µTune - Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:36 am

tenembre wrote:
tubbutec wrote:
tenembre wrote:Will this support multichannel midi in (MPE) to microtonal multichannel midi out?
Currently only monphonic pitch bend and sysex tuning messages are supported. MPE multichannel is on the TODO list, but requires a complete voice assigning algorithm
If the module is being sent note data that has already been split by channel (e.g. from a linnstrument or other controller in channel per note mode), no voice assigning would be necessary. The controller already did that. You'd just need to send the pitch bend data on the same channel as the note message it corresponds to. Could that be supported?
That is already supported (in the beta firmware)

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 pm

tubbutec wrote:
tenembre wrote:
tubbutec wrote:
tenembre wrote:Will this support multichannel midi in (MPE) to microtonal multichannel midi out?
Currently only monphonic pitch bend and sysex tuning messages are supported. MPE multichannel is on the TODO list, but requires a complete voice assigning algorithm
If the module is being sent note data that has already been split by channel (e.g. from a linnstrument or other controller in channel per note mode), no voice assigning would be necessary. The controller already did that. You'd just need to send the pitch bend data on the same channel as the note message it corresponds to. Could that be supported?
That is already supported (in the beta firmware)
Awesome! But how do you set up the module for that? I only see an option for choosing a single midi channel for each of the two outputs.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:28 am

tenembre wrote:
Awesome! But how do you set up the module for that? I only see an option for choosing a single midi channel for each of the two outputs.
In the beta, you can set up midi retuning in the midi note router. Currently this uses the settings from midi out, so you need to set midi out mode to pitch bend with the desired range. A separate parameter will be introduced eventually.

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:38 am

sending midi gate from the gate output.

so I got an 0 coast which has a midi input.

I try to send midi gate from the gate out of the utune to the midi in of the 0 coast and then the gate out of the 0 coast to trigger some envelope but nothing is happening.

any helps with the above ?

Thanks

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 am

Moved your question to the Tubbutec support forum:

viewforum.php?f=78

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Is the "Send sysex dump of tuning" feature working yet?

Selecting that option does nothing, and when I hooked up a midi monitor and selected it, no data was seen...

Some sort of popup window or something showing progress would be helpful.

(I have the beta firmware installed).

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 am

Yes it is working. However you need to set the routing in 'sysex routing' (below note routing and clock routing)

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm

tubbutec wrote:Yes it is working. However you need to set the routing in 'sysex routing' (below note routing and clock routing)
Thanks.

Is it possible to set the MTS preset (program number) yet? Per this, earlier in the thread:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
My apologies if this has already been discussed -

Is it possible to send MTS bulk tuning dumps from the uTune?
If so, is it possible to edit the program number* of MTS files on the uTune, so that the tuning is sent to a particular tuning preset on the target synth?

I'm thinking of the Prophet Rev 2 in particular, which can accept MTS tuning dumps targeted at tuning program numbers 1-17.

(* I could imaging possibly having to also edit the device id of an MTS bulk tuning dump, but the rev2 id is 00 which is probably standard).

Hi this feature is on the TODO list and will definitely be implemented soon

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:10 pm

criminally underrated module
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:23 pm

mafouka wrote:criminally underrated module
by whom? virtually no one makes microtonal music. it's a criminally underrated endeavor.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:46 pm

sizone wrote:
by whom? virtually no one makes microtonal music. it's a criminally underrated endeavor.
Profound!!

Just an absolute beast of a module

Difficult to transcribe into words my personal experience with it well enough. It's an adventure exploring microtonal scales through quantization

Tubbutec takes the cake!!!
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 pm

2 to tango. . . :goo::goo:
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:06 am

tenembre wrote: Is it possible to set the MTS preset (program number) yet? Per this, earlier in the thread:
No not yet, it's currently set to 0

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:17 am

New beta 1.11 available

A few bug fixes and some more features since the last beta. Warning there are probably still some bugs and this is more suitable if you want to experiment:
https://tubbutec.de/%c2%b5tune-updates/

BETA 1.1:
- TUNER: BPM Display, Cent display
- Improved frequency measurement: more stable and higher resolution
- Expander support
- 'auto' function for notes/volt input setting
- Autotune: closed loop tuning correction
- New flexible voice assigner
- Changed way channels are configured
- Added glide
- glide time paramter
- glide time cv control
- glide gate switch
- Autotrigger: Automatic trigger generation on note change
- Adjustable length for trigger output
- sd card det. ignore switch
- added more intervals to list
- more flexible input/output routing
- microtonal midi to midi mapping
- microtonal mapping and cv2midi now support pitch bend and sysex tuning realtime messages
- midi router for sysex messages
- Load and save KBM files (only partitially supported)
- Current scale is saved internally and availible on startup
- Select gate out polarity
- On hardware version 18+ : optional switch trigger/gate output
- Midi2CV now also supports midi controller messages
- Send scale as midi tuning dump
- Clock generator
- New main menu introducing TOOL and TUNE menus

BETA 1.11
- Automatic VCO calibration (not quite working yet)
- check for corrupted settings
- Save last scale as file uTune/lastScale.scl
- Output notes now do not show deactivated notes
- Channel config now contains 'ALL' entry.
- Gate out can be inverted
- HW18 and expanders: Optional 'switch'-type gate outputs
- VCO calibration is now saved
- Expander firmware updater
- Use existing divider settings for midi clock and internal clock
- display detected expanders on startup
- fixed a bug in keyboard mapping

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:23 am

Awesome!

