Verbos Bark Filter Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks! :)

I'm listening on shitty JBL go speakers, but I don't find any particular tone tbh.
Hmm.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:04 pm

It would be a bit counter productive to get the Bark only for such applications. I find it useful, it sounds great to me, but the Bark real character lies in its filtering/shaping capabilities and how you can CV and derive CV from it. I take the pings as a nice bonus.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Yes ofc. Amazing module! Thanks for your demos!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Droning LIP into Bark Filter mostly modulated by the very fun Pons Asinorum by NE. Also using one of the filter outs as additional percussion through a LPG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwcg0ifhnVX/

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 pm

Great clip!
One unexpected thing about the Bark is the extent to which you can shape quasi-acoustic sounds from a variety of sources. In this clip it sounds almost like steel drums. I've been able to get guitar, xylophone, violin etc in addition to steely and glassy sounds. It takes a lot of experimentation but it gets kind of intuitive over time. I get more of what I wanted from a "resonator" out of the Bark than I do out of Rings, which is still a lot of fun, but sounds very artificial by comparison.
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Droning LIP into Bark Filter mostly modulated by the very fun Pons Asinorum by NE. Also using one of the filter outs as additional percussion through a LPG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwcg0ifhnVX/

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Bark owners...can you confirm the response on the Width control, please? On mine, the knob does nothing until 10:00, then it is full open just past noon. The range seems very limited. I thought maybe it was slowly fading in the adjacent bands, but its silent until 10:00.

Center position only has a little effect on the range of Width.

modul8tr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modul8tr » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm

If you haven’t already, have you tried to see if you can sweep the full range with CV?

Mark just sent me an email about the possibility of the line on the knob being painted wrong on another module, yet still centered correctly on the D shaft. But that was just a tiny thing, your issue potentially sounds like something more.

Voggg wrote:Great clip!
One unexpected thing about the Bark is the extent to which you can shape quasi-acoustic sounds from a variety of sources. In this clip it sounds almost like steel drums. I've been able to get guitar, xylophone, violin etc in addition to steely and glassy sounds.
This is a precisely why I just ordered one! I think it will be very good friends with my Morphagene.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:31 pm

modul8tr wrote:If you haven’t already, have you tried to see if you can sweep the full range with CV?

Mark just sent me an email about the possibility of the line on the knob being painted wrong on another module, yet still centered correctly on the D shaft. But that was just a tiny thing, your issue potentially sounds like something more.
I just checked and the answer makes sense to me. An LFO from either Quadra or Atlantis will open the width full range. However, with the width knob fully CCW, I have to turn the CV attenuverter all the way to 3 o'clock to get any motion. Then, a tiny bit further and its opening most of the way. I can correct this by turning the width knob just before 10 o'clock, then I get better response from the CV attenuverter. It seems the main issue here is the width control, which makes sense.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:28 am

davidjames wrote:Bark owners...can you confirm the response on the Width control, please? On mine, the knob does nothing until 10:00, then it is full open just past noon. The range seems very limited. I thought maybe it was slowly fading in the adjacent bands, but its silent until 10:00.

Center position only has a little effect on the range of Width.
Ive tried with mine - when the width is really low and the frq is between two bands then no LED lights up or one of them barely. When I go to the 9'o'clock pos then it is one but fully glowing. a bit above that it's about three bands. at ten o'clock it is 5-6 bands, at 11 all except the most outside and at about 12 all.

Which makes total sense because: if you have the freq in the middle you need only "half the way" to get to both sides. But when you turn Freq all the way down and dial up width you need almost the full range to open up all the bands.
(then it turns in a pseudo low pass filter when you modulate Width. I really like to do that)

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanks kay_k, I appreciate you running this fire drill for me. I think our width response is more or less the same. And I agree that it must be that way so that when center is on the extreme right or left that it has enough range to open all the way up. It feels like it has a log response when I'd prefer expo or closer to linear. But I'm fine with it as is, Bark is making some sounds I've never heard before in my rig!
kay_k wrote:Ive tried with mine - when the width is really low and the frq is between two bands then no LED lights up or one of them barely. When I go to the 9'o'clock pos then it is one but fully glowing. a bit above that it's about three bands. at ten o'clock it is 5-6 bands, at 11 all except the most outside and at about 12 all.

