1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:05 pm

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:31 pm
Cool! Steve, 1010‘s Customer Happiness Enforcer, responded very quickly and mentioned the cumulative 24-note maximum polyphony as a possible reason.

Turns out he was right. I was running two single note 16ths sequences at 107 BPM with release for both voices above 40%. That resulted in too many resonating notes and caused the crackling.

Looks like one has to be very aware of (or get used to) the possibilities and limitations of Bitbox.
I hadn’t expected to hit the ceiling of these new generation BBs so quickly.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Just curious if people are getting better results from recording samples directly in to the BB or transfer via micro SD?

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Just curious if people are getting better results from recording samples directly in to the BB or transfer via micro SD?
I almost always use the SD card but I've had no problems either method.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:55 am

GregIcky wrote:
If you like unwanted clicks and pops you'll enjoy recording directly in the unit itself.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:32 am

just ordered a micro version. Really interested by the multi-sample fonction
any recommandations concerning the number of notes and velocity to avoid "overloading" ?
another question about the FX section, are the parameters the same for all the pads ?
is it a way to have a different fx parameters for each pad, or it's more like a bus send ?

Dsquid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dsquid » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:09 pm

How noticeable is the 5ms delay in practice? 5ms seems an acceptable tolerance, but I see some folks complaining about it. I personally don’t pick up on it on the many videos I’ve been watching while trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on a micro (though the trade off between more outs vs ins between the mk2 and micro make it a hard call). Is it more if you have other sources of latency in your chain that the 5ms contributes to that makes it a problem? Or do some folks pickup on even a 5ms delay audibly?

Other than the delay and a few glitchy things people have been pointing out on the forums, it has most of the features I am looking for. But, these few things have been holding me back from taking the plunge. I don’t want to buy such an expensive module only to have it be an annoyance to use because of a noticeable delay, screen flicker, noise, etc.

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:54 am

Just got a new Micro yesterday - screen flickering like crazy. Flicker comes and goes... brightness is down to 1% but doesn't help. Pretty much un-useable because of this. Not sure if I should risk waiting for a firmware 'fix' or just return it - on the 1010 forum I see people complaning about screen flicker back in 2018 and being promised a firmware fix...
Also the module is getting crazy hot on the back after 15/20 mins use - almost too hot to touch when taking the module out. Anyone else getting this? Is that normal operating temp for a BB?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:03 am

nickbaba wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:54 am
Just got a new Micro yesterday - screen flickering like crazy. Flicker comes and goes... brightness is down to 1% but doesn't help. Pretty much un-useable because of this. Not sure if I should risk waiting for a firmware 'fix' or just return it - on the 1010 forum I see people complaning about screen flicker back in 2018 and being promised a firmware fix...
Also the module is getting crazy hot on the back after 15/20 mins use - almost too hot to touch when taking the module out. Anyone else getting this? Is that normal operating temp for a BB?

It's frustrating, The flickering when it starts can be so bad that it makes it difficult to read, let alone the fact that is messes with your eyes. I'm experiencing period resets on some of my digital modules as well ever since I put the micro in. (I have over an Amp of headroom).

There hasn't been a firmware update that addresses these issues, and even though I was advised against returning it by the manufacturer, I'm beginning to think that is the safest thing. I don't want to be stuck with a module I don't want to use just to have "faith" that these issues will be fixed...

I had an MK1 BB a while ago, and the screen never had an issue with flickering, and the larger BBs used MUCH less +12mA, so there wasn't an issue with heat or messing with other modules in my system.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 pm

Double post... sorry
Last edited by glennfin on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 pm

I've had my MK2 for just over a week now and the screen does flicker intermittently... Can't return it because I racked it without washers and you can see faint circles around the mounting holes. So this has been an issue for a while? no fix?... really pissed off about this. I did update the firmware... no change. I purchased this new from Detroit Modular (excellent dealer) so I assume there's a warranty... I'll just keep sending it back until they fix it. Time to add another mfg to my purchase block list. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Last edited by glennfin on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:21 pm

glennfin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 pm
I've had my MK2 for just over a week now and the screen does flicker intermittently... Can't return it because I racked it without washers and you can see faint circles around the mounting holes. So this has been an issue for a while? no fix?... really pissed off about this. I did update the firmware... no change. Time to add another mfg to my purchase block list. :mad: :mad: :mad:
exper wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:03 am
nickbaba wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:54 am

It's frustrating, The flickering when it starts can be so bad that it makes it difficult to read, let alone the fact that is messes with your eyes. I'm experiencing period resets on some of my digital modules as well ever since I put the micro in. (I have over an Amp of headroom).

There hasn't been a firmware update that addresses these issues, and even though I was advised against returning it by the manufacturer, I'm beginning to think that is the safest thing. I don't want to be stuck with a module I don't want to use just to have "faith" that these issues will be fixed...

