1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by miminashi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:42 pm

I don't know about other OSes, but at least in Windows the driver model (ASIO, WDM, MME, etc.) has a huge impact on auditioning drum sounds or other sounds that start with a sharp transient. MME seems particularly bad -- it's high-latency and adds a fade-in when playback starts that mangles the initial transient. I'd recommend using ASIO if possible. The difference in Adobe Audition is night and day.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:12 pm

Yes, it sucks with the latency at the start, i can get that with ASIO too, missing the whole start of the sample..

I've changed my routine completely for Bitbox though, ideally you don't want single samples for it, to me that seems idiotic since there's so much potential in using slices instead (and get cool variations of hits, for example, or just an entire library of e.g analog bass drums or acoustic kicks).

Since i got so annoyed with the latency delay i instead batch converted all my samples into giant files of only bass drums, only snares, only hi-hats and percussion. Some of these have over 5000 sounds, takes a while to listen through but actually much more convenient than having to click / listen to each file individually). I then spent 3 weeks (almost full time) doing libraries from these files (each library file has 60 sample slices that i can select via Voltage Block). Quite happy with the result, even if it took a ridiculous amount of time.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:46 am

New Products

Bitbox MK2 https://1010music.com/product/bitbox-mk2
Bitbox micro: https://1010music.com/product/bitbox-micro

To our existing bitbox customers, we built all this new stuff on a common code base so you will soon see some new features in a free update. Bitbox 3.0 will include these features:
Granular mode
Crossfade looping
Folder based presets
MIDI learn mode
16 note polyphony shared across all sample pads
On screen piano and grid based keyboards

DruidTek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DruidTek » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:58 am

I'm very excited by this bitbox micro. The routing possibilities seem extensive with all of the inputs and outputs being DC coupled and the increased polyphony will come in very handy.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:07 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:12 pm
Yes, it sucks with the latency at the start, i can get that with ASIO too, missing the whole start of the sample..

I've changed my routine completely for Bitbox though, ideally you don't want single samples for it, to me that seems idiotic since there's so much potential in using slices instead (and get cool variations of hits, for example, or just an entire library of e.g analog bass drums or acoustic kicks).

Since i got so annoyed with the latency delay i instead batch converted all my samples into giant files of only bass drums, only snares, only hi-hats and percussion. Some of these have over 5000 sounds, takes a while to listen through but actually much more convenient than having to click / listen to each file individually). I then spent 3 weeks (almost full time) doing libraries from these files (each library file has 60 sample slices that i can select via Voltage Block). Quite happy with the result, even if it took a ridiculous amount of time.
Would you be willing to sell these banks? (Given that I liked the overall direction of the sound.)
-Lars

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 am

DruidTek wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:58 am
I'm very excited by this bitbox micro. The routing possibilities seem extensive with all of the inputs and outputs being DC coupled and the increased polyphony will come in very handy.
Yup, the micro does look like a winner. (And glad that they have realized, that a midi out (thru) is a very good idea.
-Lars

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:17 am

DruidTek wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:58 am
Pretty happy with the current config myself.. Effects could be nice though. I'm surprised mk2 isn't the Blackbox in modular format, just a few upgrades to the standard Bitbox. Very glad they're doing an update for the current owners, because i'm most likely sticking with this version.
LDT wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:07 am
Would you be willing to sell these banks? (Given that I liked the overall direction of the sound.)
I could perhaps sell the ones where i've mangled the samples into my own or when they are my own from the very start (got a few libraries now, tons of sounds i've made using NordDrum 2, Analog Four, LXR and DigiTone). Otherwise i'm not sure it's legal because you wouldnt be buying music but samples, made by someone else. Not comfortable with that.. I'll contact you if i do make some libraries that i feel comfortable with selling. Maybe even do some type of ad on the forum, because the samples can work with any sample player of course..

