1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by xcc » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am

Peng33 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 am
scragz wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:43 pm
mk1 at Sweetwater for $400 right now
Damn...just bought mine at Perfect Circuit less than a month ago for $450, and I thought THAT was a good deal.
If it makes you feel better you probably would’ve paid tax on it at Sweetwater (unless you’re in CA).

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:19 pm

scragz wrote:
Damn! Too bad the MkIs can't accept the Synthbox firmware.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:35 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:19 pm
scragz wrote:
Damn! Too bad the MkIs can't accept the Synthbox firmware.
Yes they can. FX box as well.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Whaaaaat????? I thought the MkIs couldn't accept the new firmwares????? Oh, dear. Does that mean I'm $400 poorer now?

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Both Synthbox and FX Box firmwares were released for the MK I BitBox because there was no BitBox MK 2 back when they came out.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:32 pm

Aha! Thank you! Don't know where I thought I read that the MkIs couldn't accept those. Happy to be wrong on this one!

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 am

xcc wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am
Peng33 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 am
scragz wrote:
Damn...just bought mine at Perfect Circuit less than a month ago for $450, and I thought THAT was a good deal.
If it makes you feel better you probably would’ve paid tax on it at Sweetwater (unless you’re in CA).
Actually called Perfect Circuit today and asked if they had a price match policy. The guy who answered the phone didn't know, but took my name, email and phone number, and earlier tonight I got an email stating that normally they only match prices for a week, but she was happy to make an exception for me (I am two days shy of a month ago when I bought it), and applied a $50 credit to my Perfect Circuit account. I am a happy camper.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:20 am

studio460 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:32 pm
Aha! Thank you! Don't know where I thought I read that the MkIs couldn't accept those. Happy to be wrong on this one!
Double post...could not figure out how to multi-quote.

But yeah, it has less onboard memory and has no onboard effects like the Mk2 (which were only a delay and a reverb, iirc). So well worth paying $200 less for. I only wish it had the additional assignable outs like the Micro does.

That said, I am loving it for the month I have had it. I built my first Eurorack case, the Nifty Case, into my mixing case once I expanded to a Behringer Eurorack Go. It has a Nearness with a 7 attenuator module next to it, a gaping hole for the LRMSMSLR that the USPS apparently delivered yesterday, but which never actually arrived, plus a Sir Mix a Lot...and the Bitbox and a Clouds clone...and that is the entire rack completely filled with zero room to spare.

I say this because I love taking the 84 HP case away from the larger setup to avoid getting distracted, and can focus solely on manipulating samples on the Bitbox, running them through Clouds and back into the Bitbox to record as the sample is playing and being manipulated live.

Then once I have things to my liking, I can take it back to the larger setup and manipulate the samples (or sometimes, the 7-13 minute recordings) via modulation and further sound manipulation. Still have yet to sequence the samples via my BSP (though that is ideal, from what I have read) or any other means, but that is about next on the list.

Long story short, it has a screen and menus, which I told myself I wanted to get away from after the Disting EX left a bad taste in my mouth, but it is so intuitive and user-friendly that it is a pleasure to work with. Actually, in the newest firmware update (which you will most likely need to do, and which is a breeze...you can swap to any of the three "boxes" (Bitbox, FXbox and Synthbox) at will), it adds rudimentary granularity. And of course, last night I played with the granular settings live, ran it through Clouds, and then recorded the ensuing recursive granularity.

That said, I tried FXbox, and was not all that impressed. Cannot see why anyone would buy one for just that set of features. Holding out judgment on Synthbox, as I have been downloading Serum wavetables to dump onto it and then try them out. That might have to wait, though, as my Mob of Emus will be here Friday. :hyper:

And lastly, every time I see a post by you, I immediately identify you as, "That guy with the sort of attractive brunette woman in his signature, which has something to do with light."

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:39 am

Peng33 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:20 am
. . . And lastly, every time I see a post by you, I immediately identify you as, 'That guy with the sort of attractive brunette woman in his signature, which has something to do with light.'
Ha! That's so funny! She's a coworker who generously donated her time for my website on lighting technique. Well, I appreciate the detailed post. When I saw the Sweetwater sale price, I quickly auditioned a half-dozen FXbox and Synthbox videos online before clicking "buy," and came away a bit mixed as well, but I thought, "great deal—just get it!"

So, even though getting a Bitbox Mk1 at that discount seems like a no-brainer, I'm still unsure whether to cancel or just think of it as a good deal on some effects and synth-voices in a highly modulatable form (note that I already own a Bitbox Mk2). Edit: I think the second Bitbox at discount is worth it. The XY effects-control over three different FX is worth it.

Here's a larger picture of her:

Last edited by studio460 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:06 am

Perfect Circuit has a Bitbox Mk1 demo unit for $399.

7C
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 7C » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:48 am

does anyone know how to "unassign" a pad - just wanna empty it, not deleting the sample. i've spent 40 minutes with the manual searching every relevant page :D (ps: bitbox micro here)
soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/y6jbowbh
--
nonetheless bandcamp > https://tinyurl.com/qrt5bjp
nonetheless soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/yc98l8s5
--
racks > http://tinyurl.com/p4clpyp

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:39 am
She is more attractive the larger she gets.

menagerie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by menagerie » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:01 am

7C wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:48 am
does anyone know how to "unassign" a pad - just wanna empty it, not deleting the sample. i've spent 40 minutes with the manual searching every relevant page :D (ps: bitbox micro here)
I have wondered the same thing, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it! It's not the end of the world, but would be a nice feature to keep my presets clean.

