1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:48 pm

Crumbfort wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 pm
Contemplating picking one of these up in the future, primarily for CV recording/CV sampling and manipulation of said CVs. Does the Bitbox mk2 seem like a good option for this, or would it be completely overkill? Any other cool alternatives out there for that kind of thing?
Can it sample CV now? The old version was AC coupled (the inputs).

Disting mk4 is decent for this..

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 pm

According to the 1010music site (both the Bitbox Mk2 and the Bitbox Micro):
Inputs and outputs are DC coupled so you can record and play out CV signals

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Nice.. wonder why they didn't do it on the Mk1, perhaps it does have a slight impact on audio quality to do DC coupled?

wavejumperr
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejumperr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Hey, I’m just curious if the mk2 can act as I mixer via the stereo input? I would like to mix a stereo signal with my samples without using another mixer
wigglers are a modular synth's way of making another modular synth

DruidTek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DruidTek » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:17 am

wavejumperr wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm
Hey, I’m just curious if the mk2 can act as I mixer via the stereo input? I would like to mix a stereo signal with my samples without using another mixer
Yes, if you turn record monitor on

Audiodaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiodaan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 am

I am considering an Mk2 Bitbox specifically for playing back multisampled instruments. There's no manual yet. How do files have to be prepared so that they are recognised by Bitbox as a multisample kit (with round robins/different velocities per sample)? Is it just a case of naming the files in a certain way and it can thus easily be done on a PC in prep, or is there more to it?

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Do I need to format the mini sd card that comes with the micro? What type of format is required?

scttcmpbll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scttcmpbll » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Audiodaan wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 am
I am considering an Mk2 Bitbox specifically for playing back multisampled instruments. There's no manual yet. How do files have to be prepared so that they are recognised by Bitbox as a multisample kit (with round robins/different velocities per sample)? Is it just a case of naming the files in a certain way and it can thus easily be done on a PC in prep, or is there more to it?
I bought the Micro for multisampling. From looking at the included samples it looks like they just need a midi note number at the end of the sample name, but I've had mixed results renaming multi samples I already have. You can create multisamples with the built in autosampler but I'd prefer to not have to remake all of my multisamples. Waiting for the manual so I can get some clarification on file naming

wavejumperr
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejumperr » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:13 pm

I bought the mk2 bitbox, and the QuickStart guide tells me that I can access the mute mode by holding the “home” button for three seconds, but when I do this I get no result. Is this something that only worked on the version 1? Is there something else I should be doing to get into mute mode?

EDIT — I just realized I have to hit Info after hitting Home and going to the Mix screen. My mistake!
wigglers are a modular synth's way of making another modular synth

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:41 am

scttcmpbll wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm
Waiting for the manual so I can get some clarification on file naming
The Bitbox Micro manual is up; still waiting for the Mk2 version.

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:09 pm

lmixl wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Do I need to format the mini sd card that comes with the micro? What type of format is required?
The card which comes with the micro is already formatted an full of samples..:-)
I would suggest to format new SD-cards in the ExFat-format due to restrictions in naming files in FAT32.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm

kriskeyman wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 pm
Just received Bitbox mk2. Manual isn’t finished on 1010 site... is there any way to adjust parameters of delay & reverb fx?
When on the FX page tap on either Delay or Reverb and then Info. Here you can adjust the settings.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:44 pm

pyrolator wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:09 pm
lmixl wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:18 pm
The card which comes with the micro is already formatted an full of samples..:-)
I would suggest to format new SD-cards in the ExFat-format due to restrictions in naming files in FAT32.
Thank you!

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:13 am

Guys and gals!
I cannot decide between mk2 and Micro as they both have exclusive features.

I‘m interested in your decisions and arguments between the two.

Mk2 pros:
16 slots, bigger screen, a combination of 8 CV inputs + 12 trigger inputs (if so configured), dedicated audio inputs, 4 encoders = quicker editing of parameters.
Mk2 cons:
only 4 outputs (for 16 sample slots), no midi out for multisampling.

Micro pros:
6 outputs (plus main stereo out with all active sounds) for 8 sample slots, midi out for multisampling, 8hp less, 8 CV inputs (when using only midi for triggering cells)
Micro cons:
No CV inputs when triggering everything with analog (non-midi) gates/triggers, only 2 encoders & more scrolling and tapping to get to parameters (such as ADSR).

