Verbos Bark Filter Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I've had it for a few weeks and I love this thing so much. The sound of the individual bands is fantastic and it works really well (better than I expected) when you "play" the bands separately. You can do this with sounds that don't even seem that harmonically rich and get interesting results.

One technique is to feed a sequence or morphing loop into the bark and a bunch of rhythmic envelopes (I use triggerman and Just Friends) to impose another set of patterns on top of that. Mix a few elements or send separate sounds to the odd and even inputs for more variation.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Voggg wrote:I've had it for a few weeks and I love this thing so much. The sound of the individual bands is fantastic and it works really well (better than I expected) when you "play" the bands separately. You can do this with sounds that don't even seem that harmonically rich and get interesting results.

One technique is to feed a sequence or morphing loop into the bark
Seems like the Morphagene must be a very nice pairing.

I'm really tempted to get this. Seems incredible for sound design as well as modulation. I recently got the Verbos Delay and I love it very much, it has really rekindled my interest for the bark. Hefty price tag and hp though.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:07 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
I'm really tempted to get this. Seems incredible for sound design as well as modulation. I recently got the Verbos Delay and I love it very much, it has really rekindled my interest for the bark. Hefty price tag and hp though.
Yeah I had to pull a few beloved modules out of the case to make room. Since I prefer a small setup, I rotate modules in and out somewhat frequently to deal with this.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:18 am

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :deadbanana:

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:31 am

Outsider Sound Design wrote:Abstract, robotic, alien insect, sound design with 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator and Verbos Bark Filter.

[video][/video]
Wow...love it......just decided to get one
"Drowning...................not waving!"

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:17 am

So after playing with this a couple of days I'm starting to really get to grips with it. It's a very -if not complicated- flexible beast. There's quite a lot of subtlety to be had within all these controls, and that's even before you start to create a whole new signal path for the individual outs. It is really CV hungry though ! Got a Quadra and Octasource next to it but I'm glad I have a Zadar coming my way soon. I had to take a full voice out to get it inside the case but so far it's been worth it

Here's a first thing I've recorded with it; Loquelic Iteritas Percido in, with the individual bands modulated by four Quadra enveloppes and a LFO into the center control.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BrfWNBglrO6/

PS: Envelope followers seem to be pre-fader aren't they ? Like on the Multi Delay it seems ?

PPS: I don't work with samples much but when I tried it at the shop I ran a drum loop from Assimil8tor in it and it sounded incredible. So much control ! It's a great stand alone FX. Same with noise, the guy said to me "you can pretty much play a whole show with just noise in this" and I must say that's quite true.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:41 am

Nice clip!
I absolutely use it with samples. In particular, pre-mix a few samples or sound sources that are at different points on the frequency spectrum so that they overlap but you can treat them separately.

Yes the envelope delays are pre-fader. Same also is true with Harmonic Oscillator outs.

Another trick is sweeping the pitch of an oscillator, putting it into bark and using it as sort of a cascading envelope generator (like the multi-delay)
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:So after playing with this a couple of days I'm starting to really get to grips with it. It's a very -if not complicated- flexible beast. There's quite a lot of subtlety to be had within all these controls, and that's even before you start to create a whole new signal path for the individual outs. It is really CV hungry though ! Got a Quadra and Octasource next to it but I'm glad I have a Zadar coming my way soon. I had to take a full voice out to get it inside the case but so far it's been worth it

Here's a first thing I've recorded with it; Loquelic Iteritas Percido in, with the individual bands modulated by four Quadra enveloppes and a LFO into the center control.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BrfWNBglrO6/

PS: Envelope followers seem to be pre-fader aren't they ? Like on the Multi Delay it seems ?

PPS: I don't work with samples much but when I tried it at the shop I ran a drum loop from Assimil8tor in it and it sounded incredible. So much control ! It's a great stand alone FX. Same with noise, the guy said to me "you can pretty much play a whole show with just noise in this" and I must say that's quite true.

