Just Friends: 1 - Metropolis: 0, a word of WARNING

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:27 am

Yes, great to hear salvation is near!

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:14 am

Indeed.... Thanks, Whimsical Raps!

"Making it Right" even when it came out wrong the first time is the mark of a first-class operation.

Thanks (and now I can contemplate getting a Just Friends again).

Say, you might want to put a paint dot (fancy metallic colored) on the backside somewhere to let people know that the mod is already done.

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

hadj
Common Wiggler

Post by hadj » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:39 am

What a lovely response I got from Gil! Proof, it was ever really needed, that he really cares about the amazing products he builds - and how we use them.

Cheers Gil, top bloke!

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:25 am

hadj wrote:What a lovely response I got from Gil! Proof, it was ever really needed, that he really cares about the amazing products he builds - and how we use them.

Cheers Gil, top bloke!
Indeed :)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:07 am

Great response time! Excellent news

Nofrenchtests
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nofrenchtests » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 am

Anyone heard anything? I sent an email a couple of days ago to ask where things are at. No reply as of yet.

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:10 pm

Ouch, just spotted this and caught up... Great to hear there's a fix for this coming, and my best wishes to all those affected - I can only imagine how hard this must be for WR to deal with.

Despite the obvious; wow, what a great thread, in particular thanks to PM33AUD, wsy and pinchettes for some very insightful and informative posts - I learned things!!

Thank you :tu: :tu: :tu:

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Baddcr wrote:Despite the obvious; wow, what a great thread, in particular thanks to PM33AUD, wsy and pinchettes for some very insightful and informative posts - I learned things!!
NP! I learned some stuff too... I already did that slick vise grip trick wsy mentioned (actually a hemostat, but same effect). Works like a champ!
:tu:

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:04 pm

PM33AUD wrote:
Baddcr wrote:Despite the obvious; wow, what a great thread, in particular thanks to PM33AUD, wsy and pinchettes for some very insightful and informative posts - I learned things!!
NP! I learned some stuff too... I already did that slick vise grip trick wsy mentioned (actually a hemostat, but same effect). Works like a champ!
:tu:
Haha yeah, my eyes widened at that too... classic in the making!!! If it isn't already - I almost want something to break so I can try it :cloud:

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Yes, patiently waiting to hear about what that solution is.

An update on progress would be great.

whimsical
Common Wiggler

Post by whimsical » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Apologies it's taken a little while to confirm our modification would solve the issue, but finally have confirmation that Metropolis is safe as a result. Unfortunately the modification is quite involved and requires the module be sent in to be implemented.
If you'd like to know more, have a read through the updated outline here which details how to send your module in for repair if you so desire.

david_rothbaum
Common Wiggler

Post by david_rothbaum » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 pm

awesome!!!

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:03 pm

whimsical wrote:Apologies it's taken a little while to confirm our modification would solve the issue, but finally have confirmation that Metropolis is safe as a result. Unfortunately the modification is quite involved and requires the module be sent in to be implemented.
If you'd like to know more, have a read through the updated outline here which details how to send your module in for repair if you so desire.
Great news! Thank you for looking out for your customers!

pzoot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pzoot » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 pm

Very classy solution ... makes me 1) want to buy a JF (not that I needed an excuse!!) and 2) want to contribute to a standards setting organization so that well intended manufactures (who I assume get hit pretty hard when these types of risks materialize) don't have to deal with these types of risks anymore. I read all the posts on how hard and impractical it would be, but seems worth it to me. But what do I know (seriously)

Nofrenchtests
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nofrenchtests » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:45 am

Awesome news from Mannequins and I thank them whole heartedly for not throwing us under the bus. I love the Just Friends and with this assurance I'll be picking up a second.

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 am

Just sent mine from Australia

Jondue
Common Wiggler

Post by Jondue » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:04 pm

whimsical wrote:Apologies it's taken a little while to confirm our modification would solve the issue, but finally have confirmation that Metropolis is safe as a result. Unfortunately the modification is quite involved and requires the module be sent in to be implemented.
I'm curious if there will be any kind of recall of JF from retailers. If I were to go buy a Just Friends in a month or so, should I expect to be sending it in for the mod?

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Jondue wrote:
I'm curious if there will be any kind of recall of JF from retailers. If I were to go buy a Just Friends in a month or so, should I expect to be sending it in for the mod?
No, I've been told in an email that they are also going through fixing the existing stock at the retailers so the turnaround of individiual units might not be super fast. They did mention on the lines forum that they are prioritizing units sent by existing customers though.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Sent my JF off for repair. A little bit shaky, sweaty, and irritable, but we're going to get through this. :deadbanana:

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Thanks to Intellijel too

Post by funqpatrol » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 am

Also just wanted to emphasis that Intellijel kindly repaired my damaged Metropolis completely free of charges, so big thanks to them as well, testiment to great customer service. Thanks guys! :) Sent my just friends for the RUN mod, this put my confidence back in WR, probably going to get a second one of what is a "killer" module so to speak. :)

loachhat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by loachhat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Dunno about other retailers, but Control has a note that they're only selling the improved versions.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:37 pm

loachhat wrote:Dunno about other retailers, but Control has a note that they're only selling the improved versions.
Oh hey, thanks for pointing that out. I am pretty sure that's the case for other retailers as well, sort of confirming what I've been told via email.

nearly ghost
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nearly ghost » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Finally shipped my JF off to repair. Ahhh i bet he's got hundreds of them there already and mines shipping all the way from Malta! I really hope it doesn't take months to get it back.. I already have detachment anxiety :hihi:

Jondue
Common Wiggler

Post by Jondue » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:39 pm

atrostor wrote:
Jondue wrote:
No, I've been told in an email that they are also going through fixing the existing stock at the retailers so the turnaround of individiual units might not be super fast. They did mention on the lines forum that they are prioritizing units sent by existing customers though.
Excellent, this is great news! :yay:

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:43 pm

I use my just friends in all my patches amd I'm waiting the fix but I know I'll have separation anxiety when I send it off. I wish there was a more streamed lined option that takes less time.

I bought a module the ended up needing repairs so instead of having to wait the manufacturer is just sending the new PCB and I just have to send the broken one back. I know some might not like having to swap the face plate themselves but at leat this is much quicker.

Also being in Australia the cost of sending the module economically means slow shipping.

Anyone know how long it will take to post and have it returned?
Last edited by adh82 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”