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:14 am

I just did a diff on the Features texts of both the new Bitbox 2 and Micro. Some curious differences that may just be editorial oversight, but could become questions:

- Bitbox 2 has “Use MIDI for polyphonic playback of samples or slices”, but this is omitted from the Micro text
- Micro text has “Resample the master output without patching” and “Automate recording of a multi-sample bank via MIDI and CV”, but Bitbox 2 text mentions neither

Also:
- Micro can route audio to any of six audio outputs, but it seems Bitbox 2 still only has four outputs
- Micro has MIDI out; Bitbox 2 does not appear to
- Bitbox 2 will eventually support new FX Box and Synth Box firmware; not clear that will happen with Micro
- no mention yet of the new granular features in the descriptions
- no mention of triggered latency improvements
- both modules appear to consume the same 400mA

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:58 am

Wonder how the granular mode compares to a Nebulae 2? I love my nebulae, but it would be nice to have something that can do that as well as synced loops and drum hits.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Modules/Google Case/Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:12 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:46 am
New Products

Bitbox MK2 https://1010music.com/product/bitbox-mk2
Bitbox micro: https://1010music.com/product/bitbox-micro

To our existing bitbox customers, we built all this new stuff on a common code base so you will soon see some new features in a free update. Bitbox 3.0 will include these features:
Granular mode
Crossfade looping
Folder based presets
MIDI learn mode
This is rad!
Glad to know us BitBox early adopters will be thrown a bone and get an update!
Thanks 1010Music! :yay:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:08 am

Full-size Bitbox with the I/O of the Micro would be my ideal so I could have each percussion group going to a different output for panning and EQing in Soundstage with a pre-mixed stereo pair for an FX send. That's my main gripe after using Bitbox for a year is not enough outputs and all those wasted trigger inputs since I mostly sequence with MIDI. That and round robin sample selection so you don't gotta do tedious shit like manually make a slicer for every drum.

Edit: And remember the last preset on startup!
Last edited by scragz on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:20 am

Added to ModularGrid for pre-release theorycrafting.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:30 pm

kall wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 am
It's come up in this thread before, but it was the key for me to enjoying bitbox so I thought it was worth repeating:

Use 48 kHz samples!!!

Apparently using 44.1 kHz puts more strain on Bitbox, but it also seems to introduce ringing artifacts even at base pitch.

I have also found that if I get a lot of ringing artifacts when repitching, resampling the file to 96 kHz or even 192 kHz really helps. Not sure how big the processor strain is, but at 192 kHz I have zero ringing over a wide pitch range for a file that was really bad at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.

The bit depth doesn't seem to make a difference.

This kind of stuff really should be a sticky. Not sure if this new forum can do that or how it would look?
:despair:
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:38 pm

So, I asked on Facebook and got some clarification:

Q1: can you elaborate on the output configuration options? (I’m just seeing the same panel as Bitbox 1 with FX1, FX2, OUT1 and OUT2)
A1: Bitbox mk2 has the same output configuration as the original. Bitbox Micro has more output options. It has 3 assignable pairs of stereo outs and one stereo pair of master outs.

Q2: are you seeing any change in triggered latency from the ~5 milliseconds of Bitbox 1?
A2: We haven’t changed our buffer sizes, so you can expect the same latency

Also of interest to some:

• We will be updating the MK1 to add granular, loop cross fading, improved WAV file management and MIDI Learn mode.
• The original bitbox hardware is less powerful and cannot support reverb and delay.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:59 pm

So, the guts are the same.

Both Mk2 and Micro now have DC coupled ins and outs for CV sampling and playback.

On the plus side, Micro has more assignable outputs (6 in addition to master stereo out), MIDI through, and it’s both smaller and cheaper.

On the minus side, Micro has a much smaller screen, which is probably harder to use, and can only present a top level matrix of eight (as opposed to 16) slots. There are only eight input jacks that must be shared amongst clock, audio in, triggers, and CV modulation. Micro cannot be operated upside down.

Bitbox Mk2 still offers a lot more jacks: clock, dedicated L/R inputs, sixteen trigger jacks (one per top level cell) plus four dedicated CV jacks. (Do I have that right?) Also, Bitbox Mk 2 will eventually run updated Synthbox and FXBox alternate firmwares. Mk2 is probably easier to operate, given the larger touchscreen. (Not sure whether the two extra pots really makes that much difference.) Bitbox Mk2 can be operated upside down.