I had an MK1 BB a while ago, and the screen never had an issue with flickering, and the larger BBs used MUCH less +12mA, so there wasn't an issue with heat or messing with other modules in my system.
Didn't know the MK2s have flickering issues. I thought it was just the Micro...

As for returns, if the unit is defective you should absolutely be able to return.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

wavejumperr
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejumperr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Looking for some advice so that I can use my Bitbox 2 for playing long (over an hour) continuous sets. Is there a way to quantize when it switches a preset so that it does so on the downbeat? On other devices I’ve used, I’ve had the option to enter a number of bars that it will count before switching a preset on the 1, which is very helpful.

If there’s another method to go through a wide variety of one shots and loops, I’m open to whatever you suggest.
wigglers are a modular synth's way of making another modular synth

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Gyroscope wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:55 am
GregIcky wrote:
If you like unwanted clicks and pops you'll enjoy recording directly in the unit itself.
Are people generally not able to import samples from the SD card? Seems like that would be a major issue if files are coming out with unwanted artifacts. I've got a ton of samples just sitting in folders on the mac just waiting to be loaded into BB.

I can't wrap my head around how a simple file transfer can turn a .wav file into sonic garbage. Never had that issue on the old rackmounted AKAI that used floppy disks back in 1995.

I just grabbed a Micro a couple weeks ago but haven't really dived into it yet. Is there already a FW update for it?

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:39 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm
Gyroscope wrote:
GregIcky wrote:
Are people generally not able to import samples from the SD card? Seems like that would be a major issue if files are coming out with unwanted artifacts. I've got a ton of samples just sitting in folders on the mac just waiting to be loaded into BB.

I can't wrap my head around how a simple file transfer can turn a .wav file into sonic garbage. Never had that issue on the old rackmounted AKAI that used floppy disks back in 1995.

I just grabbed a Micro a couple weeks ago but haven't really dived into it yet. Is there already a FW update for it?
If you want to transfer files I think you'll be fine (never tried that and don't have the module anymore). The problems start when you record directly in the unit itself. It seems like someting that you used to have in your old rackmounted AKAI (cross-fade at the loop points) is now impossible to implement. So instead you end up with a granular mode that sounds like crap and that doesn't in any way fix the problem of clicks and pops at the loop points.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:00 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm
Gyroscope wrote:
GregIcky wrote:

That reply was phrased confusingly. I think they meant, "recording to the unit itself more likely gives unwanted clicks and pops".

Putting samples directly on the SD card works great!

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:35 pm

just get my micro 2 days ago ... not problem yet and let unsynchronized samples loop during hours
no flickering or clicks or pops ... with fx active on 4 pads
really easy to add .wav on the SD card, a drag & drop is enough
48kHz / 24 bits

I don't find it in the manual >
When you do put an ext clock, what is the default tempo ?

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:36 am

So, how much is the Micro reliable for recording long sessions at high quality? Are clicks and pops to be expected?

rareo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rareo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:10 am

After a few weeks i finally got to get into this module and am already noticing the flickering screen, high pitched interference coming from display brightness settings and at some levels it also crackles (tried various cases), all outputs humming at varying amplitude depending on which display is showing. As of now, totally unusable.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am

Looks like we got ourselves some readers. I'll repeat it again: if you transfer files from the computer the Bitbox works perfectly and as intended. When you RECORD DIRECTLY in the module itself is when you'll get clicks and pops at the loop points.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am

Gyroscope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am
Looks like we got ourselves some readers. I'll repeat it again: if you transfer files from the computer the Bitbox works perfectly and as intended. When you RECORD DIRECTLY in the module itself is when you'll get clicks and pops at the loop points.
I asked for the Micro but I guess it is the same of the normal version.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am

Gyroscope wrote:
Looks like we got ourselves some readers.
Attachments
bill-hicks.jpg

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 am

This thread has become a bit depressing. I was leaning toward ordering one of these soonish, but it sounds like the mk2/micro isn’t quite ready for prime time.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:08 am

This thread has introduced me to Bill Hicks. That skit was insane, thanks.
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

“No more alcohol
It's a Kool-aid substitute”

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 am

Gyroscope wrote:
The BitBox touch screen makes it super easy to zoom in and set loop points on zero crossings for click-free loops. Literally takes a few seconds.

D5223BED-65EF-4315-844D-58166921F968.jpeg
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

a loose reference

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

mritenburg wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 am
Gyroscope wrote:
The BitBox touch screen makes it super easy to zoom in and set loop points on zero crossings for click-free loops. Literally takes a few seconds.

D5223BED-65EF-4315-844D-58166921F968.jpeg
I remember spending so much time hunched over the Bitbox to try and get a seamless loop. You sure can succeed but you have to be really patient and have a strong neck. In contrast, I have an ASR-10 here that doesn't even display the waveform, and I never have any problem to quickly find looping points that don't click. That instrument is from 1991.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”