µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bravedog
Common Wiggler

Post by bravedog » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Your use of shift is a nice motion of the scale as a set of intervals over notes... could it be expanded to other patterns? thx

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 am

zed888 wrote:
tubbutec wrote: Parch 43
Hi. I normally wouldn't need to use that many notes/octave, but in another thread you said the input resolution was 36 notes/octave, so wouldn't it be impossible to use the Partch system? Thanks.
The maximum input resolution is 36 notes/volt (not octave)
The output resolution is much greater and only restricted by the number of notes in the scale.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:33 am

bravedog wrote:Your use of shift is a nice motion of the scale as a set of intervals over notes... could it be expanded to other patterns? thx
How? An example of what you are looking for would be great :)

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:42 am

bravedog wrote:Thanks for your helpful replies! The only one still not 100% sure is my question above #6 - I understand the Hz shown is input, so different Hz may quantize to the same note, but in this example the two Hz appearing to quantize to the same note are very different, ..
The frequency shown is not at all related to the CV voltage at the CV input, it's a frequency reading at the gate-input. There is no relation between the quantized notes and the frequency shown - you can also measure the frequency of a different VCO for example. Only if the VCOs are calibrated to give the same frequency at the same CV will the display make sense the way you look at it.
bravedog wrote: In English 'decimal' form..
Thanks was not aware that there might be a confusion here.

bravedog wrote: I do hope you still plan on implementing .kbm? I would use that feature.
Yes, started coding a parser already.
bravedog wrote: Again, thanks for these replies, I'll continue now through the manual and post more questions!
As someone else has pointed out before: It helps a lot using the module when going through the manual. The question about the number display above would have become clear immediately when connecting a voltage to the input. A similar thing can be said about the Hz display. This is in no way an excuse for an incomprehensible manual, just a suggestion to make understanding easier.

bravedog
Common Wiggler

Post by bravedog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:19 am

tubbutec wrote:
bravedog wrote:Your use of shift is a nice motion of the scale as a set of intervals over notes... could it be expanded to other patterns? thx
How? An example of what you are looking for would be great :)
Maybe it's more than is necessary, but... what I was thinking is, your use of shift envisions a scale anchored to a given root, composed [in a way] not of notes but of intervals which can be added to sum the octave/repetition interval. I think. Given this conception, your shift option allows a kind of shuffle, moving these intervals one at a time like moving cards from the top to the bottom of a deck.

But if these intervals can be rearranged, in theory rather than shifting them linearly, they could be shuffled in other ways, like moving the top card not to the bottom but to the middle of the deck. For instance, considering a pentatonic scale's intervals, we might call them int1, int2, int3, int4, int5 summing to the octave. Your present shift could move these to int2, int3, int4, int5, int1; int3, int4, int5, nt1, int2,; etc

But the intervals could also be rearranged changing their sequence, eg int1, int3, int2, int4, int5; int5, int4, int3, nt2, int1,; etc; all still summing to the octave and maintaining root Hz

Again maybe this is both overkill and hard to implement, but... seems kind of interesting, anyway that's what I meant! Even an expansion not allowing every possible permutation... just an idea

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 am

Tobias was gracious enough to supply me with a module sans-panel for adaptation in 4U.

To do it 2"s wide introduces some mechanical headaches beyond my skillset, so I've opted to make a 3" wide panel.

attaching the panel files i'm going to get from Schaefer/Front Panel Express if anyone else wants to use/modify them... this is in Loudest Warning format.

The cost is €37,85 + tax & shipping.

Will post some pictures when I get the finished goods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by johnchantler on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:17 am

Very cool!

I got curios and had a look at banana sockets myself.
however, to me it looks like you can fit banana sockets at the original locations just fine.
The length of the banana sockets I have here is 23mm. 9mm is the plastic part above the panel. Panel thickness is 2mm. That leaves 12mm below the panel.
µTune's panel is 13.8mm above the PCB, so it should fit..

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:30 am

yes, you're right. if you bend the metal tab you could fit these in the same location as they are on the original euro panel.

however to do them at ,75" 'serge spacing' in a 2" panel requires repositioning the pushbutton and I wasn't up for that... but very likely possible for someone with a finer touch !

zed888
Common Wiggler

Post by zed888 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

tubbutec wrote: The maximum input resolution is 36 notes/volt (not octave)
The output resolution is much greater and only restricted by the number of notes in the scale.
Ah, I didn't realize you could set number of notes/volt, but there it is in the manual.
Also I just noticed the sumptiple was released. Congrats- it's a great idea. Do you know yet if Perfect Circuit will be stocking it?

mmeixner
Common Wiggler

Post by mmeixner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:36 am

johnchantler wrote:Tobias was gracious enough to supply me with a module sans-panel for adaptation in 4U.
I'm just doing the same, but for 5U (MOTM) 8-)

Hoping, that the measurements are ok ...

This time, I'll try to 3d-print a holder for the module, since the jacks being separate cannot serve for this purpose.

I'll keep you updated!

