1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:25 am

GregIcky wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm
I’m just scratching the surface of the Micros features. Sending gates to one-shots. It’s basically going to replace my STS. The lack of any screen and trying to remember button combos for basic editing was a bummer. The Micro is pretty amazing considering what you can do with it.

I read that you can’t record cv because the inputs are not DC coupled. But that you CAN record modulation onto the SD card from a DAW. I’m not sure how you would do that exactly. But if it’s true, seems like you could record gate or even note sequences onto it then trigger them in loop mode. If you actually do that I would imagine you could make some pretty complex rhythm patterns.

How does one record modulation into a .wave tho? Is it even possible?
You can record cv.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Is there any talk of a screensaver for the BB micro? Do any of there other box modules have one? I turned my screen brightness down all the way and it’s still pretty darn bright. I’m guessing it will burn in pretty bad over time.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:21 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:13 pm
Is there any talk of a screensaver for the BB micro? Do any of there other box modules have one? I turned my screen brightness down all the way and it’s still pretty darn bright. I’m guessing it will burn in pretty bad over time.
There is no screen saver in the old ones at least. TBH the burn thing isn't really a problem that I've noticed
with either of my two 1010 modules over a few years time.

Ray Diode
El Popo

Post by Ray Diode » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:43 pm

GregIcky wrote:
the new micro firmware updates the ‘flickering when screen brightness reduced’ issue I believe 👍🏽
Alphatown | Phonku Bot | Oscillator Repair Team
| Weird Fiction Records |

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Ray Diode wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:43 pm
GregIcky wrote:
the new micro firmware updates the ‘flickering when screen brightness reduced’ issue I believe 👍🏽
My screen has never flickered. It's fine. I just don't want my screen burned in after having it been on for 6 months or a year (ever!)

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:30 pm

pekbro wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:21 pm
GregIcky wrote:
There is no screen saver in the old ones at least. TBH the burn thing isn't really a problem that I've noticed
with either of my two 1010 modules over a few years time.
Ah ok, I read that after my last comment. Good to know.

I'm not having any of the issues that people have been talking about. Just recorded some samples straight out of a volca - even turned up the level in the bitbox until it peaked then took it down a few turns.... no clicks or pops... sounds perfect. Thing rules.

Phil Frog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Phil Frog » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Never had any issue with my Bitbox mk2 …
And I just noticed the manual was online, good!

keef321
Common Wiggler

Post by keef321 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the mutli-sampling functionality yet, but in the sense of mapping multiple drum hits samples on one pad? I was hoping I could put several loop friendly 'drum rides' on one pad, and then change the loop utilising a quantized CV signal from a sequencer?

Fingers crossed, thanks

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:36 pm

Warning. They released a new firmware for the micro. It made things even worse. This thing is going back now.

I installed the firmware, it booted and then I went to adjust the brightness (it was back at 100%) and it made all of my modules go haywire. I turned the system off, restarted and within a couple of seconds everything went haywire again.

I wanted this thing to work but I’m not blowing up my other modules for one.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case /Launchpad Mini Mk3

osten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osten » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:37 pm

exper wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:36 pm
Warning. They released a new firmware for the micro. It made things even worse. This thing is going back now.

I installed the firmware, it booted and then I went to adjust the brightness (it was back at 100%) and it made all of my modules go haywire. I turned the system off, restarted and within a couple of seconds everything went haywire again.

Jesus, that doesnt instill confidence. Anyone else with a similar problem?

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:40 pm

no problems here

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:02 pm

osten wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:37 pm
exper wrote:

Jesus, that doesnt instill confidence. Anyone else with a similar problem?
I'm still waiting for my replacement from them. They made me ship mine back and wouldn't send me a replacement until they received the original one. Supposedly they identified a hardware flaw with early batches and were going to send me a new, tested one. But then another person there told me they may fix the messed up one I have and send it back, which is not what I was told initially.

And on the forum, users are saying the firmware "fix" for flickering displays (sort of a "fine" adjustment) requires a new setting every time the unit is turned on, or even minutes later...

We'll see. I'm fairly annoyed at this point because I just requested a refund from where I bought it when it started shutting down my system. I could have picked up a Squarp Rample or similar and been completely happy since I mainly just need a drum sample player...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

celestial tomes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by celestial tomes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Just bought one, no issues when changing brightness (0-100).
It’s running on a uzeus in 84hp with a 1U row too.
No problemo.
And i dont give a shit about drum samples. I’m playin multi-minute field recordings and such.
And have plenty of routing and modulation going on.

