Starthief's Eurorack adventure, 2016-???

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Starthief's Eurorack adventure, 2016-???

Post by starthief » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Maybe it's not really a PLL in there, but I use that as shorthand for that mode. It's really screwy at doing its job, whatever it's doing internally :hihi:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:37 pm

I wound up trading my HD mk3 for a second Stages, and shuffled modules around to prepare...
modular_feb_23_2020.png
With the VCFQ and FM Aid plugged in to the bus for the next row up, the power load is pretty well balanced and hopefully the PSUs will deal with it.

I left a gap for the incoming Stages. E520 will take over the right side of the second row from the bottom, and Typhoon will go into the gap on the left, leaving 5hp that I have no plan for at this time. Maybe something without much power draw :D More likely I will hold off until there's some must-have module announced and let go of a few of my lower priority modules as needed to make space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:06 am

I'm really liking having that second Stages. :tu:

Kind of thinking about a Zorlon Cannon mk2. It would neatly button up the remaining space (if I sell Contour) and even out Hertz Donut's odd HP. Plus more importantly, it's damned interesting. If it was just noise, I wrote a VST plugin with multiple noise generation algorithms including LSFR that I could pipe through the modular... but there's the gates and random CV and chord drones and such.

Speaking of chord drones, I'm really feeling the love for Akemie's Castle. The architecture of it, with CV control over the 4 operators feeding two oscillators, can lead to some fun correlated-but-semi-independent patches. Plenty to experiment with and a great sound. I've got 36 minutes of good material so far for a Castle-centric album. I've also been dipping a bit into sampled loops and heavily processed Lyra-8 along with it, and getting more use out of my filters :party:

I've been trying to sell a few bits of gear for a while now with no takers. The Arquitecto pedal has a bunch of watchers on Reverb and no offers, despite a lower price than everyone else. :despair: I know the market here seems to have slowed down compared to a couple of years ago, but I felt like I could rely on Reverb for pretty quick sales.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 pm

"Kind of thinking about it" became "I bought one." And for whatever reason, three of the four things I was selling all went today.

So I expect this is going to be my rack for a good while:
rackplan_35.jpg
(I originally said something about rearranging them to fit all the black panels in a single 114HP row. As soon as I tried to do that on ModularGrid I realized I'd miscounted, so nevermind!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:23 pm

The Zorlon arrived today. It's as versatile as I hoped -- in this evening's patch it served as CV sequencer, gated modulation source, a good solid bassline (with quite a lot of help from Natural Gate and a couple compressor/saturator plugins), plucky lead (with Natural Gate and Mimeophon), rad Atari noise source and Rings feeder. It also is a good companion for Marbles, which can clock it and re-quantize the pitch CV.

I like that it can give me entirely different flavors of random and psuedo-random than Marbles alone.

I don't fully understand the editing section, but I'm not sure understanding is really required or helpful beyond a very general sense. All the stuff about maximal tap configurations in the short manual are not helpful, though a better explanation of the display might have been. (I guess it's showing the length and taps simultaneously, but you can't necessarily tell whether the last bit is part of the tap config.)

And of course, get some crunchy LFSR noise going and sweep the frequency and it's instant Defender (or of course Yar's Revenge) :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”