1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Looper

Post by pyrolator » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 am

Just wanted to give feedback on the Micro:
On Friday I used it in a (streaming) performance and it played 8 continous stereo-files from the SD-card rooted on the 6 outputs for over 30 minutes without any glitch and in time. Another step for performances without computer on stage.....

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 am

How is the firmware/backlighting issues on the new µ and full sized module. As someone with a little used OG bitbox I'm wondering if it worth the upgrade?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 am
How is the firmware/backlighting issues on the new µ and full sized module. As someone with a little used OG bitbox I'm wondering if it worth the upgrade?
Unless you definitely need the delay and reverb (which are super basic) or the HQ sample interpolation, they're pretty much identical both running the latest firmware.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Cheers man.

I really need to dig through some manuals for my Mk1..
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
For myself, the only reason to consider the Micro is due to the more flexible I/O. Wish they had the extra stereo pair on the OG or even on the Mk2.

stujay18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stujay18 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Just want to add that 1010 Music was great with my screen problem. They worked on it until it was fixed, were responsive, etc. Handled it quite well, and I'm really happy with the Bitbox Micro.

perx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perx » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:04 pm

For the Micro, can someone explain how the CV inputs work? Is it like the assimil8or where any input can be assigned to multiple tracks and parameters? The micro seems like a good sampler but there must be some drawbacks that I am not seeing

edit I should mention that Im asking when trigs and pitcher are controlled by midi.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:57 pm

perx wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:04 pm
For the Micro, can someone explain how the CV inputs work? Is it like the assimil8or where any input can be assigned to multiple tracks and parameters? The micro seems like a good sampler but there must be some drawbacks that I am not seeing

edit I should mention that Im asking when trigs and pitcher are controlled by midi.
The inputs can be individually assigned to pretty much anything per project. It’s even cooler when you’re controlling the module with MIDI since you’re not needing the inputs for triggers. I keep the first two ins for audio input, then have six more for whatevs (using Hermod to sequence it via MIDI).

blastitol
Common Wiggler

Post by blastitol » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:11 pm

I’m having an issue with looping. For some reason, when I try to loop on anything other than “clip” and “slice” mode, it won’t loop. I’ve noticed that in the sub menu for “clip” and “slice”, the loop mode can be turned on or off while all the other modes only give the option for forward and bidirectional. Am I missing something? Even when I try to adjust the start and end points on the two I’ve mentioned they will stop looping. I don’t get it. I e read the manual on this and can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing.

DruidTek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DruidTek » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:53 am

blastitol wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:11 pm
I’m having an issue with looping. For some reason, when I try to loop on anything other than “clip” and “slice” mode, it won’t loop. I’ve noticed that in the sub menu for “clip” and “slice”, the loop mode can be turned on or off while all the other modes only give the option for forward and bidirectional. Am I missing something? Even when I try to adjust the start and end points on the two I’ve mentioned they will stop looping. I don’t get it. I e read the manual on this and can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing.
Try adjusting the release time

hubsch
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Loopercv input i

Post by hubsch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am

Hey everyone,
I recently got a Bitbox Micro, but I’m having trouble getting CV modulation to work, so I’m wondering if anyone can help.
The manual talks about configuring a cv input to either gate, click or cv, but you can only choose one type.
The manual also says...
“If you want to use CV to play notes, you will need to use two inputs. Use the Gate for the pad to trigger the note. Use a separate CV input to modulate the pitch”
But isn’t each cv input mapped to its corresponding pad? (e.g cv input 1 triggers pad 1, cv input 2 triggers pad 2).
So after I configure cv input 2 to accept CV, how can I map it to modulate the pitch on pad/sample slot 1?

menagerie
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 1010 Music Bitbox - Sampler/Loopercv input i

Post by menagerie » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 am

hubsch wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:22 am
Hey everyone,
I recently got a Bitbox Micro, but I’m having trouble getting CV modulation to work, so I’m wondering if anyone can help.
The manual talks about configuring a cv input to either gate, click or cv, but you can only choose one type.
The manual also says...
“If you want to use CV to play notes, you will need to use two inputs. Use the Gate for the pad to trigger the note. Use a separate CV input to modulate the pitch”
But isn’t each cv input mapped to its corresponding pad? (e.g cv input 1 triggers pad 1, cv input 2 triggers pad 2).
So after I configure cv input 2 to accept CV, how can I map it to modulate the pitch on pad/sample slot 1?
On the main screen, use the encoder to highlight the sample whose pitch you want to modulate, press > to enter the sample waveform viewer, press > again to go to parameters, use the encoder to scroll down to pitch, press >, use encoder to select the Source, finally set the amount and if you want it to respond to 1V/Octave (I think you'll want this for what you're trying to do).