7C
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 7C » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:38 am

hm...pretty strange this isn't implemented..just made a kit / preset and i can't load new samples as long as i can't ditch the one i don't need. so i have to start all from scratch...or delete the files from the card, which is rather stupid. oh boy.

EDIT: so apparently there is no dedicated clear pad function, but clicking on the waveform and selecting new record and then just exiting does the job as well.
Last edited by 7C on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/y6jbowbh
--
nonetheless bandcamp > https://tinyurl.com/qrt5bjp
nonetheless soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/yc98l8s5
--
racks > http://tinyurl.com/p4clpyp

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 am
She is more attractive the larger she gets.
Oh, she is lovely in person—one of the nicest people in our office.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Did anyone else here buy a second Bitbox due to the sale? I did and I guess I’m keeping it. The screen adds a lot to its utility but instead of buying two Bitboxes, even both at good discounts, together that costs almost as much as an E370! I just figured you get a pretty capable FX-unit (and four-note poly, if you’re into that sort of thing for modular) and an X-Y controller in one box for about the same money that would cost otherwise.

Since I own a bunch of regular polysynths, the only usage I might see me having is as another four-oscillator sound-source that I would mangle/muck-up somehow. Perhaps some super-low frequency machine. I dunno. Does the Synthbox do microtonal? Just re-read specs—almost forgot about the eight-wave table engine. Plus the Serum-import is pretty cool.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:58 pm

studio460 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm
Did anyone else here buy a second Bitbox due to the sale? I did and I guess I’m keeping it. The screen adds a lot to its utility but instead of buying two Bitboxes, even both at good discounts, together that costs almost as much as an E370! I just figured you get a pretty capable FX-unit (and four-note poly, if you’re into that sort of thing for modular) and an X-Y controller in one box for about the same money that would cost otherwise.

Since I own a bunch of regular polysynths, the only usage I might see me having is as another four-oscillator sound-source that I would mangle/muck-up somehow. Perhaps some super-low frequency machine. I dunno. Does the Synthbox do microtonal? Just re-read specs—almost forgot about the eight-wave table engine. Plus the Serum-import is pretty cool.
I kept my v1 Bitbox when I bought the v2. I have dedicated the v1 to Synthbox firmware.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:00 pm

seychmar wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:58 pm
I kept my v1 Bitbox when I bought the v2. I have dedicated the v1 to Synthbox firmware.
With that, I tried the FXBox firmware and was not that impressed. Thinking I might use the Synthbox firmware when I am not using it as a Bitbox...to the extent that I have been collecting Serum presets (I am not a Pee Cee user for music, so not sure if what is labeled as a preset as a download is what I need to use for the wavetable import to Synthbox) online over the last few weeks. Any info you can give me on this aspect (ease of importing/ease of use/file type needed/etc) would be appreciated.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:00 pm
seychmar wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:58 pm
With that, I tried the FXBox firmware and was not that impressed. Thinking I might use the Synthbox firmware when I am not using it as a Bitbox...to the extent that I have been collecting Serum presets (I am not a Pee Cee user for music, so not sure if what is labeled as a preset as a download is what I need to use for the wavetable import to Synthbox) online over the last few weeks. Any info you can give me on this aspect (ease of importing/ease of use/file type needed/etc) would be appreciated.
Pretty sure you can only use the wavetables from Serum, not the presets. That said, you only need copy the tables
to the bitbox, then you can select them to create presets from them. TBH though, I never actually tried to use them,
just assuming they wont work as the BB lacks much in the way of features compared to Serum.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:49 am

Yes, you can only import wavetables from Serum. But that is a great thing given that creation of wavetables in Serum is easy. And a lot of other wavetable synths use Serum format.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am

seychmar wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:49 am
Yes, you can only import wavetables from Serum. But that is a great thing given that creation of wavetables in Serum is easy. And a lot of other wavetable synths use Serum format.
Don't do Pee Cee music-ing, so no DAW or Serum for me. Which is why I was looking for pre-existing wavetables. What format are the files for the Serum wavetables usable by Synthbox?

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:04 pm

The wavetables are WAV files. However wavetable synthesis requires the WAV file to contain successive cycles of equally sized loops. Each cycle must be 2048 samples in length. I think many wavetable synths use this format.

Paxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paxxx » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 am

Hi guys, trying to find this in the post but no luck....

Is possible to use the 8 outputs of the micro individually? Or 7-8 are always the sum of the others?

Thanks In advance!

RonDMC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RonDMC » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:27 am

Paxxx wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 am
Hi guys, trying to find this in the post but no luck....

Is possible to use the 8 outputs of the micro individually? Or 7-8 are always the sum of the others?

Thanks In advance!

From the manual section about the outputs "Outputs 7 and 8 are the master outputs. They
will play the sum of the audio sent to all of the outputs."

Sadly one couldn't route a pad to individual outs and adjust the level independently (like eg the mpc2k used to)

kanstraktar
Common Wiggler

Post by kanstraktar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:33 am

Is it possible to create presets in Ableton? Just got mine and didn't try this yet, but looking at the preset live project and xml, I imagine it would be possible and it could speed up the process of creating kits. Is anyone doing that? Any tips, if so?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”