Will someone share patching tips regarding velocity? Mine is werking great controlling VCF cutoff and resonance, however, what about amplitude? It just drones the VCA the way i have it patched. I don't always like to use a filter, so it would be more better if i could get velocity going the way i imagine...

Edit: I think i'll try Dual Mono CV2 set to Velocity, patched into Oakley ADSR/VCA, then mix that with the envelope controlling the Audio VCA.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 am

Thorsday wrote:Awesome!

Will someone share patching tips regarding velocity? Mine is werking great controlling VCF cutoff and resonance, however, what about amplitude? It just drones the VCA the way i have it patched. I don't always like to use a filter, so it would be more better if i could get velocity going the way i imagine...

Edit: I think i'll try Dual Mono CV2 set to Velocity, patched into Oakley ADSR/VCA, then mix that with the envelope controlling the Audio VCA.
Yes, this sounds reasonable. The volocity output is a constant voltage for each note, not a ADRS envelope. So it must be combined with an ADSR or other envelope generator.

[Before someone asks: Yes it would be possible to create an envelope in the µTune, yes I put it on the TODO list :nut: ]

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:30 am

Understood, thanks! A simple AD envelope in a sub menu married to that velocity CV2 out would be outstanding!

bravedog
Common Wiggler

Post by bravedog » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:11 am

I'll be installing 1.11,great to see it is implementing some .kbm functionality! Could you say something about how to use it in the unit, and the current limitations?

Install instructions says settings must be reset to default, is there a particular process that should be gone through for this? thx

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:53 am

bravedog wrote:I'll be installing 1.11,great to see it is implementing some .kbm functionality! Could you say something about how to use it in the unit, and the current limitations?

Install instructions says settings must be reset to default, is there a particular process that should be gone through for this? thx
Just press, 'Reset to default' in the CONF menu after installing the new firmware.

.kbm currently only supports 'middle note', 'reference note' and 'reference frequency', but not the individual key assign scheme. Implementing this will need restructuring of internal µTune algorithms.
Middle note sets the center of your scale. This note number will always have the 'middle voltage' applied to it, no matter which scale you use. The scale is then constructed around this mid-point. I will explain this in more detail in the manual.

Keep in mind: This is a beta and will contain bugs.

Scatterfold
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Scatterfold » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:50 pm

you've made a really lovely module here; going to be so central to what i do. have been manually tuning things for years so :hail:

only personal niggle: having to use offsets to +/- incoming cv for scales; would be really good if everything could be set as 0-10v but maybe that's a naive ask?
Soundcloud

[bandcamp width=400 height=307 album=165726047 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333 artwork=small]

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 am

Very nice melody, love it!
Scatterfold wrote: only personal niggle: having to use offsets to +/- incoming cv for scales; would be really good if everything could be set as 0-10v but maybe that's a naive ask?
Not sure if I understand this correctly. Maybe you can describe your setup. Why do you need to use offsets?

zoo212
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zoo212 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Am I correct that the new BETA will support MIDI CC — i.e. can it convert
CCs to CVs? Or did it already and I missed that. I'm looking forward to receiving this module very shortly and ultimately midi cc to cv will become important.
"We are shaped by the fashion we love." - Goethe. No it's not.

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am

zoo212 wrote:Am I correct that the new BETA will support MIDI CC — i.e. can it convert
CCs to CVs? Or did it already and I missed that. I'm looking forward to receiving this module very shortly and ultimately midi cc to cv will become important.
You can already select an output as 'controller', but the actual functionality is not implemented yet.... it is a beta version...
but obviously it will be implemented soon..

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 am

sizone wrote:
Then Korg sure has wasted one hell of a lot of money incorporating micro-tonal capabilities in the Monologue and the new Minilogue XD.

I was made to understand that Daft Punk used quite a bit of u-tonal stuff.

Then again, there's a solid chance that I've got this going on .....

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Then Korg sure has wasted one hell of a lot of money incorporating micro-tonal capabilities in the Monologue and the new Minilogue XD.
maybe. compared to all the other expenses in getting a synth built, I'm sure the amount of resources to implement a flexible tuning system is pretty minimal. it's a matter of putting in a matrix and a means of populating it.

I doubt anyone ever refused to buy a synth because it had microtonal support. but I wouldn't have bought either the monologue or the pro 12 if they didn't.

it's an interesting cart and horse problem. no one demands a feature that they don't know about. one of the main reasons so few people futz around with alternative tunings is because so few things have support for them. but if it's an idea whose time has come, if the few people already into it are vocal about demanding it and if it's relatively trivial to implement, it will eventually become a standard feature.

which is kind of what happened with the monologue, richard d james insisted on microtunig as a condition of his involvement. the synth sold, and is selling, very well. a lot of people who didn't know anything about doing non 12tet music now do because it's a feature on a piece of gear that they bought. a lot of those people, when the prologue came out, were vocal and said "no microtuning, that's dumb, they already have the libraries for it written". and here we are, microtonal support is advertised right at the top of the feature set for the xd.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”