C14ru5
Wiggling with Experience

Post by C14ru5 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 pm

The number of CV ins on my Bark Filter matches very nicely with the number of CV outs on my WORNG Vector Space :)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:05 pm

damn
yall really got my ear on this now, im sure we all know what that leads to....

quick question for anyone... in order to fit this in my rack, i have to ditch my more traditional filter. i see that this can be used as a pretty elegant lp/bp/hp with the spectral controls. When using in this type of manner, does any of the control equate to what would typically be resonance or Q control of a normal LP filter? in general do you think this could cover all your basic filter needs in a 6u complex oscillator type system?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm

damase wrote:damn

quick question for anyone... in order to fit this in my rack, i have to ditch my more traditional filter. i see that this can be used as a pretty elegant lp/bp/hp with the spectral controls. When using in this type of manner, does any of the control equate to what would typically be resonance or Q control of a normal LP filter? in general do you think this could cover all your basic filter needs in a 6u complex oscillator type system?
Don't know if that really answers your question but since we are all in the same boat here I had to kick out the Cwejman MMF6 and the WMD/SSF MMF to make space for the Bark and haven't regretted them at all. The thing is you have so much creative control over your whole spectrum; it's a filter yes and you can use it like one but the magic happens with the individual inputs and scanning options. You soon forget about your basic filter sweeps :)

On top of that you still you have the individual outputs you can mix and animate/sequence seperately which is like focusing on the frequencies you want like you would with a Lp/Bp/Hp. You can easily turn one sound/drone into three separate voices/layers.

However regarding Q I don't think you could replicate, except maybe playing with feedback ? there are two inputs (one for odd one for even). Not sure about that.

I'd say maybe if you can, keep another little filter in your case (I swap the Tip Top Forbidden Planet and WMD/SSF in and out in my 12u) ; but otherwise this does an incredible job for any type of filtering, creative and sound design need.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
damase wrote:damn

Don't know if that really answers your question but since we are all in the same boat here I had to kick out the Cwejman MMF6 and the WMD/SSF MMF to make space for the Bark and haven't regretted them at all. The thing is you have so much creative control over your whole spectrum; it's a filter yes and you can use it like one but the magic happens with the individual inputs and scanning options. You soon forget about your basic filter sweeps :)

On top of that you still you have the individual outputs you can mix and animate/sequence seperately which is like focusing on the frequencies you want like you would with a Lp/Bp/Hp. You can easily turn one sound/drone into three separate voices/layers.

However regarding Q I don't think you could replicate, except maybe playing with feedback ? there are two inputs (one for odd one for even). Not sure about that.

I'd say maybe if you can, keep another little filter in your case (I swap the Tip Top Forbidden Planet and WMD/SSF in and out in my 12u) ; but otherwise this does an incredible job for any type of filtering, creative and sound design need.
thank you, for the detailed answer based on how you feel about it. the fact that you kicked the cwejman alone with no regrets helps me, also ive seen you comment on other modules i hold dear (multi delay, rainmaker) so i think that i generally agree with your tastes.

you answer does confirm what i was basically thinking, that Q control cannot specifically be replicated but with all the options its not really missed.

really once i listened to demos the sound just spoke to me and now i must make it work
finally, last question for anyone: is there any known issues with bark filter to watch out for? searches seem pretty clear of reported issues afais

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am

got mine in. love it, no issues with anything
the sound really has struck me, the filter seems to give a nice subtle electric kind of quality. patching is a huge world to explore here, but whats initially blown me away is the ability to dial in super subtle sounds that i havent been able to before. really reaches a level of sound design for my system

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Glad you are enjoying it. It really has a specific sound quality which I like very much.Stuff you put through it ends up sounding a bit different and special. For a seemingly simple module -basic operation is dead easy- there are really a lot of patching opportunities. That's a quality most Verbos modules have, they grow with you !