On the downside Bitbox Mk2 is larger, more expensive, has only four assignable outputs, and no MIDI through.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 pm

Preview Edition 3.0 is out

Dear all,

We hope you are all healthy and doing well. For those who have some extra time at home, please enjoy this beta version of bitbox 3.0. Please know that this is a preliminary version and is not yet suitable for live use. There are a number of new features, including the following:

Folder based presets. Please backup your content before trying this new version. It will rearrange your presets (as many of you requested). More details can be found here https://1010music.com/wp-content/upload ... x-v1.5.pdf
Granular mode
Crossfade looping
A filter per pad with the ability to modulate it via CV
The ability to load multisamples, up to 32 samples across one preset
MIDI learn mode
Support for exFAT micro SD cards that can go up to 256GB and beyond

Please check it out and let us know what you think. Please also tell us if you find any problems so we can fix them.

https://1010music.com/wp-content/upload ... box299.zip

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:35 pm

OOOOOO nice! That built-in filter from Blackbox is gonna be super handy.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:47 am

Nice !

seems like bitbox evolved to Blackbox,
and Blackbox comes now back to Bitbox ( as far as possible based on the older CPU, just to mention it ;) )

scragz wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:08 am
Edit: And remember the last preset on startup!
***THIS***
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:26 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 pm
Preview Edition 3.0 is out

Dear all,

We hope you are all healthy and doing well. For those who have some extra time at home, please enjoy this beta version of bitbox 3.0. Please know that this is a preliminary version and is not yet suitable for live use. There are a number of new features, including the following:

Folder based presets. Please backup your content before trying this new version. It will rearrange your presets (as many of you requested). More details can be found here https://1010music.com/wp-content/upload ... x-v1.5.pdf
Granular mode
Crossfade looping
A filter per pad with the ability to modulate it via CV
The ability to load multisamples, up to 32 samples across one preset
MIDI learn mode
Support for exFAT micro SD cards that can go up to 256GB and beyond

Please check it out and let us know what you think. Please also tell us if you find any problems so we can fix them.

https://1010music.com/wp-content/upload ... box299.zip
Great to hear about 3.0. I tried 2.9.9 with my BitBox but the module keeps on rebooting. The update shows as successful and the screen loads, but then it crashes.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 am

Thanks for those updates. So, for me as an owner of the old bitbox v1 hardware, after updating to the new firmware, the main points missing are increased polyphony, DC coupling and the delay/reverb effects, is that correct?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 am

dbeats wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 am
Thanks for those updates. So, for me as an owner of the old bitbox v1 hardware, after updating to the new firmware, the main points missing are increased polyphony, DC coupling and the delay/reverb effects, is that correct?
If you look one message above yours, the main points are itemized. The delay/reverb won’t work on the mk1 hardware due to the older processor.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 am

The built in filter is very handy and it sounds nice too i think.

Tried the granular mode, pretty good if you're into that, easy to use and sounds pretty good. I could never get it to loop without fading out though, which i thought was odd.

Wish they'd include the BB sequencer, doubt that's any big strain on the CPU, i bet the filter is way heavier to process than a sequencer. Again, i find it very, very odd that mk2 isnt Blackbox in euro format, i'd totally buy that, not so interested in mk2, too few things added for me to want to make an upgrade.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:53 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 am
dbeats wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 am
If you look one message above yours, the main points are itemized. The delay/reverb won’t work on the mk1 hardware due to the older processor.
Sorry, I wanted to conclude the missing points from a v1 owner's point of view, compared to v2.

filtafreq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by filtafreq » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:32 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 am
The built in filter is very handy and it sounds nice too i think.

Tried the granular mode, pretty good if you're into that, easy to use and sounds pretty good. I could never get it to loop without fading out though, which i thought was odd.

Wish they'd include the BB sequencer, doubt that's any big strain on the CPU, i bet the filter is way heavier to process than a sequencer. Again, i find it very, very odd that mk2 isnt Blackbox in euro format, i'd totally buy that, not so interested in mk2, too few things added for me to want to make an upgrade.
Why on earth would they add a sequencer while they have V2 toolbox ???

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 pm

filtafreq wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Why on earth would they add a sequencer while they have V2 toolbox ???
Because they don't seem super greedy and quite smart? I mean they do let you use Bitbox as an FXbox or Synthbox..

A sequencer for the Bitbox would also be considerably less advanced than the one they have for toolbox, the jacks and all of its functionality is about sequencing, on the bitbox you couldnt do that. It would also only work with samples on Bitbox, its not for sequencing the rest of your modular. Big difference there.

They could make it similar though, copy much of its workflow to make people interested in getting the toolbox (because they now have insight into how to work with it).

I'd say it would work more to their advantage than not, also people tend to support companies that makes these sort of updates. Bitbox would also sell more i bet, especially to people who might have small live cases and a limited amount of sequencers. In its current state i doubt many of those are looking at a big and sequencing demanding (20 ins) module such as Bitbox.

Tl;dr: perfect "teaser" for Toolbox.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”