I bought it from Patchwerks (they really fucked up my shipping, so NOT a bump for those folks). But maybe they got newer ones? Who knows, 2020 is a bag of mess

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:39 pm

exper wrote:

I just installed the update and I’m having no such issues.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm

trickness wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:39 pm
exper wrote:

I think it’s happening to certain people. I suppose most users are fine, but for those having issues, (which you can see easily on the 1010 forum), it’s not a great experience. It’s funny because I used to have an MK1 Bitbox and never had a screen issue at all. So I thought this would be a similar experience.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 pm

exper wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm
trickness wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:39 pm
exper wrote:

I think it’s happening to certain people. I suppose most users are fine, but for those having issues, (which you can see easily on the 1010 forum), it’s not a great experience. It’s funny because I used to have an MK1 Bitbox and never had a screen issue at all. So I thought this would be a similar experience.
I see you made one exception for the Natural Gate. ;-)

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Hahaha. Yeah. It’s worth my OCD frustration. I like RE’s designs (same guy as hexinverter, mutable, etc) but I’d kill for an aluminum panel.

I begged Grayscale to make an alternate, but no dice. ;)

menagerie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by menagerie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Anyone having issues with the Micro and clocking via CV? I'm using a Temps Utile to clock the Micro, but sometimes it drifts half a beat off. It may well be the t_u, but wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Apart from the clocking issue, really enjoying the module. Will update this post in case it turns out to be the t_u doing strange things.

EDIT: Turns out it was indeed the t_u doing strange things (some kind of drift due to the clock divisions?), clocking the entire system via my LXR drum machine -> t_u has solved this problem.

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Phil Frog wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:25 pm
Never had any issue with my Bitbox mk2 …
And I just noticed the manual was online, good!
Great to hear!
Just bought a MK2 to replace my MK1.
:guinness:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:17 am

I am still on the fence for a Bitbox Micro. Can someone confirm it has no issues when using it with a Meanwell RT-65B PSU?
Current racks / trade: ModularGrid

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:32 am

I had a problem with the screen brightness when I bought one of the last few bitbox micros from perfect circuit last month. The screen practically died, but it still registered samples and the touch screen worked, but the brightness acted as if it was set to a constant 0%. Very frustrating because I was really looking forward to it. I even updated it to 1.11 and it still didn’t work. If anything it made it worse

I talked to support at 1010 and they asked me to send it in for a repair free of charge. Turn around time was about a week, since we’re both in CA. Anyways I received a replacement micro after all the trouble. I’m assuming they couldn’t fix the one I sent in for some reason.

I’m happy with the replacement, haven’t seen any screen issues or anything. Big props to the folks at 1010music, they were very proper throughout the whole transaction

Just my 2 cents on the micro. I’m willing to bet their next batch will have resolved all the screen issues. It’s a new product, definitely needed that “beta” run to figure out the kinks or something

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 am

I also received a micro replacement. I'm giving it some time before I write them back, but so far I'm not seeing the issues with it shutting down my case at least. My reservation though comes from the fact that there is still flickering, just not as bad as the previous one I had. I find I can adjust the fine control a little to get it to stop for a couple of hours, but it ultimately starts again.

I'm trying to decide if I can (or should have to) live with that, or just request the refund that I asked from initially.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:30 am

i wanted to use the bitbox as synth box but i can't get it running

i converted 2 SD cards to fat32

downloaded the newest firmware in the forum

updated the firmware with one of the two SD cards

there is no sound coming and the module is glitching out strangely

i put the factory images into the SD cards and tried both (one 32 GB sandisk extreme the other one is a noname 64 GB one)

there are preset names popping up in the synth box but i can't select them or see the waveforms

what am i missing?

do i have to ''unzip the matrix.bin'' file? how would i do that?

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 am

Dennis wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:30 am
i wanted to use the bitbox as synth box but i can't get it running

i converted 2 SD cards to fat32

downloaded the newest firmware in the forum

updated the firmware with one of the two SD cards

there is no sound coming and the module is glitching out strangely

i put the factory images into the SD cards and tried both (one 32 GB sandisk extreme the other one is a noname 64 GB one)

there are preset names popping up in the synth box but i can't select them or see the waveforms

what am i missing?

do i have to ''unzip the matrix.bin'' file? how would i do that?
You don't have to do anything to the bin file except overwrite the old one with it when upgrading.
I use Sandisk without any trouble, not the extreme though, mine says "ultra".

Are you sure you have the entire firmware package? IIRC you have to download the original version
to get the content, then upgrade that to the latest bin file. It should be pretty big, 300 mb or something.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:11 am

You have to press the “Home” and “Info” buttons as the unit powers on to get it load the new firmware?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”