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:41 am

mmeixner wrote:
This time, I'll try to 3d-print a holder for the module, since the jacks being separate cannot serve for this purpose.
i'm relying on the screw between the midi jacks to do this job...

mmeixner
Common Wiggler

Post by mmeixner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:58 am

johnchantler wrote:
mmeixner wrote:
i'm relying on the screw between the midi jacks to do this job...
Yes, I can see that. Maybe I just wanted an excuse to put my recently bought Anycube Photon to good use ... :hihi:

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:00 am

probably good to support the pushbutton in any case... keep us posted!!!

justintonation
Common Wiggler

Post by justintonation » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Any news on CV or trigger addressing (switching) of scales? I think this was planned for future firmware releases.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:07 am

New beta version is now available:
https://tubbutec.de/%C2%B5tune-updates/

Don't expect too much, still buggy, some features may not work correctly. Just a preview. So this is rather something for the curious:

– Improved frequency measurement: more stable and higher resolution
– Expander support
– ‘auto’ function for notes/volt input setting, chooses notes/v based on scale
– Autotune: closed loop tuning correction
– New flexible voice assigner based on midi input channels
– Added glide
– glide time paramter
– glide time cv control
– glide gate switch (auto glide when playing via cv/gate)
– Autotrigger: Automatic GATE-out trigger generationon note change
– SD card det. ignore switch option
– added more intervals to list
– Changed way channels are configured
– more flexible input/output routing
– CV2midi: now supports pitch bend or real time sysex tuning
– Midi2Midi tuning: Supports pitch bend and realtime sysex
– Midi router now supports sysex
– Load and save KBM files (only partially supported)

More to come, stay tuned (pun intended)

edit:
Not online yet, but already working:
- Current scale is saved internally and available on startup
- Select gate out polarity
- On hardware version 18+ : optional switch trigger/gate output
Last edited by tubbutec on Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 am

zed888 wrote: Also I just noticed the sumptiple was released. Congrats- it's a great idea. Do you know yet if Perfect Circuit will be stocking it?
Don't know, because have not asked yet. But I guess, yes.
Currently waiting for the photographer to send me proper pictures...
https://tubbutec.de/sumtiple/

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Will the checkout process remove VAT from the cost for US customers?

I was about to but a sumtiple in the tubbutec store but it looked like I would be charged VAT.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:26 pm

tenembre wrote:Will the checkout process remove VAT from the cost for US customers?

I was about to but a sumtiple in the tubbutec store but it looked like I would be charged VAT.
Yes, VAT is removed automatically when shipping outside of the EU.

windchill
Common Wiggler

Real-world accuracy with analogue VCOs

Post by windchill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 am

Are analogue VCOs accurate enough to seriously benefit from this wonderful module? Slow_riot asked the question some way back but I've not seen much response. I really want to pick up a uTune but will my Verbos Complex Oscillator, for example, be able to respond with sufficient precision to make it worthwhile?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Real-world accuracy with analogue VCOs

Post by tubbutec » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:14 am

windchill wrote:Are analogue VCOs accurate enough to seriously benefit from this wonderful module? Slow_riot asked the question some way back but I've not seen much response. I really want to pick up a uTune but will my Verbos Complex Oscillator, for example, be able to respond with sufficient precision to make it worthwhile?
Yes.
µTune offers two tools that help to improve the VCOs response:

- VCO calibration. calibrate the response curve for your VCO once. This helps against non-linearities in the VCO CV response. Already helps a lot and even works with 'shitty' VCOs.

- In the next firmware update (coming soon), µTune will also have a closed loop autotuning function. It constantly measures the VCOs frequency and adjusts the CV voltage accordingly. With this an almost perfect pitch stability is possible. See this video here:

windchill
Common Wiggler

Post by windchill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 am

tubbutec wrote:
Yes.
µTune offers two tools that help to improve the VCOs response:

- VCO calibration. calibrate the response curve for your VCO once. This helps against non-linearities in the VCO CV response. Already helps a lot and even works with 'shitty' VCOs.

- In the next firmware update (coming soon), µTune will also have a closed loop autotuning function. It constantly measures the VCOs frequency and adjusts the CV voltage accordingly. With this an almost perfect pitch stability is possible. See this video here:
Sold!
[starts looking at case to decide what has to go... one-in-one-out!]

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:16 pm

tubbutec wrote:New beta version is now available:
https://tubbutec.de/%C2%B5tune-updates/
I'm super excited about this new beta!

However... when I run the firmware updater, the screen just goes black... I was able to get it to restart in the old firmware though... so trying out 1.04 (although, it still says 1.02 on my boot up screen...)

Thanks for all the hard work!

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:59 pm

windchill wrote:Are analogue VCOs accurate enough to seriously benefit from this wonderful module? Slow_riot asked the question some way back but I've not seen much response. I really want to pick up a uTune but will my Verbos Complex Oscillator, for example, be able to respond with sufficient precision to make it worthwhile?
depends on how good your oscillators are. blacet vcos will track up to the 8th octave accurately, like a fraction of a hertz variance accurately.

sollichklang
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sollichklang » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:21 am

hey! is there a rough schedule for the expander modules?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 am

sollichklang wrote:hey! is there a rough schedule for the expander modules?
We are now beginning to manufacture a pre-series run for beta testing and code fixing.
If all is well, we will produce the first batch. We have all the parts and panels already, so it's a matter of how fast we can get the firmware running perfectly.
No date (sorry), but I hope this gives some perspective.
Yes, takes much longer than anticipated, but the complexity and versatility of the setup (everything freely configurable, various number of channels) posed quite a challenge. Almost there

Return to “Eurorack Modules”