Which makes total sense because: if you have the freq in the middle you need only "half the way" to get to both sides. But when you turn Freq all the way down and dial up width you need almost the full range to open up all the bands.
(then it turns in a pseudo low pass filter when you modulate Width. I really like to do that)

modul8tr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modul8tr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Looks to be the same in this vid.

C3P4
Common Wiggler

Post by C3P4 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 am

modul8tr wrote:Looks to be the same in this vid.

Those Learning Modular videos are excellent. Made the decision to get the Bark too easy :hihi:

FadingCanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by FadingCanvas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:16 am

davidjames wrote:Bark owners...can you confirm the response on the Width control, please? On mine, the knob does nothing until 10:00, then it is full open just past noon. The range seems very limited. I thought maybe it was slowly fading in the adjacent bands, but its silent until 10:00.
Frequency scan has some weird behaviour in my case, almost a kind of useless to me. The manual doesn't say anything about how it should work. But it doesn't work as I expect.

[video][/video]

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 am

looks like a broken module. you should contact verbos and send it to repair.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

modul8tr wrote:Looks to be the same in this vid.
So it is! And thanks for reminding me to rewatch these vids since finally putting a Bark in my rack.
FadingCanvas wrote: Frequency scan has some weird behaviour in my case, almost a kind of useless to me. The manual doesn't say anything about how it should work. But it doesn't work as I expect.
Agreed, this is not the correct behavior.

Pakipaki
Learning to Wiggle

verbos freq scan - broken

Post by Pakipaki » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:12 am

in my case also freq scan - broken :waah:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Still really haven't unplugged Loquelic Iteritas Percido from the Bark Filter...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3h6nyrhGaH/

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:39 am

For me it’s mostly Plaits in chord mode or Clouds Resonator thru it. Lots of delay on it. :guinness:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:22 am

Rich sources like these are just perfect. Chords must be great indeed !

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:13 am

Another quick snippet I need to expand on :

https://www.instagram.com/p/B49lEtVhg6S/
Loquelic Percido -> Bark -> T Resonator II -> Space

shockletit
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Verbos Bark Filter Processor

Post by shockletit » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks to Tumulishroomaroom's inspiration (and Instagram posts), I acquired a 2nd hand Bark Filter on Reverb this week (and broke personal best on spend for a single module). Enjoying very much in what little time I've had to get my head around it.

But when checking out the filter more closely this morning through wanting to really understand how it worked and through reading about some faults in the scanning with some modules here, I plugged in the Mangrove and experimented and discovered a few concerning things I'd like to try to get a view on from some other Bark users/more experienced Wigglers:

1) With no sound source plugged into the inputs, when panning across the filterbank with all faders down, there is an audible mid-range 'pfft'-type sound as the focus moves across the bank as it hits each filter (and the associated led lights up). Is this normal? With nothing plugged into it, it acts almost as a percussive voice? This happens with the knob and CV controlling the scanning. Width is turned down to 1 band. The noise seems to be more on the leading edge of the next band, rather then when leaving it.

2) Also, again with no sound source plugged into the Bark, if I push all of the faders up, there is audible noise. When I pull just one of the faders back to 80% it stops. And the noise is always on the last fader I pull up, so the noise moves around as to which fader brings it up on the last 20%. (With the exception of filter 6 which starts in the middle).

I thought it might be the power supply, (which is where the noob bit comes in - I'm using 2x TipTop uZeus supplies, which I think I read can be quite ditry), so I isolated the Bark and the headphone output/mixer module ( Unify) and a Batumi on a single supply and still heard the noise in both instances as described above.

