1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by mritenburg » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:01 pm

Gyroscope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am
mritenburg wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:22 am
Gyroscope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am
Looks like we got ourselves some readers. I'll repeat it again: if you transfer files from the computer the Bitbox works perfectly and as intended. When you RECORD DIRECTLY in the module itself is when you'll get clicks and pops at the loop points.
The BitBox touch screen makes it super easy to zoom in and set loop points on zero crossings for click-free loops. Literally takes a few seconds.

D5223BED-65EF-4315-844D-58166921F968.jpeg
I remember spending so much time hunched over the Bitbox to try and get a seamless loop. You sure can succeed but you have to be really patient and have a strong neck. In contrast, I have an ASR-10 here that doesn't even display the waveform, and I never have any problem to quickly find looping points that don't click. That instrument is from 1991.

Having also owned an ASR-10, I find the zoom/drag visual editing on the BitBox infinitely more efficient to scrolling through numbers on the ASR-10, but I acknowledge that everyone has their preferences.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Just updated my micro firmware to the latest version and I have no flickering issues even at 100%.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:46 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 am
This thread has become a bit depressing. I was leaning toward ordering one of these soonish, but it sounds like the mk2/micro isn’t quite ready for prime time.
I got mine at Sweetwater. 45 day return policy, no questions asked. If you’re on the fence it’s a great way to see if it works for you.

I’ve had no screen issues whatsoever. Remember Internet forums can tend to amplify the negative.

rareo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rareo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 am

After updating the firmware the module seems much better, maybe it's just me.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:58 pm

I've already tried the 1.09 version, which leads me to think some of the units have possible hardware issues. I put my Noebulae 2 back in the case until I decide if I'm returning or waiting for a fix...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:20 pm

exper wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:58 pm
I've already tried the 1.09 version, which leads me to think some of the units have possible hardware issues. I put my Noebulae 2 back in the case until I decide if I'm returning or waiting for a fix...
Or the module doesn't like your case power....

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:44 pm

trickness wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:20 pm

Or the module doesn't like your case power...
That could be, but I have over an amp of headroom left with good power (TPS-80, super clean, never had a problem other than this...)
Also, another user in the 1010 forum mentioned that the BB Micro caused modules to reset in his system as well while he adjusted brightness...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:05 am

Wonderful. :evil:
Gyroscope wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am
Looks like we got ourselves some readers. I'll repeat it again: if you transfer files from the computer the Bitbox works perfectly and as intended. When you RECORD DIRECTLY in the module itself is when you'll get clicks and pops at the loop points.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:46 am

Clicks and pops at the loop points is just the bitbox not being capable of always slicing it correctly (at "zero crossing", 0db).

If you want to slice samples perfectly and get a tight groove, you need to do it manually anyways, and preferably on a computer. But it's pretty quick to do on the bitbox (Mk 1, in my case) too, you do need to zoom in as far as you can. If you want to edit many hundreds of loops then just do it on your PC i'd say..

You can't trust auto-slicing for this sort of rather complex thing. afaik there is no program, even on PC, that can do this better than what a human can. If you're fine with some latency you can do it automatically on the Mk1.. clicks and pops can also be fixed with a env fade out for each slice.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 am

I need to dig a bit the live rec to see what clips & pops are , but with Wavs files not issue for the moment.
But It was my reason to go for this module > be able to send pre-recorded stuffs like drones and field rec
record daw instruments and sounds to map them on a keyboard / cv sequencer without a computer ...
I'm more into unsynchronized pads so it's maybe easier this way ?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:18 pm

FYI there's a new firmware for the micro that is for "improved control of screen brightness". Not sure if that addresses the flickering or not. I'll try it out in the morning.

Dsquid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dsquid » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:46 am

Nevermind...I see what’s happening. Screen flickering for me is only when I turn it down to 1%, apparently new firmware fixes this but I haven’t had time to update yet (it’s super bright, so turning down to 0 is actually where I want it).

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:19 am

Dsquid wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:46 am
Nevermind...I see what’s happening. Screen flickering for me is only when I turn it down to 1%, apparently new firmware fixes this but I haven’t had time to update yet (it’s super bright, so turning down to 0 is actually where I want it).
Thanks for posting that. I'll install the new firmware and see if it fixes my screen flicker.

EDIT: Though you were talking about the MK2, not the micro.

Dsquid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dsquid » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 pm

glennfin wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:19 am
Dsquid wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:46 am
Thanks for posting that. I'll install the new firmware and see if it fixes my screen flicker.

EDIT: Though you were talking about the MK2, not the micro.
Sorry should have been specific, yes I have the micro. The bit box forums have some threads about the flickering, might be best to follow up there.

With the new firmware on micro, I had some time to play around with 0 brightness for about 20 minutes today and didn’t notice flickering. Will have more time tonight to play, hopefully if this is a good fix for the problem they can soon apply it to MK2 similarly.

Been having fun with it despite the glitches, though I am still undecided between micro and MK2. I really like the extra outs on the micro but already feeling a little limited with the 8 pads and inputs...if they made the MK2 with a slightly larger output bank/expander would be a slam dunk imo (and fix the glitches, obv.).