I'm away from the whole modular at the moment but here's a little drone I recorded before the holidays :

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br23XoPhM2I/
TG One sample straight into the Bark, then into the Multi Delay Processor. There's also a separate chain for one filter going into a different delay.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:23 pm

really cool sounds
i agree, it has a special quality to it, hard to explain and best to hear in your own setting
im open to any patching discoveries anyone has made with it

your use of samples through it is great, im still debating if this has a better place next to my omega phi, or assimil8or... time will tell! either way glad i made the impulsive jump on this one

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm

When I tried it in the shop the guy ran sample loops from the Assimil8tor into it and it blew my mind. I don't know if those where stock loops or what but it sounded huge, and the Bark could cut into all those frequencies at will. The TG One comparatively has rather lo-fi samples; it has its charms too but so far my favourite source has been the Loquelic Iteritas Percido. Plain white noise is incredible too ! I need to buy me a simple noise source.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Anyone that has this module can post a good demo representative of the sound?
Does the sound out of the module is highly depending of the input?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Jaypee wrote:Anyone that has this module can post a good demo representative of the sound?
as we were saying, the whole thing does have its own character, a character that is very lovely and may be difficult to really show in 1 demo. its easy to hear if you put your own favorite vco into it, its subtle but very pleasing. it has a lot of options to sculpt that sound too as the filter’s ways to mix frequency bands together.

you can kind of get a feel for it in the perfect circuit demonstration with mark verbos

kingcons
Common Wiggler

Post by kingcons » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Welp, I've pulled the trigger on one myself. And I've been wondering, does anyone know the voltage range on this and the Multi Delay envelope followers?

Also, maybe check my sale thread to help me pay off my credit card? :hihi: :party: :help:

duncanperson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duncanperson » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 am

Jaypee wrote:Anyone that has this module can post a good demo representative of the sound?
I made a demo this evening, it starts with a basic square wave from the Verbos HO then straight to the Bark Filter with all faders up, input gain at about 50%. I do some wiggling on the faders, add a sawtooth to the 'evens' input, and finally a 6 phase modulation to the VCAs :banana:

For me it is definitely not a filter replacement, it doesn't sweep with the same effect as a filter. I use in addition to a Malekko dual borg.

http://soundcloud.com/duncansdisco/verbos-bark-filter

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:19 am

It is dependent on the input to some extent; it's a filter after all so you'll have more room for sculpting and playing around a very rich sound than if you plug in a sine wave. That's why drum loops, samples of any kind and rich oscillator tones are especially great.

But as we said, it has a character it can impart to relatively simpler sounds as well. It's subtle but it's there. Damase mentioned the Perfect Circuit video but in the one I found they didn't discuss the Bark Filter. I think in this one you can hear some of the character :

[video][/video]

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 pm

duncanperson wrote:
I made a demo this evening, it starts with a basic square wave from the Verbos HO then straight to the Bark Filter with all faders up, input gain at about 50%. I do some wiggling on the faders, add a sawtooth to the 'evens' input, and finally a 6 phase modulation to the VCAs :banana:

For me it is definitely not a filter replacement, it doesn't sweep with the same effect as a filter. I use in addition to a Malekko dual borg.

http://soundcloud.com/duncansdisco/verbos-bark-filter
. this is a good demo here id say
and a run through all the videos on modulargrid can sort of get the tone across. i was incorrect about the pca walkthrough(was thinking of the random sampling module that i was also scoping out recently)

yes, it does not replace a regular resonant filter, but its so so powerful in many other ways that i decided to dethrone one of my previous favorite resonant filters to fit it in

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:02 am

Some more insta snippet with the Loquelic Ietritas Percido into the Bark :

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsnuU9nhHce/

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 am

Again, a little snippet with LIP going into The Bark Filter. Haven't unpatched this combo in weeks; they work incredibly well together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtQwj1sh6uE/

Arders Bergdahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arders Bergdahl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 am

Just want to point out the greatness of the Bark Filter for generating CV almost all my patches uses that technique, in my latest clip (in signature) I have the Assimila8tor and E352 going into Bark filter. CV generated from the Assimilator is put into E352, and e352 signal from Bark is also affecting parameters on the E352 in order to get generative and unpredictable... CV from Bark filter is also used for 4 channel Panning with Koma Poltergeist. Clip is i Binaural so headphones work best..
My point is, don't forget the CV envelopes they are very usable...
Always fun stuff on my soundcloud page:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/1472935" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Just getting turned on to this puppy, but I just got a RxMx & Fxdf.....wondering if thr Bark would make it redundant/obsolete in my setup??

Return to “Eurorack Modules”