Verbos Bark Filter Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

regardless
Learning to Wiggle

Post by regardless » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:20 am

So after owning this thing for a month or so now, starting to find it's place. I recently just purchased a second bark filter. I can't find a single video demoing this thing as a 12 band vocoder. I imagine it probably can sound pretty good. Anyone have a demo of a couple of them?

Recitative
Common Wiggler

Post by Recitative » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:58 am

Damn! Two Bark Filters? That's awesome! You might have to be the one to make the demo of the 12-band vocoder. And I really want to hear that.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:06 am

Must be amazing, please record it!

regardless
Learning to Wiggle

Post by regardless » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Just got my second bark, so is there a way to patch both with only a few wires. I am thinking it can cause it's got left left and right outs idk tho I'm still very novice with this.

C14ru5
Wiggling with Experience

Post by C14ru5 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 am

For a 12 band vocoder, you'll need a minimum of 15 cables. Example:
- 12 cables going from the followers output of each band on the modulator module, into the corresponding level input of each band on the carrier module (all faders set to minimum)
- One cable with audio (such as speech or a drum loop) going into one of the "odds/evens in" inputs on the modulator module
- One cable with audio (such as noise or a saw wave) going into one of the "odds/evens in" inputs on the carrier module
- One cable going out of the "all filters" output on carrier module which is your end result

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:21 pm

I bought the bark filter and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite filters.

Excellent build quality for my first Verbos product, heavy and built well. Both sides of the panel are powder coated which feels heavy and quality in the hand. The components are laid out extremely well, its a shame they cannot be seen when mounted.

The sound is excellent out of this thing and is easily modulated or pinged with gates clocks CV, or whatever. Been running some complex osc's through it and it's tasty.

My initial purchase decision was heavily influenced by the envelope follower outs, this feature alone is worth it to me.

I've noticed that pinging the individual bands with a 10v spike results in some pretty sweet rhythmic additions. I've been using the ER-101 to modulate this thing with pretty good success.

Overall my succinct review of this thing is glowing, and works well with most of the other modules I have.

I'll post some demos some time soon.

Also, anyone have any good luck pairing other modules with this thing? It's pretty beast.
Last edited by Chartreuse-J on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Am I right to think that this filter would be really useful for extracting gates from field recordings (exclamation point is busted on this keyboard). I would like to try to use field recordings from nature to provide the rhythmic content of a patch and as far as I can tell this is the most fully featured envelope follower in euro, at least when it comes to zeroing in on specific frequencies. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

moogboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by moogboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 pm

visible cow wrote:Am I right to think that this filter would be really useful for extracting gates from field recordings (exclamation point is busted on this keyboard). I would like to try to use field recordings from nature to provide the rhythmic content of a patch and as far as I can tell this is the most fully featured envelope follower in euro, at least when it comes to zeroing in on specific frequencies. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
ADDAC System 601 Fixed Filter Bank! 8 band fixed filter bank with CV inputs for all 8 bands, individual envelope outs, and individual band outputs. I fucking love mine, I've been using it extensively for a very similar application.

At some point I'd like to get another one so I can do vocoding with them but I also really want a Bark Filter and a Bark Filter vocoder would be a lot of fun.

Recitative
Common Wiggler

Post by Recitative » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

visible cow wrote:Am I right to think that this filter would be really useful for extracting gates from field recordings (exclamation point is busted on this keyboard). I would like to try to use field recordings from nature to provide the rhythmic content of a patch and as far as I can tell this is the most fully featured envelope follower in euro, at least when it comes to zeroing in on specific frequencies. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I've done that with a recording of a drum loop in the bark filter, presumably it would also work with a field recording.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am

Are the envelope followers pre- or post-fader?

(Or did I miss a switch?)
Mabel encounters a peahen.

Worwell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Worwell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:53 am

This has been out a for a bit now so I would be interested in hearing user thoughts, experiences, reviews, gripes etc. It looks and (from the limited examples) sounds intriguing and the completist in me is GASing. Thanks in advance.

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

BUMP?

I am very curious about this. I had a love hate relationship with the HOsc. and this has all the best parts... and no buzzy sine waves! (unless I feed it to it).

Anyway - more examples would be great. They don't seem to be in too many shops ATM so it looks like the first run is in wigglers hands.

sexslut
Common Wiggler

Post by sexslut » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 am

Any idea when more will be released in the US? I'd love to get my hands on one.