Fidi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fidi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I just discovered that I can use my bitbox micro for quantized mutes by sampling a DC voltage as a clip and send this output to a vca. Had to tweak the settings a little (setting sync to „none“) to avoid clicks - works quite well :sb: :party:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 am

Fidi wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:06 pm
I just discovered that I can use my bitbox micro for quantized mutes by sampling a DC voltage as a clip and send this output to a vca. Had to tweak the settings a little (setting sync to „none“) to avoid clicks - works quite well :sb: :party:
Curious how you did that exactly? :despair:

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 am

Dsquid wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 pm
Been having fun with it despite the glitches, though I am still undecided between micro and MK2. I really like the extra outs on the micro but already feeling a little limited with the 8 pads and inputs...if they made the MK2 with a slightly larger output bank/expander would be a slam dunk imo (and fix the glitches, obv.).
I find the Micro to have too many outs with not enough configuration. Eg, effects always come out of outs 1&2 and the full mix always comes out of 7&8. You can only cue one channel only. There is an output menu screen but you can’t adjust anything on it. I’m hoping it’s a placeholder screen for future configurability, but as it stands right now, it’s a useless screen that serves no purpose.

The os feels very Beta to me. :despair:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:05 pm
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:31 pm
Cool! Steve, 1010‘s Customer Happiness Enforcer, responded very quickly and mentioned the cumulative 24-note maximum polyphony as a possible reason.

Turns out he was right. I was running two single note 16ths sequences at 107 BPM with release for both voices above 40%. That resulted in too many resonating notes and caused the crackling.

Looks like one has to be very aware of (or get used to) the possibilities and limitations of Bitbox.
I hadn’t expected to hit the ceiling of these new generation BBs so quickly.
Agreed, it’s very easy to crackle things up
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

J_Behan
Common Wiggler

Post by J_Behan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:54 am

Is there any way to audition where I'm placing a slice point? Pressing 'play' just plays back the whole sample.
I would have thought playing back from the vertical white line when in slicer mode would be more useful?

Fidi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fidi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 am

GregIcky wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 am
Fidi wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:06 pm
Curious how you did that exactly? :despair:
Sorry for my bad explanation, i try it again: :confused:

1. Set Input 1 to „Audio“ and connect any offset generator as source to record a steady DC-voltage offset (lenght doesn‘t matter, just a few seconds) Looks like this:

2. let this sample play as a „clip“ with this settings:

Edit: set Attack and Release to „0“

„Quant size“ defines at which point your clip will play or stop (at the beginning of the bar, or every 4 bars or whatever you like)

Connect the corresponding output from your Micro to the CV input of any vca to mute or unmute the signal thats running through the vca. (If you want to mute/unmute multiple signals together simply mult this output to several vca‘s.)

Like this you can do Ableton-like quantized/queued muting 8-)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Umm, what's different from sequencing something like normal (if something is on or off).

i'd love to hear how you use it and why, maybe its something i've underestimated.

Fidi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fidi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:13 pm
Umm, what's different from sequencing something like normal (if something is on or off).

i'd love to hear how you use it and why, maybe its something i've underestimated.
I‘m using it to mute/unmute a track at exactly the beginning of the next bar, similar to an LPZW Schleußig (which I don‘t have)... I don‘t want to sample this track because I still want to be able to change it on the go. I really enjoy this because it is very intuitive (makes me want to buy the Schleußig...) :mrgreen:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm

I’m just scratching the surface of the Micros features. Sending gates to one-shots. It’s basically going to replace my STS. The lack of any screen and trying to remember button combos for basic editing was a bummer. The Micro is pretty amazing considering what you can do with it.

I read that you can’t record cv because the inputs are not DC coupled. But that you CAN record modulation onto the SD card from a DAW. I’m not sure how you would do that exactly. But if it’s true, seems like you could record gate or even note sequences onto it then trigger them in loop mode. If you actually do that I would imagine you could make some pretty complex rhythm patterns.

How does one record modulation into a .wave tho? Is it even possible?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Fidi wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm

I‘m using it to mute/unmute a track at exactly the beginning of the next bar, similar to an LPZW Schleußig (which I don‘t have)... I don‘t want to sample this track because I still want to be able to change it on the go. I really enjoy this because it is very intuitive (makes me want to buy the Schleußig...) :mrgreen:
Ah ok.. yeah i guess that can be useful. Thanks.

Dsquid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dsquid » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 am
Dsquid wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 pm
I find the Micro to have too many outs with not enough configuration. Eg, effects always come out of outs 1&2 and the full mix always comes out of 7&8. You can only cue one channel only. There is an output menu screen but you can’t adjust anything on it. I’m hoping it’s a placeholder screen for future configurability, but as it stands right now, it’s a useless screen that serves no purpose.

The os feels very Beta to me. :despair:
Yeah, the output screen is useless at the moment. You can of course configure pads to send to specific outputs on the individual pad configuration screen (this works for both cv and audio, so you can have audio samples going to specific outputs while sending cv samples to others).

I hadn’t played with onboard FX much, but you’re right it does oddly always send FX to outs 1/2. So if you aren’t using onboard FX you have 1-6 to play with, otherwise you are limited to 3-6. I still prefer having more outs compared to MK2, but yeah hopefully they will open up a few more configuration options in the future.

It has potential to be a fun module, but agreed it does feel half baked.
Last edited by Dsquid on Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”