Then I unpatched the Batumi and played around with the frequency sliders on it and discovered that those were audible in the Bark(!) - without even being patched. Ghost-patching anyone? I moved the Batumi to the other uZeus and that killed that issue, so I'm thinking that the power must be very prone to noise and cross-talk, etc.

Does anyone hear the scanning 'percussive effect' on their units?

What is a normal amount of unit noise when powered up with nothing plugged in? And does this peak at a certain point when all faders are up at 100%?

Definitely time for a proper case with a very clean power supply (and some more U) regardless, but I'm assuming that this will clear things up with the Bark and in the rig in general (which I knew had some noise, but I never really hunted that hard for it).

Or does it sound like a possible issue with the Bark that I should approach the seller or Verbos about? Or won't I now for sure until I do get another power supply whether there is a possible issue with the Bark?

Sorry, would post a video, but would take more time that I've got at the moment... thanks in advance for any comments/info. (And if anyone has any solid case/power supply recommendations, would be grateful - will begin searching the archives soon on that topic...)

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Glad I could inspire you to get this great module.

I tried reproducing your issues. I have no noise in mine until I crank everything on my mixer which is normal and not related to the Bark. With the input gain at max (usually have it at noon) and a reasonable level on the Performance mixer there is no noise. So I'd say the issue is with your power supply.Verbos modules need good power. I have a MDLR case with MDLR busboard and meanwell PSUs which works great, All the Intellijel cases I've tried (7u, 4u, Palette) worked great as well.

Regarding the "pfft" sound I never really noticed it before but it does the same when I send an Enveloppe into Center. I think it has to do with the fact that the filter are near resonant, so when you send something in it it sorts of "ping". Actually it does ping if you send enveloppes or triggers into the inputs. Nothing I'd worry about anyhow.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 pm

shockletit wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am

1) With no sound source plugged into the inputs, when panning across the filterbank with all faders down, there is an audible mid-range 'pfft'-type sound as the focus moves across the bank as it hits each filter (and the associated led lights up). Is this normal? With nothing plugged into it, it acts almost as a percussive voice? This happens with the knob and CV controlling the scanning. Width is turned down to 1 band. The noise seems to be more on the leading edge of the next band, rather then when leaving it.

2) Also, again with no sound source plugged into the Bark, if I push all of the faders up, there is audible noise. When I pull just one of the faders back to 80% it stops. And the noise is always on the last fader I pull up, so the noise moves around as to which fader brings it up on the last 20%. (With the exception of filter 6 which starts in the middle).
1) yes this happens for me with both of the bark filters ive had (new/recent revisions). its a small soft low end tap but it happens. Cant really hear it when im processing things. I just take it as part of the character

2) This exact issue happened to me very badly at first on brand new unit. After investigating it came down to the power supply i was using (intellijel tps80w). I had the distributor confirm the issue and both companies verbos/intellijel gave me good support. In the end I switched to Malekko Power 1.3 and installed an external busbar for 0v. If i really scrutinize the issue still happens, but its really at such a low level that its not a problem to me. My noise floor in general improved by 20db or so when i made this switch too.

Just make sure your relative gain is at a good level when testing these... ie plug in a 10v osc to see how the volume levels of your issues compare to the full level signal

shockletit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shockletit » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for the replies and the info guys. Greatly appreciated.

A 104HP case with good power and more space now moved to top of the list.

In the meantime, will enjoy the module and ignore my newfound noise.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Cross posting from the main Verbos thread as this makes heavy use of the Bark Filter with Loquelic Iteritas Percido going in. It's really fun to tweak "live" :

I wanted to do a little video about how I usually setup a track, starting from nothing. No saved patterns, just tweaking on the fly. I got a bit carried away and ended up with a 30min video. If you find yourself with too much time on your hands :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”