I‘ll probably mainly use midi from Vector or Hermod to trigger the Bitbox. With the mk2 I appreciate that more parameters can be quickly edited with dedicated encoders.
The multisampling with midi out seems very attractive on the Micro amd the two extra audio outs (not counting the main stereo out that carries every signal) could be great for more individual post processing.

These are my possible setups:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am

If you’re mostly relying on MIDI and you can live with the smaller screen and more cramped ergonomics, it’s hard to not see the Micro as the better value.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:05 am

I went with the micro. Mainly because I’m not interested in the Ableton-like loop switching, and I’m using direct midi from my Vector. So far it’s great for single shot drums, and the granular stuff is pretty interesting. Not as beautiful as my Nebulae 2, but it is nice for textures. I was hoping that I could sell my nebulae but I don’t think that’s going to happen.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Sigh. Anyone else getting really bad flickering on the micro? There was supposed to be a fix in the latest firmware, but my flickering just started today. Brightness at 100%. I guess this will have to go back unless they can fix it...

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:13 pm

exper wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:10 pm
Sigh. Anyone else getting really bad flickering on the micro? There was supposed to be a fix in the latest firmware, but my flickering just started today. Brightness at 100%. I guess this will have to go back unless they can fix it...
I got flickering at 100%, turned it down and it seems either gone or I didn't notice it. Wonder if it is impacted by power supply like everything else in euro? I have mine in a Mantis case.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

1010 modules have had that problem in the past a lot it seems. One thing you can do is make sure the screen ribbon
is seated in the clamp well. Otherwise lower brightness will help. Mine are not even bad in that regard, but I've never
been able to eliminate it completely. Also, display quality varies quite a bit between 2 of their modules for me.
That said, it's not really a problem, likely nobody would even notice it besides me. I file that under me being nit-picky
because it's hardly a problem in my case.

*The software updates do often help the problem for sure...

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:14 pm

No this as like, messing with my vision fast flickering. Definitely not just nitpicking. Any, I contacted their support and they said they’re working on a firmware update to fix it. Hopefully that’s all it is.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:22 am

exper wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:14 pm
No this as like, messing with my vision fast flickering. Definitely not just nitpicking. Any, I contacted their support and they said they’re working on a firmware update to fix it. Hopefully that’s all it is.
Bummer. I was just about to order one of these from Perfect Circuit with store credit I have from some other faulty modules I just sent back. Not sure I feel like going through that 2 week process again. Any luck with a firmware fix yet?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am

No, still waiting.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Struggle wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:22 am
exper wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:14 pm
Bummer. I was just about to order one of these from Perfect Circuit with store credit I have from some other faulty modules I just sent back. Not sure I feel like going through that 2 week process again. Any luck with a firmware fix yet?
I just installed the most recent firmware on the Micro and don‘t notice flickering anymore.
Last edited by MikeLeeBirds on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Crackling noise with Micro and mk2!!

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:35 pm

I have a BB Micro and mk2 here right now.

Both produce crackling noise easily when changing parameters such as FX or going to poly mode on multi samples.

Actually this seems to be directly related to poly-mode. Whenever I switch back to mono the crackling stops!

Right now I have two stock multi samples loaded on both, Sonar and Tubular.
When I set them to poly, either triggered or gated with longish release, the crackling starts. On the Micro more so than on the mk2.

Then when I go to FX and adjust delay and reverb it gets worse. Much worse on the Micro. In one instance the crackling stopped after a while, at other times it stayed.

I switched cases, but the situation remained. None of my other digital modules (such as Hermod, Vector, Sinfonion) display erratic behavior so I assume it’s not related to power.
Both voices are played via midi from a Vector sequencer.

I want to keep the Micro, but like this I can‘t.

Most recent firmware is installed on both units
What‘s happening??

(I also posted this in the 1010 Forum. I hope the makers are gonna chip in.)

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Cool! Steve, 1010‘s Customer Happiness Enforcer, responded very quickly and mentioned the cumulative 24-note maximum polyphony as a possible reason.

Turns out he was right. I was running two single note 16ths sequences at 107 BPM with release for both voices above 40%. That resulted in too many resonating notes and caused the crackling.

Looks like one has to be very aware of (or get used to) the possibilities and limitations of Blackbox.
I hadn’t expected to hit the ceiling of these new generation BBs so quickly.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”