µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

akrenaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akrenaut » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 am

Just received my µTune today. Looking forward to many hours of experimenting with new scales. Thank you Tubbutec!!

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:34 am

tubbutec wrote:
sollichklang wrote:hey! is there a rough schedule for the expander modules?
We are now beginning to manufacture a pre-series run for beta testing and code fixing.
If all is well, we will produce the first batch. We have all the parts and panels already, so it's a matter of how fast we can get the firmware running perfectly.
No date (sorry), but I hope this gives some perspective.
Yes, takes much longer than anticipated, but the complexity and versatility of the setup (everything freely configurable, various number of channels) posed quite a challenge. Almost there
Anxiously awaiting the expanders release!!!

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 am

antonriehl wrote:
tubbutec wrote:New beta version is now available:
https://tubbutec.de/%C2%B5tune-updates/
I'm super excited about this new beta!

However... when I run the firmware updater, the screen just goes black... I was able to get it to restart in the old firmware though... so trying out 1.04 (although, it still says 1.02 on my boot up screen...)

Thanks for all the hard work!
same happens here for me.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:37 am

johnchantler wrote:
antonriehl wrote:

However... when I run the firmware updater, the screen just goes black... I was able to get it to restart in the old firmware though... so trying out 1.04 (although, it still says 1.02 on my boot up screen...)

Hi, do you mean when you try updating to 1.04 you get a 1.02 reading? Or do you mean when updating to the beta you get a black screen?
If it is the latter, please try the following:
While still running 1.0x, first press 'Reset to default'. Then perform the update. If the update is successful, 'Reset to default' again.

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:10 am

tubbutec wrote:
johnchantler wrote:
antonriehl wrote:

Hi, do you mean when you try updating to 1.04 you get a 1.02 reading? Or do you mean when updating to the beta you get a black screen?
While still running 1.0x, first press 'Reset to default'. Then perform the update. If the update is successful, 'Reset to default' again.
Hi!
When I try to update to the Beta, I get a black screen. I tried resetting to default, and then updating several times, but every time I would get the black screen, and so had to revert to 1.0x.

Once I reverted to 1.0x, I thought I would at least update to 1.04, and the updater seems to work, but when rebooting the unit, the readout still says 1.02. Is there another way to verify which version I am running?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 am

The 1.04 version that is currently online incorrectly identifies as 1.02. So that is ok.

Why you would get a black screen I do not know. Which hardware version di you have?

thanks

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:18 pm

tubbutec wrote:The 1.04 version that is currently online incorrectly identifies as 1.02. So that is ok.

Why you would get a black screen I do not know. Which hardware version di you have?

thanks
Thanks for looking into this. My hardware is version 17.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this.

Pldvs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pldvs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

I love this module!!
is it possible to have certain intervals in specified octaves? Like if I wanted to make a scale of the harmonic series not reduced to the same octave?

I’m trying to get my microtonal scale knowledge up, but I mostly wanted this module to get everything really well intune without beating... or controlled beat frequencies

I just made this video of a quadrature oscillator calibrated w utune and the scale tweaked to the most obvious harmonics of the LZX visual cortex frame rate, 29.97fps

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:39 pm

That's pretty sweet!!! I didn't think to use with LZX Visual Cortex. Thanks for sharing.

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 am

tubbutec wrote: Hi, do you mean when you try updating to 1.04 you get a 1.02 reading? Or do you mean when updating to the beta you get a black screen?
this worked for me.

where do i find the autotune mode?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 am

johnchantler wrote: where do i find the autotune mode?
Currently under channel settings, autotuning speed. The whole procedure is currently a bit tricky, but we are working on a way to make this easily usably in the final release

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 am

Pldvs wrote: is it possible to have certain intervals in specified octaves? Like if I wanted to make a scale of the harmonic series not reduced to the same octave?

I’m trying to get my microtonal scale knowledge up, but I mostly wanted this module to get everything really well intune without beating... or controlled beat frequencies

I just made this video of a quadrature oscillator calibrated w utune and the scale tweaked to the most obvious harmonics of the LZX visual cortex frame rate, 29.97fps

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

You can define a scale with as many notes as you like and spanning over multiple octaves.

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 am

Phil999 wrote:the module arrived today at my place, and, immediately after installing, changed everything. To hear two synth voices from my modular system in non-ET is a revelation. My first random choice was the Bulgarian bagpipe scala file from the provided SD card. It was a very good idea to put two channels into the module! Needless to say that with microtonal scales it is very important to hear an interval between two notes. Especially if you are not familiar with that particular scale yet.
How you make it duophonic- that each channel will play different note ? by sending different cv to the input of each channel ?

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Are we close to finalizing?:

1. uTune B.10 beta OS to official version 1.10;
2. uTune Expanders release.

Wondering the progress above and TIA for updates!!!

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:18 am

Mistake

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 am

When updating to a new firmware - do I need to delete the old uTuneFW.ebi from the root folder on the sd card ?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 am

ketem13 wrote:When updating to a new firmware - do I need to delete the old uTuneFW.ebi from the root folder on the sd card ?
Delete and replace, yes.
µTune will always read the uTuneFW.ebi file in the root when updating.

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:01 am

tubbutec wrote:
ketem13 wrote:When updating to a new firmware - do I need to delete the old uTuneFW.ebi from the root folder on the sd card ?
Delete and replace, yes.
I load the µTune B.10 file and when I press the firmware update button it wrote to me that file update not found. :hmm:

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:03 am

ketem13 wrote:
tubbutec wrote:
Delete and replace, yes.
I load the µTune B.10 file and when I press the firmware update button it wrote to me that file update not found. :hmm:
Did you unzip the file?

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:14 am

tubbutec wrote:
ketem13 wrote:
tubbutec wrote:
Delete and replace, yes.
Did you unzip the file?
Yes of course.

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:19 pm

tubbutec wrote:While still running 1.0x, first press 'Reset to default'. Then perform the update. If the update is successful, 'Reset to default' again.
I've tried this a couple times. Same thing, it always goes to black on B10

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:21 am

So there seem to be a couple of problems updating to the beta. Will investigate, unfortunately so far all modules I tried updating worked.

@ketem13 I get notifications for this thread so I can see your original posts including the music you shared and then deleted. Please feel free to share your tracks, they sound great :)

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Will this support multichannel midi in (MPE) to microtonal multichannel midi out?

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:23 am

tenembre wrote:Will this support multichannel midi in (MPE) to microtonal multichannel midi out?
Currently only monphonic pitch bend and sysex tuning messages are supported. MPE multichannel is on the TODO list, but requires a complete voice assigning algorithm

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 am

tubbutec wrote:
tenembre wrote:Will this support multichannel midi in (MPE) to microtonal multichannel midi out?
Currently only monphonic pitch bend and sysex tuning messages are supported. MPE multichannel is on the TODO list, but requires a complete voice assigning algorithm
If the module is being sent note data that has already been split by channel (e.g. from a linnstrument or other controller in channel per note mode), no voice assigning would be necessary. The controller already did that. You'd just need to send the pitch bend data on the same channel as the note message it corresponds to. Could that be supported?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”