2HP route, under CV control. Each of the four outputs, will go into one 'cell' input on the bitbox. So in theory a channel in my sequencer can send out a gate, with a CV deciding on the output, thus triggering 1 of 4 'ride' samples.

I was also looking at the Assimil8or sampler, as this does a similar thing with 8 samples loaded up onto one channel that you can choose on the fly, but it does not look as user friendly, and does not look it would suit workflow as well, especially as I do DnB so the stretching capabilities, and looping etc will come in use.

I was trying to avoid having to put multiple samples into one WAV file and then chopping it up on the bitbox.

I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe. Thanks :)

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 pm

keef321 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:21 pm
I'm currently weighing up options on a sampler, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the following with the bitbox?

Basically, my setup is an 8 channel sequencer (eloquencer) and I want to send channels out for kick, snare, hi-hats, ride, cymbal, bassline, melody and random sample and say one spare. The bassline and melody are not be sample based, but as you can see I will quickly use all 8 channels.

So lets say in my music I want to keep things interesting, I want to change the 'ride' sample' for another 'ride' sample in a different cell, in fact 4 variations. I am looking at using a 2HP route which is a voltage controlled gate switch. The signal present (in this case the gate from my sequencer) will be sent to one of of four outputs of the 2HP route, under CV control. Each of the four outputs, will go into one 'cell' input on the bitbox. So in theory a channel in my sequencer can send out a gate, with a CV deciding on the output, thus triggering 1 of 4 'ride' samples.

I was also looking at the Assimil8or sampler, as this does a similar thing with 8 samples loaded up onto one channel that you can choose on the fly, but it does not look as user friendly, and does not look it would suit workflow as well, especially as I do DnB so the stretching capabilities, and looping etc will come in use.

I was trying to avoid having to put multiple samples into one WAV file and then chopping it up on the bitbox.

I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe. Thanks :)
You can do that easily with the bitbox, I do that often, though I use a Livestock Electronics MAZE for the routing.

keef321
Common Wiggler

Post by keef321 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:29 am

Excellent, thanks for that Pekbro, really useful to know others do the same :)

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:15 am

I asked this last month but the question and (quote helpful) answer got eaten by the forum update.

I’m experiencing a lot of clicking and popping in my samples. It’s not predictable, it doesn’t seem to happen when i’m Playing the samples by scrolling through them in the load/play menu, only when I’m triggering them.

Someone suggested it was a problem with my samples and I thought maybe I could fix it by editing them in audacity but now the answer describing the problem is gone. :(

Also, does any recommend any drum sample packs that are already properly mixed for something like this?

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:11 pm

mattcolville wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:15 am
I asked this last month but the question and (quote helpful) answer got eaten by the forum update.

I’m experiencing a lot of clicking and popping in my samples. It’s not predictable, it doesn’t seem to happen when i’m Playing the samples by scrolling through them in the load/play menu, only when I’m triggering them.

Someone suggested it was a problem with my samples and I thought maybe I could fix it by editing them in audacity but now the answer describing the problem is gone. :(

Also, does any recommend any drum sample packs that are already properly mixed for something like this?
Hmm, weird I've never had any problems like that. Maybe a problem with the SD card media, or
some power issue of some sort. Does it happen with the stock samples?

Anyway, I like samples from mars quite a lot. He has some great deals on them atm, you can
get all the drums or all the samples period, for pretty cheap. There are some free ones too
so you can check them out first. Definitely, have a look, some great stuff there imo :tu:

Samples From Mars

-Cheers

mattcolville
Common Wiggler

Post by mattcolville » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

It seems like the problem happens on a retrigger. If I set it to toggle and the sample gets to play all the way to the end, I don't notice it. But if I retrigger the samples before they're done firing, I get clicks and pops.

I tried swapping out my mixer in case it was that, the module is getting plenty of power. It happens even with the stock samples.

Someone posted a reply in December that seemed to explain it, maybe it's just the way samples work, that if you retrigger it in the middle, you get crackling. Basically the discontinuity between the middle of the waveform and the beginning? I am a sampling noob and do not wot of these things.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:23 am

I bet the sample has low frequencies in it. The very nature of some samples will cause clicking if looped at certain points. Picture an LFO sample running at one sine wave per second. Then you loop and jump into another part of the recording and the voltage goes from +5 to -5V. The processor has to do backflips to smooth the two voltages together by interpolation, thus causing a delay to morph the waveforms together to the new voltage.
Now imagine a kick sound, about 20Hz with a high-hat bell, about 7000Hz, riding on the same sample. The interpolation DSP must bring the two possibly very different voltages of the kick together without affecting the high hat bell sound. Simply fading them together might work with a 30Hz kick, but with a 20Hz not so because of the time it takes to do a transform of that size is outside of the latency limit. Just pure physics really :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”