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 pm

Just curious as how would you use the enveloppe folowers on this filter? I've been considering the bark filter too but always wondered about this feature

Arders Bergdahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arders Bergdahl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:37 am

funqpatrol wrote:Just curious as how would you use the enveloppe folowers on this filter? I've been considering the bark filter too but always wondered about this feature
I use them to generate interesting CV for basically every/anything.. so my typicall use is to route one, or two, sound sources through Bark Filter and use the envelopes to as cv to control .. whatever.. often panning, time of delay, stuf on Morphagene, filter settings.. A recent use was routing the output of Landscape FM Stereo Feild into bark filter to "control" 4MS Steroe Triggered Sampler.. a lot of examples over the last year in my soundcloud.. the stereo field STS stuff is in my signature right NOW.. (so it will not be if you read this a a later point in time, probably.. )
But for me, the extraction of CV from bark filter is my main use and it is a big part of most my patches since i got it.. I think that the Buchla version was more or less designed for Morton so that he could extract interesting CV using his voice in a live setting.. so use a microphone inte Bark filter and the voice is now the controller for your modular.. and you don't even need to ever HEAR the voice... so in that use it might not even be a filter.. or as i often use it is a filter and CV generator simultaneously
Always fun stuff on my soundcloud page:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/1472935" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 pm

Arders Bergdahl wrote:
funqpatrol wrote:Just curious as how would you use the enveloppe folowers on this filter? I've been considering the bark filter too but always wondered about this feature
I use them to generate interesting CV for basically every/anything.. so my typicall use is to route one, or two, sound sources through Bark Filter and use the envelopes to as cv to control .. whatever.. often panning, time of delay, stuf on Morphagene, filter settings.. A recent use was routing the output of Landscape FM Stereo Feild into bark filter to "control" 4MS Steroe Triggered Sampler.. a lot of examples over the last year in my soundcloud.. the stereo field STS stuff is in my signature right NOW.. (so it will not be if you read this a a later point in time, probably.. )
But for me, the extraction of CV from bark filter is my main use and it is a big part of most my patches since i got it.. I think that the Buchla version was more or less designed for Morton so that he could extract interesting CV using his voice in a live setting.. so use a microphone inte Bark filter and the voice is now the controller for your modular.. and you don't even need to ever HEAR the voice... so in that use it might not even be a filter.. or as i often use it is a filter and CV generator simultaneously
Thanks Arders for your insight, do you have a facebook/instagram where we can follow you or just soundcloud?

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

are the bands on this resonant?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:26 pm

resynthesize wrote:are the bands on this resonant?
I don't think so, they are fixed filters with steep cutoff slopes.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Post-Synthwave Track

Worwell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Worwell » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Just picked up the Bark Filter which is really cool.

Here is a patch with Just Friends and Benjolin:

[video][/video]

outfit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by outfit » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 pm

Is the signal path %100 analog?
Thanks

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:50 am

moegl wrote:don't understand why this is making such a fuzz. I mean, yes it looks awsome and the interface is great with the sliders and all, but ADDAC601 fixed filterbank has been around in eurorack for several years and does the same thing with 8 bands. = envelope outs for all bands, VCA for each band, and separate ouputs for each band, + odds and evens. the verbos module however has that cool scan & tilt function. but other than that everything has been around in eurorack for several years..
Yes, curious on thoughts now. Both sound very different. Even the Doepfer Vocoder sounds different. I might prefer the ADDAC for sound but the others do add a lot of possibilities. I bought the Bark assuming I could sell the ADDAC and Doepfers, but they are VERY different. Love all of them.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am

This has been out more than a year. I'm a huge fan of the Harmonic Oscillator so the design of this is really appealing to me. At the same time, I'm wondering if for sound design purposes it might be a bit too clean / "boring" when you are not feeding it very harmonically rich material. I'd like to ask owners:

1. how much use are you getting out of it?
2. Any noise or other issues? (I find the Dual Four Pole is pretty noisy but obviously it's a much different design)
3. If you raise a single band to max level, does it add drive or color the sound at all?

Outsider Sound Design
Common Wiggler

Post by Outsider Sound Design » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Abstract, robotic, alien insect, sound design with 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator and Verbos Bark Filter.

[video][/video]
Sound Design / Sample Packs
www.outsidersounddesign.com

Test Series Sound Design Blog
www.outsidersounddesign.com/blogs/news

Experimental Music
www.adarkplotofland.bandcamp.com

Brooks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brooks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 pm

Outsider Sound Design wrote:Abstract, robotic, alien insect, sound design with 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator and Verbos Bark Filter.
Some good Sci-Fi sounds here. R2D2! :r2:

Outsider Sound Design
Common Wiggler

Post by Outsider Sound Design » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Brooks wrote:
Outsider Sound Design wrote:Abstract, robotic, alien insect, sound design with 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator and Verbos Bark Filter.
Some good Sci-Fi sounds here. R2D2! :r2:
Thanks!
Sound Design / Sample Packs
www.outsidersounddesign.com

Test Series Sound Design Blog
www.outsidersounddesign.com/blogs/news

Experimental Music
www.adarkplotofland.bandcamp.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”