Liquidhair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Liquidhair » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 am

My Bitbox 1010 Mk1 puts out a a low sound when paired next to my other voices in the mixer. If I don’t have full level you can barely hear the drum sequences next to a plaits or similar. I have even tried outputting through VCV rack using ES-9 to see if was inside the rack but same issue. Anyone else have this happen?

I should have stated I have each cell volume raised also inside 1010 onboard mixer.

Kubase
Common Wiggler

Post by Kubase » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:50 am

Liquidhair wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 am
My Bitbox 1010 Mk1 puts out a a low sound when paired next to my other voices in the mixer. If I don’t have full level you can barely hear the drum sequences next to a plaits or similar. I have even tried outputting through VCV rack using ES-9 to see if was inside the rack but same issue. Anyone else have this happen?

I should have stated I have each cell volume raised also inside 1010 onboard mixer.
There’s also a master volume.

X15
Common Wiggler

Post by X15 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 am

wat? master volume, where? lol
i've had mine since mk1 came out never seen it

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:12 pm

X15 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 am
Tools -> Main

X15
Common Wiggler

Post by X15 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:21 pm

scragz wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:12 pm
X15 wrote:
Tools -> Main
right, it's probably where you can flip the ui and stuff.. i've been there, like once :D

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:15 pm

exper wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 am
Multi Grooves wrote:
Unless you definitely need the delay and reverb (which are super basic) or the HQ sample interpolation, they're pretty much identical both running the latest firmware.
Agreed! I have both, with a rebadged MkI running fxbox. However, I was a bit surprised to see how slowly the waveform-display still updates on the MkII. Was expecting a bit more speed given the upgraded processor.

Liquidhair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Liquidhair » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:09 am

X15 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:21 pm
scragz wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:12 pm
X15 wrote:
Tools -> Main
right, it's probably where you can flip the ui and stuff.. i've been there, like once :D
Lol. Thats awesome and fixed it I was at 70%

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:58 am

I'm interested into the micro but would like to hear some first hand experiences about using it for live looping/sampling.
I'm curious to know if I could sample something and use that sample in a seamless way (without audio interruption). For example, I sample something, then assign that sample to a pad, slice it and use that right away ?
Also, I saw in the Loopop video that he starts the recording of the loop from the loop page. Is it possible, once it's setup properly on the loop page, to go back to the clip launch page and start the sampling by hitting the clip assigned to the inputs that I choosed in the live-looping page. The idea would be to have several pads prepared for live-looping and start the process from the launch page wheevner I need to record a new loop.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:04 am

I love how Aaron of 1010music is suddenly surprised on his own forum that people would want to import multisamples into the bitbox, and he has no idea about how to do that easily.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:18 am

rayultine wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:04 am
I love how Aaron of 1010music is suddenly surprised on his own forum that people would want to import multisamples into the bitbox, and he has no idea about how to do that easily.
Strange. Seems like something that would be way less complex than much of the other stuff which is already in or has been added.

I've always used multisamples with my bitbox, but it's my own system using the slice mode, which can contain 60 samples. so each cell that i have are 60 samples each and i select them via my voltage block (that's really what sets the 60 limit).. its not similar to traditional multisamples which is velocity sensitive, but its not how i work anyways in euro.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:36 am

The mk2 and mikro have been out since April 2020, and there's absolutely no "here's the workflow for accomplishing x" on the site or forum.
It's up to the users to share kludgy solutions. The bitbox can't parse file names for note information or velocity. That seems like something that would be SO easy to add. We need to use the smpl wav metadata. Surely, I say to myself, this is something that can be done in Reaper, which has just pushed tons of feature updates for media metadata tagging and rendering. NOPE. 1010 Aaron uses Sound Forge and writes on the forum "It's overkill for editing WAV tags. I'm not sure of a good option." lolz. I guess I could learn how to use Audacity, but like maybe deal with simple ecosystem improvements instead of forcing your users to learn yet one more new thing. The development lifetime of the bitbox mk1 was marvelous. Yet we haven't seen a single feature request filled for the mk2/mikro in 10 months because of blackbox/bluebox focus.

anyway, Voltage block is going to be one of the first purchases when I start the next wave of case expansion. I really like how playable the bitbox becomes with a VB companion.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:54 pm

There must be a ton on his plate, how many modules does he program for, like 6-8 now or something (or do they have more programmers now perhaps) and for each module people are asking for more features, bug fixes.. ugh... 1010music seems like tiny company that has taken on way, way too much.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:38 pm

I worried very loudly here and on the 1010 forum that this would be the case, even before Bluebox was announced. The module rocks and I wouldn't pout and say I was burned or ripped off in any sense. But as I get better at using it, there's basic features that are missing and completely take me not just out of the bitbox ecosystem, but out of the eurorack ecosystem for NO reason. It's not Native Instruments Maschine-levels of frustration, but it's kinda headed there. The thing should at least be able to outperform the Akai 3000XL that I sold 19 years ago.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”